Onlive: The next revolution in PC gaming

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
This is actually reallyy cool if it does well its a definite buy for me =] i support this kind of stuff even though my main pc gaming will be done on the pc
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]The person who tried it at GDC09 was a game journalist. Regarding them having the equipment in the back room in order to fool the people testing it out...well I guess that could be true. I have a very hard time believing this is the case though. These guys obviously have invested MILLIONS of dollars and have been working on it for 7 years...

According to penny arcede, "The machines that served the content were situated in a room not ten feet away, connected via gigabit ethernet." Definitely better than what we'll be getting out of this service.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

I just hope that people living outside of the UK and Canada dont get screwed with this like usual, and also imagine the input lag that non US players would get, they would have to be INSANELY good at programming to cut down that lag to be almost un-noticable. Hell even Xbox live on a US server can be an absolute joke, and I have an 8MB connection.

iki080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 iki080
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts

very interesting thanks

Royas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#105 Royas
Member since 2002 • 1448 Posts

Sounds a lot like the Phantom console that used to get talked about. I gotta admit, my initial reaction to this isn't positive. It sounds.. nice.. I guess. But I really doubt it's as good as they talk it up. Sure the demo went smoothly, but you expect that. They would have set up their demo to work as perfectly as possible. You don't do a demo unless you are SURE it's going to work properly, even if you have to stack the deck in your favor.

On the issue of input latency, there really is no way around that. Electrical and optical signals travel at a certain speed, they can't be sped up. The physical laws of the universe are locking that down. It's like a satellite connection, there's delay, it takes time for the signal to travel. I don't care what fancy compression systems they have in place, you can't compress the speed of light. The signal will only move so quickly, and that's all there is to it. If they've managed to solve that one... well, they really are wasting their time using their super genius to make gaming stuff, they should be out there building a warp drive.

I also doubt the big names are signing on to improve gaming in general. They just see a distribution method that leaves them in absolute control. They'll get to choose when you play, how often you can play, and for how long. I don't like the idea of (for example) EA with that kind of power over my games. They abuse their customer base now, how much more will they do if they have such a big stick. None of the other publishers and developers are any different, they all want the control, and they all want to sell you their software in a way that has you paying continually. That aspect of this system is indescribably bad.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

On the issue of input latency, there really is no way around that. Electrical and optical signals travel at a certain speed, they can't be sped up. The physical laws of the universe are locking that down. It's like a satellite connection, there's delay, it takes time for the signal to travel. I don't care what fancy compression systems they have in place, you can't compress the speed of light. The signal will only move so quickly, and that's all there is to it. If they've managed to solve that one... well, they really are wasting their time using their super genius to make gaming stuff, they should be out there building a warp drive.

Royas
I wouldn't worry too much about latency. The theoretical speed of electrical signals is between 66% and 96% of the speed of light, depending on the conductive cable. Latency really doesn't have to be an issue if the servers are well located.
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#107 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

Let's see: I go to a store and buy the physical disc, and can play it any time, even if my ISP is down.

-vs-

I pay a monthly fee, and pray my connection doesn't die in mid-game, even for a single-player game.

Not only that, but if this fails, I'm left with a $50-100 gadget that doesn't do anything.

Pass.

(PS: Does anyone else have the feeling that someone in this thread is being paid to hype this thing?)

Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Kaelken
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

The technology has been around for ages but it's finally being packaged into something that will change the face of PC gaming as we know it. Imagine playing crysis on a netbook....renting the full version of a game before you buy it....A console smaller than your hand and cheaper than a Wii to play games on your TV....

Onlive needs to launch RIGHT NOW imo!

Read up. This will be huge for PC gaming

http://pc.ign.com/articles/965/965535p2.html

TeamR

You play crysis ? lmao

So we get to play stagnated games on a smaller screen whopee **** doo

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
[QUOTE="F1_2004"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]The person who tried it at GDC09 was a game journalist. Regarding them having the equipment in the back room in order to fool the people testing it out...well I guess that could be true. I have a very hard time believing this is the case though. These guys obviously have invested MILLIONS of dollars and have been working on it for 7 years...

According to penny arcede, "The machines that served the content were situated in a room not ten feet away, connected via gigabit ethernet." Definitely better than what we'll be getting out of this service.

That was a demo of Phantom years ago bud.
I received an SMS from Robert late last night, no doubt typed at some Game Developer's Conference bacchanal, and something in the way it was formatted managed to communicate a breathless enthusiasm. I reminded him that years ago - during E3 That Was - we saw a demo of the Phantom that was impressive enough to elicit a purchase. The demo was that good. So good that I never wrote about it - it was, in fact, too good. The machines that served the content were situated in a room not ten feet away, connected via gigabit ethernet. Every time I pore over some unchecked torrent from an ecstatic new convert, I start to become very curious about topology.PennyArcade
Royas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#110 Royas
Member since 2002 • 1448 Posts

[QUOTE="Royas"]

jimmyjammer69

I wouldn't worry too much about latency. The theoretical speed of electrical signals is between 66% and 96% of the speed of light, depending on the conductive cable. Latency really doesn't have to be an issue if the servers are well located.

That is true, electrical and optical signals aren't exactly slow, I'll not argue that. But when you have potentially thousands of miles of 'em, you start seeing lag. And with every node and connection the signal has to pass through, every time the signal goes through a booster (for optical stuff), anything like that, you add lag. Links take time to pass a signal on, otherwise you wouldn't have ping on today's MP games. Basically, you are going to have all of the issues people have with current online games, only more. Instead of just passing along input data in relatively small amounts, this service is going to be cramming the entire game's graphics through the line. Again, I don't care what fancy compression algorithms they've made, There Will Be Lag. Graphical lag from their end, input lag from our end. It may be playable, but it won't be as responsive as having the game locally.

That said, if it gets more people into the PC gaming realm, it might still be a good thing. I'd like to see people realize what a PC can do. If it's bad, it may drive those same borderline people further away. Let's hope it works in at least some half-baked way.

elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 elitegeek13
Member since 2007 • 636 Posts

dude, if i could play Crysis on an MSI wind...OMG....

elitegeek13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 elitegeek13
Member since 2007 • 636 Posts
also, notice how in that video they showed none of the gameplay...hmmmm
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="F1_2004"][QUOTE="dnuggs40"]The person who tried it at GDC09 was a game journalist. Regarding them having the equipment in the back room in order to fool the people testing it out...well I guess that could be true. I have a very hard time believing this is the case though. These guys obviously have invested MILLIONS of dollars and have been working on it for 7 years...

That was a demo of Phantom years ago bud.
I received an SMS from Robert late last night, no doubt typed at some Game Developer's Conference bacchanal, and something in the way it was formatted managed to communicate a breathless enthusiasm. I reminded him that years ago - during E3 That Was - we saw a demo of the Phantom that was impressive enough to elicit a purchase. The demo was that good. So good that I never wrote about it - it was, in fact, too good. The machines that served the content were situated in a room not ten feet away, connected via gigabit ethernet. Every time I pore over some unchecked torrent from an ecstatic new convert, I start to become very curious about topology.PennyArcade

K, I thought it was referring to onlive, since in the IGN article they talk about their experience with onlive in a closed server / controlled environment and how it's still far away from a real-world test.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Didn't they say maximum resolution for games is 1280x720 (only with a really fast internet connection)? No thx, I'll stick with my locally stored game at 1680x1050 with no internet lag or usage.... OnLive = Epic Fail
0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts
this will make every computer a super computer? what..