Keyboard/mouse VS Gamepad...What do you use?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Yoshi25
Member since 2004 • 4488 Posts
Who ever uses a Gampad for any online games must love getting roflstomped.. Shadowhawk000
Oh god no, I just use them for offline games where a gamepad feels more natural. Assassin's Creed, NBA 2K10, Burnout and GTA.
quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts
I've always felt more comfortable using KB/M as opposed to a controller for all PC games except racing ones. Having a mouse with more customizable buttons definitely helps as well. I can only comment for GTA IV, but I easily choose KB/M. Aiming is a lot less stiff; the most noticeable difference is when you're aiming while driving around. Thumb buttons on my G500 allow me to use the phone and fly helicopters without having to shift my right hand to the keyboard. If you find yourself missing keys because you're having to move your hands around the keyboard, a gaming mouse is a good investment.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Depends on the game.

Most of the time KB/M, but sometimes I use a gamepad, and I also have an arcade stick.

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#54 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

99% of the time I will use kb&m but I do have three gamepads (and two joysticks.) :D

My first gamepad, Gravis Gamepad Pro, is connected to my oldest PC. Works wonders with old DOS platformers like Commander Keen.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41APM6Z3RAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

My second pad, Microsoft Sidewinder, is connected to my second PC. Mostly for Rayman and occasional racing games.

http://www.selectmore.com/images/products/hires/300270.jpg

My third gamepad, Logitech Rumblepad 2, is connected to my main PC. I use it for several games, sometimes when I'm feeling extra lazy I'll just lay on my bed and use the 'pad to play.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/productImages/9/9/00000111499-LogitechRumblepad2vibrationfeedbackgamepad-large.jpeg

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#55 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

Are the logitech controllers good?

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

why no both option. i use either one depending on the game. if its game like mass effect or fallout 3 that doesnt use alot of keypad, I will use the KB & and M. but if its a game like dragon age or crysis, then i use a a controller

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Keyboard and mouse, though i would def suggest using a gamepad for a game like psychonaut
Blade8Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Blade8Aus
Member since 2006 • 1819 Posts

kb + m for most of the cases (i don't really know how a rumblepad is different from a 360 Controller)

1. Batman : AA - Mostly controller mostly because due it's simplistic combat it didn't really needed a lot of button and a controller worked fine

2. TR :U - Never Played

3. GTA IV : Kb + m - Preferred it for shooting and driving was no issue too

4. Psychonauts - played on xbox

5. ME - KB+m, many times btter

naval

let me put it this way: a 360 controller is a rumblepad.

Avatar image for oxygenis4losers
oxygenis4losers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 oxygenis4losers
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts

I'll prefer a gamepad 100% of the time with either fighters or racers. I have a grand total of one racer and zero fighters currently installed though. The only other time I might reach for my gamepad is the occasional arcade style game. I would sooner choke than switch to gamepad for shooters.

Edit - the first post mentions 3rd persons like PoP/AC. I never thought about it, I suppose I could manage with a gamepad for those, but I've never found reason to stray from the mouse for them. PoP is my favourite game series as well. To each his own, of course. It doesn't help that I've never owned a console that features gamepads so I've never had much time to get used to them.

Mr_Versipellis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#60 Mr_Versipellis
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts
Keyboard is God.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

I use both of them. Depends on the game :)

Yanduan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Yanduan
Member since 2007 • 161 Posts

Since I play most shooters, m+kb is way better

I only use controller in PES :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

I use keyboard and mouse, but I would use a gamepad for games like Batman Arkham Asylum if I had one.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#64 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I have a Xbox Controller plugged into my PC, but I use it only for Devil May Cry 4.

All other games I use keyboard/mouse.

I agree with those who said Mass Effect is better with kb/m. The Hotkeys make a huge difference in melee combat.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

Usually it depends. if I'm playing a game online against other people I use mouse/keyboard. But if I'm just playing a single player game usually I use gamepad cause I can sit somewhere else besides my uncomfortable desk chair. I can chill out on my bed with my wireless controller and relax and enjoy myself.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts
i picked up a ****** controller  and it has a bit of a learning curve to it, but with some adjustment, it works out pretty well. maybe you should give that a try, or controllers that are similar. i can say it works pretty well with third person games, cause im playing overlord and dark sector with it right now. im also playing left 4 dead 2 on it too. at first i was struggling like hell with the game, but now its coming to me naturally again.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

99% of the time I will use kb&m but I do have three gamepads (and two joysticks.) :D

My first gamepad, Gravis Gamepad Pro, is connected to my oldest PC. Works wonders with old DOS platformers like Commander Keen.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41APM6Z3RAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

HenriH-42

I bought that gamepad a long time ago too, used. Was there a reason why the D-Pad had a screw hole on it? :?

HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#68 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

I bought that gamepad a long time ago too, used. Was there a reason why the D-Pad had a screw hole on it? :?

flipin_jackass

Yes, it originally came with a little stick like the one seen on this picture

http://www.smartcomputing.com/images/smartcomputing/fullsize/393n0913.jpg

It supposedly gives you more accurate control. I've never used it myself, since I bought the pad used and it was missing the stick.

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

I use a ****** n52te along with my KB and mouse. It simplifies the movement from wsad to the D-pad.So my thumb does all the movement and I have all the other buttons programed to specific game actions, still leaving the mouse for all of its uses. Best of both worlds for me sense I've never been good at wsad.

wiimastar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 wiimastar123
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I use a joypad only 5% for gaming since i need 2 sit on a chair but i use the keyboard 99% for all games even racing like NFS undercover and platformers like rayman 2 TGE (the only platformer i have now) on an ISO XD

but still you may feel keyboards suck but they are O.K

:D

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
I play everything with keyboard except driving games, football ( soccer for US citizens) and occasionally a third person shooter ( actually even TPS games are easier to control with M+KB )
NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#72 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts

Racing games and flight sims are the only games I don't use kb/m.

BeavermanA
do the same
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#73 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34752 Posts

I use mouse/keyboard for most of my PC games. Games I'd like a gamepad for are just racing and fighting games. For the games you mentioned I use mouse/keyboard.

I might want to have used a gamepad for Batman, if I just didn't own the enemies so freaking hard with the mouse. They don't have a chance, the mouse allow me to be really fast and change to the direction I want to punch and kick with a speed that I wouldn't be able to pull off with a controller. Psychonauts is a fitting gamepad game, but I had some problems with my gamepad for this game, and the keyboard/mouse weren't bad in any way, so I just didn't bother.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Since this is for the pc we're talking about, there should be an option for all. I have a Logitech gamepad which isn't being used at the moment. I also have a Logitech driving wheel and Logitech joystick (flight sims and mech games) in addition to mouse and keyboard.

For most FPS games, keyboard and mouse of course.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]

HenriH-42

Yes, it originally came with a little stick like the one seen on this picture

http://www.smartcomputing.com/images/smartcomputing/fullsize/393n0913.jpg

It supposedly gives you more accurate control. I've never used it myself, since I bought the pad used and it was missing the stick.

I still have one of those in storage. They were popular in the early-mid 90's until MS came out with its Sidewinder Gamepad (I also have one in storage).

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts
i only prefer a pad for two genres.....platformers (whether its like mario or POP) and beat em ups.. thats it. every other single type of game i play is better played with a KB+M imho.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts
keyboard mouse. i only use gamepad for racing games
Avatar image for CrazyKilljoy117
CrazyKilljoy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#78 CrazyKilljoy117
Member since 2006 • 1073 Posts
Keyboard and Mouse definitely. Only use my X360 controller for racing games, platformers or when my GF watches me play.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#79 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

keyboard and mouse mainly, but 360 controller sometimes, sometimes even pc games have horrible mouse and keyboard controls, no matter on the quality of either the keyboard or mouse.

but mainly mouse and keyboard.

but for jrpg games, controller, racing games, controller. even a few action games.

though i have found zero shooters that are better with the controller, or rts games for that matter.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

I use keyboard and mouse mostly...I also own a momo wheel and an xbox controller and use them on some games.