Metro 2033 - Thumbs Down

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2453 Posts
If you didn't appreciate Metro 2033 then it's probably because you don't know **** about what makes a good FPS. Go back to CoD kid.jack00
This x10
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Well, I've been playing the game quite a bit lately, and I have noticed two things.

First, I have found that killing things in the later levels takes fewer rounds than it did in the earlier levels, and the second thing I have found is that the game appears to actually be getting better graphically as I play it. The lighting and atmosphere during some of these later levels is pretty awesome.

I'm playing the game on a 5870 Vapor-X/Phenom 945 combo and I'm usually between 55 and 70 FPS on "Very High" DX11 @ 1920x1080 (with DOF off, and a few other config tweaks).

AR-15

I felt that too, Most games I play seem to get worse as the game progresses for some reason or another. But Metro 2033 just got better and better. Especially that subway/train area that was really open and really big. it was spectaular

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

I liked it. And I actually played it to the end. I usually don't begin a game and finish it without picking up something else.

davaniius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 davaniius
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts

It's true that it gets better as you progress. I stopped playing this game about half way through thinking the same thing as the tc. Then I bought the 3d vision kit and gave it another try. 3d in this game is incredible and probably was the reason I actually finished it in one sitting.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#55 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Bad news for me then....oh, wait, I can find out for myself.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

The shooting could have been better but it was still pretty good imo and i enjoyed the game overall quite a bit. Also Stalker had great gunplay very satisfying as it strikes a great balance between arcadey and tactical shooters for the gunplay. Only the early parts when your weapons where bad was the gunplay not so good but it made sense in that you where starting out as a newbie so of course your not going to have the best weapons.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#57 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

The theme music and the mini-gun had me a bit worried. In a way, it just screams modern-day fps clone. I hope they stay true to Metro. I must agree, the stealth part was pretty badass until he started curb-stomping everyone with his mini-gun. :P

ChubbyGuy40

It's obvious that's just for that section. Remember how ammo is so f***ing difficult to find even if you do explore? I'm betting that was just one of those scenes where they break away from the norm a bit. I'm fine with sections like that, just don't make it totally intrude on the game or give us additional ammo for it.

True! :) I'm going to wait and see. I don't mind them doing this trailer so they could grab more of the market. Just don't splice the game and turn it into "another shooter." I have faith that they will stay true to the book and series though. I'm pretty stoked for this. :D
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

[QUOTE="AR-15"]

Well, I've been playing the game quite a bit lately, and I have noticed two things.

First, I have found that killing things in the later levels takes fewer rounds than it did in the earlier levels, and the second thing I have found is that the game appears to actually be getting better graphically as I play it. The lighting and atmosphere during some of these later levels is pretty awesome.

I'm playing the game on a 5870 Vapor-X/Phenom 945 combo and I'm usually between 55 and 70 FPS on "Very High" DX11 @ 1920x1080 (with DOF off, and a few other config tweaks).

seanmcloughlin

I felt that too, Most games I play seem to get worse as the game progresses for some reason or another. But Metro 2033 just got better and better. Especially that subway/train area that was really open and really big. it was spectaular

The nazi station part? I loved that one too.
PRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PRowcester
Member since 2011 • 153 Posts

Probably one of the worst games I've played this year. Yeah, sure it's atmospheric and immersive, but

all that immersion ends as soon as the shooting starts and you realize that you have to put round after round into an enemy

and he still won't go down.

Obviously, the Stalker developers didn't learn a thing about hit detection from Stalker.

If you're looking for a satisfying shooter, don't bother. If you like running around in tunnels, listening

to people's conversations, then you'll probably like this game.

Ricardo41

Very strange. I did not have ANY of the problems you described, and I enjoyed the game immensely.

There were couple of spots when the hit detection wasn't very good, but otherwise, it was very good. Headshots were very satisfying, and the weapons handled great.

I personally loved it.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

If you didn't appreciate Metro 2033 then it's probably because you don't know **** about what makes a good FPS. Go back to CoD kid.jack00

If your feelings are that significantly affected by someone else's opinions of a computer game, I think it's clear who the "kid" in this situation really is. Back to the Kleenex box for you, perhaps?

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I played the game after playing STALKER (where head shots are a must) so I didn't have much trouble taking down human enemies, in fact the parts in the game that gave me the most trouble were The Librarians and gas masks. Overall it was a good, atmospheric game that was definitely worth atleast one play through. (And for me eventually another one so I can try to get the "good" ending.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
I beat it on the hardest setting, it took skills yeah, but I am a pro quake player, so yeah.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#64 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

I'm not sure what you expected? Mutants are bullet resilient, since they're the 'next step in evolution.' Human enemies are easily dispatched by headshots. Better gear helps as well; the VSV with laser sight will take you through the entire game alone. If you use military grade ammo, it only takes something like 3-4 shots to take down an enemy (body). Of course, the lower grade ammo won't do as much damage. Shotguns seem to be better for mutants. Some weapons are fairly useless though... the pneumatic ball baring gun comes to mind.

I thought it was a fantastic game. Played through the game twice and the gun play never felt dull. I actually enjoy a lower damage model more, since you've got to pick your shots or catch the enemy out of position. Blind rushing enemies usually resulted in death (at least on higher difficulties).

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
I loved it. The feeling of hopelessness sneaking past enemy bases ect...
Avatar image for poovannaorcbane
poovannaorcbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 poovannaorcbane
Member since 2009 • 543 Posts

Probably one of the worst games I've played this year. Yeah, sure it's atmospheric and immersive, but

all that immersion ends as soon as the shooting starts and you realize that you have to put round after round into an enemy

Obviously, the Stalker developers didn't learn a thing about hit detection from Stalker.

If you're looking for a satisfying shooter, don't bother. If you like running around in tunnels, listening

Ricardo41

to enjoy this game- play at medium difficulty, i too got frustrated with enemies not dying in hard mode and i completely gave up, the stealth mechanics never really work ,u always run out of ammo etc but i got a new DX11 card and tried it again its enjoyable to a certain extent on lower difficulty so i would recommend u give it another shot, not the best shooter and has a lot of scope for improvement !! in the hard mode there was a point where i just went around stabbing creatures with the shotgun- melee attack/ knife cause i had run out of ammo and i had to reload that point several times but in medium difficulty i just walked through the same portion of the game without much fuss, lets hope METRO LAST LIGHT overcomes this game's shortcomings

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts
I read sooo much about the game's shooting mechanics being whack and the guns feeling like pea shooters before I got this game. After playing it, I haven't noticed it at all. This certainly is one of the most immersive games ever and the shooting fits just fine, don't see what the big fuss is.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#68 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

to enjoy this game- play at medium difficulty, i too got frustrated with enemies not dying in hard mode and i completely gave up, the stealth mechanics never really work ,u always run out of ammo etc but i got a new DX11 card and tried it again its enjoyable to a certain extent on lower difficulty so i would recommend u give it another shot, not the best shooter and has a lot of scope for improvement !! in the hard mode there was a point where i just went around stabbing creatures with the shotgun- melee attack/ knife cause i had run out of ammo and i had to reload that point several times but in medium difficulty i just walked through the same portion of the game without much fuss, lets hope METRO LAST LIGHT overcomes this game's shortcomings

poovannaorcbane

You ran out of ammo?... I never came close to running out. If you want enemies to die faster, you should just play on ranger mode.

Avatar image for poovannaorcbane
poovannaorcbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 poovannaorcbane
Member since 2009 • 543 Posts

[QUOTE="poovannaorcbane"]to enjoy this game- play at medium difficulty, i too got frustrated with enemies not dying in hard mode and i completely gave up, the stealth mechanics never really work ,u always run out of ammo etc but i got a new DX11 card and tried it again its enjoyable to a certain extent on lower difficulty so i would recommend u give it another shot, not the best shooter and has a lot of scope for improvement !! in the hard mode there was a point where i just went around stabbing creatures with the shotgun- melee attack/ knife cause i had run out of ammo and i had to reload that point several times but in medium difficulty i just walked through the same portion of the game without much fuss, lets hope METRO LAST LIGHT overcomes this game's shortcomings

cain006

You ran out of ammo?... I never came close to running out. If you want enemies to die faster, you should just play on ranger mode.

yes on my second playthrough lowered the difficulty, it was much more enjoyable :)
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#70 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i agree with the gunplay being pretty bad, but overall it was a very good game imo.
milannoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71 milannoir
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Ricardo41

Funny, I played on hard and didn't have that issue. I loved the game, and found the atmosphere exceptionnally well done.

Then again, I'm the sort of player who regrets the pre-RE4 games (though RE4 was awesome) because ammo was scarce and you had to use it well. Metro 2033 is an FPS, but catches that feeling from old RE games, were you're trying to avoid danger, and when you have to fight, you aim with caution and try to be bullet-effective.

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

I love when I come on the forums. One person says it's "over hyped" and another says it's "underhyped" :lol:.

Personally I'm loving this game. This was the first game I bought after switching to PC from Xbox. (actually tried to use a controller for this and CSS :lol: ). The games atmosphere, and over all game play is refreshing. I've been playing nothing but multiplayer games for a while and this one was a nice SP to come back to.

-A few people have mentiond STALKER and I think I might pick that up next.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
I had no trouble with combat against humans, it was quite great to be honest, even if combat zones were restrictive. The combat against the mutants was horrendous though, horrible uninteresting bulletsponges, who were added into the game just for that - they didn't exist in the book for a reason. No wonder they were out of place.
AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 AR-15
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

Just finished the game today.

Both endings are really weak, sadly, but overall I liked the game quite a bit, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Just finished the game today.

Both endings are really weak, sadly, but overall I liked the game quite a bit, and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

AR-15
The novel is far, far stronger in the plot and narrative department - it's actually quite good and remarkably different to the game in many ways. The english translation is a bit so-so at times, but it's worth checking out - if the series has a hook of interest.
AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 AR-15
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

I gunplay and AI was awful but, everything else was good.

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

it's ok since I thumbs down on you too.

can't appreciate a such masterpiece? sad

The best looking and most FPS in 2010 for me.