Looking for Space RPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Williwaw87
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Hi. I'm kind of new to the genre, but i'm really interested in futuristic space RPG's. I want decent graphics. Also, I don't want to play an MMO. I want a good storyline, and few glitches if any. I'm mainly looking for more recent games (2007 and on). Also, I'm looking for a Space RTS. Would Starcraft II be the choice? Thanks.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

mass effect 1 & 2 come to mind..

homeworld 2 is an obvious choice

dawn of war II is a must

sc2 is okay but its not what youd expect..

sins of a solar empire

sword of the stars

eve online sisnt bad

evochron mercenaries

Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Williwaw87

I will look into some of them. What is evochron? There is nothing on Gamespot about it.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I will look into some of them. What is evochron? There is nothing on Gamespot about it.

Williwaw87

space combat & exploration officially the game is just called "evochron" with the second word being ts release version.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Space Rangers 2: Reboot
kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts

Umm Mass Effect 1 and 2 or KOTOR will fill your needs easily. In fact KOTOR is like $9.99 on STEAM I think.

Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Williwaw87

Is Mass effect 2 space ship combat or person combat?

Also, can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of the game? I think most of the games ohave been reviewed on Gamespot, but some haven't.

Thanks, I'm getting a lot of good ideas. I'm kind of leaning towards Sins, Mass Effect 2 and Warhammer Dawn of War II.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Mass Effect 1 and 2 are the obvious choices. Good graphics, great storyline, great gameplay.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Also, can someone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of the game? I think most of the games ohave been reviewed on Gamespot, but some haven't.

Thanks, I'm getting a lot of good ideas. I'm kind of leaning towards Sins, Mass Effect 2 and Warhammer Dawn of War II.

Williwaw87

ME/ME2 are third person shooter style combat (with elements of squad combat).

Advantages: great story, great dialogue, good characters, some elements of choice in missions/quests, great combat

Disadvantages: pretty much none, maybe a few graphical glitches here and there

Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Williwaw87

I guess I'm really looking for spaceship stuff. Like EVE Online only single player. I would rather that than control a person or a bunch of people. Also, I really like exploration, so I don't know if that changes anything

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

There is the X series.

While not a good story per se, it has a great setting, and an immersive universe. Its kinda like a space simulator (minus the simulator part :P) where you command a ship like in Freelancer or Freespace.

Its a large and complicated game where you build up to basically a galactic empire through trading, fighting, and building.

Also, not a RTS, but there is Galactic Civilization II, basicaly like Civilization but in space, and a very good game.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

Williwaw87

The Mass Effect series is the only sci-fi type RPG I can think of in recent years. It does involve themes of being on a spaceship, traveling to other planets/solar systems. There is KOTOR like Kunk mentioned, but it is dated to how recent you want the games. Sci-fi RPGs in general are hard to come by, especially for the years you're looking for. Fantasy type RPGs are still very dominant in the genre, sadly.

As for space RTSs, Starcraft 2 isn't really based in space. Sure, the SP campaign involved the main characters being onboard a space ship, going from planet to planet, but the core of the game merely takes place on a planet's surface, duking it out amongst the three playable races. I would not consider it much of a space RTS. Sins of a Solar Empire, however, is definitely what you would be looking for. Completely based in space, an RTS, and lots of fun! There is also an indie space RTS by the name of A.I. War. Played it for a few hours so far and it's not a bad game for an indie. Doesn't have the greatest graphics and all the bells and whistles hallmark of a large commercial dev, but it's decent for what it is.

Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Williwaw87

Thanks.

The reason why I gave that window of time is because the older games are harder to find. (I don't use steam)

But yeah. It sucks that most games being released are fantasy. I can't find a single steampunk game that's considered fun.

Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Williwaw87

There is the X series.

While not a good story per se, it has a great setting, and an immersive universe. Its kinda like a space simulator (minus the simulator part :P) where you command a ship like in Freelancer or Freespace.

Its a large and complicated game where you build up to basically a galactic empire through trading, fighting, and building.

Also, not a RTS, but there is Galactic Civilization II, basicaly like Civilization but in space, and a very good game.

lettuceman44

Do you have a link to the X series page on GS? I can't find it.

And I'm open to RTS, but would probably still want to buy an RPG type.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
Just look up X SuperBox on Steam (box set of all the X games). Click on the various titles from there and there will be a MetaCritic score (and link) that you can read up on more.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
System Shock 2, graphics be damned. There are a couple of graphics mods though.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

Thanks.

The reason why I gave that window of time is because the older games are harder to find. (I don't use steam)

But yeah. It sucks that most games being released are fantasy. I can't find a single steampunk game that's considered fun.

Williwaw87
Older games are easy to find if you know where to look. (Hint: look for "good old games" in Google ;) ) Gog.com has Freespace 2, by the way, that sounds similar to what you're after. They also have the Master of Orion series. Actually, just click here for giant frakking ships in space. :P
Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Williwaw87

Sins gets crossed off the list. I want a story, and I just found out that there is no campaign. That's why I don't play Civ either.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts

[QUOTE="lettuceman44"]

There is the X series.

Williwaw87

Do you have a link to the X series page on GS? I can't find it.

And I'm open to RTS, but would probably still want to buy an RPG type.

X3 Terran Conflict

This is the newest game, and probably last X Game. Highly supported and patched, with a great community.

X Forums

Here is a link to the X forums if you want further info.

It's tough to get started in the game, no mercy, but if you persevere it becomes one of the best gaming experiences ever.

Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Williwaw87

Also, which of the above games has a demo? I like trying the game before buying it because I've been disppointed in the past.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

Sins gets crossed off the list. I want a story, and I just found out that there is no campaign. That's why I don't play Civ either.

Williwaw87
Space Quest then?
Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Williwaw87

looking into it

paladinqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 paladinqueen
Member since 2010 • 509 Posts

OK, starcraft II, em, not bad choose, but i don't like it ...i will choose warcraft III

Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Williwaw87

OK, starcraft II, em, not bad choose, but i don't like it ...i will choose warcraft III

paladinqueen

Why warcraft III? Isn't that fantasy.

I heard that Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II is kind of like an RPG. How so?

contaminated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 contaminated
Member since 2005 • 5373 Posts
You know this thread made me realize that there arn't that many rpgs that have a sci-fi setting. Either that or I'm not looking hard enough
Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Williwaw87

You know this thread made me realize that there arn't that many rpgs that have a sci-fi setting. Either that or I'm not looking hard enoughcontaminated

I'm having trouble finding it as well.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Nexus:The Jupiter Incident. Trust me, hugely underrated game and cheap on steam...older but still looks and plays great.
Shadowboro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shadowboro
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts

Well - like the other posters before me told you - your choices when picking up a space RPG for the PC are quite limited (because there really aren't that many of them, sadly). I guess if you are into hack&slash RPG's you could try Harbinger; the graphics are decent (for a 2003 isometric h&s game, that is), the story is alright (nothing that will wow you or stick with you for years to come, but again it's a h&s game and those aren't exactly known for deep storyline, even Diablo2 is kind of overrated in that aspect and it's story unfolds mostly through cutscenes). You can get info on the game and the demo (if you are interested) from herehttp://www.harbingergame.com/files.html.

There was also Albion, a space themed RPG from 1995 which is quite good in terms of storyline but the gameplay might be a bit dated and getting it to run on WinXp or newer OS is a pain in the ass. Here's a link to a "Let's play" of it on YT so you can check it out and see if the game is worth your timehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdrSweF30c.

As for RTS games, those aren't that many either. Besides the well known titles (Starcraft, C&C, Dune, Dark Reign) there are others like Emperor : Battle For Dune, Metal Fatigue. A more recent spade RTS game is Star Wars : Empire at War (and it's add-on Forces of Corruption). You might also want to check out Starship Troopers : Terran Ascendancy & the Homeworld series, but these games are mostly geared toward RTT (real time tactics) so you might not like them if you are looking for a strictly RTS experience. But lately there have been more space themed TBS games released than space themed RTS games, so you might be out of luck if you are looking for recent space themed RTS titles.

Anyway, good luck with it and I hope you will eventually find what you are looking for!

Shadowboro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Shadowboro
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts

[QUOTE="paladinqueen"]

Williwaw87

Why warcraft III? Isn't that fantasy.

I heard that Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II is kind of like an RPG. How so?

Warcraft III is clearly fantasy, he was probably stating his preference between the two (SCII & WCIII) and he forgot that you asked for space themed RTS.

Yes, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II is kind of like an RPG in that you control a squad of characters who gain experience, level up, unlock skills and can equip items that you get by completing missions. But in all other aspects the game is a strategy game, though it's slightly more geared towards RTT than Starcraft. Also, there is no base building or resource collecting in DOWII.

Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts
Since no one else has recommended it, I suggest you try out Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. It is a blend of RTS, Space combat and ship management. You should try out the demo and if you like it get it off steam (it is fairly cheap).
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Hi. I'm kind of new to the genre, but i'm really interested in futuristic space RPG's. I want decent graphics. Also, I don't want to play an MMO. I want a good storyline, and few glitches if any. I'm mainly looking for more recent games (2007 and on). Also, I'm looking for a Space RTS. Would Starcraft II be the choice? Thanks.

Williwaw87
RTS - Sins of a Solar Empire, Homefront 2 Action RPG - Darkstar One/Freelancer MMO - Eve Online
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Williwaw87

X3: Terran Conflict is just what you're looking for I think. You can basicly do anything in this game. You can fly arround in hundreds of different ships, attack anyone, do anything really. You start the game and the universe is yours to discover! You can make money by capturing ships, doing missions, pirating, trading. Later in the game you can build factories and other stations that will buy and sell automaticly to create an empire. You can hire traders and make them fly all over the universe to make you money. You can control fleets of ships including capital ships and go on rampages and destroy entire factions. The game is always in motion, the world is living arround you and theres always something to do in the huge number of sectors.

When it comes to space simulation, ive never played a game as in depth as X3.

Liam00148

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33 Liam00148
Member since 2009 • 543 Posts

in my opinion, starcraft and starcraft2 are the two best space RTS games out there right now, and for a space rpg, i would suggest EVE ONLINE to anyone, i believe there is a 30-day trial, but for the full experience, i would suggest paying for full membership, which is around $35 every two months.

Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Williwaw87

Another thing. I don't like scary stuff, so if any of the games are really scary, I won't want to play them. But I think the Mass effect 2 and Dark Orbit seem like the top two options right now.

Williwaw87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Williwaw87

in my opinion, starcraft and starcraft2 are the two best space RTS games out there right now, and for a space rpg, i would suggest EVE ONLINE to anyone, i believe there is a 30-day trial, but for the full experience, i would suggest paying for full membership, which is around $35 every two months.

Liam00148

I stated no MMO's. I'm looking for something with a story, and for the most part, it is much easier to find a good story in an RPG rather than an MMO

lothdragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lothdragon
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
If you have an Android mobile phone or tablet, you should check out Star Traders Elite RPG. If you search for "rpg" on the market, it will be your #1 result! Or, tak ea look at the game page: http://www.corytrese.com/games/startraders/ Star Traders Elite RPG is an epic space opera is a hit with fans of Star Wars, Firefly, Serenity and Battlestar Galatica. Your command of the ship is under constant threat, both internal and external. Can you manage your resources, crew, officers well to enough to turn a profit on your contracts and trades? Those that do will be among the Faction's elite Star Heroes -- and those that fail will be branded bandits and Crimelords. It has simple graphics, and reminds many gamers of old-school games, but it has surprising depth!
coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

KOTOR and KOTOR 2 (even thought they are old)

ME1, ME2 (great games)

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

Get Mass Effect 1 and 2, and play them in order. Then you can import your ME1 character into ME2 and play it with the same guy :).

malebog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 malebog123
Member since 2010 • 243 Posts

dawn of war 2 :great blend of action rpg/rts in a sci fi settings. Should get your inner scifi fanboy going ape ***

ElBuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 ElBuro
Member since 2010 • 205 Posts

Williwaw87

My friend than you must try out Freelancer. An awesome game still wastly played, telling story of colonists in deep far space with futuristic space countries of different cultures fighting for supremacy, it's all about economy, political machinations, plotting, treason, and you as a lonely mercenary trying to make a living in there somehow. It has an awesome Single Campaign, very easy in handling, but more of that it is a Semi-MMO as game consists of devices that allow you to open up a server with databases for over 250+ players, and there are such free private serves opened for online gameplay for everyone. Problem is, it is a game from 2003, but aint bad looking, best you check it out on google.

...starcraft2 are the two best space RTS games out there right now

Yeah aspeciauly wehn you like playing same old boring game with outdated gameplay from 1998 with just fancier 3d graphics, no tactical approach and strategy aspect of the game reduced to it's minimum. You better go play Ground Control - you got squads, not mass of single units, things like terrain, morale and unit experience do matter, flanking and all is important and game is truely chalenging, unlike Starcraft 2, when you just gather potatoes and spam enemy till he runs out of his potato fields...

Sorry, but imho Starcraft 2 was a joke... and an insult. 12 years of waiting and all they gave you was a graphic patch for the game from the late 90's.

Seriously, try looking at gameplay of Ground Control on youtube - you won't be dissapinted. Also an interesting story stands behind the game of two factions that long ago lost contact with earth and try to find a mythical relict ship to fix it and return home, to a legendary planet earth, from the hostile enviroment they were condemned to live in... damn it was such a good game I'm gonna play it right now!

there you go, a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkELaZ1FmVQ&feature=related

In fact it is a game that pushed RTS genere to an evolution two years after first Star Craft, it introduced new graphics, squad battle, and first time in sci fi or modern RTS genere on such scale you could miss your target, depending on conditions, if your units were away their accuracy reduced, power of their guns also, hiding in high grass made your infantry harder to spot and hit, while the angle of impact ment a lot to an armored battle, deciding wether your tank can survive or not. Splendid I tell you!

Also Mech Commander 2 - like above! More story, grand political conflict and you as a leader of mercenary group stuck deep in the shait of fighting for supremacy! Wast possibility of customizing your machines, equiping them with weapons and items of your choice, choosing right pilots to command them, as they gained experienced and new skills you could administer them to use on the battlefield. Insanely well done! Far more superior to Star Craft!

And thats a MC2 for you, enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7QyRCth1Qg

krelmmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 krelmmaster
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts

Freelancer would be a good choice for you i think. While the graphics are dated, it has everything else your looking for. A great story with quality voice acting, space exploration + combat, RPG elements like leveling up and upgrading your character (or ship rather). It's a classic game that unfortunately didn't seem to get much attention. If you haven't played it then you would not be disappointed.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Freelancer would be a good choice for you i think. While the graphics are dated, it has everything else your looking for. A great story with quality voice acting, space exploration + combat, RPG elements like leveling up and upgrading your character (or ship rather). It's a classic game that unfortunately didn't seem to get much attention. If you haven't played it then you would not be disappointed.

krelmmaster

Agreed. Freelancer remains the gold standard in the genre, and m favorite game of all time. :)