Just got a new computer, a bunch of video card problems..

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 supagamer9
Member since 2004 • 1650 Posts

So I just got a new computer today and im having a few issues with my video card, ill list em off. (its a Radeon HD 6670)

I ran the CD that came with computer and it said everything was fine, but when i try to open catalyst it says "There are currently no settins that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center"

Also when I try to start something such as solitare it says "Hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported by your video card driver which could slow down game performance. Make sure you have the latest card driver installed and that hardware acceleration is turned on" I went to this link http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx and downloaded both the things on the list which appear to be the latest drivers to the video card, still nothing.

Also when I go to Device manager I dont see the video card anywhere.

please help

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Don't use the CD that came with the PC.

Download that card's video driver package from the ATI website.

See how you go.

(uninstall anything related to ATI first, reboot)

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 supagamer9
where do i go to get specific drivers for my video card?
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

where do i go to get specific drivers for my video card?supagamer9
amd.com, it says 'Find a Driver' then there's a drop down menu, select the correct stuff.

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 supagamer9
So do i just get the Catalyst Software Suite? I dont see any video card specific stuff
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="supagamer9"]where do i go to get specific drivers for my video card?Inconsistancy

amd.com, it says 'Find a Driver' then there's a drop down menu, select the correct stuff.

and make sure you select your correct operating system and the correct 32bit or 64bit...
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 supagamer9
I did.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts
So do i just get the Catalyst Software Suite? I dont see any video card specific stuffsupagamer9
Yes, just that, it has everything in it.
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 supagamer9
okay so i did that, and it had no effect at all
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 supagamer9
the video card also doesnt show up on dxdiag
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 supagamer9
should i try taking the video card out and putting it back in?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
I think you are downloading the wrong driver then.... or you believe it's the 6670 and it might not be. Is it a brand new install of Windows?
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 supagamer9
its the 6670, im sure. and im downloading the right one, im like 90% sure windows was installed when i got the computer. Should i try taking the video card out and putting it back in?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="supagamer9"]its the 6670, im sure. and im downloading the right one, im like 90% sure windows was installed when i got the computer. Should i try taking the video card out and putting it back in?

Yes, that's an idea. Another would be to System Restore back to the beginning...
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 supagamer9
the fan is running and everything.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

....you're not using an integrated GPU instead or anything like that right? The monitor is plugged into the card itself and not the motherboard? I wouldn't think the ATI driver installation program would even finish installing if it couldn't find your card.

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 supagamer9
yeah major rookie move there.... and quite embarassing... my monitor is plugged in to the mother board, but when i plug it into the video card it says theres nothing detected
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 supagamer9
do I use the blue chord or the tan chord? or both?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
yeah major rookie move there.... and quite embarassing... my monitor is plugged in to the mother board, but when i plug it into the video card it says theres nothing detectedsupagamer9
Ok, we have moved on there. Tried turning off and then restarting? (from the video card)
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
do I use the blue chord or the tan chord? or both?supagamer9
Just the DVI Cord White http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/bLink7o2/100_1066.jpg
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 supagamer9
should i restart the computer?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside
should i restart the computer?supagamer9
Yes
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 supagamer9
so i tried turning on the computer with the white chord plugged into the video card and it said no signal.
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 supagamer9
so i shouldnt be using the blue cable at all correct?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
so i tried turning on the computer with the white chord plugged into the video card and it said no signal. supagamer9
ONLY the white cord? Make sure the white cord is correctly installed on both the video card and monitor... remove the blue cord completely. Does the video card have 2 slots? Sorry for stupid question...
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 supagamer9
okay, im using only the white chord, the blue chord is put away, my video card has a blue chord thing a white chord thing and an HDMI port
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside
okay, im using only the white chord, the blue chord is put away, my video card has a blue chord thing a white chord thing and an HDMI portsupagamer9
Connection using the cord with white plugs should be: Monitor: cord connected to white plug on monitor Video Card: cord connected to white plug on video card TURN OFF machine... turn machine back on. If it STILL says NO SIGNAL, try to see if ur monitor has buttons to change INPUT MODES
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

okay, im using only the white chord, the blue chord is put away, my video card has a blue chord thing a white chord thing and an HDMI portsupagamer9

What do you mean by white and blue cords? You mean sockets in the back of the card or?

Also, make sure that you've connected the card to the internal power supply. (example)

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
You might not have the card seated into the motherboard well enough. Check to make sure it's installed correctly, then check your manual to make sure you have the power supply connected to the video card correctly. Leave the side of your case off and turn the computer on. Get a flashlight and look at the fan on the video card to make sure it's spinning. If it is spinning, it's probably just a problem with the driver you installed so uninstall it and try again. If it's not spinning, either your cable to the power supply isn't good, the power supply isn't good, the video card isn't good, or the motherboard isn't good.
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 supagamer9
My video card doesnt have any extra power plugins, and the fan is spinning. My white monitor isnt detecting my video card for some reason so I cant plug my cable in to the video card and I have to plug it into the motherboard, which leads us to my current problem. Felipe, my monitor has input modes but it just switches between the blue cable and the white I believe
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="supagamer9"]My video card doesnt have any extra power plugins, and the fan is spinning. My white monitor isnt detecting my video card for some reason so I cant plug my cable in to the video card and I have to plug it into the motherboard, which leads us to my current problem. Felipe, my monitor has input modes but it just switches between the blue cable and the white I believe

You HAVE to plug the cable into the video card. If you plug it into the motherboard it will use the onboard video card. Try something different: remove ALL cables and just use the blue plug cable from the monitor to the blue plug on your video card. Post Photos so we can help further. (I'm leaving soon for soccer training but I can check the forum later on when I get back)
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

My video card doesnt have any extra power plugins, and the fan is spinning. My white monitor isnt detecting my video card for some reason so I cant plug my cable in to the video card and I have to plug it into the motherboard, which leads us to my current problem. Felipe, my monitor has input modes but it just switches between the blue cable and the white I believesupagamer9

You may want to go into your bios and turn off your built-in videocard settings.

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 supagamer9
yeah but if i plug it into the monitor i cant see. okay so now i have the blue chord plugged into the video card and the white one plugged and its going well so far, will it register the video card then?
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 supagamer9
hmmm so now i can see the catalyst control center but it still says theres no video card when i try to play like solitare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Assuming you are using Windows 7, open up the start menu and type in device manager. When you see device manager in your list, click on it to open it up. Expand the Display Adapter item from that list and tell us what you have listed there.

If there are any items on that list with an error symbol, also tell us what those are.

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 supagamer9
the only thing it says is standard VGA graphics adapter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
And there's no items with little yellow error symbols? Then the computer isn't able to see that your video card is plugged in. Go ahead and turn the computer off and make sure the video card is really seated tightly. If you have another available pci-e port, move the video card and plug it in there instead. You could also check the BIOS' integrated peripherals setting to make sure the pci-e ports aren't disabled. I really doubt that will be the case. If you check all of those, and are sure that the video card is seated correctly and has whatever power cords plugged into it that it needs and it still don't work, you need to send either that card or the motherboard back with an RMA and get a replacement because it's probably not functional. If you had another pci-e card around you could test the motherboard with, you can find out which one is faulty. If you don't, just send the video card back.
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 supagamer9
oh my god its like every damn problem that i can have happens to me, its so ******** ridiculous why cant they just send products that work!!!!
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 supagamer9
oh my god its like every damn problem that i can have happens to me, its so ******** ridiculous why cant they just send products that work!!!!
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jedinat

Hey things have come a long way... I built my new rig a couple weeks ago (it had been like 7-8 years since the last one, lol). When I first booted up a message came up telling me that I needed to plug the power connector into my video card. I LOLed pretty hard...

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 supagamer9
So i really have to send this thing back??
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jedinat

So i really have to send this thing back??supagamer9

I don't know. You don't ahve another PC to try out the vid card in?

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 supagamer9
no i just bought my first computer, and it came in the mail today.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jedinat

no i just bought my first computer, and it came in the mail today.supagamer9
It's kind of hard to remotely direct people what to look for/what to do... kinda like how you might tell someone driving a car for the first time to turn the key and then switch gears, and they go "It won't let me switch gears." and you might go back and forth for a couple minutes trying to figure out what is wrong, and only then realize you have to tell them to hold down the brake pedal while changing gears. It's not something people who drive all the time even think about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
no i just bought my first computer, and it came in the mail today.supagamer9
Well, it sucks but happens sometimes. Was this a complete computer that someone else built? If so, make sure you complain to them sufficiently. Sending a computer without a working video would be ridiculous.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="supagamer9"]yeah but if i plug it into the monitor i cant see. okay so now i have the blue chord plugged into the video card and the white one plugged and its going well so far, will it register the video card then?

No, just plug in the Blue Plug Cord....completely remove the white one for now...
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#47 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Your video card should look similar to this one (above). Now, depending on how old your monitor is will determin what video adaptor it uses. Flat screen monitors pretty much utilize DVI (white connector). That is the one you want to use, unless the monitor you have has the blue (VGA) connector; then use that one.

Next, since your motherboard supports onboard video, you may have to disable it in the BIOS so your computer stops trying to use it - it shouldn't be necessary, but sometimes these things happen.

To access BIOS, when you turn your computer on you probably have to hit the "Delete" key or if the computer lists a specific key for setup - my computer I use the F2 key. On my old motherboard I used the Delete key. Once you get into the BIOS, you need to find an option for the onboard video and disable it (see image, NOTE: the image most likely does not reflect your version of BIOS, it's just a guide to give you an idea of what to look for)

You also may need to verfiy you have downloaded the correct video driver for your video card. If you have, then you might want to uninstall the current driver and then reinstall it to see if that also helps with your situation.

If all else fails you have a couple options:

1) Return to sender, have them make sure it works and send it back - make note that you would most likely have to pay shipping to get the computer to and from the location you got it from

2) find a local computer shop that can trouble shoot your problem - Do note, you will have to pay out of pocket for this.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

neatfeatguy

Or ask a friend to come by and check it for you. Liek someone else said. its very hard to explain to a person how to do things. Whenever a friend ask me i have to go over and check there myself as they might simply have missed something easy. Maybe you could take a photo of how it look inside of your computer around the graphic card and show us. And how you have connected the cables. Also make sure the "secure" pin is holding the graphic card (or else it might not be connected).

supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 supagamer9
I have no idea how to acces this BIOS thing, i tried pressing delete throughout thewhole startup process and nothing happened
supagamer9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 supagamer9
and I have these drivers installed http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx