Need a PSU advise please.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Flamerdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Flamerdragon
Member since 2003 • 212 Posts

Before I built my rig I looked into it and I found out that 600W PSU would be ok.

I didnt want to spend too much on the PSU, so I looked for what would suffice.

My rig:

Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard

EVGA GTX670 2GB

i7 3770K CPU, 3rd Generation

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3

Coolermaster 212 EVO Fan (for CPU)

Windows 7 64bit

and the Corsair GS 600W

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read some other posts here and they get some good clear answers.

I would like some decent clear answers too, to help me understand how it works and if

my current PSU is actually decent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use the PC for gaming and for using softwares like, Maya, NukeX, Mudbox, AfterEffects and such.

Thanks in advance.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

600w is enough for pretty much any single GPU system, and corsair is a good make.

You're fine.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

600w is enough for pretty much any single GPU system, and corsair is a good make.

You're fine.

Yeah he is... And TC remember quality over quantity. For a single GPU system, a quality 500-550W PSU is recommended above a low quality with higher wattage.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Flamerdragon said:

Before I built my rig I looked into it and I found out that 600W PSU would be ok.

I didnt want to spend too much on the PSU, so I looked for what would suffice.

My rig:

Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard

EVGA GTX670 2GB

i7 3770K CPU, 3rd Generation

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3

Coolermaster 212 EVO Fan (for CPU)

Windows 7 64bit

and the Corsair GS 600W

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read some other posts here and they get some good clear answers.

I would like some decent clear answers too, to help me understand how it works and if

my current PSU is actually decent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use the PC for gaming and for using softwares like, Maya, NukeX, Mudbox, AfterEffects and such.

Thanks in advance.

It really depends on how many years you've been using it, if it's a year or so you're fine, if it's 3 years old or above you should buy a new one, since capacity is getting lower (it's aging)

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

go check out Johnny Guru. He puts PSU's through the ringer so if they can survive what he throws at them and still make it out alive then you know that its a PSU.

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

If you're set on getting a new one this EVGA is pretty awesome. It comes with a 3 year warranty and is only $60. It's not modular, but for that price who cares? I'm currently using it for my build and I'm running a AMD 8350 and a GTX 770 4GB Windforce gpu.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

You're good with Corsair

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

The 600w GS is an alright psu , its not bad nor is it great but it will do the job.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

600W is good for you, and don't cheap out on the PSU.

Flamerdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Flamerdragon

Thank you guys for the replies!

I had a surge, that caused my PC to be on restart loop every few secs, whenever i tried turning it on.

I was thinking about changing the PSU to 850W or 1000W in fear that it was a PSU fault taking more power than it should as I got a warning about 3.3v something from Asus AI Suite software, before it started looping.

I cleaned it up, took off the RAMs and put them back on and it the PC turned on.

The PC is almost 2 years old, to answer @PredatorRules

So I guess, I am good for now, from what I understood from your replies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more question:

If I go SLi with the same GPU, and maybe ovreclock the CPU, I should go 1000W or would a 850W be ok?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Flamerdragon said:

I had a surge, that caused my PC to be on restart loop every few secs, whenever i tried turning it on.

I was thinking about changing the PSU to 850W or 1000W in fear that it was a PSU fault taking more power than it should as I got a warning about 3.3v something from Asus AI Suite software, before it started looping.

I cleaned it up, took off the RAMs and put them back on and it the PC turned on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more question:

If I go SLi with the same GPU, and maybe ovreclock the CPU, I should go 1000W or would a 850W be ok?

850 should be fine, but I'd go with a 900 one just to be safe.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@Flamerdragon said:

One more question:

670 SLI can be done with a 650W... At least done by a user one these boards before. 850W quality PSU should be enough, and have enough room for a lot of OC'ing. @klunt_bumskrint runs SLI 780 and a 3770K at 4.7 with 850W. His system never used more than 805W or so from the wall during load (he measured it). Granted getting a 1000W PSU might result in having it longer before you change.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@horgen said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Flamerdragon said:

One more question:

670 SLI can be done with a 650W... At least done by a user one these boards before. 850W quality PSU should be enough, and have enough room for a lot of OC'ing. @klunt_bumskrint runs SLI 780 and a 3770K at 4.7 with 850W. His system never used more than 805W or so from the wall during load (he measured it). Granted getting a 1000W PSU might result in having it longer before you change.

Here is the thread Horgen is talking about, it might be of use to you.

I was pulling 806 watts BUT that was with both GPU's running at 1320MHz, Mem at well over 7GHz and a custom bios that gives the cards up to 400w each (if they need it) and it was during a GPU benchmark.

So it's really as much anyone with 2 grunty GPU's is ever realisticly going to use.

Flamerdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Flamerdragon

Awesome, thanks guys!

Cheers