Is Vista the Spawn of Satan?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
All I hear is bad things about Vista. Stabilitiy Issues, Driver issues, Installation issues, etc. But is it really as bad as it's made out to be. Like I know many other things that get a bad rap and aren't NEARLY as bad as they are made out to be.....the minute issues are blown way outta proportion.
Avatar image for Rockin_MixMasta
Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rockin_MixMasta
Member since 2004 • 3427 Posts

I know from experience that the comments I have seen have not been 'blown out of proportion'. But I see how it could easily seem that way.

We are lead to believe that Microsoft can't screw up. But the O/S department is basically a monopoly right now. Most people are afraid of Linux due to the fact that you actually need to 'try' when it comes to getting things to run correctly.

Microsoft could make Windows XP 2 and people would buy it. Even if it included nothing more than an updated version of the 'bliss' wallpaper.

Vista is ANYTHING but a gaming O/S. Which annoys many people, especially on digg, because of the fact that Microsoft has pushed the concept of an O/S for gamers for so long. Vista has proven to gamers that XP is the real gaming O/S.

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
If that's all your hearing about Vista, you're looking in the wrong places :|    Vista is better than XP in almost every possible way.... I haven't had any issues with it at all.   Most of the people who talk about how *bad* it is are simply refering to their beta experience or haven't even tried it at all.   
Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rockin_MixMasta

I still have my copy of Ultimate just sitting right next to my monitor. It is trash solely on how much of it is useless. They packed it full of stuff that no one needs, and all it does is weaken the experience. Hell, I own a validated/pirated copy of it, so I do nothing but feel bad for anyone who was stupid enough to pay for the thing.

And don't tell me it's my copy of windows that is screwy. It's 100% fine. It's the O/S that is broken ;) 

Avatar image for Crunchy_Pickles
Crunchy_Pickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Crunchy_Pickles
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts
Pretty much. Vista, as of now, is about on par with XP SP2, and as I've said oh so many times, that's incredible for a Microsoft OS so close to launch. Vista is running wonderfully on my machine, better than XP did, in fact. I've had almost no errors (I had one compatibility issue that was solved by running the program with administrator permissions), and it runs smoothly, with no loss in performance with any game. I'd highly advise you try it before listening to anyone else complain about it, especially on this site.
MacEb3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 MacEb3
Member since 2003 • 30 Posts
Vista is alright.  Needs some updating.  Some games don't work on it that does piss me off a bit.  XP is still better at the moment cause it's a lot more stable in all departments.  Give Vista some time and it will be just as stable.  Same thing happened with XP in the beginning.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

If that's all your hearing about Vista, you're looking in the wrong places :| Vista is better than XP in almost every possible way.... I haven't had any issues with it at all. Most of the people who talk about how *bad* it is are simply refering to their beta experience or haven't even tried it at all. SuperBeast

Wrong 

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

you should hold out for dx10 games to come out, and windows Live to be fully operational, which is when vista will truly shine.

plus isn't it widely known to give Microsoft a couple months (or much more) with every new OS, until they patch the hell out of it?

BTW its been a while that its been uncovered that they have yet another new OS planned for 2009-2010 

proteKYFM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 proteKYFM
Member since 2007 • 272 Posts
Vista is an absolute mess right now but it has the potential to be pretty good in maybe a year from now if they fix it up.
TheUberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheUberKnight
Member since 2007 • 847 Posts
Some advice needed, if I'm to get a gaming rig in the next few months, do I stick with XP for now since its more stable? I could always just upgrade later on. Or, should I just go out and get a Vista machine? I figure by then, it will be more stable.
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts
Vista sucks and is uneeded.  Xp would have been fine with another sevice pack until the real next OS comes out, Vienna.
hoket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hoket
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts

i used vista for a few months, but lost it due to a bad harddrive, and decided to stick with XP. i had very few problems with vista, at first it was a little hard to get familiar with everything, and it was a pain in the ass getting video drivers for my 8800GTS, and a few of my WoW addons didnt work for some unknown reason. other than that i had no problems with vista, i just decided to stick with XP because its what i know best, and there are no dx10 games out yet.

Oolark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Oolark
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts
I've used Vista and it falls under the "Just another another OS" category. There isn't much that sets it apart from XP. Only buy Vista when DX10 starts becoming a bit more mainstream...or if you really need a semi-translucent desktop theme. As for stability issues, my experience with it was as smooth as any other windows OS...but since I don't actually own a copy for myself I haven't been able to put it through its paces.
Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rockin_MixMasta
I still occasionally look at the Vista Team Blog, just to see whats going on. But for the time being Vista is just that 'O/S that sits on the 2nd hard-drive'. When a SP comes out I may switch over and check it out, but Im fine with XP for now.
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

I've used Vista and it falls under the "Just another another OS" category. There isn't much that sets it apart from XP. Only buy Vista when DX10 starts becoming a bit more mainstream...or if you really need a semi-translucent desktop theme. As for stability issues, my experience with it was as smooth as any other windows OS...but since I don't actually own a copy for myself I haven't been able to put it through its paces.Oolark

Yeah and the first thing I do is turn that "semi-translucent desktop" crap off.  Here is my Vista Desktop on dual boot, that I never use, ever -

Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rockin_MixMasta
Hehe. I turned everything on, including that screwy animated wallpaper thing. The last thing I will use Vista for is games, luckily all that visual crap doesn't mess with my IE or WMP ;)
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
i couldnt stop laughing when i saw the title
TheUberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheUberKnight

I guess I'll go with XP for now since I'm used to it and its more stable. Once more DX10 games come out, I'm sure it'll be a painless upgrade to Vista at that point.

Will BioShock be a DX10 game?

Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rockin_MixMasta

Nothing is actually a DX10 game. To my understanding all of them support DX9, but I could be wrong. I believe we won't see strictly DX10 games for awhile.

Unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to play Halo 2.  It's going to be GOTY /cough

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
I find it funny how everyone keeps talking about how great XP is...How quickly you people forget.    XP had a HORRIBLE launch, at least 10X worse than Vista.   It was *really* broken...   Everyone kept saying "OMFG XP sucks ass, stick with 2000 or 98"...  Possibly you same people.     
TheUberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheUberKnight

This is so confusing. lol I dont know what to doooooooo. :( I hate getting mixed feedback. :p

vicsrealms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vicsrealms
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts
I'm sure it will be a great OS in a year or so, after the SP1 comes out for it and developers have enough time to create drivers for it.  The only OS I purchased after its first release was my upgrade from ME to XP Pro.  Which was a huge change in stability and resource control.  XP is still such a great OS that in most cases there isn't a single reason to upgrade to Vista.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

If that's all your hearing about Vista, you're looking in the wrong places :| Vista is better than XP in almost every possible way.... I haven't had any issues with it at all. Most of the people who talk about how *bad* it is are simply refering to their beta experience or haven't even tried it at all. SuperBeast

Vista runs worse than XP in every possible way when it comes to gaming. Maybe you have an ATI card, as their drivers have been at least close to giving XP like gaming performance, but anyone who has an nvidia card gets horrid performance compared to xp. Even with an ATI card the performance on vista still doesn't stack up to xp's. The OS is just a major system hog and really needs a SP before it can even be considered better than xp performance wise.  

Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rockin_MixMasta

Cancel or Allow?

I agree that Vista needs time, everything does. It's just that people are alot less excited for a Vista fix than they were for an XP fix.

TheUberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheUberKnight
Thats good to know since I am going with Nvidia.
Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rockin_MixMasta

Thats good to know since I am going with Nvidia.TheUberKnight

You dug your own grave. 

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

[QUOTE="TheUberKnight"]Thats good to know since I am going with Nvidia.Rockin_MixMasta

You dug your own grave.

I think he's talking about my post, since I said Nvidia cards perform horribly with vista.  

TheUberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheUberKnight

[QUOTE="TheUberKnight"]Thats good to know since I am going with Nvidia.Rockin_MixMasta

You dug your own grave. 

lol whats wrong with nvidia? I have them now and I've never had any problems.

Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rockin_MixMasta
I'm not going to get into the discussion of what is wrong with nVidia. I'de hate to be suspended for 'spamming' ;)
TheUberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheUberKnight
Well can you give me a G-rated comparison between the two? :P
Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rockin_MixMasta

ATI = Monkey

nVidia = Stuff Monkey throws 

TheUberKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheUberKnight
LOL that works. I've actually heard more positive things about ATI than Nvidia. I honestly need to do more research on ATI cards.
Samulies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Samulies
Member since 2005 • 1658 Posts
Some games run better on XP, such as Supreme Commander.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
ALL games and applications runs much much better on XP. Just by scrolling and watching a user uploaded video here on GS makes the sound crackle because Vista is struggling to keep up... It's a complete waste of money if you use your PC for gaming. If you don't game, you should get a Mac instead.
gamerjerome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gamerjerome
Member since 2006 • 437 Posts

Ive held back from saying anything about the system because I didn't try it yet. Well today I went to bestbuy to pickup a movie or two and strolled into the PC department. Most of the PCs were running Vista. I went to first computer and the mouse didn't work.. "not surprised" then to the second, it worked. Played around with if for a little bit and noticed everything was slow to react. I looked at the spec sheet. 2.4 Core 2, 2GB Ram and so on. 2GB? It sure didn't act like it. So I brought up the task list, just the regular system stuff running. Vista in general as is suppose to be is "wow, cool, I must have it because its such a better upgrade" to bad its not. I went to a few other computer to see if it was just that one, nope same thing. So I have no interest in Vista.

dgsinc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 dgsinc
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
My opinion of Vista is that it's a hit or miss experence depending on the computer and software you run. Vista is improved over XP,  but people will have problems with certain (older in particular) hardware. Some software runs fine, some software will have issues. Because of this you will have some people who hate it because they need to replace half the hardware in their computer, half their software woun't run, or their apps crash. On the other hand for some people it may run great. One thing is for sure. Although Vista has a nicer UI and somewhat better security as a whole games will run slower. This was all true about Windows 98/ME (and even 2000) vs Windows XP when it came out.
Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

My opinion of Vista is that it's a hit or miss experence depending on the computer and software you run. Vista is improved over XP,  but people will have problems with certain (older in particular) hardware. Some software runs fine, some software will have issues. Because of this you will have some people who hate it because they need to replace half the hardware in their computer, half their software woun't run, or their apps crash. On the other hand for some people it may run great. One thing is for sure. Although Vista has a nicer UI and somewhat better security as a whole games will run slower. This was all true about Windows 98/ME (and even 2000) vs Windows XP when it came out.dgsinc

From all i've read that does seem to be the case. The people complaining are the ones that installed Vista with their existing hardware.

About to get new computer with Vista premium 32bit with all the lastest hardware and will be assembled and installed for me by pros so hoping I won't regret Vista.

llakallaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 llakallaka
Member since 2006 • 1230 Posts

vista requires too much .....evrything for itself.....doesn't leave a slice of ram...or anything else....for gaming....i choose XP....and i won't change it....

mobius1aic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mobius1aic
Member since 2006 • 3533 Posts

Some advice needed, if I'm to get a gaming rig in the next few months, do I stick with XP for now since its more stable? I could always just upgrade later on. Or, should I just go out and get a Vista machine? I figure by then, it will be more stable.TheUberKnight

To be honest, if you can afford it, get a copy of both. 

General_Gustaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 General_Gustaf
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts

For me, Vista run's smoothly. Most games are fine, but I was silly to think that 1GB of RAM would lete me play SupCom 81x81 smoothly at the end of the match.

Having An ATi card, The drivers are fine, no compatibility issues. I just can't wait to see my friend get a brand new Nvidia card, and phail because of drivers.  

MondoCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MondoCool
Member since 2007 • 866 Posts

I still have my copy of Ultimate just sitting right next to my monitor. It is trash solely on how much of it is useless. They packed it full of stuff that no one needs, and all it does is weaken the experience. Hell, I own a validated/pirated copy of it, so I do nothing but feel bad for anyone who was stupid enough to pay for the thing.

And don't tell me it's my copy of windows that is screwy. It's 100% fine. It's the O/S that is broken ;) 

Rockin_MixMasta

Thats not allowed here lol I don't care but you might.. 

Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts
Morrowind and maple story dont work on it....(I dont really care about maple story but the other one I liked)..But otherwise its a fairly solid OS
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
I lol'd at the topic title :lol:. But no, Vista is, as every other Windows OS, just not worth it before the first SP.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

I have Vista on my laptop, but do I really need it? No, not really...... but it's kinda nice to have the experience.

I'd say, stick with XP for now, Vista is no use until later in a year or two or even longer, who knows? 

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Vista's problems are way over-blown.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit and have not had a single problem!!! Everything I've loaded has run fine, probably installed around 20 games now, they've all worked (even an oldie like System Shock 2).

My 3DMark scores with Vista are a little less than with XP, but I remember the exact same thing when moving from Windows 98 to XP.

If you do encounter issues with Vista, there are some work arounds --- run in administrator mode, set your processor affinity if you're using a multi-core processor, etc.

It's not that bad at all!!!

However, laptops and Vista at this point are a different story, some issues there , if you aren't using a laptop though, then you don't need to worry about it ;) 

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BounceDK
The sound in Vista is horrible too. It sounds like an old clock radio or something... And it runs in software mode which totally sucks because it puts a drag on your cpu - And the cpu is busy enough with the 40+ processes running in Vista. So far it's Windows ME v2...
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

I don't know bro, you might have something wrong with your audio.

I haven't noticed any issues, it sounds great! They improved the audio subsystem.

"Better audio fidelity? Check. Moving primarily to User Mode actually resulted in an increase in performance over the existing Kernel Mode audio stack, because there were far fewer transitions between User Mode applications and processes and Kernel Mode drivers. Microsoft spent some of that gained performance to improve audio fidelity, primarily by transitioning the audio stack from being based on 16-bit integer operations to 32-bit floating point." - extremetech.com

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BounceDK
I'm using Audigy 2, and it sounds like crap in Vista. Even when listening to music. Currently Realtek is just as good in Vista as any super expensive soundcard. That's not the case in XP.