deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/3/16968024/microsoft-windows-10-s-mode-editions-features

Thoughts?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It'll mostly be on Microsoft-branded hardware. So long as 3rd-party hardware have the non-S version, I don't care. Plus, the OS can be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro through Microsoft for "a one-time fee of" $49.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/03/windows-10-s-microsoft-faster-pc-comparison

That's a better deal than what I got with my 2010 netbook. It came with Windows 7 Starter. To get Windows 7 Home Premium, I had to pay full price.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Microsoft is switching its approach to Windows 10 S, its new version of Windows that’s designed to compete with Chrome OS.

Doesn't affect gamers or productivity users so I don't care.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Looks like Microsoft is targeting "casuals" and temporary educational users (i.e. people that don't own the computer, only use it) to pad their numbers.

I smell an awkward, unnecessary, and draconian measure coming...

"Oh, well, 60+% of people were happy with Windows 10 'S-mode' so we can move to a more secure version for everyone"

@UssjTrunks said:

Microsoft is switching its approach to Windows 10 S, its new version of Windows that’s designed to compete with Chrome OS.

Meh, you should care a little bit. Might migrate over to gamers and productivity users eventually. Change occurs slowly, sometimes imperceptibly. You might boot up Windows one day to find you have to pay extra to use non-MS programs and such.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/3/16968024/microsoft-windows-10-s-mode-editions-features

Thoughts?

UPDATE on this: https://www.pcauthority.com.au/news/microsoft-will-reportedly-replace-windows-10-s-with-s-mode-484640

It's just going to be a MODE for Windows so you can choose which one you want to use.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#6  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

There should be no fees to get out of S mode. That is unacceptable.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@BassMan said:

There should be no fees to get out of S mode. That is unacceptable.

I agree, but I'm guessing it's depending on the device it comes with.

There will be low resource devices with S Mode enabled.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Looks like Microsoft is targeting "casuals" and temporary educational users (i.e. people that don't own the computer, only use it) to pad their numbers.

I smell an awkward, unnecessary, and draconian measure coming...

"Oh, well, 60+% of people were happy with Windows 10 'S-mode' so we can move to a more secure version for everyone"

@UssjTrunks said:

Meh, you should care a little bit. Might migrate over to gamers and productivity users eventually. Change occurs slowly, sometimes imperceptibly. You might boot up Windows one day to find you have to pay extra to use non-MS programs and such.

That's how they'll lose all those customers. MS isn't about to lose its entire corporate and gaming user base (the former of which is its core customer) to sell more apps from its store. It doesn't make any business sense, so it's not going to happen.