Is It Just Me? Who Else Prefers Games in CD/DVD Format?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spam-Robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 spam-Robot
Member since 2007 • 653 Posts
Me and a few of my friends got into this argument. They themselves think it is easier to have games stored digitally like bought on steam. But I myself would rather have the CD's to them, since I have had personal experience with my steam being hacked and all of my games lost.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts
I prefer digital. Nothing to keep up with, nothing to lose or get scratched. I've never been hacked because: 1. I don't download anything on the internet I don't need. No IM's, no special screen savers, no trial software, etc. Irfanview, Firefox, Thunderbird, AVG and Steam. Everything else is either games or documents I create. 2. My passwords. I just changed mine from !epa7Bke3$...no one will ever guess them. 3. This is how I deal with people trying to rip my steam account.
Sky_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sky_Raptor
Member since 2006 • 548 Posts
its all about the box art :P, lol
i also like cd/dvd because its faster to instal, then download + instal
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I prefer CD/DVD copy that doesn't require internet access to install. I won't buy a game that is only for digital download.
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
I like having the box, guess I'm weird like that.
GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GulliverJr
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts

I prefer CD/DVDs as well. Digital distribution is a great concept, and I am sure it works well for some people.

I have too frequently been without an internet connection for one reason or another, so it is essential that I have all of my software, games included, on local media. Even when I buy software online that I download, I always pay to have a version on optical media sent as a backup.

- Vr/GulliverJR.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Me and a few of my friends got into this argument. They themselves think it is easier to have games stored digitally like bought on steam. But I myself would rather have the CD's to them, since I have had personal experience with my steam being hacked and all of my games lost. spam-Robot

If you purchase games digitally, you should still be backing them up on disk. It's a no brainer.

spam-Robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 spam-Robot

I prefer CD/DVD copy that doesn't require internet access to install. I won't buy a game that is only for digital download.Swiftstrike5

Was going to say that. I just moved recently and had no internet for 2 weeks, and ALL of my games were on steam, which I could sadly NOT DOWNLOAD on my new comp. So I had to play Serious Sam XD and PS1 games.

spam-Robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 spam-Robot
Wait, you can put the games off of steam on a CD? Do explain.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

Wait, you can put the games off of steam on a CD? Do explain. spam-Robot

There's a backup option. Try right-clicking your games in the game menu - I think you can do it from there.

I guess it's only useful if you don't want to download it again...

Snubnose38spl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Snubnose38spl
Member since 2006 • 110 Posts
well i like digital downloads but if you dont have internet on the computer you want the game on thats the down side of it. the plus side being you dont have to worry about scratching the disc or breaking it.
portujoel5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 portujoel5
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

I don't live in the US, and since importing games to my country (Venezuela) is quite expensive for retailers, it's a lot cheaper (half or one third) and easier.

I could also buy the game box from Ebay and have it shipped, but 20 days to get it or 8 hours of download for something big...

So, it's all about digital distribution babe!

Begemott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Begemott
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts

I prefer digital. Nothing to keep up with, nothing to lose or get scratched. I've never been hacked because: 1. I don't download anything on the internet I don't need. No IM's, no special screen savers, no trial software, etc. Irfanview, Firefox, Thunderbird, AVG and Steam. Everything else is either games or documents I create. 2. My passwords. I just changed mine from !epa7Bke3$...no one will ever guess them. 3. This is how I deal with people trying to rip my steam account.br0kenrabbit

*Bow*

estraka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 estraka
Member since 2003 • 54 Posts
Being a scientist- you become really anal about things. I always create hard copies of anything of importance and always have a backup copy as well. I would never go into the forest with just a compass- what would happen if I had no reception or ran out of batteries? I'll always have a compass too. Same with videogames -what if someone stole my password and changed it on me? I'd lose a lot of money buying those games again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts
Since i've only bought games digitally through STEAM, all my others i own on CD/DVD, i have to say i prefer digital downloads. No worry about scratching the disc or breaking it and then not being able to play or reinstall on your PC etc. I think it really comes down to what your like as a gamer, some people like owning a CD/DVD version of the game because they buy collectors or limited editions of games.
A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#16 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I'm all for the cd/dvd in store or mail order purchase. I probably will never buy another game digitally.
spam-Robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 spam-Robot
But if you buy it physically, then you can just register it on steam, so it would be exactly like having the digital copy, and a physical one.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#18 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I don't mind either way really, whichever is the best value.
Shrodinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Shrodinger
Member since 2005 • 994 Posts
I prefer the dvds over the cds, but yes, I like my games in hard copy. Also, I am a scthicker for aesome box design. That's right, I like 'em to look cool. DVD cases, Tin boxes, it's all good. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="spam-Robot"]Me and a few of my friends got into this argument. They themselves think it is easier to have games stored digitally like bought on steam. But I myself would rather have the CD's to them, since I have had personal experience with my steam being hacked and all of my games lost. Johnny_Rock

If you purchase games digitally, you should still be backing them up on disk. It's a no brainer.

This would be useless on somethign like steam where you lose your account..

Succumbus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Succumbus
Member since 2004 • 597 Posts
I like games being on DVDs so I dont have to sit there for 20 minutes swapping five cds out (KOTOR, Fable, F.E.A.R.)
Sardonacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sardonacus
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts
After the trouble I just had with that stupid download manager of EA's, DVD's have gone ahead of digital. I do like the convience of digital. you see it, you want it, it's on your computer.
A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I buy the DVD version if I have a choice..hard copy.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I prefer CD/DVD format.
kruesader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kruesader
Member since 2006 • 6443 Posts

I like having the box and a hard copy, but i wouldnt get scared of getting any digital content hacked.

Foolish people get viruses, smart people don't.

You are NOT the 1 000 000th visitor, you DON'T win a free laptop, thats my motto.

beex215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 beex215
Member since 2006 • 1198 Posts
i want the actual thing.pretty box,cool design on a cd/dvdv,manual.you wont get that its downloaded.no box,burn to blank cd,online manual.
spam-Robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spam-Robot
Just realized, if you buy it and register it on steam, then it will be exactly like having a digital copy, so you can store it away somewhere so it won't get scratched.
SirWeymont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SirWeymont
Member since 2006 • 175 Posts

I like having the box, guess I'm weird like that.AdamPA1006

me too. though it's prolly better enviromentally to go with a download... i do, though. recycle the box!

: )

Royas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Royas
Member since 2002 • 1448 Posts
I'd much rather have the hard copy over a digital download. And I'd rather have that hard copy on DVD as opposed to CD the instant the number of needed CD's becomes more than one.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#30 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

If I purchase something, I want the physical object in my hands. For example:

When I was looking at getting a new car, I test drove a bunch and I finally came across one that I loved. I had to get it, but I wanted it in a certain color and that color wasn't available in my area - but they could bring one to me. So, here were my options...

1. Pay the dealership for the car and wait for them to either drive it up here or have it brought up on a semi with other vehicles.
  2. Go pick the car up myself from another dealership out of state.

I choose the latter. I wasn't going to pay the dealership where I live, my money and wait for my car to show up because I wanted it now. So I drove over 300 miles with my old car, traded it in when I got there and drove home with my new car.

It's kind of like a sense of acomplishment because you can actually see what you own and what you have in your possession.

I've downloaded a couple of games off Steam, but I did that because it was actually cheaper and easier then trying to track down copies.

Out of all the 80+ PC games I own, I think maybe 5 are purchased off the computer and downloaded. I haven't purchased a game off Steam or any other site for a good year now and I don't really plan on it doing it anymore in the future.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"]I like having the box, guess I'm weird like that.SirWeymont

me too. though it's prolly better enviromentally to go with a download... i do, though. recycle the box!

: )

Wait a sec....what do you mean you recycle the box? You don't keep the box; you just throw it in the recycle and keep everything inside or something?

That's strange. Hell, I keep all my boxes....why would you not want to?

Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
I prefer having them on DVD.
vengeance911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 vengeance911
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
digitally stored games are not bad and accounts can be kept really safe if u know how. However, i prefer games on CDs and DVDs.
Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts

I had them digitily it is not bad

but i realy dont like cd-s i prefer them on dvd.

tracphone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tracphone
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I prefer cd/dvd over digital downloads.

One reason is what others have said, and that's the box art and everything included in it besides the game (maps, posters, manuals etc.). Why download all that and print it yourself wasting ink and time while you already have it professionally made for you?

Second reason is safety. As we all know there is no such thing as 100% security on a pc. You can have all the hardware and software firewalls you want but if someone REALLY wants to get into your pc, they will find a way.

Third reason is reliability. I will admit that I have never done a digital download for a game before but what if the power or your internet connection goes off while downloading? I don't know what other people do but I don't want to spend another few hours downloading gigs of a game from the start again.

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#36 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

lol, that guy with the Steam account thingy seriously owned that stupid bastard.

About me, yeah I also kind of like the CD/DVD thing, with the artwork and hard copy and all, thouhg I think I'll be purchasing the id superpack on Steam soon, it's real bang for the buck.

Infernal246

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Infernal246
Member since 2004 • 5325 Posts

I only prefer a hard copy of my games if its a collector's edition (last collector's I bought was Diablo II, next one is Starcraft II), otherwise I get everything digital unless I have to get a hard copy.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

Third reason is reliability. I will admit that I have never done a digital download for a game before but what if the power or your internet connection goes off while downloading? I don't know what other people do but I don't want to spend another few hours downloading gigs of a game from the start again.

tracphone

in Steam, at least, it starts where it left off.

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

I prefer DVD's too. I agree that anything over 1 disk should be on DVD.

I downloaded 1 old game from Steam cause I couldn't get it anywhere else X-Com TFTD.

I know this is probably bad luck but I've had hundreds of games on CD's and DVD's and never scratched a one.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
I don't mind games on DVD but I hate when they require you to insert to play.
spam-Robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 spam-Robot

I don't mind games on DVD but I hate when they require you to insert to play. Deihmos

*coughDVDcrackscough*

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

Some of you guys should seriously take better care of your things. You talk about not worrying about scratching your cd/dvds but i've never in my life had a cd or dvd that didnt work anymore and i still have the original cds for command & conquer that still work, even duke nukem 3d original and still working.

Do you use the discs as toys or something?

spam-Robot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 spam-Robot

Some of you guys should seriously take better care of your things. You talk about not worrying about scratching your cd/dvds but i've never in my life had a cd or dvd that didnt work anymore and i still have the original cds for command & conquer that still work, even duke nukem 3d original and still working.

Do you use the discs as toys or something?

mimic-Denmark

:P True. I still have a perfectly fine working copy of the original House of Dead on pc.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
i prefer games on dvd/cd mostly because it takes a lot of time while downloading the games. if my speed was so much that it would take less than 1 hr to download then i would have preferred digital format
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
I definitely love having hard copies of my games... I also don't like the copy-protection stuff associated with services like Steam, especially since you have to tie your games to one account.
BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

I'd rather have a DVD as hard copy for the games I've bought, but most of my PC game purchases in the last couple of years have been through digital distribution. I usually use Steam, or Direct2Drive to buy games. Both services will let you download again, which gives them an extra layer of safety in case I lose my backup DVDs or something.

To be honest, the main reason I end up downloading more often is out of convenience. A lot of the games I'm intertested in getting aren't available at the local game or department stores. Not to mention that you're not limited by store hours if when you download.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I prefer having a hard copy of the games I purchase, though it does annoy me if I have to insert the DVD every time I want to play. Thats why I like no-dvd patches.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#48 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I like the Box, it's like a trophy, and I enjoy being allows to have a solid CD copy of it rather then depending on my computer, crap happens, you could ose it all
KILLERJAK702KA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KILLERJAK702KA
Member since 2004 • 978 Posts

I like them on disk only if there not on Steam,steam is like the only service that keeps all your games on there server so if your pc crashs you can redownload them ect. or put them easly on a new pc Valves steam is the best when it comes to digital.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I like Stardock's solution.

You buy the game, and you can download it online instantly. You can pay 5 bucks + shipping and handling extra and they mail you physical copy of the game. You can download the game anywhere you want on your account + a physical copy.