My first computer in many years (terrable experiance)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By danyopizzle
Member since 2005 • 341 Posts

Get a comp for roughly an arm and leg, get a loan for this as well to get a moniter. Set it up AWESOME!!! A FREAKING COMPUTER!!!! Great. Comps ready to go, moniter doesnt recognize the comp, hook the comp to the tv with hdmi still no signal to do a test. Nothing. Try moniter to my xbox, AWESOME THE XBOX RUNS, desktop doesnt. Crap. Have to take it back, great, all and dandy i come home than with a new and "improved desktop" for an additional 20 dollars to get it. Runs amazing, wow awesome, let me get google chrome i hate explorer. Awesome this looks legit, crap i think this is a virus... YES BRICKS MY PC WHERE IT DOES NOTHING RESTARTS FREEZES AND EVERYTHING. Files and adds shoot on this pc and i cant stop it. Screw it factory reset, here i am... awesome now it seems fine but wow what a bad experiance, how do u pc people do it???

Ive been a console guy for so long, i have the mcafee version right now had it at first and everything. How do you people do it? This is so advanced idk if i wan keep doing it, im scared i will run into another virus.

Now i have 2 files sitting on my desktop called desktop.ini god forbid im scared to touch them i dont understand you PC people, you must know alot to own one!!!!!

I would like some pointers, i got a gaming computer so i can play simulation games thats the key as to why i got it

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Get adblock for your browser.

Use firewall, I don't cause I'm lazy, but for your sake I think Windows would do the trick.

Download malware bytes, use that when you are in deep doodoo. If you are in deeper doodoo, google search it ex. some fake antivirus that you didn't install by (insert name) is popping up. Theres some free tools on Kapersky sites that also saves you.

I don't think it'll happen again so easily just a bad trip. Stuff like this happens sometimes PC isn't for the weak hence why mac and tablet market is growing, but is still pretty easy to use.

I like to partition my OS from the games and junk, so I can just wipe windows clean and start fresh if necessary. Make sure you have restore points on.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@danyopizzle said:

Get a comp for roughly an arm and leg, get a loan for this as well to get a moniter. Set it up AWESOME!!! A FREAKING COMPUTER!!!! Great. Comps ready to go, moniter doesnt recognize the comp, hook the comp to the tv with hdmi still no signal to do a test. Nothing. Try moniter to my xbox, AWESOME THE XBOX RUNS, desktop doesnt. Crap. Have to take it back, great, all and dandy i come home than with a new and "improved desktop" for an additional 20 dollars to get it. Runs amazing, wow awesome, let me get google chrome i hate explorer. Awesome this looks legit, crap i think this is a virus... YES BRICKS MY PC WHERE IT DOES NOTHING RESTARTS FREEZES AND EVERYTHING. Files and adds shoot on this pc and i cant stop it. Screw it factory reset, here i am... awesome now it seems fine but wow what a bad experiance, how do u pc people do it???

Ive been a console guy for so long, i have the mcafee version right now had it at first and everything. How do you people do it? This is so advanced idk if i wan keep doing it, im scared i will run into another virus.

Now i have 2 files sitting on my desktop called desktop.ini god forbid im scared to touch them i dont understand you PC people, you must know alot to own one!!!!!

I would like some pointers, i got a gaming computer so i can play simulation games thats the key as to why i got it

Never used an anti virus since years.

I just don't get em' (those that slows your PC or f^ck it up badly)

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@danyopizzle: Including monitor I spent a little over $4000 on a desktop. It's an awesome computer. It can do anything and everything as fast as I want it to. RAM and RAM speeds I feel are very important. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with how fast your antivirus encounters the viruses but my antivirus is bad ass. I went with the Titanium Premium at Tiger Direct. It's about $100. I went in store to buy it. I usually turn everything up so that my antivirus is very sensitive. I must say my computer was getting constantly hit but the antivirus blocked it. I'm also using wireless internet which tends to be a little safer as I have been told because the firewall is more sensitive. The way I figure it is if they don't sell it than it must not be any good. By the way Tiger Direct doesn't sell Kaspersky. lol I'm also using a SSD which I'm not sure if that has anything to do with how well my computer is protected.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If I buy a pre-built computer such as a laptop from a store, I usually try it out there (to make sure it works) before leaving the store. I've done it at Best Buy. I've done it at Wal-Mart.

As for a possible virus with an antivirus software installed....... The only way that could happen is if someone already used the computer and surfed questionable sites before you bought it.

Otherwise, going straight to say, Google or mozilla.org would not cause a virus to get in because of the firewall, antivirus software, and Windows Defender being on by default.

There is a saying, "Don't bullshit the bullshitter."

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@RimacBugatti: Google. Honestly 1000's of people will have had your specific issue and they've asked and gotten answers it's up too you to figure it out and find the fix. No one taught me how to do this stuff I looked it up when I was confused or needed to fix or work on something I knew nothing about. Computers aren't as hard as you seem to think when you have the internet to tell you what to do, and their infinite knowledge base to call upon.

Also for $4000 what kind of specs did you get? I think we'd all like too know what a $4000 dollar prebuilt in a store actually contains for parts as that's an extremely expensive computer.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RimacBugatti

@ribstaylor1: Unfortunately it wasn't prebuilt so I had to build it myself which was actually fun. It runs a 1200 watt power supply. I'm running the i73960x which is the 6 core CPU. I'm running 32 GB of RAM at 2400 mhz. Asus Rampage Extreme 4 motherboard. GTX 690 video card. Dual Blu-Ray drives/burners. Water cooled with including the smaller fans approximately 30 fans all together which make it run extremely cool. Little loud though. I'm running dual Vertex 4 SSD which are only 128 GB each. I actually reached a 175 fps in BO2 with everything turned up. It runs every game extremely smooth. It was my first build and I really couldn't afford it but I figure how often do we build computers? Might as well do it right the first time. My next build will probably warrant $10,000. With this build I actually want to run a second GTX 690. Ofcourse I would also add just in case another 1200 watt power supply to keep it running cool.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Sick computer. A little overboard if you can't afford it but it's all ways good to not have to upgrade for years. I spent close too $3000 on mine this last summer, which comes to around $2500 dollar build from America for that very same reason. Buy good quality and decent power now and leave it be till you need to upgrade again is exactly how I approached the build.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Is this a troll topic?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@GTR12 said:

Is this a troll topic?

obviously. Either TC is 8 years old, or he is trolling hard.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If you can't spell the word terrible then you're not smart enough for PC gaming, I recommend the Xbox 360 - you'll fit right in.

At first I thought RimacBugatti was a troll, but i've recently come to realise that he's just clueless and should be ignored.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I'm confused...

• So you got a loan for a PC?
  • Bought a pre-built?
  • Connected it to a monitor?
  • And it didn't run?
  • You took it to get repaired for $20?
  • Google chrome "bricked" your PC?
  • and It came back with lots pop ups?

Seem's like... Well don't want to be harsh but:

@GTR12 said:

Is this a troll topic?

I have built around 5 PC's for my self and over 20+ for family and friends and so on... I have never had one of them report back with a virus and only 3 or 4 times did a build not work on boot and that was due to faulty part's, usually RAM or motherboard. Virus's haven't really ever been a problem unless you go on dodgy sites and or download things that aren't legit.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

I don't think he is child or troll I think he is a foreigner. Obviously $4000 in his country is not the same as $4000 in ours. It's like the new consoles in countries like Brazil where they cost like $1000 or more because of tariffs and stuff. Sure wish USA had more trade tariffs, it would keep more of these slave labor goods from china and other places out and balance the competition.

That being said this build does seem like a beasty PC and would be fun to actually build. OP didn't build this himself(actually do the building). I am water cooling next build for sure.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#14 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

desktop.ini should be a hidden file.... but will show up if hidden files are being shown

Heres how to make sure hidden files are not being shown...

Click Windows Start button buttom left of PC, then click Computer, then top left of window click on Organize, then Folder and Layout Options, then View tab, then find "Don't Show hidden files, folders or drives"....

that should hide it, if it doesnt then just right click on the desktop.ini file and make it hidden under its properties.

as for viruses you will be fine if you don't go into bad websites or use files that are questionable. But you should still use microsoft security essentials and have it enabled for real time scanning, and I also like to use Malwarebytes as a secondary scanner, but I don't have realtime enabled on that, i just do manual scans every so often with it. Both are free to use and don't give too many false positives and have no impact on performance. Mcafee and Norton are crap and I wouldn't install them on your system unless you want it to lag and become crap.

Download an ad-blocker for your browser, without on your at risk of getting accidental clicking on pop ups which may give you extra tracking cookies or maybe even viruses and plus its annoying as hell to get pop ups and extra ads sucking up precious bandwidth. I use Adblock Plus on my firefox.

You should also google any extra questions you have. You can learn a lot faster for simple questions rather then asking in here.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@RimacBugatti:

$4k with a GTX 690? lol

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

So i bought an Xbox One, AWESOME. Been a pc gamer for years and now here im an with a true next generation system! Take it out the box, smells guuud, can't wait to hook it up and play a console exclusive quality title such as Ryse Son of Rome. Connect everything, my X1 doesn't detect my $3.000 HDTV. I ask myself why? God doesn't answer. Jesus gives me no answer either. But im strong so i take my HDMI cable and connect it to my pc monitor and BOOM it works. AWESOME! Now i have to take back my Xbox One and accept being rejected by Jesus. Eight hours later i replace my Xbox One. Connect it, everything works fine until i get into the dashboard. Ads, ads everywhere... I ask myself if every Xbox One comes preloaded with free viruses, google it and find no answer. PC gamer im, i instantly think of downloading a adsblocker, look on xbox live and find nothing else but some Jay Z spam and "Belive the Hype" quotes plastered all over the motherfucking place.

Won't go further but this is how dumb u sound, TC.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Sounds like you're one of those people that will screw up even the most idiot-proof system. It doesn't necessarily mean you're an idiot, it's just that your mind works in a totally different way than 99% of the people that use computers or make software. I happen to know some fairly intelligent people that fit into this group.

danyopizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 danyopizzle
Member since 2005 • 341 Posts

@ferrari2001: im not trolling, if i were i would do it with a different account where i didnt spend years on the site with the account, i love gamespot lol i wud not disrespect its members :)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

If you can't spell the word terrible then you're not smart enough for PC gaming, I recommend the Xbox 360 - you'll fit right in.

At first I thought RimacBugatti was a troll, but i've recently come to realise that he's just clueless and should be ignored.

RimacBugatti isn't a troll? I really thought he was.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@danyopizzle said:

@ferrari2001: im not trolling, if i were i would do it with a different account where i didnt spend years on the site with the account, i love gamespot lol i wud not disrespect its members :)

If your not trolling then you have to be one of dumbest people to have ever walked the earth. Even my 2 year old nephew knows how to use a computer. Best time you start learning.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

You could have a painful experience with anything you purchase, seems like you got a bad bit of bad luck.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

$4k on that pc? And you can't clean out malware or learn to use/properly install simple software? /r/thathappened

maynardburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 maynardburger
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts

It sounds like you've used computers before, so I don't know exactly what you're doing wrong or what's so difficult that you didn't have problems with before.

The computer not showing up on the display is common with new computers and usually just a minor error on the part of whoever built it. It could have also been something you were doing and didn't realize. Hard to say.

And the anti-virus stuff, well, if you've used computers before, you should know generally how this works. Stay away from questionable sites, downloads and emails as anti-virus programs don't provide 100% guaranteed protection. Personally, I don't have anti-virus software installed as I'm careful about where I go on the internet and do monthly free scans with Malwarebytes, which will usually find anything. If I need to clean up something, then there's a few free tools you can use as well that generally get rid of anything. But even if do want that layer of protection for yourself, something like Microsoft Security Essentials is free, generally very good, and doesn't bog down your system like many anti-virus programs like McAfee does.

Anyways, none of this really has to do with gaming PC's necessarily. Its just stuff that anybody who uses a computer at all might have to deal with. So I think your frustration is a bit misplaced.

Take some time to read up on stuff you're unsure about. A little research goes a long way and you don't need to be that smart at all. I built my own gaming PC having only opened up a PC to look inside maybe twice in my life and would have had no idea what I was doing, but a few Youtube videos and a bit of reading and I put it together quite easily, saved a ton of money and now have that satisfaction that comes with doing something myself and a stronger connection to my computer and greater knowledge of computer parts. Stay involved with a community like on here or elsewhere that you can go to for support and questions as most people are very happy to help out. Just be calm about it! ;)

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RimacBugatti

@dommeus:

Yeah the CPU was $1000 my RAM was around $500 and my motherboard was around $500. Trust me it added up a lot faster than I thought it would. I still have to spend another $1250 roughly in order to complete the build. My case was over $150. My dual Blu-Ray drives were $120 each. My power supply was about $250. My HDD's were $120 each. My water cooler was over $100. Actually including the dual touchscreen Planar 22/24 inch monitors we are over $4500. And then there's the keyboard which was around $100 and my mouse which was around $60. Not to mention the additional fans.

krazyorange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25 krazyorange
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

Least-concealed troll of the day award goes to OP. Unless you live in Lesotho and all your parts have to be smuggled in under the skin of wild goats, you're full of shit.

That said, unless you downloaded Chrome from www.thissiteistotallylegit.noviruseshere.GETCHROMEFREE.net, the goats' blood probably seeped into your motherboard and you'll need to replace it with one from NASA.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Build one and none of that bullshit will happen. Also, don't go to porn sites, it won't work long :P