Poll: Will Age of Conan topple World of Warcraft?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts

Hey, everyone. I'm creating this poll just to see what the general consensus is on Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures' chances to displace World of Warcraft as the king of MMORPGs. Your input will be appreciated.

bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts

*Guild wars will kill WoW*

*Vanguard will kill WoW*

*Hellgate london will kill WoW*

*Lord of the rings online will kill WoW*

None of succeeded in killing WoW and Conan wont either.

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
The only thing that can topple WoW is... another WoW.
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
Highly unlikely. WoW is a monster that can only be killed by another Blizzard MMO. And even then it would be a long-winded gradual process over a year or two.
GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GSU28
I thank you for input, but I cordially disagree. I believe it will be slow, but once word spreads it will gather into a tempest. Alas, this might just be my hopes talking.
GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GSU28
I hope people check out the three consecutive videos at http://www.ageofconan.com/ I do believe there is much potential to be had in this game.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

I thank you for input, but I cordially disagree. I believe it will be slow, but once word spreads it will gather into a tempest. Alas, this might just be my hopes talking.GSU28

Two things...

1) You can disagree all you want, but it's not going to happen.

2) Why do you hope WoW will get toppled? Are you some kind of scorned lover of WoW? What incentive do you get if WoW dies? A cookie?

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

No, I seriously doubt it. World of Warcraft has ten million active subscribers. How many unit sales? I have no idea. Fifteen or twenty million? I can't even begin to imagine. And WoW's popularity is still climbing.

World of Warcraft is a behemoth. No one hero is going to enter its lair and return with its head. It cannot be killed by one hero alone. No, it will take a whole army of heroes, hacking away at this vast, terrible monster before it falls.

Age of Conan can't do it alone... but Age of Conan and Warhammer Online and World of Darkness and Stargate Worlds and Star Trek Online and Warhammer 40K Online and the Firefly MMO - maybe they could kill the beast.

There are very few MMOs out today that are actually any good. EverQuest, pre-expansion Star Wars Galaxies, Dark Age of Camelot... that's about it. But there are a lot of MMOs in development that either look or are very, very good. The MMO playerbase is ultimately finite, and the more good MMOs there are, the harder WoW has to fight.

But no, one single game will not kill WoW. Not now.

Av177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Av177
Member since 2006 • 158 Posts
Player housing?
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts
Screw age of Conan.....warhammer online has more of a chance.
NicotineKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NicotineKid
Member since 2006 • 1475 Posts

No MMO beats WoW, Warhammer online might become a strong competitor though.

Av177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Av177
I just want player housing :(
--Rampage--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 --Rampage--
Member since 2008 • 212 Posts
The only game that had a chance of stopping the beast was pre-cu star wars galaxies. It was a masterpiece.
Av177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Av177

The only game that had a chance of stopping the beast was pre-cu star wars galaxies. It was a masterpiece.--Rampage--

A agree, and it had player housing ;)

WDT-BlackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WDT-BlackKat
Member since 2008 • 1779 Posts

I just want player housing :(Av177

Why? So you can have virtual tea parties?

If you're online you should be out killing things and raiding. Not redecorating.

NicotineKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NicotineKid
Member since 2006 • 1475 Posts

The only game that had a chance of stopping the beast was pre-cu star wars galaxies. It was a masterpiece.--Rampage--
Couldn't agree more.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
Some may laugh at me for saying this but lol what the heck. A Pokemon MMO can defiantly stand a chance espically if it's developed by some great developers.
mon_bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mon_bus
Member since 2007 • 147 Posts

Even if Age of Conan turns out to be a great game, I doubt it can outdo WoW. Part of WoW's success is the fanbase Blizzard already had from Starcraft and WC3. Also, the age restriction might have an impact. In general, WoW seems more accessible to a wide range of audience, and it doesn't seem AoC will have that broad appeal.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Probably not.

Guild Wars 2 will! Haha, I just had to do it. :P

I think you have to consider that another factor is that if you put time into a game, you grow/develop a certain amount of loyalty to that game, so to just up and quit any game for another takes alot.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Good graphics, but DIRE combat system, is not enough ...

+ its 360 aswell so you know its going to be casualized crap.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
No. And by the time GW2 is released WoW will already have released another expansion and made twice as much money. The only game that has a chance at this point is Warhammer Online, who's theme is the father of Warcraft, and who's developers are more established than Blizzard in the MMO market.
Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts
What makes WoW so popular is the System Requirements. And AoC doesnt seem to go near there.
jamesseery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jamesseery
Member since 2005 • 356 Posts
I just don't think it will have the broad market appeal to topple WOW regardless of how good it might end up being.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
Naah, wow cannot be toppled by anything other than a Diablo MMO :P
GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GSU28

[QUOTE="GSU28"]I thank you for input, but I cordially disagree. I believe it will be slow, but once word spreads it will gather into a tempest. Alas, this might just be my hopes talking.dnuggs40

Two things...

1) You can disagree all you want, but it's not going to happen.

2) Why do you hope WoW will get toppled? Are you some kind of scorned lover of WoW? What incentive do you get if WoW dies? A cookie?

I don't hope WoW dies, I just want AoC to be as or more successful.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts
Half of WoW's player base is in Asia, so in order to topple it the game would have to be popular there.
GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GSU28
Well, I can see where this is going. Oh, and to the comment about pre-cu SWG, I also agree. That game was amazing before SOE destroyed it.
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

In order for that to happen, the entire WoW customer base would have to be disillusioned with the fact that Blizzard doesn't give two craps about them and they only want their money. I don't know if that's actually the case or not but that's how EQ was toppled by WoW.

Most people that played EQ back in the day gave it up because Verant treated them like virtual slaves and people didn't want to put up with their crap any more. There was a mass exodus to WoW from EQ. It was really the day EQ died...

I don't expect anything like that to happen to WoW for at least another five years...Blizzard will get sloppy or they'll offer something even better.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts

Back in the day, they used to say, "Nothing can beat Everquest."

But is Age of Conan going be the one to do it? Not likely.

outbreak201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 outbreak201
Member since 2005 • 8372 Posts

1) Can Conan run on a casual computer?

2) Do people even know about this game? hell i just found out today what it was

3) When ever a mmorpg comes out they say its gonna kill wow.

the ONLY mmorpg that has a chance of killing wow is Warhamer online. Not only because it looks similar its because it has a HUGE fan base cause of the table top games that were around in the 1980s to present.

Avatar image for silent_morpheus
silent_morpheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 silent_morpheus
Member since 2003 • 118 Posts

The only game that will pull gamers from WoW is infact Starcraft 2 assuming it has no monthly fees. Either way, Blizzard wins.

Yes, I know they're different genres but many gamers remain loyal to blizzard simply because blizzard is known for quality games.

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 foggy666
Member since 2003 • 1123 Posts
no it wont, i didnt play Wow, didnt play Conan, and yet I know it will not topple it. why? because after you invest so much money and time into a game, its not worth leaving. this question rise everytime when a new MMO comes along, but its natural.
Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts
no,because 14 year old boys and girls won't be able to have an cute blood elf as an avatar
Flaming_Spoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Flaming_Spoon
Member since 2008 • 289 Posts
The only thing that would ever stand up to WoW is WoW 2, or mabye Diablo 3
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

WoW will never be toppled. I think it will always remain a popular game even past the year 2015...hell, there are still folks playing Diablo 2 and Starcraft.

The game is fun, it plays on anythng, its got a large community full of generally nice people. ANYONE can play it.

Now, as for Conan, I think it will get very popular provided it is a quality game. To me, Conan seems like the anti-generic Fantasy MMO; it will take place in a fantasy setting and it will have skills and stuff, yes, but everything else seems fairly unique. You can build settlements, the combat is real time (what I am looking forward to the most), the PvP seems great, the first 20 levels are offline (so youre guarenteed to get your money's worth, and if you like it you subscribe!), and many other things.

No, nothing will topple WoW short of WoW 2. But others can come close. I think the best MMOs of the future, however, will be the ones dedicated to maintaing a great game: EVE isnt successful relative to WoW, but it is a great game and is successful enough that the developers have maintained it as a credit to the MMO genre. Same with LOTRO and, to an extend, Guild Wars (tho its not an MMO)

waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts

no

but the fight will be between Age of Conan and Warhammer Online

whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

Reading this thread i actually thought it was a joke thread, but reading through it i see it isn't which is fine so i answered No it has no chance just like 90% of the others and I'll give my opinion why.

I like most others believe for one warhammer has a much greater chance of taking WoW out than AoC and warhammer really has no chance either, but i do think they will get a nice chunk of the market maybe somehwere around where guild wars is 2 - 3 million people within maybe 12 -18 months of release. I don't know if AoC will be a great game but i think it has a better chance of being another Vanguard than another great game. It promises alot which it may not deliver and it needs a hog of a machine to run it well, so not very accessible to casual gamers. Also AoC doesn't have the gamer fanbase that warhammer has and def not what Warcraft had. You gotta remember before WoW launched there was major success with warcraft 1, 2,3 and Starcraft + diablo. Warhammer has 25 years in with table top games, semi to really successful RTS style games and the team making the MMO have already created quite a good MMO in the early 2000's. so AoC basically no chance of taking over WoW IMO lucky to have 500,000 subscribers 12 months after launch.

Apathetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Apathetic
Member since 2003 • 51 Posts

Voted No, but as most of the people here have pointed out, a simple no isnt the entire answer.

Conan and Warhammer are both on the horizon, and they'll (probably) steal a decent chunk of the player base. Conan has itself an excellent literary base spanning a considerable number of years, plus a couple movies that it can use to draw people in. Warhammer too has an excellent background with a massive backlog of tabletop games and literary works, with a slew of RTS games along the way. But theres one hitch. Both a strongly PvP focused. I'm willing to bet many if not most PvP nuts from WoW will try one or both of the new MMOs, but ultimately its all going to come down to how good the gameplay of both is. If the gameplay is up to scratch, one or both of these games will put a nice dent in WoWs PvP player base, but i dont see the PvE side of things being shifted much. So in the end, WoW is really only going to get competition of 1 half of its focus, and as anyone who has been following WoWs development lately, they have been trying very hard to beef up the PvP side of their game.

Vic_Vega1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vic_Vega1994
Member since 2003 • 1397 Posts

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

hikari33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hikari33
Member since 2005 • 753 Posts
the only game i can think of would be warhammer, even though making warhammer 40 k would have been 100 times better since it would be one of the rare sci-fi MMOS, but anyways. Warhammer just has umlimited possiblities, where as i feel WoW is sorta restricted compare to Warhammer.
Avatar image for pcgamer_revival
pcgamer_revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pcgamer_revival
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

just to tell you guys but lineage 2 has beaten wow even look at wikipedia at "list of best selling video games" and go down to pc section lineage 2 has 15mil while wow has 10 mil

bignice12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bignice12
Member since 2003 • 2124 Posts

just to tell you guys but lineage 2 has beaten wow even look at wikipedia at "list of best selling video games" and go down to pc section lineage 2 has 15mil while wow has 10 mil

pcgamer_revival

15 million active subscribers paying at one time?

pcgamer_revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pcgamer_revival
btw im not trying to brag i myself play wow and not lineage 2
pcgamer_revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pcgamer_revival
it says so
pcgamer_revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pcgamer_revival
anyways aside from lineage 2 wow will always be the best mmo i play hours of that it's like virtual crack but i don't play excessively but it helps me unwind after work
cefiro80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cefiro80
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I think the WOW platform just has too much steam for the time being to be toppled.
hikari33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hikari33
Member since 2005 • 753 Posts
another reason WoW is so successful is because Blizzard is playing it smart in its marketing campaign, they are able to draw in 11 year olds by offering prepaid cards, these children are able to play WoW without having the bill sent thru the mail or billed to their parents credit card, i mean if WoW is getting such bad coverage about addiction why are there more subscribers every year.
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#48 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

It will have a better start then WoW if they stop delaying the game.

But it will implode soon after...don't think it will maintain the 500k subs in the long run...

TH3_1NF1D3L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TH3_1NF1D3L
Member since 2004 • 125 Posts
No, it won't. Like others have stated, I just want it to be successful.
Delius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Delius
Member since 2005 • 571 Posts
I'm looking forward to Conan, but It would be a miracle if it gets a quarter of the subscribers as WoW. The only thing I can think that may give WoW a run for its money in North America is what ever unnamed MMO blizzard is going to develop next.