Rainbow Six Siege Thread

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Nick3306 said:

They have confirmed a hardcore mode and options that are supposed to make it appeal more for competitive gaming. That's great news for people like me who can't stand CS:GO.

They're doing a lot of things to give off the idea that this game is competitive in hopes that it gets picked up by the competitive community but it has three major issues IMO

- Netcode. This is a game where you will run around a corner for cover from gunfire and die a second after you've taken cover. A killcam will then show that the guy who killed you just sprayed bullets into thin air.

- Matchmaking. The ranked matchmaking had 0 effort put into it. I'm not even convinced that it works in the slightest. Most players play casual so you have to wait a lot longer to get into a game. There's no real incentive for anyone to play ranked, and because casual is always an option, it's too easy and fun to just wreck new players there.

- Pacing. There's a lot of down-time and slow moments. Lots of wait in between rounds and phases. For the competitive gaming side of things to really take off, the game has to be fun to watch, and Rainbow Six Siege is just a little too heavily segmented and slow paced to be appealing to watch for most players.

Lastly, the game is full of cheese. Silly camping strategies, unbeatable tactics, etc. This is where I find the game charming because I can come out on top 90% of the time by replicating the same strategies. I can play this game drunk, taking turns with my drunk friends, and still come out top in a match by re-using certain tactics.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@Nick3306 said:

They have confirmed a hardcore mode and options that are supposed to make it appeal more for competitive gaming. That's great news for people like me who can't stand CS:GO.

They're doing a lot of things to give off the idea that this game is competitive in hopes that it gets picked up by the competitive community but it has three major issues IMO

- Netcode. This is a game where you will run around a corner for cover from gunfire and die a second after you've taken cover. A killcam will then show that the guy who killed you just sprayed bullets into thin air.

- Matchmaking. The ranked matchmaking had 0 effort put into it. I'm not even convinced that it works in the slightest. Most players play casual so you have to wait a lot longer to get into a game. There's no real incentive for anyone to play ranked, and because casual is always an option, it's too easy and fun to just wreck new players there.

- Pacing. There's a lot of down-time and slow moments. Lots of wait in between rounds and phases. For the competitive gaming side of things to really take off, the game has to be fun to watch, and Rainbow Six Siege is just a little too heavily segmented and slow paced to be appealing to watch for most players.

Lastly, the game is full of cheese. Silly camping strategies, unbeatable tactics, etc. This is where I find the game charming because I can come out on top 90% of the time by replicating the same strategies. I can play this game drunk, taking turns with my drunk friends, and still come out top in a match by re-using certain tactics.

The other two arguments are interesting and definitely would ruin any competitive attempts on this game but the third argument is ridiculous to me. I understand that it could never get as big as something like CS:GO due to the pace, but that's fine. I know I'm a small percentage that enjoys watching slow moving games over the "exciting" games like cs:go where everyone is just running around firing from the hip like a bunch of people who have never touched a gun before. It would still be nice to have some form of tactical shooter become at least a tiny bit popular like AA2 was back in the day.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#53  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17838 Posts

@Nick3306: I miss the old America's Army days. IMO, it is the greatest tactical shooter ever. It was accessible, but had nice depth to the gameplay. I miss sneaking through the vents in pipeline to hack the control panel, cracking open doors just a bit to get a peek at another area. Good times. :)

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@BassMan: The new AA had promise but the slow updates kinda killed it. Lots of people still play but the competitive side is pretty dead now days.