RPG in modern times?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 foggy666
Member since 2003 • 1123 Posts
Is there a RPG in modern times without magic, orcs elvs or aliens, lasers weapon etc.
I mean all the RPGs are either fantasy or sci-fi, what about a game like GTA, but in which you make the choices, in conversations and the way you play the game and missions, being able to talk to NPCs, having a trade system.
Maybe even have few cities and towns. something like GTA meets Fallout.
en-z-io

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 en-z-io
Member since 2004 • 3390 Posts
That would be awesome, I've always wanted to play a modern day RPG. Not sure of any though :(
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

well.. there is vampire the masquerade: bloodlines

it has vampires and all but its in modern times, you go around cities, talk to people, you buy guns and uzis, you can go to strip clubs and stuff like that

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 foggy666

it has vampires and all but its in modern times, you go around cities, talk to people, you buy guns and uzis, you can go to strip clubs and stuff like that

st1ka

played it to death, amazing buggy game

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

foggy666

played it to death, amazing buggy game

Definitely need to get the unofficial patches for that game to be playable, once you get them its not that bad.

As far as the topic is concerned..... I don't think I've ever heard of a modern RPG.. Now I'm kind of craving one as well. The closest thing I could think of is Stalker, but thats not modern and it doesn't have many RPG elements....There's also the fact that partial sci-fi (mutants) are involved.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Colonel_Cool
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts
The only modern day one I know of is Super Columbine Massacre RPG.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
The only modern day one I know of is Super Columbine Massacre RPG.Colonel_Cool

Lol, thats an FPS isn't it? the one the Columbine shooters practiced with?
Rawrmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rawrmachine
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts
Shenmue 1 & 2, it's for dreamcast though.
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

Mass Effect is an RPG, but its set in a futuristic time period, rather than modern or historical.

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 foggy666

Mass Effect is an RPG, but its set in a futuristic time period, rather than modern or historical.

PandaBear86

already have it, its nice, but it didnt engage me for some reason, and its sci-fi.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
[QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

foggy666

already have it, its nice, but it didnt engage me for some reason, and its sci-fi.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is another game I can think of now, although it may feel too close to Mass Effect.

Hellgate London is similar to Diablo 2 and is set is futuristic London, where there are demons invading the land, so that game is mixed.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="foggy666"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

Mass Effect is an RPG, but its set in afuturistictime period, rather than modern or historical.

PandaBear86

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is another game I can think of now, although it may feel too close to Mass Effect.

Hellgate London is similar to Diablo 2 and is set is futuristic London, where there are demonsinvading the land, so that game is mixed.

Future does not = modern.

no demons in modern times either.
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Colonel_Cool
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts
[QUOTE="Colonel_Cool"]The only modern day one I know of is Super Columbine Massacre RPG.Nibroc420

Hence the name Super Columbine Massacre RPG.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Colonel_Cool"]The only modern day one I know of is Super Columbine Massacre RPG.Colonel_Cool

Hence the name Super Columbine Massacre RPG.

There are FPS/RPG games..
foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 foggy666
[QUOTE="foggy666"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

PandaBear86

Hellgate London is similar to Diablo 2 and is set is futuristic London, where there are demons invading the land, so that game is mixed.

well i played KOTOR, and also played Hellgate demo (wasnt too impressed), still im look for a not-sci fi, nor fatansy RPG.
it cant be that no one ever thought of something like this

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="PandaBear86"][QUOTE="foggy666"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

foggy666

well i played KOTOR, and also played Hellgate demo (wasnt too impressed), still im look for a not-sci fi, nor fatansy RPG.

I think developers would see that as boring, i mean, why not just go out and play soccer with friends, instead of going outside and playing soccer on a computer...

Reminds me, Second life. (eww)
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts
I was going to say Deus Ex. But you said no aliens or sci-fi. It's mostly "modern" with some sci-fi elements tossed in for coolness.
WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts

Considering how popular the old pen and paper game Top Secret was in it's heyday, and how popular spy shooters have been like the No One Lives Forever series. I'm surprised someone hasn't made a computer RPG version of Top Secret. Does TSR/Wizards of the Coast still have the rights to that? Or someone else? I wonder...

There was a pretty good, for it's age, computer RPG from the 90s translated from the pen and paper Twilight: 2000. An update of that would be in order as well.

As you can see, the material is out there for a present day RPG, if only the licenses are acquired.

Alternatively there are lots of Japanese RPGs set in the current period, but they usually involve being a male pupil in a school completely populated with girls who want to have sex with you, some campy nude stills, and you'd have to import them and know Japanese.

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foggy666
[QUOTE="foggy666"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"][QUOTE="foggy666"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

Nibroc420

I think developers would see that as boring, i mean, why not just go out and play soccer with friends, instead of going outside and playing soccer on a computer...

do you usually play with guns, missiles, and high speed car chases while being inside an intersting plot, with your friends? i never ment that you cook omlets before going to be a waste desposal technician in this kind of game.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nibroc420
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="foggy666"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"][QUOTE="foggy666"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

foggy666

do you usually play with guns, missiles, and high speed car chases while being inside an intersting plot, with your friends? i never ment that you cook omlets before going to be a waste desposal technician in this kind of game.

Well, I do accually. Dont tell though, i don't think it's legal for me to have laser guided missles.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

Is there a RPG in modern times without magic, orcs elvs or aliens, lasers weapon etc.
I mean all the RPGs are either fantasy or sci-fi, what about a game like GTA, but in which you make the choices, in conversations and the way you play the game and missions, being able to talk to NPCs, having a trade system.
Maybe even have few cities and towns. something like GTA meets Fallout.foggy666

vampire: the masquerade - bloodlines.

also, mass effect doesn't have lasers.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines

Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption progresses from medieval to modern time, but the game isn't as good as Bloodlines and is nothing special

There's the Fallout series, a turn based post apocalyptic RPG

Alpha Protocol will be in modern times, but since it's Obsidian you can expect a VERY buggy game with a cliche linear lame story

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foggy666

I was going to say Deus Ex. But you said no aliens or sci-fi. It's mostly "modern" with some sci-fi elements tossed in for coolness.Qixote

deus ex is a great game, but its futurastic cyber-punk, and i see it more like FPS with rpg elements rather than a full RPG.

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 foggy666

[QUOTE="foggy666"]Is there a RPG in modern times without magic, orcs elvs or aliens, lasers weapon etc.
Maybe even have few cities and towns. something like GTA meets Fallout.fireandcloud

vampire: the masquerade - bloddlines.

also, mass effect doesn't have lasers.

i guess not, but its still sci-fi, when i said GTA meets fallout, i only meant as a gameplay mechanic, not as time and place, after all fallout does have lasers and its in the future. besides its not the lasers that bothers me, in fact i have no problem with either fantasy or sci-fi, i just crave for some modern day, not super-natural, RPG experience that doesn't involve mutants, and yet has all the important things that define true RPGs.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

[QUOTE="Qixote"]I was going to say Deus Ex. But you said no aliens or sci-fi. It's mostly "modern" with some sci-fi elements tossed in for coolness.foggy666

deus ex is a great game, but its futurastic cyber-punk, and i see it more like FPS with rpg elements rather than a full RPG.

I found it's RPG elements much deeper than many of those "full RPG" games.

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foggy666
[QUOTE="foggy666"]

[QUOTE="Qixote"]I was going to say Deus Ex. But you said no aliens or sci-fi. It's mostly "modern" with some sci-fi elements tossed in for coolness.Qixote

I found it's RPG elements much deeper than many of those "full RPG" games.

ye, some of the side missions are very fun, the great thing about deus ex is the interaction with the world and NPCs that feel alive, and when i took a mission i actually cared for the person, unlike some RPG that i did the missions just to get more exp and "quest completed" note.

Ian_MF_Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ian_MF_Maxwell
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

If you have a computer Earthbound and Mother 2 for the SNES are really great top-down RPGs set in modern times (with some robots thrown in for spice.) These games are amazing, however you may need to find an english translation patch for Earthbound (it was never released in America). If you dont mind using emulators, these will probably be your best bet. Until Alpha Protocol brings the idea of modern RPGs back.

Hope this helps.

keyboardtop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 keyboardtop
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I wish Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines wasn't so buggy. I wouldn't mind playing an modern day rpg, I wonder why there hasnt been more of these type of games.
lived_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lived_basic
Member since 2002 • 315 Posts

The only recent one I can think of is for the DS, The World Ends With You. It takes place in modern day Japan and has a pretty high review score across the board. As far as PC goes I can't think of any except for the FPS games with some RPG elements like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for example.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Just wait for Alpha Protocol.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts
[QUOTE="PandaBear86"][QUOTE="foggy666"]

Nibroc420

Hellgate London is similar to Diablo 2 and is set is futuristic London, where there are demonsinvading the land, so that game is mixed.

So, what your saying, is that there were demons at some other point in time?

Sordidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sordidus
Member since 2008 • 2036 Posts

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines

Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption progresses from medieval to modern time, but the game isn't as good as Bloodlines and is nothing special

There's the Fallout series, a turn based post apocalyptic RPG

Alpha Protocol will be in modern times, but since it's Obsidian you can expect a VERY buggy game with a cliche linear lame story

Darth_Kane

Actually Obsidian it's one of the RPG developers...

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
[QUOTE="PandaBear86"][QUOTE="foggy666"]

Nibroc420

What!!! Future does not = modern? What about historical = modern????? But really people if you feel like posting Future RPGs than why not just start spamming Shooters or a Racing game?

I can't really think of a modern one, but i know this isn't modern, but Fallout 3 is probably one of the closer ones considering that is is medieval times, fantasy, or sci fi. It is Futuristic/Historical which would be the closest i can think of.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Have you looked into Jagged Alliance 2? I think it's heavy on strategy but still has a lot of RPG elements. Just my impressions, though, I have yet to play the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/jaggedalliance2/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts
[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="PandaBear86"]

warmaster670

So, what your saying, is that there were demons at some other point in time?

Demons = Fantasy or it could also = Real, but not current.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
Silent Storm has RPG elements (like leveling, stats, weapons, ect) but is probably not what you are looking for.
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Maybe even have few cities and towns. something like GTA meets Fallout.

foggy666

I can't think of any that don't feature some kind of monster or alien. Deus Ex, Vampires: Bloodlines and Boiling Point: Road To Hell are about the closest to 'modern times' as we've got so far. That's why I'm looking forward to Alpha Protocol, and possibly White Gold (by the same devs as Boiling Point) which seems to be more grounded in 'modern times'. I'm a bit sick of the same old fantasy fare with Orcs, Elves and Dwarves myself. I don't mind SF RPGs, if they bring something interesting to the table, but there is a real dearth of down-to-earth modern day settings for this genre. I'd still like to see an RPG set in 1930s USA where you can play a Private Eye and take on cases for different clients while uncovering some wider nefarious conspiracy.

Sonir77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sonir77
Member since 2006 • 1846 Posts
The Persona games on PS2 are really good modern rpgs
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#40 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
I wish Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines wasn't so buggy. I wouldn't mind playing an modern day rpg, I wonder why there hasnt been more of these type of games.keyboardtop
Just use the unofficial patches - it works great.
shaneras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shaneras
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts
There is a game coming out called Alpha Protocol, made by Obsidian. Im not sure when it comes out but, it looks cool.
ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts

st1ka
One of the best games out there! Play it....NAOW!
Hellboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#43 Hellboard
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts

st1ka
bliah.. but thats me
Hellboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#44 Hellboard
Member since 2008 • 2429 Posts
dont flame me but i remember an old game escape from paradise city...
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
While it is definitely more FPS than anything else, STALKER does have some RPG elements and is set in roughly modern times. No fighting aliens - mostly just humans, with some mutated dogs, wild boar etc. You have an inventory, weight limit, can trade with most characters you meet, and have very basic conversations with them. Plenty of weapons and some customisation there, as well as managing benefits from artefacts. Not RPG, but a thinking FPS is probably the best way to describe it :)
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

Darth_Kane

Buggy? Yes. Linear? Maybe (but that means nothing - so was Torment). Cliche lame story? I doubt it - the lead designer is the guy behind Torment (once again).

sega31098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 sega31098
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts

If you have a computer Earthbound and Mother 2 for the SNES are really great top-down RPGs set in modern times (with some robots thrown in for spice.) These games are amazing, however you may need to find an english translation patch for Earthbound (it was never released in America). If you dont mind using emulators, these will probably be your best bet. Until Alpha Protocol brings the idea of modern RPGs back.

Hope this helps.

Ian_MF_Maxwell

Earthbound (Mother 2) was released for the SNES in the US. It's Mother and Mother 3 that was unreleased in the US.

faddymandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 faddymandude
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

JAGGED ALLIANCE 2!

It kicks serious butt, and is in modern times, modern weapons, no bs.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

Hellboard
bliah.. but thats me

what? anyway its good but dont you dare to use guns in that game, i used a weapons character and i ended up playing with meele.... vey unbalanced game.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

i think you can play Sims as a rpg. also, you might want to check out the upcoming Alpha Protocal. It's an espionage rpg. there's bound to be some fancy gadgets, but the context is perfectly modern.