Online PC gaming is a dead thing now and days?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XxspritexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 XxspritexX
Member since 2005 • 5836 Posts

It's 2010 and boy have us PC community gotten **** over this generation of video games, don't you think? Console port after console port and it's starting to bug me. Since the gaming industry has gotten mainstream devs and publishers have pretty much aimed to get as much money as possible and giving games terrible game mechanics and what not. I'm just sad to see so many devs stab us in the back. :( Games likes BC2 arnt enough and even that game has it's flaws a lot actually.*cough* appache underpowered suppose to hunt tanks not run away from them, tanks OP nothing stops them, MG's have no recoil lol rape helis,no prone :P, still feels like a console game *cough*. FOR GOODNESS SAKES THEY'VE EVEN RUINED WoW DAMNIT(Now I got to raid with our healers girlfriend who dosn't know to play her class Damnit I hate it! Casual casual casual)

I miss 2004, 2005, and 2006 :(. What happen to complex shooters like BF2? Not everyone wants a brainless experience like call of duty crap ops :P

Whats your input abot this? Is PC gaming really dying before my very own eyes? :cry: Singleplayer games are still good though! I just want someone to play with competitively.......:( Counter-strike is starting to get boring now! :cry:

*crosses fingers that BF3 is an actual PC port and not pure lies*

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Your paranoid

XxspritexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XxspritexX

Your paranoid

spookykid143
You're*
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

Your paranoid

XxspritexX

You're*

Thank you

Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Super-Trooper
Member since 2004 • 1591 Posts
[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

Your paranoid

XxspritexX
You're*

Cute, you do know that you have quite a few mistakes in your own.. uhm 'ramblings' as well right? (also needs more smileys)
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

It would be dumb to make BF3 like BC2, I think the console versions will be like BC series and BF3 PC will be like BF2 if we go by the past.

contaminated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 contaminated
Member since 2005 • 5373 Posts
Its not whether PC gaming is dead but how it will adapt to the changing market. Don't confuse an uncertain future with certain death
gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

It would be dumb to make BF3 like BC2, I think the console versions will be like BC series and BF3 PC will be like BF2 if we go by the past.

mitu123
I just hope they keep destructible environments which I assume they will but make the player cap like bf2 maybe more ^^
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

So you are talking only about shooters hmm?

I'd like to introduce you to a little thing called Arma 2. There's also Left 4 Dead 2, Starcraft 2, Borderlands, etc for popular online games from other genres. Sounds like you are complaining about why one specific series is not how you want it to be.

noblepuker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 noblepuker
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Consoles are becoming PC's...Consolesonly chance to compete against the allmighty PC was to emulate them.Consoles aresmall,limited PC's that fit some people.

They simlpy can't win withoutbecome PC's.I joking say "consoles are for people to stupid,or lazy to operate a PC"

Funny,i started on consoles.I cracked onmy 5th system,the PS1.My friendwas crewing B-25 bombers.Guns,eventhe co-pilot we're all real people.Nine users in one plane.A world in itself,1000's waging war....and there i sat,running through the same ole crap on my console...that was 1996.I'll never go back,no matter how far consoles go.

PC gamer...for life.

Now console's have online,and more...but still fall way short of a PC.They're good gaming systems,yes....but i do more than game on my all in one,chop it,slice it,dice it PC.I also enjoy having adesk.I have a good cockpit for my wheel & pedals....i can eat sandwiches,arrange beer cans in various ways..

SubGum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SubGum
Member since 2003 • 1740 Posts
After reading this entire thread, the simple answer is still: no
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

mitu123

Same engine for all the platforms, same console experience (after what DICE did with BC 2, no matter what they say about PC, BC 3 oh...BF 3, will be identical to the console version, except on keyboard + mouse).

Gaming itself is in a bad state, only a few games per year out of the hundreds that are made and tenths of high profile games are worth looking at, online has nothing to do with it, in fact nowadays most developers sacrifice singleplayer for multiplayer, whether you like them or not, that's another problem.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

It's 2010 and boy have us PC community gotten **** over this generation of video games, don't you think? Console port after console port and it's starting to bug me. Since the gaming industry has gotten mainstream devs and publishers have pretty much aimed to get as much money as possible and giving games terrible game mechanics and what not. I'm just sad to see so many devs stab us in the back. :( Games likes BC2 arnt enough and even that game has it's flaws a lot actually.*cough* appache underpowered suppose to hunt tanks not run away from them, tanks OP nothing stops them, MG's have no recoil lol rape helis,no prone :P, still feels like a console game *cough*. FOR GOODNESS SAKES THEY'VE EVEN RUINED WoW DAMNIT(Now I got to raid with our healers girlfriend who dosn't know to play her class Damnit I hate it! Casual casual casual)

I miss 2004, 2005, and 2006 :(. What happen to complex shooters like BF2? Not everyone wants a brainless experience like call of duty crap ops :P

Whats your input abot this? Is PC gaming really dying before my very own eyes? :cry: Singleplayer games are still good though! I just want someone to play with competitively.......:( Counter-strike is starting to get boring now! :cry:

*crosses fingers that BF3 is an actual PC port and not pure lies*

XxspritexX

PC gamers don't usually jump on the next game wen it comes out, they stay and support their favorite game, my conclusion is based on personal experience, and a example would be UT '99 that has more players, and countless user made maps then UT 3 or UT2k4, online at any given time (and betwen 1000-3000 servers 24/7). Even Doom has a MP community, trough sourceports such as Skulltag.

New MP games are a bonus, and they are still going strong.

And i'll add ->

Counter Strike 1.6 & Counter Strike Source.

-----------------

That's only FPS's, don't get me started on other games from other genres, such as Heroes III & Starcraft.

Now add over 50 popular MMO's, and God knows how many f2p FPS's...

All in all, you're paranoid.. and you're not looking were you need to. Console players, play, what, about a dozen MP games? No wonder their community is big on each.

PC gamers play hundreats of MP games, each with a big community. If we put them in a dozen games... Well, i don't what to think about it. Thinking about how gigantic all the PC online community is, would melt anyone's brain.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

It's 2010 and boy have us PC community gotten **** over this generation of video games, don't you think?

XxspritexX

No, I don't think it. And the recent example of BC 2 PC community trampling the 360 and PS3 communities in the 5th Vietnam map contest is evidence alone. WoW, CSS, Starcraft 1 & 2, BC 2, EVE Online or Diablo II LOD are good examples of how long lasting, competitive and mature is the PC online community compared against other platforms.

You also must notice that PC is currently the only platforn in which you can play at the Halo/Halo 2 multiplayer; which means that all online games for consoles had at most a 4-8 years life cycle, whereas in PC you can still play competitively -and even eran money- in 10+ years old games as Starcraf or Counter Strike.

ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

If you want to play competetively and you're bored of CS, try Team Fortress 2, if you've got the skill that is.

http://tf2lobby.com/

It's nowhere like pubs.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I played Guild Wars much of the day yesterday, so no, I would say its far from dead.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

Your paranoid

XxspritexX

You're*

Nowadays*

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
Play Arma II. I hope that's hardcore enough for you hardcore gamerzzz, and you will can spare us from your ramblings.
DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

I honestly have to agree, but it's not so much about the games, it's the community

LynnTerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 LynnTerra
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

PC Gaming isn't dead and it will never die. It was here before consoles were online and will continue to be around as online gaming evolves.

As previously metioned, it boils down to the community. It's changed over the years. Some for good, some for bad. Good in that there are a lot more players online now. Bad for the fact many of them are immature and racist.

ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Bad for the fact many of them are immature and racist.LynnTerra

You're playing the wrong games then.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

DanielDust

Same engine for all the platforms, same console experience (after what DICE did with BC 2, no matter what they say about PC, BC 3 oh...BF 3, will be identical to the console version, except on keyboard + mouse).

Or it could be like this:

PC

Consoles

I don't see the point of downgrading when BC2 was designed for consoles 1st and ported to PC like how BF2 was designed for PC and ported to consoles with major differences into being a different game.

We'll wait and see though.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
lol wth. Hahaha. No. It isnt. Havent you seen the news about how PC gamers are the one who unlocked Operation Hastings FIRST for BC2 Vietnam? Thats only ONE indication that PC Online is perfectly alive. Another is Steam's Stat Page which tells how many are playing any one of the top 100 most plays games. Check it out and calm yourself.
Liam00148

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 Liam00148
Member since 2009 • 543 Posts

it makes me angry how everyone has gone to console gaming :evil:

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

I wouldn't say it's "dead," per se. Although the PS3 and 360 are more "mainstream," the PC community is arguably much, much bigger. Heck, I just got off of playing UT2K4, L4D2, SC2, Minecraft, and CS Source, and lemme tell ya. Those communities ain't going anywhere for a long time.

ic4ruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ic4ruz
Member since 2008 • 150 Posts

No, what makes you think that ?

PC unlocked Hastings map in BC2 first! PS3 were only half the way to unlocking it.

And BC2 is only a small portion of the overall online PC games. BTW Red Orchestra: Heroes of stalingrad and BF3 are going to be awesome!

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GeneralShowzer

Liam00148

I don't think much people have gone to console gaming.

The casual nature of CoD, Halo, ect, have brung a generation of bro-dudes into gaming, thus the popularity.

This thread is pointless.

He says online PC gaming is dead, but there are still thousands of players playing

TF2, CS:Source, Starcraft II, Warcraft III, WoW, L4D2, Black Ops, BC2, UT2004, and much much more.

His ramblings don't have anything to do with his thread title, i suppose it was just to get attention.

He only knows of mainstream titles like BC2 and Black Ops, and complains that they're too mainstream,while never having heard of Red Orchestra or Armed Assault....

One of the many reasons this thread is pointless.

XxspritexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XxspritexX

[QUOTE="Liam00148"]

GeneralShowzer

The casual nature of CoD, Halo, ect, have brung a generation of bro-dudes into gaming, thus the popularity.

He says online PC gaming is dead, but there are still thousands of players playing

TF2, CS:Source, Starcraft II, Warcraft III, WoW, L4D2, Black Ops, BC2, UT2004, and much much more.

His ramblings don't have anything to do with his thread title, i suppose it was just to get attention.

He only knows of mainstream titles like BC2 and Black Ops, and complains that they're too mainstream,while never having heard of Red Orchestra or Armed Assault....

I actually have arma and Red Orchestra thank you very much :P
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

[QUOTE="Liam00148"]

GeneralShowzer

Warcraft III for. The. Win.
Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Ah the monthly PC gaming is dead thread, all be it with a online gaming twist. I have been a GS member since 2003 and have seen all kinds of doomsayers threads on the death of PC gaming. And guess what? PC gaming is still here and going no where!!

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

I play PC games, but I never play online and never will, but i will always purchase PC games and constantly upgrade my PC or build a new one, as long as they make good games for the PC. In my opinion the reason why consoles haven't been wiped off the face of the earth by the PC, is the gamble Microsoft made on the XBOX 360, will that thing ever have first class quality, hello rings of death, goodbye HD, the Wii is for children but can Nintendo ever develop a mature first class game or console ever again, and the PS3 what an expensive joke, blu ray, please.

Having wasted that much money, none of these companies can turn back. Never fear the PC is here, no turning back. with AMD and Intel fighting and Nvidia and ATI fighting plus die hard PC fans like me and hard core gamers we are safe.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
I actually do think that Online gaming on the PC is dying. Look at games like Call of Duty with all these kill streaks and grenade launchers and you'll see that we're heading in a really bad direction.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
I actually do think that Online gaming on the PC is dying. Look at games like Call of Duty with all these kill streaks and grenade launchers and you'll see that we're heading in a really bad direction. kdawg88
Na, you're just playing the wrong games. BC2 is great, BF2 is great,team Fortress 2 is great, counter strike is great, etc.
BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts

It's been more or less dead for a long time.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Console games are designed to be fleeting experiences. You buy a game, play it for a while, then buy the next game in the series. PC games used to have strong dedicated fanbases - and many still do - you'll from games from before 2000 that are still being played and still have strong modding communities. The problem is that those same console games get passed off as PC games and so you end up with similar fleeting experiences where it used to be a dedicated experience.

The easy solution would be for developers to put more into a single game and release fewer games, but we all know that's not good business; the other part of it is for the PC community not to buy into the flooding of the industry - except everyone's got to try the new best thing and see how it pushes their PC (usually not very far unless it's poorly optimised).

Is it dead? I'm going to say yes, in that there's not a real dedicated PC industry anymore, just that fleeting console experience that has been translated to the PC format. It looks different, and we still have "PC" games, but it's not the same as it used to be.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

[QUOTE="kdawg88"]I actually do think that Online gaming on the PC is dying. Look at games like Call of Duty with all these kill streaks and grenade launchers and you'll see that we're heading in a really bad direction. SF_KiLLaMaN
Na, you're just playing the wrong games. BC2 is great, BF2 is great,team Fortress 2 is great, counter strike is great, etc.

Nah, IMHO those games are just really bad too, they all just head in the wrong direction brah.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

PC gaming has certainly taken a backseat in the last few years, but I think this year we will start to see a change.

This generation of consoles, while very popular are beginning to show their age, and with no new models looming on the horizon it is the ideal opportunity for PC devs to show off the huge potential of PC gaming and produce games that show off the performance gap between 5 year old consoles and what a multi-core gaming PC is capable of.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SF_KiLLaMaN

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="kdawg88"]I actually do think that Online gaming on the PC is dying. Look at games like Call of Duty with all these kill streaks and grenade launchers and you'll see that we're heading in a really bad direction. kdawg88

Nah, IMHO those games are just really bad too, they all just head in the wrong direction brah.

How so?
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Console games are designed to be fleeting experiences. You buy a game, play it for a while, then buy the next game in the series. PC games used to have strong dedicated fanbases - and many still do - you'll from games from before 2000 that are still being played and still have strong modding communities. The problem is that those same console games get passed off as PC games and so you end up with similar fleeting experiences where it used to be a dedicated experience.

The easy solution would be for developers to put more into a single game and release fewer games, but we all know that's not good business; the other part of it is for the PC community not to buy into the flooding of the industry - except everyone's got to try the new best thing and see how it pushes their PC (usually not very far unless it's poorly optimised).

Is it dead? I'm going to say yes, in that there's not a real dedicated PC industry anymore, just that fleeting console experience that has been translated to the PC format. It looks different, and we still have "PC" games, but it's not the same as it used to be.

DigitalExile

Very (very) well put. For the most part, if you want to play a good "PC" game, you need to go back at least 10 years.

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

kinda, on xbox live, it feels like you get gzillion population in whatever games you play, I recently traded in my ps3 apache for PC version because PS3 version didn't deliver xbox's graphic, and now I'm so regretted, cuz the co-op model is DEAD, I'm almost sure I'm the only person in this world bought PC version.

STOCKMAN22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 STOCKMAN22
Member since 2010 • 415 Posts

kinda, on xbox live, it feels like you get gzillion population in whatever games you play, I recently traded in my ps3 apache for PC version because PS3 version didn't deliver xbox's graphic, and now I'm so regretted, cuz the co-op model is DEAD, I'm almost sure I'm the only person in this world bought PC version.

GameFan1983

what gamesa are you talking about? Maybe something wrong with your modem or something you have not configured correct. there is no way you are the only person who bought the pc version!

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GeneralShowzer

[QUOTE="GameFan1983"]

STOCKMAN22

what gamesa are you talking about? Maybe something wrong with your modem or something you have not configured correct. there is no way you are the only person who bought the pc version!

Apache is a mediocre game, that came late to PC, no one even bothered to review it, i don't even know if it's on steam, why the **** would anyone play a consolised sim on PC, when there are a lot better ones?
STOCKMAN22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 STOCKMAN22
Member since 2010 • 415 Posts

[QUOTE="STOCKMAN22"]

[QUOTE="GameFan1983"]

GeneralShowzer

Apache is a mediocre game, that came late to PC, no one even bothered to review it, i don't even know if it's on steam, why the **** would anyone play a consolised sim on PC, when there are a lot better ones?

I dont care about sims i play only action games and fps games so i dont know anything about this game.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="spookykid143"]

Your paranoid

XxspritexX

You're*

there shouldnt be a need for the apstrophe or the e when its pronounced the same as your. almost takes as long to type as you are which defeats the purpose. as a whole, people were quite silly in the days when these grammar rules were created.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

DigitalExile

Very well said. The problem isn't so much that the developers are making short games, but the fact that gamers are buying them. Gamers, on average, are not as thoughtful and careful with their purchases these days. If developers can sell millions of a game with a 7 hour campaign and mediocre multiplayer experience (Call of Duty series, anyone?) then they are going to keep developing on that level.

The casual gamer just got into the industry and screwed it up. Games are starting to blur together. They are all so streamlined and borrow so much from each other. I prefer games that are unique, innovative, and I actually have to learn how to play them. It seems we are living in the generation of instant gratification.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

I honestly believe this belongs in system wars.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SF_KiLLaMaN

I honestly believe this belongs in system wars.

TerrorRizzing
no, this topic is focused on the PC only....
Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

consoles sucks, we all know that.

We just need some develepors who aim at the pc market, and thankfully we do have some :)

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GeneralShowzer

consoles sucks, we all know that.

We just need some develepors who aim at the pc market, and thankfully we do have some :)

Walincas
But no it's dying, COD is focused on consoles, therefore PC online gaming is dying. That's what i got from this thread...