Is there a way to set the default video of a monitor to HDMI instead of DVI?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

I say this because I have both my computer and my new PS3 hooked up to the same monitor and it drives me nuts that it keeps switching back to DVI mode which is what I have my PC on. My PS3 is on HDMI and I would rather just turn on the PS3 and it immediatly go to HDMI instead of me messing around with the monitor settings.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

You could use a DVI to HDMI adapter for your PC and then get an HDMI switcher to plug 2 (or more) cables into, which would then give you a single cable going into your monitor.

Edit: Or, if you get an adapter that is just a small connector type (rather than DVI-HDMI adapted cable) - you could unplug/replug the same, single hdmi cable between your PS3 and PC and just keep it connected to the single monitor input.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Have you looked in the settings?

I set my monitor to HDMI auto-mode.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Stinger78

Have you looked in the settings?

I set my monitor to HDMI auto-mode.

kraken2109
This, but also, if there are multiple cables plugged-in, that's probably why it defaults to one instead of the other.
TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

There are multiple cables plugged in, it doesnt have an auto to "to whatever connection" mode.

I thought maybe I can do something in windows so it wouldnt default back to my PC's 2nd display.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stinger78
Try unplugging the DVI from the monitor - leave HDMI. Go through whatever steps you do - like powering-off and back-on, and see if, with nothing plugged-in to DVI, if the monitor defaults to DVI. You can also try the same thing with nothing plugged-in at all - see what it does, what input it tries to display with nothing except power plugged-in. If it will stay on HDMI with only HDMI plugged-in, then what I posted first about using just the HDMI cable, will work and you won't have to switch anything on the monitor. If your computer actually has HDMI along with DVI, then try powering it off, unplug the DVI and plug in HDMI into the computer, and see how that works.