mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Looking for a new MMO, tried a few, have not yet really enjoyed any as much as I enjoy SWTOR, WoW, and a few others.

Was wondering how Neverwinter is. If anyone has some time spent with it and could provide some insight, what makes it good, bad, etc I'd appreciate it.

Callo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Callo
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

Been watching it too, it looks awesome but i'm too scared to buy it incase i get bored of it as it has happened with many games

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

not really no, functionally here neverwinter is champions online with a fantasy setting and a modified visual engine. the character creator is drap, the story is poor, and the games ran by arcgames which means they will nickle and dime you like a mutherfucker. and if you want that kind of treatment.. youd be better off in star trek online. at least the dev team there is super involved and passionate about making the game the best experience it can be despite the limitations around them. and at least you dont have to buy it up front its free to enjoy out of the gate.

and this comes from a person who plays cryptic games, i even have an arc account and have played all three. champions online is an RP fest, sto is a pve game mired in previous failings that has made amazing strides in making newer content much better without that dead weight they slapped on behind them to get here. and neverwinter.. is a really boring and uninteresting fantasy rpg with a dev team too small to do the things it needs to do to be a better game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrbojangles25

@ionusX: thanks dude, appreciate the response. I Might give it a look but I won't expect much from it.

Man, I am going through an online drought right now, haven't played with or against anyone in like a year.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

One of the best f2p MMOs out there, no pay 2 win bullshit, you just level up with friends - you can reach top level after 2 weeks or so, depends on how much time you spend each day. Almost all classes are cool (I don't like the Defender much but that's me).

You can try GW2 as well, but your inventory will be really small unless you buy the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Looking for a new MMO, tried a few, have not yet really enjoyed any as much as I enjoy SWTOR, WoW, and a few others.

Was wondering how Neverwinter is. If anyone has some time spent with it and could provide some insight, what makes it good, bad, etc I'd appreciate it.

Have you played Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn? Probably the largest MMO that isn't named WoW. Is it a WoW clone? Yup, but it is a highly polished, WoW clone.

ESO is actually great now, so you can check that out as well. It has come a very long way since launch and it has some of the best PVP out of any current MMO. Also, if graphics are what you are after, ESO hands-down has the best graphics out of any MMO to date.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

ESO hands-down has the best graphics out of any MMO to date.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Have you played it? It really is a gorgeous game and it is graphically superior to both Guildwars 2 and Realm Reborn. It had a rough launch, but it has gotten leagues better.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

@mighty-lu-bu said:
@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Have you played it? It really is a gorgeous game and it is graphically superior to both Guildwars 2 and Realm Reborn. It had a rough launch, but it has gotten leagues better.

Yes I own the game.

And dude no. The likes of Guild Wars 2, Black Desert and even Archeage are much better looking.

ESO looks good, but it's all a bland palette of greys and browns, and the character models all look the same.

I would consider ESO probably around the 5th-6th best looking MMO on the market at the moment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Yes I own the game.

And dude no. The likes of Guild Wars 2, Black Desert and even Archeage are much better looking.

ESO looks good, but it's all a bland palette of greys and browns, and the character models all look the same.

I would consider ESO probably around the 5th-6th best looking MMO on the market at the moment.

Graphics, like audio are subjective, but from what I seen (and played) ESO takes the cake. Also, the system requirements for ESO are more than all of the other games you have mentioned because it is a more graphically demanding game with the exception of Black Desert Online. I haven't played Black Desert, but it is more a niche.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside

@mighty-lu-bu said:
@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

Yes I own the game.

Graphics, like audio are subjective, but from what I seen (and played) ESO takes the cake. Also, the system requirements for ESO are more than all of the other games you have mentioned because it is a more graphically demanding game with the exception of Black Desert Online. I haven't played Black Desert, but it is more a niche.

Look up videos of Black Desert with max settings on, it's leagues above ESO.

And requirements doesn't mean anything. Could just be the engine isn't optimized.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@FelipeInside said:

Yes I own the game.

And requirements doesn't mean anything. Could just be the engine isn't optimized.

I haven't played Black Desert so I don't really have much of an opinion about it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

@mighty-lu-bu said:

I haven't played Black Desert so I don't really have much of an opinion about it.

Don't need to play it. Just watch a YouTube video on the highest quality you can manage on your internet and you can already tell the difference.

I've played most MMOs out there, and like I said ESO comes in around the 5th mark for best looking (and best art style for the graphics) design.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

Don't need to play it. Just watch a YouTube video on the highest quality you can manage on your internet and you can already tell the difference.

I've played most MMOs out there, and like I said ESO comes in around the 5th mark for best looking (and best art style for the graphics) design.

Behind what though? Whenever you hear about MMO graphics usually the top dogs are Realm Reborn and Guildwars 2. I played both for years until I starting playing ESO and ESO definitely has better graphics than either of those games.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FelipeInside

@mighty-lu-bu said:
@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

Behind what though? Whenever you hear about MMO graphics usually the top dogs are Realm Reborn and Guildwars 2. I played both for years until I starting playing ESO and ESO definitely has better graphics than either of those games.

I would probably say Black Desert takes top spot, followed closely by Guild Wars 2 and probably Eve Online. Then you would have the likes of Archeage and other Korean Grindfests, and then you get to the likes of ESO.

Like I said, ESO looks good, but it's bland. There isn't much variety on art style or map design (which all adds to the graphical department). It also uses too much greys and browns for it's colour pallet where games like GW2 use a lot more variety on that spectrum (not to mention art style, character models, map design etc is off the charts)

All good if you think ESO looks amazing, but it's far from the best looking MMO on the market like you initially posted.

You said so yourself with "Whenever you hear about MMO graphics usually the top dogs are Realm Reborn and Guildwars 2". That's the general consensus because it's correct.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25

Thank you for the replies everyone! I think I'm going to give GW2 or ESO another try :D

@PredatorRules said:

One of the best f2p MMOs out there, no pay 2 win bullshit, you just level up with friends - you can reach top level after 2 weeks or so, depends on how much time you spend each day. Almost all classes are cool (I don't like the Defender much but that's me).

You can try GW2 as well, but your inventory will be really small unless you buy the game.

Yeah I own GW2 just didn't hold my interest back then. It's funny I tried a lot of these MMOs when I was playing WoW so it had to be better than WoW, which is not fair (I also had a strong community back then, too).

I should give it another go. Have you played it recently? Literally the last time I played it was when I bought it and for about two months after. I liked the classes, the progression, the PvE was all right.

I should note, I'm all about the PvE. Not big on PvP in MMOs (unless its an MMOFPS).

@mighty-lu-bu said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Have you played Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn? Probably the largest MMO that isn't named WoW. Is it a WoW clone? Yup, but it is a highly polished, WoW clone.

ESO is actually great now, so you can check that out as well. It has come a very long way since launch and it has some of the best PVP out of any current MMO. Also, if graphics are what you are after, ESO hands-down has the best graphics out of any MMO to date.

Been wanting to check out Final Fantasy, but Idunno...not big on the Japanese aesthetic. I can get over it if the game is good, I just haven't played a Japanese game in that vein in a long, long, long time that I enjoyed.

I played ESO, it was fun but it just felt like a less-fun version of Skyrim or whatever, the online portion did not feel necessary. But I can always give it another go. I am willing to subscribe to it; hell, I think I even impulse-bought the expansions and played it for a week (the Dark Brotherhood one).

I agree, looks pretty good, don't think it is the best (but far from the worst!)

@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@FelipeInside said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

I would probably say Black Desert takes top spot, followed closely by Guild Wars 2 and probably Eve Online. Then you would have the likes of Archeage and other Korean Grindfests, and then you get to the likes of ESO.

Like I said, ESO looks good, but it's bland. There isn't much variety on art style or map design (which all adds to the graphical department). It also uses too much greys and browns for it's colour pallet where games like GW2 use a lot more variety on that spectrum (not to mention art style, character models, map design etc is off the charts)

Yeah I tried out the free weekend Black Desert had on Steam recently, it is a gorgeous game but not really my style.

ESO does look good, but the colors are very muddled. Still, it's not terrible. Just wish the art direction was a bit better.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@mrbojangles25 said:

I should note, I'm all about the PvE. Not big on PvP in MMOs (unless its an MMOFPS).

If PvE is what you're after, your best bets are Guild Wars 2 and The Old Republic. Those two MMOs dedicate themselves to taking the player through a great PvE story.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I also play MMOs mostly for PvE, although GW are famous for their strong PVP system.

Finished the game once, got awesome boss fights just like in Neverwinter Online (and even better) and great classes and progression system, got epic loot and now with it's new expansion (haven't bought) it got mounts as well.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NoodleFighter  Online
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

I wouldn't really call Neverwinter Online an MMO its more of a instanced multiplayer dungeon diver with a character interactive HUD that several other players are in