Plasma HDTV as computer moniter problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ericjames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ericjames
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts

I just bought a Panasonic TC-P42S1 to use with my ps3 and computer and i'm having a hard time getting it to look right as a computer moniter. I had been using a 720p Samsung and it looked just fine at 1360 x 768 but this one looks weird at every resolution i've tried. The text looks weird and the screen doesn't fill up the sides of my tv, there's two little black lines on either side whcih disapear if i zoom in with the tv remote but in full screan it's just not quite full. I'm not havning any issues with my ps3 or while watching cable, the tv is plugged into my Radeon HD 4870 X2 with an HDMI adapter.

Thanks for the help :)

ericjames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ericjames

Oh and I've gone through all the tv's settings and nothing fixes this, i guess it's possible that i missed something though.

chrissp7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 chrissp7
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts

Your problem is underscanning. Your ATI card, when running with HDMI, defaults to underscanning the display for some wierd reason, which gives it those black bars around the image.

You can fix this by going into Catalyst Control Center and in "Desktops & Displays" right click the picture of the TV in the bottom left corner (not the big rectangle in the middle, took me ages to figure this out) and click "configure." In here there should be a section where you can adjust the borders by moving a slider to the right.

That should fix your problem.

Sparticus247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sparticus247
Member since 2005 • 2368 Posts

There should be a wide Screen or Full screen option when using it as a PC moniter. I had the same issue as you did. Make sure to use your TVs "native" resolution or the picture won't be very good. Here's a pic of my HDTV setup as a moniter. After getting it working correctly it was great.

CutthroatCain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CutthroatCain
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
How big is your HDTV? If you don't mind me asking. I'd imagine that trying to use a big HDTV as a computer monitor would put strain on my eyes. I used to use a 26 inch widescreen monitor for my Xbox 360, PS3 and my computer.
ericjames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ericjames

OK so i got the TV to show up in the bottom left by clicking Force TV Detect under "If my device is not detected", but right clicking it doesn't bring up any options.

ericjames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ericjames

If I hover the mouse over the tv it says TV, Disabled. How do i enable it?

ericjames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ericjames

Bump