Keyboard/mouse VS Gamepad...What do you use?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xipotec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 xipotec
Member since 2005 • 493 Posts

I Just got a rumblepad for Xmas. I requested it because I am finding many newer PC games have WAY to many controls for a standard keyboard/mouse combo.

I will always use key/mouse for shooters but I am starting to wonder if this gamepad thing might catch on :)

So here is my question for you.

What games do you prefer a gamepad over a keyboard/Mouse.

I would be very interested in your opinions on the following games

1. Batman Arkam Asylum

2.Tomb Raider : Underworld

3. Grad Theft Auto IV

4. Psychonaughts

5. Mass Effect

I am playing LFD2 currently and very happy with a key/mouse control.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

I play everything with a keyboard.

Arkham Asylum is absolutely fine with one (the combat isn't complex enough to need more keys), Grand Theft Auto would be kinda crappy if you couldn't aim with a mouse, Psychonauts is slightly awkward with a keyboard but still totally playable, and Mass Effect is better with a keyboard and mouse because of the extra hotkeys, commands and aiming.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

It's the PC forums so the answer is obvious.

All 5 on keyboard and mouse. I only use the gamepad for DMC 3/4, football and racing games (some, and not all the time).

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

Keyboard and mouse all the way here, I used to be a massive GTA fan even bought a console to play GTA 4 and god knows how people can play that game with a joypad. Pretty much all the games I am interested in all benefit from the keyboard and mouse control it is one of the reasons why I have stayed with the PC. The kind of games that do benefit from a joypad such as beat em ups, hack and slash games and platformers hold no interest to me whatsoever.

xipotec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 xipotec
Member since 2005 • 493 Posts

HEHE,

"Obvious" he says.....

I am an older gamer , so my reflexes are not what they used to be. Jumping from the "z" key to toggle to a new power or weapon in the number padcan be a bit of a strech (no pun intended). I am trying to figure out if I might save some sore muscles and joints with a gamepad for some of these or if the expience will be diminished by using a pad. Guess I am just an old disabled gamer! Thr programable mouse has help quite a bit, but I still find, even in some shooters, that I am not quick enough to hit all the keys required in time.

I heard in Batman that you have to do multiple key hits to do combs moves, seems like that might be a problem on a keyboard. Is that true?

LOL

Thanks!

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

I only use Keyboard and Mouse with FPS and RPG games

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
i always used keyboard+mouse for gaming. the last gamepad i used was with my old NES. but the fact is, i always want a controller for PC. there are certain games that really need a controller. im happy i finally got a pair of them.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I try to use my Rumblepad as much as I can because I want to lay back when I play. However, RTS, Sim___ games, top-down hack-and-slash RPG's and FPS are a must for K/M. Something like Batman and Tomb Raider I would likely play with a gamepad. Unfortunately, the default configuration for my Rumblepad with those games are not great from what I experienced in the demo - but probably support x360 fully. Burnout Paradise, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Dirt 2, Prototype and The Last Remnant are the games from my recent memory that have great support, so I play those with a Gamepad.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

kb + m for most of the cases (i don't really know how a rumblepad is different from a 360 Controller)

1. Batman : AA - Mostly controller mostly because due it's simplistic combat it didn't really needed a lot of button and a controller worked fine

2. TR :U - Never Played

3. GTA IV : Kb + m - Preferred it for shooting and driving was no issue too

4. Psychonauts - played on xbox

5. ME - KB+m, many times btter

BeavermanA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BeavermanA
Member since 2003 • 2652 Posts

Racing games and flight sims are the only games I don't use kb/m.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
I occasionally get the itch to play on the gamepad, and I'm glad when it's an option. But if a game involves precise shooting I almost always use KB/M, even for something like RE5 that feels like a console game, it's just more natural and accurate to aim with a mouse. GTA4 I switched between KB/M and gamepad (the controls suck on both tbh). Psychonauts on pad. Mass Effect on KB/M.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
Keyboard and mouse. I don't own a gamepad for my PC and haven't since the 1990's lol.
Lithos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Lithos_
Member since 2008 • 1017 Posts

I always use the same control settings (the same keys for the same functons) in my keyboad, so I don't even need to glance at it while playing (which would be an immersion-breaker). Even needed to use THIS to be able to play Dead Space (a-ma-zing game, one of the best ever), since it didn't allow me to use my setting.

I never tried, but I doubt I'll get used to a gamepad.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Keyboard.

Controllers make my hands feel muddy and sleepy.

gubrushadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gubrushadow
Member since 2009 • 2735 Posts

i always used keyboard+mouse for gaming. the last gamepad i used was with my old NES. but the fact is, i always want a controller for PC. there are certain games that really need a controller. im happy i finally got a pair of them.GazaAli
@ GazaAli : awwww man , im so sorry they gonna put a metal gate and flow your tunnels with water , be brave ! oh and yeah i use a keyboard\mouse , and pal they say they gonna get us this year , you should relax this year i think , and oh here we will not be on defence , less on offence , but the funny part is that , lol they couldnt defeat us in 2006 , not you in 2008 , lol they saying they want to go into syrian and iran together , funny :P

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GazaAli
the fact is im new to gamepads. i reinstalled price of persia the two thrones a moment ago. i found out that it supports a gamepad. so i said" lets try it with a gamepad". lol it felt so weird. may be because im new to gamepads. but during installation it said" this game is best played with an analog gamepad". the truth is i dont know, may be because im not used to them.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
i use controllers for racing games or something like virtua tennis.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GazaAli
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]i always used keyboard+mouse for gaming. the last gamepad i used was with my old NES. but the fact is, i always want a controller for PC. there are certain games that really need a controller. im happy i finally got a pair of them.gubrushadow
awwww man , im so sorry they gonna put a metal gate and flow your tunnels with water , be brave ! oh and yeah i use a keyboard\mouse , and pal they say they gonna get us this year , you should relax this year i think , and oh here we will not be on defence , less on offence , but the funny part is that , lol they couldnt defeat us in 2006 , not you in 2008 , lol they saying they want to go into syrian and iran together , funny :P

yea lol im glad i already upgraded and didnt wait until i finish the semester. the prices got crazy for lack of smuggled stuff.
gubrushadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gubrushadow
[QUOTE="gubrushadow"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]i always used keyboard+mouse for gaming. the last gamepad i used was with my old NES. but the fact is, i always want a controller for PC. there are certain games that really need a controller. im happy i finally got a pair of them.GazaAli
awwww man , im so sorry they gonna put a metal gate and flow your tunnels with water , be brave ! oh and yeah i use a keyboard\mouse , and pal they say they gonna get us this year , you should relax this year i think , and oh here we will not be on defence , less on offence , but the funny part is that , lol they couldnt defeat us in 2006 , not you in 2008 , lol they saying they want to go into syrian and iran together , funny :P

yea lol im glad i already upgraded and didnt wait until i finish the semester. the prices got crazy for lack of smuggled stuff.

you know i respect you very much ! i mean , people in gaza must be really despret and sad and these stuff , and you come here talking about games , you are awsom man :D
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GazaAli
[QUOTE="gubrushadow"][QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="gubrushadow"] awwww man , im so sorry they gonna put a metal gate and flow your tunnels with water , be brave ! oh and yeah i use a keyboard\mouse , and pal they say they gonna get us this year , you should relax this year i think , and oh here we will not be on defence , less on offence , but the funny part is that , lol they couldnt defeat us in 2006 , not you in 2008 , lol they saying they want to go into syrian and iran together , funny :P

you know i respect you very much ! i mean , people in gaza must be really despret and sad and these stuff , and you come here talking about games , you are awsom man :D

lol yea try not to follow the trend around here.
crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="gubrushadow"] awwww man , im so sorry they gonna put a metal gate and flow your tunnels with water , be brave ! oh and yeah i use a keyboard\mouse , and pal they say they gonna get us this year , you should relax this year i think , and oh here we will not be on defence , less on offence , but the funny part is that , lol they couldnt defeat us in 2006 , not you in 2008 , lol they saying they want to go into syrian and iran together , funny :Pgubrushadow

He certainly deserves props. :) Has my respect too from having to have to deal with all that, yet you wouldnt even know.

gubrushadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gubrushadow

[QUOTE="gubrushadow"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] yea lol im glad i already upgraded and didnt wait until i finish the semester. the prices got crazy for lack of smuggled stuff.crazymonkey092

He certainly deserves props. :) Has my respect too from having to have to deal with all that, yet you wouldnt even know.

@ crazymonkey092 : errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... what ?? is that an offense or a defense ?? is you mean the sadness and despret , dont worry , im from south lebanon , so basicly i think you know what i mean , my home was destroyed :(

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GazaAli

[QUOTE="gubrushadow"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] yea lol im glad i already upgraded and didnt wait until i finish the semester. the prices got crazy for lack of smuggled stuff.crazymonkey092

i feel flattered :P
crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts

[QUOTE="crazymonkey092"]

[QUOTE="gubrushadow"] you know i respect you very much ! i mean , people in gaza must be really despret and sad and these stuff , and you come here talking about games , you are awsom man :Dgubrushadow

@ crazymonkey092 : errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... what ?? is that an offense or a defense ?? is you mean the sadness and despret , dont worry , im from south lebanon , so basicly i think you know what i mean , my home was destroyed :(

Well, I just meant in general. I live in the united states, so I'm pretty spoiled compared to others. I wouldnt know much about the hardship of having my home destroyed, or wars going on around me. Therefore, even you get props(respect, recognition) for having to deal with all that. Anyone that can go through those hardships and survive mentally deserves respect and recognition for it. Also, didnt mean to derail the thread. But I use kb/m for most of my games, except for like some arcade, racing and some 3rd person shooters.
ForsakenPT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ForsakenPT
Member since 2009 • 193 Posts

Keyboard/Mouse all the time

Only use my gamepad to play PES 2010 :D

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GazaAli
[QUOTE="gubrushadow"]

[QUOTE="crazymonkey092"]

crazymonkey092

Well, I just meant in general. I live in the united states, so I'm pretty spoiled compared to others. I wouldnt know much about the hardship of having my home destroyed, or wars going on around me. Therefore, even you get props(respect, recognition) for having to deal with all that. Anyone that can go through those hardships and survive mentally deserves respect and recognition for it. Also, didnt mean to derail the thread. But I use kb/m for most of my games, except for like some arcade, racing and some 3rd person shooters.

i liked the "survive mentally" part of your post. people here degraded to a shameful level, its really embarrassing.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
i played with a KB+M for all those games and they worked fine.
Frenzyd109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 Frenzyd109
Member since 2007 • 2276 Posts
The only games I use a keyboard and mouse for are shooters. My hands are more relaxed with a controller. Racing games, and third person games like batman feel better IMO with a controller, though totally playable with a Keyboard+mouse
BluePaw-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BluePaw-
Member since 2009 • 184 Posts
Mostly, keyboard & mouse. I only use a gamepad when i'm playing Street Fighter IV or Dirt 2.
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
I don't have a gamepad, therefore, I only use Keyboard and mouse, and that's the reason why I can't win a single game in NBA 2K9...
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

racing games and platformers......also games like devil may cry are the only games that i use a gamepad on. everything else is kb/m

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DanielDust

HEHE,

"Obvious" he says.....

I am an older gamer , so my reflexes are not what they used to be. Jumping from the "z" key to toggle to a new power or weapon in the number padcan be a bit of a strech (no pun intended). I am trying to figure out if I might save some sore muscles and joints with a gamepad for some of these or if the expience will be diminished by using a pad. Guess I am just an old disabled gamer! Thr programable mouse has help quite a bit, but I still find, even in some shooters, that I am not quick enough to hit all the keys required in time.

I heard in Batman that you have to do multiple key hits to do combs moves, seems like that might be a problem on a keyboard. Is that true?

LOL

Thanks!

xipotec
Nah, Batman is extremely simple, the only thing that would be considered "complex" would be the sequencer parts, but those are not really complex, they're more like frustrating. You could always set the keys how you like it more, or in a way that makes your life easier :P. The question here is if you can make the most out of your keyboard and the game settings, or have all, easily in your reach but deal with a lot of frustration (most games that are not platformers).
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#33 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Still using the old keyboard and mouse. Not really sure in paying $20 for something I wont end up not being happy with.
Gamartto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gamartto
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

I Just got a rumblepad for Xmas. I requested it because I am finding many newer PC games have WAY to many controls for a standard keyboard/mouse combo.

I will always use key/mouse for shooters but I am starting to wonder if this gamepad thing might catch on :)

So here is my question for you.

What games do you prefer a gamepad over a keyboard/Mouse.

I would be very interested in your opinions on the following games

1. Batman Arkam Asylum

2.Tomb Raider : Underworld

3. Grad Theft Auto IV

4. Psychonaughts

5. Mass Effect

I am playing LFD2 currently and very happy with a key/mouse control.

xipotec

1. Controller.

2. Most likely controller.

3. Keyboard/Mouse (for everything).

4. Keyboard/Mouse.

5. Keyboard/Mouse (the UI was tweaked for KB/M).

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
1 - Controller 2 - Controller 3 - Controller 4 - Controller 5 - Mouse / Keyboard I don't understand why people have this "must use a mouse and keyboard" thing. Some games just plain suck using M+K.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DanielDust

Maybe the same reason as the people that play some games with a controller which for "them" makes the game better and then claim it as a pure undeniable fact.

There is no game among those except Psychonauts that would be "better" on a controller. They work perfectly fine and they're just as enjoyable, the only thing that makes a difference is the thing that you prefer most for that certain game, in your case a controller.

Stratacoustix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Stratacoustix
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

Really depends on the game.

I use 360 controllers/guitars/drums for platformers and third person shooters, sports and racing games etc. We play most of the "casual" or ported console games on our media center and chill out in the living room. I find it much more relaxing then piling up my kids and wife at my pc "throne" as they call it.

I prefer to be on my pc though for FPS, RTS and RPG games, I like the extra keys and speed of the mouse vs a controller for them.

The only time I really use my k/m for 3rd person games is when I'm online, contoller just won't cut it there but offline the comfortability of the HD TV and couch win. Thats why we built a second gaming rig as a media center rather then buy a console. Most of the parts came from my previous gaming pc and was more cost effective and more customizable.

So in short I guess the answer is BOTH. Some games work well if not better with a controller, and some do not but it's a personal preference and feel. Also depends a little on if you are single living in a dorm or barracks or have a family you game with too I suppose.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

I don't understand why people have this "must use a mouse and keyboard" thing. Some games just plain suck using M+K.CellAnimation
But many PC games DO require a Mouse and Keyboard - or at least it would be a lot more convenient with them. RTS games would be very difficult to play with, say, controller thumbstick to select the units. Also, the mouse cursor is sometimes required to navigate through menus or to drag and drop items. I've tried a few times to replace the mouse with thumbstick movement via xpadder, but it's just really annoying. In addition, a controller might not have enough buttons to have all functions of the games assigned. For example, when I tried to assign The Witcher's controls to my Rumblepad, I had to give up a few functions because there wasn't enough buttons.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
But many PC games DO require a Mouse and Keyboardflipin_jackass
Yep and I'd use a M+K combo for them. Why do people think they have to pick 1 or the other? Some games just plain work better one way or the other. :)
Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 Yoshi25
Member since 2004 • 4488 Posts

I play all of my games with a mouse and keyboard except for Assassin's Creed, GTA:SA, NBA 2K10 and Burnout Paradise. I could play AC and GTA just fine with a mouse and keyboard, but I suffer less fatigue while using a gamepad and prefer a little more for those games.

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

I'm finding myself using the gamepad more these days, but that's because i'm buying more games that feel more comfortable on them.

I only play 3rd person platformers etc on gamepads, things like POP or AC. I did try and use my gamepad on BM:AA but it only supports the xbox 360 controller so i made do with the keyboard and mouse and it was alot better than i expected. Also use it for street fighter 4 and burnout, but apart from those and similar games keyboard and mouse for everything else really.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I use keyboard/mouse on 95% of games. I use a wheel on racers and gamepads on sports games.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

I play 99% of the time on KB/M. I never use a controller, but I will use my Novint Falcon every now and then.

artistry_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 artistry_
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

I'm always surpised by the versatility of a keyboard and mouse .. so simple and elegant .. intensely intuitive .. the perfect interface device.

The consoles on the other hand has always appeared to me as a crippled system because of its barbaric interface unit .. ie. gamepad .. early nintendo was simple and adequate, later ps2 and on however .. just dang fangled.

Anyway I absolutely, without doubt, could not ever use a gamepad to interface with my games .. if a game expressly requires said use of such a device I opt to not play said game in its stead. Thankfully that is usally just sports and racing games which I happily abhor and avoid at all turns.

I also don't begrudge anyone who likes to game differently .. I'm just happy that other gamers are happy and having fun ;)

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#46 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Mouse and keyboard are one of the primary reasons I prefer PC gaming over the consoles. Surely everybody knows touch-typing by this decade?
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Who ever uses a Gampad for any online games must love getting roflstomped..
RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#48 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

Depends on what game. I'm playing Dead Space right now and i'd rather use my 360 controller. I also play modern warfare 2 and i couldn't imagine using my 360 controller to play that despite having it on 360 also. For all those game you posted i'd rather use a 360 controller.

rben21232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rben21232
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

Keyboard and mouse are the way to go..got me a G9 laser gaming mouse and a G15 keyboard lol, all logitech products.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Kb/M for most games, however, there are some games that play alot better on a 360 controller.