Planning on building in the coming days, any last minute changes your recommend?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

I plan on playing games maxed out at 1080p. I will be ordering these parts tomorrow most likely, I want to know if you have any better suggestions for me as I am new to this. Let me know if something needs to be improved or if I am overkill on any of the parts for maxing out games at 1080p. Thanks!

CPU - i5 3570k

GPU - Radeon 7970

Motherboard - MSI Z77A-G41

RAM - 8 GB Corsair 1600 mhz

HDD - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda

Case - Rosewill Challenger

Optical Drive - Just gonna use a DVD-RW drive from previous computer

PSU - Corsair CX600

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Looks very nice.

36225618.jpg

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Tx or Hx corsair psu. Cx is bit more budgety. Do a little more research on that, a reliable one will last you to the next rig.

Get a extreme 4 asrock z77. I have an msi board, not a big of fan of it. If you need bluetooth just buy a dongle.

Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Schreek

Tx or Hx corsair psu. Cx is bit more budgety. Do a little more research on that, a reliable one will last you to the next rig.

Get a extreme 4 asrock z77. I have an msi board, not a big of fan of it. If you need bluetooth just buy a dongle.

Bikouchu35

Alright, I will look into both of these, thank you!

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

All and all it looks pretty good. The GPU/CPU are nice and the motherboard is pretty good (I have the MSI Z77A-G45 version and overclocking is a breeeze on it). The only suggestion I would have is maybe the powersupply. You might want to get a higher end corsair (such as the TX model) or you might want more watts (your motherboard supports crossfire so if you think you might want to run another 7970 later down the road then get more wattage).

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Go Haswell. There's no point in going for the previous gen processors when there's a new one already out. It just means you'll have to upgrade AGAIN in another couple of years.

Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Schreek

Go Haswell. There's no point in going for the previous gen processors when there's a new one already out. It just means you'll have to upgrade AGAIN in another couple of years.

airshocker

I looked into it, and it unfortunately puts me over my budget. There are people still playing well with first gen Intel core processors and some even still playing well on old AMD Phenoms, so I think that staying with the 3570k for this build will still serve me well for more than a couple of years. If I am wrong, well then I made my own bed and I will suffer the consequences.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hartsickdiscipl

airshocker

While I agree that getting Haswell is probably an overall better choice, I don't think they are going to hold out much longer for gaming than an Ivy Bridge.  The performance gap just isn't there.  My reason for going LGA 1150 if building a new rig today has more to do with the possibility of keeping the same motherboard for the next generation of CPUs.  

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I plan on playing games maxed out at 1080p. I will be ordering these parts tomorrow most likely, I want to know if you have any better suggestions for me as I am new to this. Let me know if something needs to be improved or if I am overkill on any of the parts for maxing out games at 1080p. Thanks!

CPU - i5 3570k

GPU - Radeon 7970

PSU - Corsair CX600

Schreek

I would go asus or asrock instead of msi

I'd go western digital instead of seagate

Corsair cx series aren't as good, they can be noisy and are not as good quality as the tx series

what pcb are you buying that 7970 on, msi, sapphire, asus?

They sell haswell and ivy bridge mobo's on newegg with free 8gb ram

Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Schreek

[QUOTE="Schreek"]

CPU - i5 3570k

GPU - Radeon 7970

PSU - Corsair CX600

evildead6789

Corsair cx series aren't as good, they can be noisy and are not as good quality as the tx series

Alright, I will probably go Asrock then, I will go with a WD, I will look into the PSU, I am going with a Sapphire on the 7970, and do you happen to have links for these motherboards? If not I can just as easy get looking myself.

Edit: Wow, should I just get this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1327001 and then buy the 7970 on top of it?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 commander

[QUOTE="evildead6789"]

[QUOTE="Schreek"]

CPU - i5 3570k

GPU - Radeon 7970

PSU - Corsair CX600

Schreek

Alright, I will probably go Asrock then, I will go with a WD, I will look into the PSU, I am going with a Sapphire on the 7970, and do you happen to have links for these motherboards? If not I can just as easy get looking myself.

Edit: Wow, should I just get this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1327001 and then buy the 7970 on top of it?

That seems like an excellent deal The mobo deals with free ram do have some higher quality motherboards though This is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=PPSSFREEMEMZ87&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=100 I would choose this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131977 supports crossfire and sli
Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Schreek

[QUOTE="Schreek"]

[QUOTE="evildead6789"] I would go asus or asrock instead of msi

evildead6789

That seems like an excellent deal The mobo deals with free ram do have some higher quality motherboards though This is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=PPSSFREEMEMZ87&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=100 I would choose this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131977 supports crossfire and sli

Thank you very much for your help! Turns out I got a little more to think about before I order haha.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 commander

[QUOTE="evildead6789"][QUOTE="Schreek"]Alright, I will probably go Asrock then, I will go with a WD, I will look into the PSU, I am going with a Sapphire on the 7970, and do you happen to have links for these motherboards? If not I can just as easy get looking myself.

Schreek

Thank you very much for your help! Turns out I got a little more to think about before I order haha.

you're welcome, good luck with it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

While I agree that getting Haswell is probably an overall better choice, I don't think they are going to hold out much longer for gaming than an Ivy Bridge.  The performance gap just isn't there.  My reason for going LGA 1150 if building a new rig today has more to do with the possibility of keeping the same motherboard for the next generation of CPUs.  

hartsickdiscipl

Socket 1150 is here to stay. If he doesn't already have a socket 1155 mobo, or if he has a really old one, then he most definitely should go Haswell and switch over to 1150. It's not a dire upgrade for those of us who have Ivy Bridges, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I looked into it, and it unfortunately puts me over my budget. There are people still playing well with first gen Intel core processors and some even still playing well on old AMD Phenoms, so I think that staying with the 3570k for this build will still serve me well for more than a couple of years. If I am wrong, well then I made my own bed and I will suffer the consequences.

Schreek

So increase your budget. A Haswell won't break the bank and you'll thank me later when all you have to do is upgrade a CPU instead of a mobo + CPU.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

airshocker

Socket 1150 is here to stay. If he doesn't already have a socket 1155 mobo, or if he has a really old one, then he most definitely should go Haswell and switch over to 1150. It's not a dire upgrade for those of us who have Ivy Bridges, though.

I just said that I would personally use LGA 1150 if building today.  Then again, it's not my money in the TC's case.  If he has a set budget, he has a set budget.  Money doesn't fall out of thin air.  Naturally people with Sandy/Ivy Bridge don't have much of a reason to upgrade to Haswell.  

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="Schreek"]

airshocker

So increase your budget. A Haswell won't break the bank and you'll thank me later when all you have to do is upgrade a CPU instead of a mobo + CPU.

You want to give him the money?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I just said that I would personally use LGA 1150 if building today.  Then again, it's not my money in the TC's case.  If he has a set budget, he has a set budget.  Money doesn't fall out of thin air.  Naturally people with Sandy/Ivy Bridge don't have much of a reason to upgrade to Haswell.  

hartsickdiscipl

Doesn't change my advice.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="Schreek"]

hartsickdiscipl

You want to give him the money?

bwahahaha airshockerHBO

thats-how-its-done-son-77928454.jpg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

bwahahaha airshockerHBO

ionusX

You're a really weird user.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

bwahahaha airshockerHBO

airshocker

You're a really weird user.

and your rather well known on GS for being a troll and a conspiracy nut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

ionusX

You're calling ME a conspiracy nut when you have harts right over there? Stop trolling, bro. Go back to your mediocre thread creations that no one pays attention to.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

airshocker

You're calling ME a conspiracy nut when you have harts right over there? Stop trolling, bro. Go back to your mediocre thread creations that no one pays attention to.

poor airshocker be mad jelly
2ScoopsofJellyn.jpg 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

poor airshocker be mad jelly

2ScoopsofJellyn.jpg 

ionusX

Jealous of what? You haven't made a decent thread---in any board you've posted on---in a very long time. Either it's inane drivel on OT, or shit we've already heard about weeks beforehand in the PC games section.

You're trying too hard.