Onlive: The next revolution in PC gaming

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

The technology has been around for ages but it's finally being packaged into something that will change the face of PC gaming as we know it. Imagine playing crysis on a netbook....renting the full version of a game before you buy it....A console smaller than your hand and cheaper than a Wii to play games on your TV....

Onlive needs to launch RIGHT NOW imo!

Read up. This will be huge for PC gaming

http://pc.ign.com/articles/965/965535p2.html

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Cept I don't see anythng about mods. And I think this would require a very powerful internet connection to use.

mattpunkgd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattpunkgd
Member since 2007 • 2198 Posts
So it organizes your games into a program.. and you can rent games. That isn't really that exciting.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TeamR

So it organizes your games into a program.. and you can rent games. That isn't really that exciting.mattpunkgd

what? make sense, please

Nicolas101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nicolas101
Member since 2008 • 491 Posts

This is heaps exciting. It uses compression, so it is not that big on your internet. And you can also play Crysis on a Macbook Air on full settings (which is not a gaming machine). Can't wait!!!!:D

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts
So it organizes your games into a program.. and you can rent games. That isn't really that exciting.mattpunkgd
Well not really. It means that (assuming that you've got fast enough internet, a big enough download limit, and you're close enough to the servers) you can run any game that they provide on any PC that supports the client. So you could run Crysis on pretty much any machine that you could buy today.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JangoWuzHere
Actually this sounds very exciting. However it may be vaporware which is what im thinking right now.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TeamR

Cept I don't see anythng about mods. And I think this would require a very powerful internet connection to use.

JangoWuzHere

A 1.5 mbps connection (which is usually what base-level DSL is rated at) is required for standard-definition video (480p), while a 5.0 mbps connection is required for HD (720p).

Sorry if your on dialup

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TeamR

Actually this sounds very exciting. However it may be vaporware which is what im thinking right now.JangoWuzHere

Sigh.....It's already up and running at GDC. And many of the biggest publishers in the industry have already signed on. It may fail, but it's not vaporware

brood_aliance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 brood_aliance
Member since 2004 • 1005 Posts

Sounds extremely interesting.

Brag Clips, I can just use XFire, but the seamless streaming, now thats interesting. If I can play 360, PS3, and Wii games on this, I don't care if its $400+ and a $20 monthly fee, I'm getting this.

wehertn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wehertn
Member since 2003 • 1469 Posts

thsi could be what the industry needs this could perfect pc gaming in a way never seen before

DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

So did I just shell out a thousand bucks on my core i7 build for nothing? If so I'm gonna be very dissapointed.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

TeamR

A 1.5 mbps connection (which is usually what base-level DSL is rated at) is required for standard-definition video (480p), while a 5.0 mbps connection is required for HD (720p).

Sorry if your on dialup

I only have 350k internet:(. Well this sucks!(if its real)
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TeamR

So did I just shell out a thousand bucks on my core i7 build for nothing? If so I'm gonna be very dissapointed.

DJ419

I doubt it. Beta doesnt start til summer and I don't think it's going to TOTALLY replace gaming machines. Traditional gaming machines will definitly still be the better experience, but this will be a great option for people who just want to test/rent games, or who don't have powerful gaming machines

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
This is a very early step in a certain supercomputer's plan to conquer humanity.
jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

i dont like it:evil:

firstly cos i only have 350kb internet.

secondly cos it can only play at 720p.

thats roughly 1280 by 720 or thereabouts isnt it? my 17inch monitor has more than that. for this reason, i do not think it will succeed, much. certainly not with hardcore gamers.

G013M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 G013M
Member since 2006 • 6424 Posts
i do not think it will succeed, much. certainly not with hardcore gamersjpph
Their audience wouldn't really be gamers who already have desktop/laptop PCs which can already handle games like Crysis well (unless of course they wanted to rent the PC game). It'd be more people who don't have a well-spec'ed gaming PC for whatever reason, but who at the same time want to play the new PC releases that traditionally they wouldn't be able to.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

Interesting idea, but something tells me that performance and control response times will be very inconsistant. I have a feeling that this will fail, unless we see a new connection type spring up in the next few years that is both fast and affordable.

lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts
Input Delay, that is all.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

It's clever they pointed out using this for netbooks, because anything else for a PC Gamer will be rather useless. The advertisement hype is also quite amusing, almost similar to those Japan commercials on the cartoon channel Yes, even your sub $500 netbook or MacBook can play processor intensive, GPU demanding PC games. In fact, that's the whole point! Great, now I can buffer a 480p image on my netbook to make it much more painful to even view it on the the small screen for long playing times. The only interest I identify out of OnLive is being able to instant buffer a game demo, due to I have no patience to download a demo over 1GB in file size, granted I'm on a 1.6mb/sec .

Personally, I see publishers/developers attraction to this service is basically to exanimate the used game market on Consoles(GameStop, GameFly, BlockBuster); almost all the developers utilizing the service so far are console focused companies The best part? It already has serious buy-in from major publishers, including EA, THQ, Codemasters, Ubisoft, Atari, Warner Bros., Take-Two, and Epic Games. Eh, I'll stick to processing power..

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OoSuperMarioO

It's clever they pointed out using this for netbooks, because anything else for a PC Gamer will be rather useless. The advertisement hype is also quite amusing, almost similar to those Japan commercials on the cartoon channel Yes, even your sub $500 netbook or MacBook can play processor intensive, GPU demanding PC games. In fact, that's the whole point! Great, now I can buffer a 480p image on my netbook to make it much more painful to even view it on the the small screen for long playing times. The only interest I identify out of OnLive is being able to instant buffer a game demo, due to I have no patience to download a demo over 1GB in file size, granted I'm on a 1.6mb/sec .

Personally, I see publishers/developers attraction to this service is basically to exanimate the used game market on Consoles(GameStop, GameFly, BlockBuster); almost all the developers utilizing the service so far are console focused companies The best part? It already has serious buy-in from major publishers, including EA, THQ, Codemasters, Ubisoft, Atari, Warner Bros., Take-Two, and Epic Games. Eh, I'll stick to processing power..

OoSuperMarioO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS1m5vzIc4k

kuabarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kuabarra
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts
this reeks of fail, it's called latency people, something not related to your Internets "speed". If the game is actually being run on the server, that means any control input will have to go to the server before it is registered... then back before it is seen by the player! This means, assuming that you have a good connection, you can expect at least half a second of delay from button inputs to the actual actions being preformed. This will die as quickly as it began.
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TeamR

this reeks of fail, it's called latency people, something not related to your Internets "speed". If the game is actually being run on the server, that means any control input will have to go to the server before it is registered... then back before it is seen by the player! This means, assuming that you have a good connection, you can expect at least half a second of delay from button inputs to the actual actions being preformed. This will die as quickly as it began.kuabarra

So far this thread reminds me of when valve first announced steam. Blah blah blah, it's too much of a hastle, it will fail, blah blah blah. Now here we are 5 years later and I don't think I need to tell you how successful steam is.

As pointed out in the article they've taken numerous steps to reduce latency. I don't know why you think, when developing Golive, they wouldnt consider video latency. They created their own video compression algorithm, and everyone at GDC is saying the same thing: it plays smooth.

Every Pc gaming community is salavating over this technology right now. Except here at Gamespot, of course. Because instead of thinking about the huge benifit this would be to our chosen platform, most people here are just stuck in their "want everything to fail" mode. Maybe thats why I barely post here anymore

Sonir77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sonir77
Member since 2006 • 1846 Posts

Well its a good idea, but the internet in my country could never do something like that, and i sorta feel like you dont have much controll over the game if you know what i mean

kuabarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kuabarra
Member since 2006 • 295 Posts
You can't just "reduce" latency, the electric signals can only travel so fast. IT's not like you can put a trubo charger on a group of electrons, or give then NOS o.O MY point is that unless the server is within a block or two from your house, there WILL BE noticable input lag. And for me any input lag is too much, hence the main reason I waited so long to get an LCD monitor.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Every Pc gaming community is salavating over this technology right now. Except here at Gamespot, of course. Because instead of thinking about the huge benifit this would be to our chosen platform, most people here are just stuck in their "want everything to fail" mode. Maybe thats why I barely post here anymore

TeamR

Well, this type of cloud computing is certainly the future of gaming if nothing else ... at least as envisioned by the industry.

As a way of gaming for me personally, I'm not excited. To better clarify that though, as an alternative to the current gaming model I think it could be fantastic. However, as the dominant gaming model, I wouldn't care for it at all.

It eliminates hardware aspects of current PC gaming that I enjoy (the individuality and customization, what would really be the point of building and tweaking gaming rigs under this model for example?). In addition, my preference is by far and away to purchase games without "strings" attached that extend beyond the game itself --- such as with activation-based DRM. Obviously under this model, your games are very much under the control of the service, I prefer to have games that I purchase completely under my control without external dependencies.

Even if you don't agree with that perspective, hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to at least understand it. It's less about "wanting it to fail" and more about it not meshing with personal preferences. At any rate, as an alternative model and as an opportunity to play games that otherwise might not be possible for some, I think it could be quite welcome ;)

...thanks for the link

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#28 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts
This is incredibly exciting. I generally don't play games more than once (unless it's something outstanding like KOTOR or open-ended like GTA) and my computer is far from powerful. This opens gaming up to people who don't have the cash for upgrades but still want to enjoy contemporary gaming - and even makes it more accessible to broader age groups and demographics. And adding a social network is a sure way to get more users to join. I'll be first in line for this.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Another way to take ownership away from the gamer.

Gamerz1569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gamerz1569
Member since 2008 • 2087 Posts
I wonder how fast it would overheat if it runs a high-end game considering how small it is.....hmmm
Precyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Precyse
Member since 2007 • 487 Posts

I can see this bringing more sales tothe gaming market and if people know they can use this on their laptops or dated desktops it could lead to better things for the pc as well as the consoles.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 krazyorange

Another way to take ownership away from the gamer.

Wasdie
That's obvious when you rent it, otherwise it's just like steam. I see your point and I prefer a physical copy, but the renting is what I am excited about. I can easily beat a game inside of five days (unless it's an RPG, unusually long game, busy week etc) and if it costs the same as a rental at the video store (about $5.99 for five nights), I'll be all over that. As for purchases however, I'm with you: I'll stick to driving to the nearest Best Buy.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

It's a good think .It will bring more people into gaming

But i dont think it will stop us playing the traditional way we do now on pc .If anything this will be in more competition with consoles

One of the biggest strength of pc gaming is mods ( is impossible to use mods with that model)

Pc gaming is the de facto platform of gaming in emarging markets like india,brazil,china and russia. In these countries users with dsl access of 2mbps or more are less than 5% ( look it in that pc gamer allience state of pc gaming in 2008 report)

Many pc gamers buy new hardware every once in a while and they like beign on the edge of technology when it comes to graphics ( seen that the onlive model is steaming content i dont think we are gonna see graphics so good as crysis at 1080p )

finally pc gaming is cheap ( i only bought 5 games in 2008 for about 140 and when i want something new i installed a new mod, a new map or a new total conversion mod)

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OoSuperMarioO

It's a good think .It will bring more people into gaming

But i dont think it will stop us playing the traditional way we do now on pc .If anything this will be in more competition with consoles

One of the biggest strength of pc gaming is mods ( is impossible to use mods with that model)

Pc gaming is the de facto platform of gaming in emarging markets like india,brazil,china and russia. In these countries users with dsl access of 2mbps or more are less than 5% ( look it in that pc gamer allience state of pc gaming in 2008 report)

Many pc gamers buy new hardware every once in a while and they like beign on the edge of technology when it comes to graphics ( seen that the onlive model is steaming content i dont think we are gonna see graphics so good as crysis at 1080p )

finally pc gaming is cheap ( i only bought 5 games in 2008 for about 140 and when i want something new i installed a new mod, a new map or a new total conversion mod)

adamosmaki

It will be marvelous if they up the resolution output for PC users personally. North America has the largest percentage of home users with high speed connections, but yet doesn't even come close to a 5mb/sec network. From a PC perspective Onlive is uninteresting, but from a Console perspective it's indeed a step forward if practice correctly and can certainly advance various benefits for publishers/users.

Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#35 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
Personally, this is an interesting concept but I don't like it. I just built a gaming PC just for Crysis and other high-end games, if this works, this just eliminates a favorite pastime for PC gamers. Companies like Alienware, AMD/ATI and Nvidia would go under because since everybody can play crysis on a netbook...what's the point of having all this high-end stuff? Consoles from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo would also go under because everybody can just run the game on a PC and output to a TV so again, why buy a clunky console when you can buy another console for 100 bucks and its the size of a PSP? From a business perspective, I don't think it'll do that well...for one thing it relies on the internet....you need a 5 mbps for 720p when most gamers can have a resolution twice that. So since I have a 768 kbps i can only play at what....1024 by 768?! I think people with low end PCs or can't afford a console will like it but for those that HAVE a console or a PC that can run Crysis at high won't like it because it makes everything they use to game virutally useless.
krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 krazyorange
Personally, this is an interesting concept but I don't like it. I just built a gaming PC just for Crysis and other high-end games, if this works, this just eliminates a favorite pastime for PC gamers. Companies like Alienware, AMD/ATI and Nvidia would go under because since everybody can play crysis on a netbook...what's the point of having all this high-end stuff? Consoles from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo would also go under because everybody can just run the game on a PC and output to a TV so again, why buy a clunky console when you can buy another console for 100 bucks and its the size of a PSP? From a business perspective, I don't think it'll do that well...for one thing it relies on the internet....you need a 5 mbps for 720p when most gamers can have a resolution twice that. So since I have a 768 kbps i can only play at what....1024 by 768?! I think people with low end PCs or can't afford a console will like it but for those that HAVE a console or a PC that can run Crysis at high won't like it because it makes everything they use to game virutally useless. spiderman120988
Yet the ratio of people who would like to run Crysis on high to the people that can is extremely low. Those with high-end gaming PCs are in the vast minority, and Onlive opens up avenues to those who would love to game the new games yet are held back by their budgets.
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 spiderman120988
That is true, my friends are often so impressed by what I play that they're disappointed about their hardware not being up to snuff. I agree, this is a good way to bring in people that don't have a large budget to back up their hobby. I think Nitrous2O say it best, something like this could would work best as an ALTERNATIVE gaming model but it really shouldn't replace the DOMINANT gaming model (consoles, PC). I mean, I would rather have a physical copy of the game in a box or at least a Steam copy that I can make a backup of. Here, everything is online, on the server. What if something goes wrong and I lose all those virtual games that I brought? I may be this generation but I'm very old fashioned, I prefer going to a store and buying a box with the disc inside. I don't know, now I'm afraid I'll be part of a dying breed of people stlll using a high end PC to play crysis 3 when everyone's playing on a damn netbook! =[
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 OoSuperMarioO

Personally, this is an interesting concept but I don't like it. I just built a gaming PC just for Crysis and other high-end games, if this works, this just eliminates a favorite pastime for PC gamers. Companies like Alienware, AMD/ATI and Nvidia would go under because since everybody can play crysis on a netbook...what's the point of having all this high-end stuff? Consoles from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo would also go under because everybody can just run the game on a PC and output to a TV so again, why buy a clunky console when you can buy another console for 100 bucks and its the size of a PSP? From a business perspective, I don't think it'll do that well...for one thing it relies on the internet....you need a 5 mbps for 720p when most gamers can have a resolution twice that. So since I have a 768 kbps i can only play at what....1024 by 768?! I think people with low end PCs or can't afford a console will like it but for those that HAVE a console or a PC that can run Crysis at high won't like it because it makes everything they use to game virutally useless. spiderman120988
Interesting point bud. Under the hood Onlive is quite the same as Remote Play for Sony's Playstation 3 and PSP. Basically what Remote Play does is the user acts as the host by installing all the information on their Playstation 3 Hard Drive, the information from the Playstation 3 is then computed and sends a image over the network, PSP later streams the image and the control input(button pressing) of the user is then sent back over the network to the Playstation 3. Onlive basically acts as the Playstation 3 and your Computer/Console is the PSP.

A 768 kbs seems very low bud to obtain a good resolution output, but we'll see over the months/years how this service sophisticates.

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TeamR

It will be marvelous if they up the resolution output for PC users personally. North America has the largest percentage of home users with high speed connections, but yet doesn't even come close to a 5mb/sec network. From a PC perspective Onlive is uninteresting, but from a Console perspective it's indeed a step forward if practice correctly and can certainly advance various benefits for publishers/users.

OoSuperMarioO

I disagree with you. I think Pc gaming would see the larger benifit from a service like online.

With onlive, pcgamers will be able to enjoy many of the things typically asscociated with console games. Rentals, (somewhat) standardized hardware, a super low entry price point, portability. Powergamers who already have super beefy systems probably won't see much benifit from the service, but thats why I think it is the perfect service to run ALONGSIDE current PC gaming standards. Because there are TONS of people out there who would love to get into PC gaming but don't because of many of the problems solved by onlive.

College student who only has a small laptop and access to school computers?

Busy professional that doesn't have the time, patience or disposable income to invest in pc gaming

Kid who can't convince his parents to invest in a gaming rig

Those are all examples of people who would probably turn to console gaming, but a service like golive will negate many of the advantages consoles have over the PC. As long as you have the connection to support it. I see onlive stemming the tide of developers ditching the pc for consoles, and even doing the reverse. onlive has the potential to do for pc gaming what the wii did for console gaming, bring in an entirely new audience. People who declined pc gaming in the past because of the precieved diffuculty, high cost and non-user friendliness.

Look at the companies that are backing the service right now: EA, THQ, Codemasters, Ubisoft, Atari, Warner Bros., Take-Two, and Epic Games. Notice something? Those are companies that have been turning their noses up at PC gaming in recent years to refocus on consoles, all backing a PC service that has the potential to open our platform to millions and millions of people.

People said that Xbox Live and Steam would never work, streaming video from Hulu would fail, there was no way you'd get an HD video stream from Netflix....Hows about instead of continuing the trend you try looking at onlive from a "glass half full" perspective? Hands-on demonstrations have been getting really good reviews out of GDC. And there is no reason to wish for the tech to fail, because at the end of the day it can do nothing but good for PC gaming.

spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 spiderman120988
Soon all the high end PC and console gamers will be a tiny minority, a dying breed still playing Halo 5 on Xbox 720 or Crysis 3 on a High end PC while everyone is gaming on a tiny netbook! I hope it doesn't come to that! =[
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TeamR

Soon all the high end PC and console gamers will be a tiny minority, a dying breed still playing Halo 5 on Xbox 720 or Crysis 3 on a High end PC while everyone is gaming on a tiny netbook! I hope it doesn't come to that! =[spiderman120988

why not? They can still play whatever game they want. why do you have a problem with others finally being able to play, too?

spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 spiderman120988
No, I didn't mean that i dont want them to play but I think a service like this should be an alternative form to gaming rather than a dominant form. Then again not many people have high end rigs so I don't know anymore, look I just want to finish Far cry 2 now, not worry about the future of pc gaming!
TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TeamR

yeah BUT!.

The article says 720p. Well the technical translation to "p" for my 30" monitor would be 1600p and most PC gamers are running at what would be 1080p

SEANMCAD

Yeah? I thought it was obvious that the service would'nt be exactly as good as playing on a good gaming rig. lol

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
So how does this work? Are they rendering and running the game on a server, then sending the video feed via internet to your PC/Mac?
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OoSuperMarioO

[QUOTE="OoSuperMarioO"]

TeamR

I disagree with you. I think Pc gaming would see the larger benifit from a service like online.

With onlive, pcgamers will be able to enjoy many of the things typically asscociated with console games. Rentals, (somewhat) standardized hardware, a super low entry price point, portability. Powergamers who already have super beefy systems probably won't see much benifit from the service, but thats why I think it is the perfect service to run ALONGSIDE current PC gaming standards. Because there are TONS of people out there who would love to get into PC gaming but don't because of many of the problems solved by onlive.

College student who only has a small laptop and access to school computers?

Busy professional that doesn't have the time, patience or disposable income to invest in pc gaming

Kid who can't convince his parents to invest in a gaming rig

Those are all examples of people who would probably turn to console gaming, but a service like golive will negate many of the advantages consoles have over the PC. As long as you have the connection to support it. I see onlive stemming the tide of developers ditching the pc for consoles, and even doing the reverse. onlive has the potential to do for pc gaming what the wii did for console gaming, bring in an entirely new audience. People who declined pc gaming in the past because of the precieved diffuculty, high cost and non-user friendliness.

Look at the companies that are backing the service right now: EA, THQ, Codemasters, Ubisoft, Atari, Warner Bros., Take-Two, and Epic Games. Notice something? Those are companies that have been turning their noses up at PC gaming in recent years to refocus on consoles, all backing a PC service that has the potential to open our platform to millions and millions of people.

People said that Xbox Live and Steam would never work, streaming video from Hulu would fail, there was no way you'd get an HD video stream from Netflix....Hows about instead of continuing the trend you try looking at onlive from a "glass half full" perspective? Hands-on demonstrations have been getting really good reviews out of GDC. And there is no reason to wish for the tech to fail, because at the end of the day it can do nothing but good for PC gaming.

You pretty much summed up your observation there bud, "As long as you have the connection to support it". People that are really going to enjoy the benefits of Onlive are users with steady incomes, 1.6mb/sec is not enough and 5mb/sec connection is rather costly. Personally, users who can't manage a modest PC for gaming will still dedicate to console hardware. There will indeed be consumers that are going to grab the marketing bait from Onlive until they actually identify the picture quality is rubbish. Our market has moved into a HD format and Onlive seems to fall short of efficiency for this. Nevertheless, I stand by what I said and until picture quality improves for PC users it's rather uninteresting, but a great step for Consoles. Over the years once networking has vastly improved, Cloud Computing will certainly be marvelous for a PC Gamer.

Precyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Precyse
Member since 2007 • 487 Posts

I think it's a good thing for gaming in general and especially the pc, because most people use a pc for diff apps. including games and it's the most owned "console" and used of them all. I can see coming over to the pc side which will increase the amount of games available and it'll also lead to more exclusives and attention from devs. who will focus more on the pc which will become the preferred console of choice for most people.