Need help picking out laptop for nes,snes,etc.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tano218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tano218
Member since 2010 • 1505 Posts

I am looking for a laptop that is for playing older games and games like minecraft,killing floor,etc.

Any suggestions would be great help to me.-Thanks

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts

I am looking for a laptop that is for gaming emulators and games like minecraft,killing floor,etc.

Any suggestions would be great help to me.-Thanks

Tano218
First off talking about emulators on gamespot is against the TOS so that is something we cant discuss here. though for games like killing floor and minecraft you should be able to buy a $600 dollar laptop and play them fine.
8BitKila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 8BitKila
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I have a Lenovo x120e (Win7 64, 4GB RAM), which goes for around $300-$400 and can run PSX-level games. You might be able to get away with Minecraft based off what I'm seeing for the hardware requirements.

Not sure if you want to go with a netbook, but I'd use it as a starting point to move up from.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

I have a Lenovo x120e (Win7 64, 4GB RAM), which goes for around $300-$400 and can run PSX-level games. You might be able to get away with Minecraft based off what I'm seeing for the hardware requirements.

Not sure if you want to go with a netbook, but I'd use it as a starting point to move up from.

8BitKila
Yeah, I would imagine if you're doing light/old school gaming or whatnot; you wouldn't have to spend $300-400 for a fairly decent laptop. I mean, if you're wanting to play anything over 10+ years whether a PC or 'whatever' (w/o elaborating, you get what I mean, lol), anything you buy now in terms of computer hardware is going to be light-years ahead of what the tech was that took to make/run it back in the days. So anything you get know should be well more than enough w/o not breaking your bank. Personally, I'd say w/ the inexpensive price of regular mainstream laptops, he/she wouldn't even to bother aiming for a computer in 'netbook' category.
8BitKila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 8BitKila
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="8BitKila"]

PumpkinBoogie

Yeah, I would imagine if you're doing light/old school gaming or whatnot; you wouldn't have to spend $300-400 for a fairly decent laptop. I mean, if you're wanting to play anything over 10+ years whether a PC or 'whatever' (w/o elaborating, you get what I mean, lol), anything you buy now in terms of computer hardware is going to be light-years ahead of what the tech was that took to make/run it back in the days. So anything you get know should be well more than enough w/o not breaking your bank. Personally, I'd say w/ the inexpensive price of regular mainstream laptops, he/she wouldn't even to bother aiming for a computer in 'netbook' category.

True, any modern laptop released within the past year or so should suffice. I'm just more fond of netbooks or smaller screens in general for mobile PCs because the lower resolutions allow you to get more out of the hardware. Plus, the lower price points pay off in the long run since you can't upgrade much beyond the RAM and HDD anyway.

I started with a 17" Dell XPS Gen 2 gaming laptop and went down to a 15" Inspiron which had the same GPU as most 17 inchers at the time until going with the 11" Lenovo I have now. I wouldn't recommend a laptop for anything beyond basic PC functions and maybe photo/audio editing anyway, but if you're looking for a desktop replacement I think your best bet would be a ~15" with a good GPU and quality LED screen. A 17" laptop is awesome at first, but it's not going to be able to play new releases at 1080p with reasonable settings for long.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

[QUOTE="PumpkinBoogie"][QUOTE="8BitKila"]

8BitKila

True, any modern laptop released within the past year or so should suffice. I'm just more fond of netbooks or smaller screens in general for mobile PCs because the lower resolutions allow you to get more out of the hardware. Plus, the lower price points pay off in the long run since you can't upgrade much beyond the RAM and HDD anyway.

I started with a 17" Dell XPS Gen 2 gaming laptop and went down to a 15" Inspiron which had the same GPU as most 17 inchers at the time until going with the 11" Lenovo I have now. I wouldn't recommend a laptop for anything beyond basic PC functions and maybe photo/audio editing anyway, but if you're looking for a desktop replacement I think your best bet would be a ~15" with a good GPU and quality LED screen. A 17" laptop is awesome at first, but it's not going to be able to play new releases at 1080p with reasonable settings for long.

Oh no doubt, I agree w/ you there. Me personally I knew I'd do a bit more gaming besides just old school stuff so I actually aimed for something a bit more powerful but still reasonable in terms of my budget--which was HP Envy 14-1211nr--which gives me benefit of the smaller size, 14 incher, w/ a bit of kick in terms of power for bit of gaming. I, too, used to own a 17 incher and I totally agree, lol, for it few years it was decent but then it gets to be like a big weight. I was gladly happy to lighten my laptop load, lol.