Is Half Life 2 the best single player FPS ever made?

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 giant11
Member since 2003 • 760 Posts

I'd say HL1 is the better game. It invoked in me a very unique feeling of alienation that HL2 did not. Also, while HL2 was absolutely mind-blowing in numerous ways, HL1 was even more revolutionary because of its scripted sequences and immersiveness. Another thing to mention is that HL1 had better gunplay. The weapons were better implemented, all around. What saved HL2 from ruination due to lame weapons, however, was the gravity gun. It was simply the ultimate weapon - the best, most versatile weapon of any game, IMO.

Honestly, I don't care if people prefer HL1 or HL2, as long as they recognize their godliness :D

england2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 england2010
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts

half life 2 was realllly boring... i liked F.E.A.R.

giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 giant11
Member since 2003 • 760 Posts

england2010

I love how you back up your opinions with well-formed arguments :?

Anyway, I really like F.E.A.R. too, but it really isn't quite the same caliber as the HL series. I'd go so far as to say that F.E.A.R. had more satisfying gunplay, and yes, we're talking about FPSs here, but IMO, you have to look at many more things besides just the "killing with bullets" part.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

[QUOTE="england2010"]

giant11

Anyway, I really like F.E.A.R. too, but it really isn't quite the same caliber as the HL series. I'd go so far as to say that F.E.A.R. had more satisfying gunplay, and yes, we're talking about FPSs here, but IMO, you have to look at many more things besides just the "killing with bullets" part.

F.E.A.R.'s level design is far too monotonous and the plot is too generic. Otherwise, excellent.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Really, everything you're saying is just going right through my head because I enjoyed it so much. lol

Animatronic64
I am just stating my case, you can enjoy the game as much as you want and say its the best game ever, but when you tell me that its better in every way, i have to make a comparison ;) QUOTE="saruman354"]But the actual shooting in Crysis is better. I feel like that should count more for an FPS.

In my personal opinion the shooting in crysis felt like a mess, kinda like deus ex, (despite been amazing the shooting was awful and overcomplicated) so yeah it is more complicated than hl2, but i wouldnt say that makes the shooting more "enjoyable".
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

[QUOTE="england2010"]

giant11

Would you like some brain scans as evidence that the game did not give him the enjoyment that it gave you? I don't know why one needs a reason to find something boring. Maybe someone in the world finds watching paint dry exciting. Does that mean that someone else needs to provide a detailed analysis of why they don't?

badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
imo Half-life was the best fps combat and Ai was awesome
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#58 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
Not really. I didn't think the story was any good, the A.I. wasn't particularly challenging, and the level design while very good -- is a bit too linear. They fixed that issue in EP2 a bit.
roadwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 roadwish
Member since 2005 • 425 Posts

For some reason I didn't like HL2 single player not at all I just couldn't get into the game. But I have to admit it was quite good anyway

HawX_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 HawX_
Member since 2009 • 98 Posts

I played Half-Life last year and I didn't like it. That could be because it was five after launch though.

Same_Jeans_On

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Same_Jeans_On
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
I preferred halo actually, just a better level of polish .also guns that felt powerful and a game where shooting felt fun,whereas the gunplay in half life was not fun. Also better driving sections, with better control that justfelt smoother. I found halo to just be more fun to play.
SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
Half-Life 2 is my favoirite single player fps that I can always come back to.. I own the xbox, xbox 360, and pc versions of it.. yes, i even played through the terribly unstable xbox version :P. It has very impressive graphics that compete with games today..
dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

In my opinion, yes it is.

But... if you ask this on the Xbox forum the answer will be Halo, on PS3 forum probably Killzone and on System Wars... well that would be pretty complicated to sort out. :)

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Although it is probably the best SINGLE-PLAYER FPS at the moment, that's only part of the reason why its such a great game. The levels are beautifully constructed and they have a great pace to them. The art direction is top notch, making the game not only look amazing to this day, but highly distinguishable from others. The physics engine is a huge aspect of the game, and the gravity gun allows you to connect with it, and the levels. The game set the bar for having such believable characters - subtle gestures, varied facial expressions. Then there is the large modding scene behind the Source engine: Garry's Mod, Day of Defeat, Minerva, Portal: Prelude and hundreds more. As for the game itself, while not being particularly groundbreaking, is as close to perfection as I've ever seen.kdawg88
Pretty much summed up my answer. HL2 is definitely one my my favorite shooters but I don't know about it being the best out of all of them.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

well it is a timeless classic, I cant decide if I like the first or second better. I cant recall playing a straight fps any better than the first two half life games though.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts
I think Crysis tops it in the gameplay department, but as an overall package including story, characters, setting, etc Half Life 2 is the best there is.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

I preferred halo actually, just a better level of polish .also guns that felt powerful and a game where shooting felt fun,whereas the gunplay in half life was not fun. Also better driving sections, with better control that justfelt smoother. I found halo to just be more fun to play.Same_Jeans_On
halo more polished? we are talking about half life 2, one of the most polished games ever vs a very simplified yet fun fps. Some of the level design in halo is just copy and paste and uninspired, it will always be remembered for making fps playable on console though.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

halo more polished? we are talking about half life 2, one of the most polished games ever vs a very simplified yet fun fps. Some of the level design in halo is just cooy and paste and uninspired, it will always be remembered for making fps playable on console though. B

TerrorRizzing

Halo is quite similar to Far Cry and Crysis. A large part of the game consists of big sandbox areas where you choose your approach. I remember that Crytek hyped their squad AI for Far Cry, yet Halo did it much better before.

The Library level tarnished the game's reputation...

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts
@OP...No..it was not.
ghegpatatas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ghegpatatas
Member since 2010 • 611 Posts
the best is yet to come.:)
incredible_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 incredible_one
Member since 2005 • 465 Posts

I'm going to have to say that it was as will remain a classic of single player FPS forever.

somegtalover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 somegtalover
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts

1. Unreal Tournament 2004

2. Half Life

3. Far Cry

4. Half Life 2

5. Crysis

6. Halo

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#73 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
No, it has many great elements but one bit flaw which is the actual shooting just isn't that much fun, to me anyway, it always always felt a bit too much like a jack of all trades, master of none, there's shooting, platforming, puzzles and driving sections. Still a great game overall though, just not my favourite for those reasons.bobbetybob
Yup
linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#74 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
No, its a good game, but far from the best game ever.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I would say so. Yeah it is the jack of all trades but at least it's pretty damn solid in all compartments, it's very rare for a game to nail everything to near perfection. Also why do people always do this in forums, you say XX is not the best game yet you don't tell us what you think IS the best game which is irritating.

the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

[QUOTE="kdawg88"][QUOTE="saruman354"]

Furthermore, there are games out now like Crysis that make the shooting mechanics in HL2 seem almost archaic.

saruman354

It's a heck of a lot more creative than Crysis in its level design.

But the actual shooting in Crysis is better. I feel like that should count more for an FPS.

You act like the gunplay was satisfying in Crysis.. because i found it to be quite dull, kinda like Killzone 2. Both games are pretty to look at but dull to play.

Anyways OT:

The one thing that HL2 has that is extremely rare in the FPS genre is variety. Start off walking through an incredibly immersive city, chased across rooftops, battling combine through sewers, boat chases and combat broken up with physics puzzles and combine/rebel checkpoints, zombie infested town, antlions and car driving, assaulting combine prison with antlion allies etc etc

You play a lot of FPS games today and it's like played one level... played them all. It loses the excitement that HL2 had of constantly wondering what you're going to be doing next, or what's up ahead besides another room full of baddies to shoot.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 dakan45
Indeed both crysis and killzone 2 had very unstatysfing gunplay, in crysis you cant hit crap, and in killzone 2 you can hit all the crap but it takes a million bullets to the head before you kill someon.
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 TheGrayEye
Member since 2006 • 2579 Posts

Indeed both crysis and killzone 2 had very unstatysfing gunplay, in crysis you cant hit crap, and in killzone 2 you can hit all the crap but it takes a million bullets to the head before you kill someon.dakan45

Sounds like you need a new mouse, the shooting in Crysis was perfect. That, or you didn't know that going into strength mode, took away the recoil from your weapons, allowing you to snipe with the korean assualt rifle even.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

1. Unreal Tournament 2004

2. Half Life

3. Far Cry

4. Half Life 2

5. Crysis

6. Halo

somegtalover
Unreal Tournament is not single-player, even if it has a single-player mode.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Indeed both crysis and killzone 2 had very unstatysfing gunplay, in crysis you cant hit crap, and in killzone 2 you can hit all the crap but it takes a million bullets to the head before you kill someon.TheGrayEye

Sounds like you need a new mouse, the shooting in Crysis was perfect. That, or you didn't know that going into strength mode, took away the recoil from your weapons, allowing you to snipe with the korean assualt rifle even.

"Sounds like you need a new mouse" Please save your excuses and accept for once the obvious commnon things i say. Also you dont need a gaming mouse to play a freakin fps and it IS a fact that crysis has pretty innacurate weapons, everyone has complained about it. Even if you deny that fact, still its proven by comparison with every other fps that weapons are more accurate.

Also i never like the cheap power usages such as the one you pointed. Switching to strength to be close to the accuracy you got in other fps everytime you wanna engange someone in a gunfighst is pathetic (Just increase the accuracy and get it over with) but what is more pathetic is that even then, you are not even close to accuracy in all the other fps, so yeah there is a problem allright.

I am so glad they are fixing it in crysis 2 and the gunplay will actually be good because thats what matters in a fps, the freaking shooting. (Athough admitedly, they overdoing it since the scar seemed to have no recoil)

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
I agree. Crysis shooting did seem a little stranged.. You need to be really close up to them or non of your shots do jack crap. I know I'm hitting them cause I see them when the shot impacts and the fall back a bit.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 dakan45
I agree. Crysis shooting did seem a little stranged.. You need to be really close up to them or non of your shots do jack crap. I know I'm hitting them cause I see them when the shot impacts and the fall back a bit. SLUSHiNaToR
Thank you for saying that. I was begining to think i am the only one who thought the shooting in crysis was a bit off and it gave a meh feeling when it comes to shooting.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

I'm more in favor of Half-Life 1, HL: Opposing Force or Red Faction. All are great games -- but Half-Life 2 didn't have the unknown and adventurous feel as the first. I remember picking the game up at nine years old and I enjoyed it. And the deaths of the security guards and scientists effected me greatly. :(

But HL2: Ep2 was superior to Ep1 and HL2. Freakin' launching a missile into orbit?! That's rivaled by the feeling inthe first game when you launch the satellite and that relaxing music plays.

Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

It is on my top 5 list for sure.

Heyhuub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Heyhuub
Member since 2010 • 317 Posts

1 is better

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

I'm more in favor of Half-Life 1, HL: Opposing Force or Red Faction. All are great games -- but Half-Life 2 didn't have the unknown and adventurous feel as the first. I remember picking the game up at nine years old and I enjoyed it. And the deaths of the security guards and scientists effected me greatly. :(

But HL2: Ep2 was superior to Ep1 and HL2. Freakin' launching a missile into orbit?! That's rivaled by the feeling inthe first game when you launch the satellite and that relaxing music plays.

Sheppard212
I honestly thought Red Faction was utter ****e; the gunplay was the only thing that stood out. Otherwise, the story was horrible, the levels were average, and the geomod technology, while an interesting novelty, was not utilised very well at all in the actual gameplay.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

[QUOTE="Sheppard212"]

kdawg88

I honestly thought Red Faction was utter ****e; the gunplay was the only thing that stood out. Otherwise, the story was horrible, the levels were average, and the geomod technology, while an interesting novelty, was not utilised very well at all in the actual gameplay.

I liked the game, the use of electronic tracks was fantastic and the general idea what great. A fun shooter. I added it to the list because it's just fun to play. :)

Either way you cut the cake, HL1 was an adventure, but HL2 kind of veered aware from where HL1 went. Was it a good idea? Probably. Look how successful it is.

Eneru112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Eneru112
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

Crysis is the best.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#89 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Obviously not.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Its either Half-Life 1 or No One Lives Forever=)

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
No. It is an excellent game, and one of the most noteworthy computer games created. However, there isn't a single best FPS game, keep in mind HL2 isn't exactly strong on the first person shooting compared to other shooters.
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 TheGrayEye
Member since 2006 • 2579 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGrayEye"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Indeed both crysis and killzone 2 had very unstatysfing gunplay, in crysis you cant hit crap, and in killzone 2 you can hit all the crap but it takes a million bullets to the head before you kill someon.dakan45

"Sounds like you need a new mouse" Please save your excuses and accept for once the obvious commnon things i say. Also you dont need a gaming mouse to play a freakin fps and it IS a fact that crysis has pretty innacurate weapons, everyone has complained about it. Even if you deny that fact, still its proven by comparison with every other fps that weapons are more accurate.

Also i never like the cheap power usages such as the one you pointed. Switching to strength to be close to the accuracy you got in other fps everytime you wanna engange someone in a gunfighst is pathetic (Just increase the accuracy and get it over with) but what is more pathetic is that even then, you are not even close to accuracy in all the other fps, so yeah there is a problem allright.

I am so glad they are fixing it in crysis 2 and the gunplay will actually be good because thats what matters in a fps, the freaking shooting. (Athough admitedly, they overdoing it since the scar seemed to have no recoil)

Who is everyone? I'm pretty sure if Crysis had bad shooting, it wouldn't have gotten a 9.5 on here, be hailed as "easily one of the greatest shooters of all time", and recieve the shooter of the year award. Also, by other fps games, do you mean Call of Duty, the game where every gun shoots in a perfect straight line, and with no recoil?

The weapons aren't inaccurate- it's realistic, you can't run around like CoD and have perfect accuracy for everything you hit, no matter the range. In Crysis if you want to hit a target far away, you need to lay down, goto strength mode (the equivalent here of holding your breath in other shooters), and aim for the head. It isn't that hard really, it just takes a bit of patience, it's realistic, but I guess everything has to be simplified down for people these days.

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

The Half Life story is mediocre, the story telling however... is incredibly immersing and excellent.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I would say it is still definitely one of the best single player fps- though I think it has retain this status mostly because most energy is now being directed toward the mutlplayer portion of the games
yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

Is Half Life 2 the best single player FPS ever made?saruman354
Not IMO.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]Indeed both crysis and killzone 2 had very unstatysfing gunplay, in crysis you cant hit crap, and in killzone 2 you can hit all the crap but it takes a million bullets to the head before you kill someon.TheGrayEye

Agreed, Crysis has the best gunplay in an FPS period. Every time I pick up a shotgun in that game, I get know I'm in for some good fun.