Poll: Is Skyrim better than Morrowind?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Not sure how you could justify that either way, sans a poll or something, the point remains though. Lots of people do have similar RPG experience, and don't agree with the codex mindset. Their opinion holds no more weight than anyone else and categorizing the ones who disagree with them as casuals or inexperienced is just some superiority complex at work.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="bussinrounds"]

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"]I have not changed my mind... Skyrim is Oblivion v2.0 Better then oblivion. Worse then Morrowind. A good try with some improvments (handcrafted > copy paste) but its like the devs cant decide if they should make a action / adventure game or a rpg.KalDurenik

They're trying to do both and that's the problem. See my sig.

Yes thats what i meant ;)... Its trying to do both. Both are average at best due to that. There is no depth to the RPG part. And the combat / phase of the game is like 10 years old for a action game.

There is no depth to the mathematical masturbation part, you mean. I sure loved hitting something that's right in front of me and only 1/20 hits actually connecting!

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Not sure how you could justify that either way, sans a poll or something, the point remains though. Lots of people do have similar RPG experience, and don't agree with the codex mindset. Their opinion holds no more weight than anyone else and categorizing the ones who disagree with them as casuals or inexperienced is just some superiority complex at work.Renevent42
To me, as a gamer of over 30 years, it was a breath of fresh air finding a site where the majority isn't fapping over the newest flavor of the month constantly.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"][QUOTE="bussinrounds"] They're trying to do both and that's the problem. See my sig.

Baranga

Yes thats what i meant ;)... Its trying to do both. Both are average at best due to that. There is no depth to the RPG part. And the combat / phase of the game is like 10 years old for a action game.

There is no depth to the mathematical masturbation part, you mean. I sure loved hitting something that's right in front of me and only 1/20 hits actually connecting!

Why are you using Morrowind as the example when he didn't even mention it ? There are tons of more complex/deep Rpgs that have superior mechanics to Morrowind, btw.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Considering that almost any game under the sun is better than Morrowind, yes Skyrim kills it.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"][QUOTE="bussinrounds"] They're trying to do both and that's the problem. See my sig.

Baranga

3 things.

1) I understand how morrowind work and yes it have flaws. However even as flaws they still make sense in this part. You MISS because your CHARACTER is bad at using something. In other words the combat is not "twitch" based instead character stats / Skill based. While this system is badly done in morrowind (yes i said it) it makes some sense so i understand WHY im missing.

2)There are a lot of games with a lot better RPG mechanisms then Morrowind.

3)What i meant is that skyrim stops half way so its in this awkward "dead" zone where its not a good rpg system or a good action game. There are a lot of action games around that have better combat systems.

Also i agree on the Codex thing. Its a nice change to all the "bling bling = AWESOME" things now days.

Not saying Skyrim is a BAD game. But its not as some people have said "Future of rpg's" And if it is... Well dark days for rpgs...

Maybe 6/10 (better then average) but nothing special.

foggy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 foggy666
Member since 2003 • 1123 Posts

after more than 65 hours with the game i must say no - it not better than morrowing overall.

1. menu system - horrible and not optimized for PC at all.

2. very simple and linear quest lines (i guess since they put so much content in the game they had to cut on quest complexity)

3. the game is much more simple (three types of magic damage, three types of melee damage)

4. you are playing a glorified delivery boy that kills anything that stand in his path.

The game feels very very shallow to me - everything is very simple, most quests are basically the same action over and over.

The biggest problem is that all this also affects the quality of the story (both main quest and side quests) - it feels like a one line story.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"] Yes thats what i meant ;)... Its trying to do both. Both are average at best due to that. There is no depth to the RPG part. And the combat / phase of the game is like 10 years old for a action game.KalDurenik

3 things.

1) I understand how morrowind work and yes it have flaws. However even as flaws they still make sense in this part. You MISS because your CHARACTER is bad at using something. In other words the combat is not "twitch" based instead character stats / Skill based. While this system is badly done in morrowind (yes i said it) it makes some sense so i understand WHY im missing.

3)What i meant is that skyrim stops half way so its in this awkward "dead" zone where its not a good rpg system or a good action game. There are a lot of action games around that have better combat systems.

Also i agree on the Codex thing. Its a nice change to all the "bling bling = AWESOME" things now days.

Not saying Skyrim is a BAD game. But its not as some people have said "Future of rpg's" And if it is... Well dark days for rpgs...

1.) So taking immersion out of a game whose whole purpose is immersion is a good thing?

2.) Yes, Skyrim is one of them.

3.) Or it just hits the nail perfectly on the head and combines elements from completely different types of games very well. There is no game out there that does what Skyrim does better than Skyrim. The game isn't bad, just not suited to your tastes.

If you show someone today who has never played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim and ask them to play them in any order, I'm pretty sure they would say Skyrim is the best game out of all three, with Oblivion being second best and Morrowind the worst out of the three. Stop being blinded by nostalgia.

LPG13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 LPG13
Member since 2011 • 141 Posts
yes. this is the best elder scrolls, hands down.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"]

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

shakmaster13

3 things.

1.) So taking immersion out of a game whose whole purpose is immersion is a good thing?

2.) Yes, Skyrim is one of them.

3.) Or it just hits the nail perfectly on the head and combines elements from completely different types of games very well. There is no game out there that does what Skyrim does better than Skyrim. The game isn't bad, just not suited to your tastes.

If you show someone today who has never played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim and ask them to play them in any order, I'm pretty sure they would say Skyrim is the best game out of all three, with Oblivion being second best and Morrowind the worst out of the three. Stop being blinded by nostalgia.

1) That makes no sense. its meant to be rpg while the system itself is unbalanced and not made in a good way its based upon your character and now how good the player is at aiming. In skyrim aslong as you whack in the correct direction you will hit the target kinda like a fps (YES I SAID IT). 2) LOL hahahaha... Wait... You are serious O.o. Oblivion is Morrowind with a even dumber stats / skill system but twitch based so anyone can be good at using a weapon. Skyrim take it every further where a mage can deal more damage with a one hand weapon even if he have never used one then his best spells. 3) The problem is that it dont combine them in a good way. I have! My brother :> he first loved oblivion to death. I said its meh. He said Q.Q you are wrong its the best and most awesome rpg ever made (LOL), anyway i talked him into playing Morrowind at first he said it sucks "he cant hit stuffz" (in case you did not understand his rpg experience is at the level of fable / oblivion) but after a week or so he came back and told me... You are right the game is better. Do i win a cookie? Anyway he is playing skyrim and the first week when i said its only "abit better then oblivion but not special" he told me how wrong i was. Then a few days ago he was like... Yeah tbh im past the hype phase and its not that good. I hope mods will fix them problems with the game :(. Do i win a 2nd cookie?
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Uncertain. It's miles better than Oblivion though.

I MISS MY LEVITATION-SPELLS!

Technomancer82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Technomancer82
Member since 2011 • 215 Posts

I would have to say I find it a whole lot better than Morrowind. Never could get really into Morrowind at all, but am really enjoying my time with Skyrim