Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Ghostwa1ker
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts

What is your budget and currency? It is around $1,400.00

What will you use the PC for? To do some gaming. Some of the games i am playing as we speak are, World Of Tanks, War Thunder, BattleTech, FrostPunk, Subnautica, Xcom 2.

Do you need a monitor? If not, what monitor(s) will you be using? No. I am using a ASUS VS248H Gaming Monitor- 24"

Do you need a keyboard, mouse, or other peripherals? No

Do you need an operating system? Yes

Will you overclock? Maybe

Anything else we should know? I am hoping to water cool this time around, but still not completely certain as i am a noob.

This is the build i was thinking about. What do you all think? Feel free to give suggestions and or make changes.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZDKr6R

I have no case on their as i am looking for one with good airflow so that is why i haven't added one yet.

PS: Was thinking of going with AMD, but someone said not too as Ryzen chip Motherboard BIOSEs are Garbage. This is exactly what he said:

Personally, I would avoid the RYZENS at this stage. Im a big AMD CPU fan but the RYZEN chip Motherboard BIOSEs are Garbage.

AMD implemented PCIE Gen4 and has been having to disable that now. Then each version of the chip requires a different AEGIS (something like that) version. This means they cannot make a Unified BIOS due to limited space and you have to really researh which BIOS is needed for the Ryzen generation...right now 1.0.0.3 abba is for the Ryzen 3xxx but not all motherboard have it.

The Ryzen 2xxx needs an older BIOS but the AEGIS numbers are not in numerical order, so it might be like a 1.0.0.8 (just example) so the BIOS does not tell you anything other than 1.0.0.3 abba and a lot of people update the bios like they do their drivers and create yet another issue.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

You can't overclock CPU on that motherboard, so you'd have it run at 4.6 GHz with all cores active, which is not bad but I'd look for an ATX sized Z390 board with a better VRM, and 3200+ MHz RAM. If you don't plan to change the monitor then a GTX 1660 is all you need, with a good quality 500W PSU. Everything else is good. :)

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

As Rex has said, if you won't be able to overclock your CPU with that motherboard.

I would spring for a better monitor if I were you. I've very partial to 27", WQHD, 144Hz, IPS panels myself, especially the ones with G-Sync.

It's a good build, but you will max out that monitor ez with that GPU.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

I wouldn't get an 9700K IMO. Between games now and later using upto 16 threads and next set of consoles also supporting 8 core 16 threads. I would grab 9900k or Ryzen 3700/3800x. As long as you get X570 with 3000 series your going to be fine with Ryzen

Ghostwa1ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ghostwa1ker

I asked if i could get help building a new PC, but maybe i should ask if by upgrading mine it would still be solid. I have a i5 4690K with a 1080 FTW GPU and 8 GB of RAM, but the MB will need to be replaced as two channels for my RAM have stopped working.

If you do not think upgrading my PC would make it solid again, would you all recommend building a new PC i take it?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 04dcarraher

@ghostwa1ker:

Upgrade the cpu+motherboard and ram, and you will be good for awhile. I came from an i5 4690k to i7 8700 and it was a massive upgrade for my minimum and average framerate on my GTX 1080. I would grab a Ryzen 3700x and x570 board with 16gb 3200mhz or higher clocked.

Ghostwa1ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ghostwa1ker

@04dcarraher: That is what i am being told in other forums as well. To keep the GPU for now, and upgrade the CPU, MB and RAM and i should be okay.

I guess later on i could pick up another 1080 FTW to SLI with this one right, or would it best to later pick up a newer GPU?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@ghostwa1ker said:

@04dcarraher: That is what i am being told in other forums as well. To keep the GPU for now, and upgrade the CPU, MB and RAM and i should be okay.

I guess later on i could pick up another 1080 FTW to SLI with this one right, or would it best to later pick up a newer GPU?

Don't believe Nvidia or AMD care about dual card setups.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 04dcarraher

@Random_Matt said:
@ghostwa1ker said:

They care to a degree since it means more cards to sell especially with 4k+ and or high refresh rates. The problem is its with DX12 and Vulkan and the work needed to code for Multi gpu setups is more on the devs and not solely on AMD/Nvidia anymore vs DX11 and back. Its the devs that determine if their games will support it and since the vast majority dont use multi-gpus anymore its not worth it to code for it.

Look at Battlefield 1and 5 with DX11 mode still there your able to active a profile with Nvidia inspector with a few tweaks , even though Dice didnt support it however DX12 mode no support what so ever.

Ghostwa1ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ghostwa1ker

It seems it would be better to just build a new PC, and sell this one to make back some of the money i waste on the new one.

If i do just upgrade some of the components, Any suggestions for a good case with good airflow?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-642321fb121ca
@04dcarraher said:
@Random_Matt said:
@ghostwa1ker said:

They care to a degree since it means more cards to sell especially with 4k+ and or high refresh rates. The problem is its with DX12 and Vulkan and the work needed to code for Multi gpu setups is more on the devs and not solely on AMD/Nvidia anymore vs DX11 and back. Its the devs that determine if their games will support it and since the vast majority dont use multi-gpus anymore its not worth it to code for it.

Look at Battlefield 1and 5 with DX11 mode still there your able to active a profile with Nvidia inspector with a few tweaks , even though Dice didnt support it however DX12 mode no support what so ever.

I see, haven't had a dual setup since GTX 480. Prefer just the one these days.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-642321fb121ca
@ghostwa1ker said:

It seems it would be better to just build a new PC, and sell this one to make back some of the money i waste on the new one.

If i do just upgrade some of the components, Any suggestions for a good case with good airflow?

Ryzen is probably the best route to go, I would of done if there was a high tier MATX board.

Ghostwa1ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghostwa1ker

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bBdgb8

Settled on that build. Any suggestions? Speak now or forever hold your peace lol

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 04dcarraher

@ghostwa1ker:

I would replace the 500gb samsung for a 1tb m.2 for under $90. You have intel nvme and a regular sata WD m.2's

WD Blue 1tb

Intel 660p SSD 1tb