Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 overhead_drums
Member since 2010 • 338 Posts

I just purchased this system:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-gamer-rtx-amd-ryzen-7-2700x-16gb-ddr4-8gb-evga-rtx-2080-xc-500gb-2tb-win-10

Do I need a wireless card with this MOBO?

Cheers! x

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

According the the specs on the sight it comes with wifi

overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 overhead_drums
Member since 2010 • 338 Posts

@04dcarraher: Hooray! That's what I read too. Just making sure that means 'don't plug me into an ethernet cable, I'm okay'. Haven't brought a new pc in a while..

Cheers!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@overhead_drums: It is best to avoid using Wifi unless you have no other option. A wired connection is both more reliable and secure.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@BassMan said:

@overhead_drums: It is best to avoid using Wifi unless you have no other option. A wired connection is both more reliable and secure.

Ironically the PC I have with a wired connection has more problems with the connection than my Wifi connected pc.

I think it is PC though causing those problems.

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts
@horgen said:
@BassMan said:

Ironically the PC I have with a wired connection has more problems with the connection than my Wifi connected pc.

Why not just test some PCIe card (TP-LINK TG-3468 V2 is cheap and reliable) and if the problem is not solved, then your router is probably effed up... Although sometimes a very simple thing like bad ethernet cable can 'cause issues (happened to me twice).

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator

@WESTBLADE said:
@horgen said:
@BassMan said:

Why not just test some PCIe card (TP-LINK TG-3468 V2 is cheap and reliable) and if the problem is not solved, then your router is probably effed up... Although sometimes a very simple thing like bad ethernet cable can 'cause issues (happened to me twice).

Probably the cable knowing my luck. Recently switched out a bad DP cable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
@horgen said:
@WESTBLADE said:
@horgen said:
@BassMan said:

Probably the cable knowing my luck. Recently switched out a bad DP cable.

Heh, i can relate - i thought my brand new RTX 2070 i bought last year was broken; screen was going black for a second and sometimes my PC outright refused to boot - turned out it was just bad HDMI cable...XD Zero issues since then. Sometimes such a tiny (and unexpected) thing can cause a huge headache.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 horgen  Moderator

@WESTBLADE said:

Heh, i can relate - i thought my brand new RTX 2070 i bought last year was broken; screen was going black for a second and sometimes my PC outright refused to boot - turned out it was just bad HDMI cable...XD Zero issues since then. Sometimes such a tiny (and unexpected) thing can cause a huge headache.

I've had the occasional flickering and black screen over several years, through 4 GPUs and 4 monitors and 2-3 cables. Never had any issues and performance have always been as expected all through this. So I just lived with it, but now I recently got a new monitor which gave me a warning with the old DP cable. I switched to the one that followed the monitor and now I don't get any more warnings and haven't had a single random black screen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

@horgen: Yup, ever since then i laugh at people who claim that ''...any cheap cable with given spec will do, you just pay extra for the brand name, 'cause they are all the same...''. That reminds me of a dude i haven't seen for like ~10 years who said that ''you don't need a pricey (high-end) MOBO, only CPU and GPU is what matters...'', lol, what an idiot... Mainly because he was rocking a (then) high-end GTX 280 and a first gen i7 (950 i think), tied to some barebones microATX + a shitty PSU that could barely feed the GPU (didn't even have the 6/8 pin GPU cables so he had to use those shitty molex-to-gpu adapters).

Well, i must admit that I didn't know any better back then, as i was always going for some cheap ass CPU's and relatively strong GPU's (very unbalanced builds).

I bought my i7-4790K when it was a brand new, top-end CPU. Never regretted it as it can keep up til this day, however i can already tell that it's holding me back in many cases (i do a shitload of stuff on my PC, gaming is not a priority), so i'm just waiting for new Intel platform (i did that mistake with my i7-4790K, cause it was the very last CPU for s.1150) as i have to buy CPU+MOBO+RAM all at the same time... Kinda sucks, 'cause i looked how much would a future-proofed build (i9-9900K, 64GB DDR4 RAM, a top-end Z390 MOBO + some fast M.2 SSD) cost and can't shell out like 1500 Euro right now (can already hear my family giving me the usual 'blame yourself, you selfish asshole' talk, although it's my own money). Oh well...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@WESTBLADE: Well perhaps don't go for the cheapest one, but look up reviews or impressions of different cables. I haven't though. Just bought one. Most I think I have have I gotten together with the monitor I've bought.

Anyhow I never cheap out on PSU and mobo. I am running an i5 for far too long. Delidded though. I really want to move up to HEDT platform.. but it's honestly a waste of money for my current usage.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

@horgen: Hmm, can't speak for DP cables, because since my first HDTV (2010?) always had a PC hooked up through HDMI, because last monitor i had was using DVI + VGA.

As of now, with current 4K+HDR setup, i can't really go cheap there, especially with the bandwith needed to transfer the PQ + to avoid electromagnetic interference. It's like with these USB type B (AKA mini USB - now replaced by micro/type C) cables, where some of them can't provide enough power to spin-up an external 2,5" HDD.

Basically, if i could shellout over 3K Euro on my TV, i shouldn't use a cheap ~10 Euro cable...XD

I always try to carefully choose what i'm buying, so i won't end up with an overpriced and/or useless piece of junk. However, the reviews/opinions are also full of shit sometimes. Some people who are the ones to blame for their own stupidity and it's not that given product being bad (improper usage/not reading the description/just being clueless in general) will produce ''false alarm'' reviews.

For example, there was (and still is) so much misinformation about RTX 20xx series, it's downright incredible (in a bad way)... But since you own a 2080, you probably get the idea of how ''underperforming'' / or plain POS your card is...XD
As for the the HEDT platform... umm, isn't that more of a server/workstation/i-have-money-to-burn thing? I usually go for raw power - single thread performance and not for more cores: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html (LOL@AMD :P). But if you can fully utilize it, okay, but i could never justify buying a ~1K CPU when i can buy for half the price more suitable one (but with the current ''trend'' of bumping up the prices with each new gen of CPU's / GPU's / RAM, i think i'm gonna end up paying that much anyway, duh).