Is Half Life 2 the best single player FPS ever made?

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 saruman354
Member since 2004 • 10776 Posts

You've probably heard it all before...Half Life 2 is considered by many people to be the greatest single player FPS ever created. It was ranked number 5 on Game Informer's Top 200 list and is the highest rated PC game on Metacritic and on GameRankings, among games with more than 2 reviews, it is ranked second only behind The Orange Box. So what do you think? If you say no, be sure to explain what you think is better and why.

BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts

I doubt it. It's a good game but far from the greatest single player fps ever created.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Although it is probably the best SINGLE-PLAYER FPS at the moment, that's only part of the reason why its such a great game. The levels are beautifully constructed and they have a great pace to them. The art direction is top notch, making the game not only look amazing to this day, but highly distinguishable from others. The physics engine is a huge aspect of the game, and the gravity gun allows you to connect with it, and the levels. The game set the bar for having such believable characters - subtle gestures, varied facial expressions. Then there is the large modding scene behind the Source engine: Garry's Mod, Day of Defeat, Minerva, Portal: Prelude and hundreds more. As for the game itself, while not being particularly groundbreaking, is as close to perfection as I've ever seen.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Deus Ex
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Yep. Not only that, but also in my opinion the best game ever made.

The level design, the immersive atmosphere, the innovative use of physics, the graphics, the structure and pacing, the characters, the story, the weapons... all exceptional.

The only thing about the game I would criticise is the AI. It's the only thing that stops it from being my perfect game.

ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Short answer: yes

Long answer: this

Yep. Not only that, but also in my opinion the best game ever made.

The level design, the immersive atmosphere, the innovative use of physics, the graphics, the structure and pacing, the characters, the story, the weapons... all exceptional.

The only thing about the game I would criticise is the AI. It's the only thing that stops it from being my perfect game.

broken_bass_bin

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
When you look at retrospectively you need to remember how it was "at the time". At the time it was rediculously amazing. The graphics, the engine, the levels.. I could go on. I think its a close call between Half Life 2 and Deus Ex. Both were stunning on their release and still are to this day.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
No, it has many great elements but one bit flaw which is the actual shooting just isn't that much fun, to me anyway, it always always felt a bit too much like a jack of all trades, master of none, there's shooting, platforming, puzzles and driving sections. Still a great game overall though, just not my favourite for those reasons.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kdawg88
Deus Ex is certainly not the best FPS of all time. As an FPS, I would say it is pretty crap, and by no means can it be shoved into such a small genre.
LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
Jk2
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
I remember thinking at the time it came out, that Far Cry was better,
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
I love Half Life, but it's not my favorite FPS. It's in my top 5 though...
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

Half-Life 2 is simply the most polished and responsive first person shooter I have ever played.

peterz0306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 peterz0306
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts

This game has everything:

- Changed the way we play shooters with the physics implementation

- Great story

- Deep characters

- Fantastic A.I.

- Incredible level design

- Great sound effects

- Graphics that after so many years are still great --> best facial expressions to date

- Just right (not to difficult, not to easy).

Every FPS should do a check list and see if they have all these things together. This is what makes a great game.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

It's one of the most boring games I've ever bothered finishing.

What is the best single player FPS? I don't know. I don't play most of them anyway. Of the stuff I have bothered playing, probably the Metroid Prime series. I think most first person shooters are rather dull, and Half-Life 2 is no exception. Some of older Rainbow Six games are better. Halo is better...and I don't even really like Halo either.

Resident Evil 4 is far better, but of course that's not technically first person. On paper, I would have figured that RE4 would have bored me, but I ended up liking it a lot. I couldn't really tell you exactly why.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Animatronic64

It's one of the most boring games I've ever bothered finishing.

Best single player FPS? I don't know. I don't play most of them anyway. Of the stuff I have bothered playing, probably the Metroid Prime series. I think most first person shooters are rather dull, and Half-Life 2 is no exception. Some of older Rainbow Six games are better. Halo is better...and I don't even really like Halo either.

Resident Evil 4 is far better, but of course that's not technically first person. On paper, I would have figured that RE4 would have bored me, but I ended up liking it a lot. I couldn't really tell you exactly why.

StopThePresses

Halo better than Half-Life 2? Impossible.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Im actually enjoying Halo: Combat Evolved better than Half Life 2 right now. It maybe because I get scared easily. Half Life 2 makes you feel alone and empty. But Halo makes you feel powerful and badass.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i wouldnt understand why people think half-life is inferior to any other fps single player. you'll find that half-life 2 had much more time and effort put into gameplay, level design, AI and story than of any other game. keep in mind this game was released before the 'next-generation'. those who say half-life 2 is dull, don't truly appreciate a longer single player experience, or just want that straight forward halo experience. 5 hour single player campaign. on to multiplayer. hell. half-life 2 deathmatch was a blast. i dont even see the point of skipping over the fact that hl2dm was pretty much more exciting than your sluggish halo multiplayer. OH WAIT. hl2dm doesnt have a 'leveling' system. furthermore, throughout the game, it retains the fresh feel with various open environments and well design close quarters combat. the whole game from the level sandtraps all the way to the end had nonstop combat, basically. i dont understand whats dull about that. the wipe open environments during the driving levels might seem dull to you because you dont appreciate this different approach.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Animatronic64

Im actually enjoying Halo: Combat Evolved better than Half Life 2 right now. It maybe because I get scared easily. Half Life 2 makes you feel alone and empty. But Halo makes you feel powerful and badass.

martinX3X
Half-Life 2 does the same, it's just that Half-Life 2 has a far better atmosphere than Halo. But yeah, Gordon Freeman takes down an army, how can you not feel powerful and badass?
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
[QUOTE="martinX3X"]

Animatronic64
Half-Life 2 does the same, it's just that Half-Life 2 has a far better atmosphere than Halo. But yeah, Gordon Freeman takes down an army, how can you not feel powerful and badass?

you dont have a shield. a green, bulky suit. and requirements to take a tactical approach towards things. not hating on halo. just hating on how people portray that game to be. its a good game and all, its just that remarks like that make me hate that game.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Animatronic64
[QUOTE="Animatronic64"][QUOTE="martinX3X"]

yellosnolvr

you dont have a shield. a green, bulky suit. and requirements to take a tactical approach towards things. not hating on halo. just hating on how people portray that game to be. its a good game and all, its just that remarks like that make me hate that game.

What remarks? And you shouldn't base your opinion of the game on other people's personal feelings about it.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Personally it never was and it will never be. I always considered a random sequel that fails to capture the magic of the first game. Kinda how invisible war is to deus ex. Now if you ask me to say how many people consider it better than the first, i would say its 78% of half life fans. How many consider it the best fps ever? I would say about a solid 65% of the fps gaming population. (mind that gps fanbase is way too big) From singleplayer fps, i would say that 82% considers it to be one of the best games ever. By rating criterica, its pretty dated in many ways for todays standards. By first person shooting criteria it is very weak infact the first game had better combat, ai, guns, enemies and challenges. So the first game was a much better "first person shooter" than the second.

"If you say no, be sure to explain what you think is better and why." Well, in that case i must respond to the question you ask as the tc. Hl2 did not have good gunplay or ai or challenging enemies or good guns. It felt mroe like an action adventure game that use grab and throw stuff with the gravity gun rather an fps. Also yeah i do consider many many games to be better fps. (like the first one, or quake 2, or doom 3 or cod or far cry) While trying to see it as diffirent game with each unique ideas, i have to say i was overally, underwelmed by the "quality" of the challenges and overal gameplay, especially with games that have more complex gameplay with more options such as system shock 2 or deus ex and games that have better combat/gunplay like fear, or more complicated like far cry.

Also some parts of the game feld either dowright riddiculous or an annoyance that made no sense. For example an area full of mines, turrets that cannot be destroyed or trying to navigate under a bridge when there is practicly no space to navigate and you gonna have to make balanced acrobatics. Also some turrets that are activated with laser trips, so you have to activate them and throw a grenade in there (What a dumb way to destroy them by the way, either dont bother at all or make the turres to react like the ones in hl1.) Or some energy balls that grab on you and electrify you, so you have to use the gravity gun to throw them at the sea or when you have to pick up objects and put them on sand, so you wont have to wake up the neingboors with your footsteps (The antlions, at that part i was like "am i playing a first person SHOOTER or a road buiding simulator?)

Also keep in mind that the action is scare and it lacks good action scenes like the first or challenging fights. You could say i felt i was missing the grunts from the other fps and i was begging to shoot something. Once someone said "games nowadays have forgot what fps are about, the freaking shooting" So in the end i would say its more of a Gravity Gun first person action adventure rather a first person shooter. This is where i would like to add that the game could be improved alot if they gave us more choices, for example follow diffirent paths so i wont have to go under that bridge, or allow me to destroy the turrens with my guns, games like deus ex and system shock 2 have shown that having the ability to play the way you want is much better than having to play in a specific way the developers made the game to work.

Oh and add some action scenes please or some tough enemies. Also i do believe that in hl2 episode 1 and 2 were much better than hl2 with more action and less stupid stuff.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Animatronic64

Personally it never was and it will never be. I always considered a random sequel that fails to capture the magic of the first game. dakan45

Half-Life was incredible for its time, but Half-Life 2 destroy it in every single way possible.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
i don't like when people say best. its some peoples favorite though.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]

Personally it never was and it will never be. I always considered a random sequel that fails to capture the magic of the first game. Animatronic64

Half-Life was incredible for its time, but Half-Life 2 destroy it in every single way possible.

Emm, no, as i said, the ai in half life is better, so much better that it litterly destroyes hl2 ai. The guns are better, one can argue that it has better action scenes. It also has better combat and more varied enviroments plus better monsters. The only thing hl2 has better is characters and perhaps story, but i thought it was not told very well. Apart from that half life is clearly a much better and revolutionary shooter, hl2 is a weakened hl with weaker ai and combat scenarios and weakened guns and lower ammo capacity, but guess what? It destroyes hl1 because it has a device that picks up stuffs and throws them around :roll:.....I mean, seriously? I really liked hl2 till you get the gravity gun, then it slowly decented into crapiness, isntead of evolve its shooter combat counterpat like all fps do, it gave you a gravity gun and said "This is your important item from now on and you will solve 98% of the situations you will get into with it" A pretty poor excuse for a first person SHOOTER.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

No. It's certainly one of the best, but the best FPS ever made is the original Half-Life, which had better combat and atmosphere.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Animatronic64
[QUOTE="Animatronic64"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]

Personally it never was and it will never be. I always considered a random sequel that fails to capture the magic of the first game. dakan45

Emm, no, as i said, the ai in half life is better, so much better that it litterly destroyes hl2 ai. The guns are better, one can argue that it has better action scenes. It also has better combat and more varied enviroments plus better monsters. The only thing hl2 has better is characters and perhaps story, but i thought it was not told very well. Apart from that half life is clearly a much better and revolutionary shooter, hl2 is a weakened hl with weaker ai and combat scenarios and weakened guns and lower ammo capacity, but guess what? It destroyes hl1 because it has a device that picks up stuffs and throws them around :roll:.....I mean, seriously? I really liked hl2 till you get the gravity gun, then it slowly decented into crapiness, isntead of evolve its shooter combat counterpat like all fps do, it gave you a gravity gun and said "This is your important item from now on and you will solve 98% of the situations you will get into with it" A pretty poor excuse for a first person SHOOTER.

In my opinion, Half-Life 2 is better in every aspect you just mentioned.
JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

[QUOTE="Animatronic64"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]

Personally it never was and it will never be. dakan45

... the ai in half life is better, so much better that it litterly destroys hl2 ai. The guns are better, one can argue that it has better action scenes. It also has better combat and more varied enviroments plus better monsters. The only thing hl2 has better is characters and perhaps story [...] Apart from that half life is clearly a much better and revolutionary shooter ...

^this.

I prefer Far Cry.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
The greatest FPS varies from person to person. I've heard people say Duck Hunt is the best FPS ever made.
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

No where near, in my opinion.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
when it was released... yes.. now.... no.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
It's in the top 5. I think the only real complaints that can be made about the game are that it's very linear and the guns aren't as creative as its predecessor's (which got very interesting in the endgame once you started using Xen lifeforms as makeshift weapons).
The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

Its up there. It was the best in my mind after it got released. The only challange to its story was Far Cry and maybe Doom 3. It just had fantastic characters, a great story, great puzzles, fantastic mods, etc. It was just a fantastic game during the time of its release, and it still is.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dakan45
In my opinion, Half-Life 2 is better in every aspect you just mentioned. Animatronic64
Well those things are better but they dont matter much in fps for most people, gunplay, weapons and ai matter much more.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I'm not really a FPS fan (at all) and, of the ones I've played, HL2 really isn't my favorite. I absolutely hated the water-boat levels. They went on far too long and were pretty tedious. I also didn't care for the Ravenholm level. I enjoyed the game somewhat but I never got that special feeling from it. Personally, I like STALKER SoC a lot better.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Animatronic64
[QUOTE="Animatronic64"]In my opinion, Half-Life 2 is better in every aspect you just mentioned. dakan45
Well those things are better but they dont matter much in fps for most people, gunplay, weapons and ai matter much more.

Gun play was fine in Half-Life 2.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dakan45
[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="Animatronic64"]In my opinion, Half-Life 2 is better in every aspect you just mentioned. Animatronic64

Gun play was fine in Half-Life 2.

Well you could say it was "fine" as "was not bad or terrible" or "was not annoying or frustrating" But it did not really have any spark in it, slow moving troops coming at your position, aim their guns at you and shoot in weak bursts that neither cause you any significant damage or annoyance, you throw a grenade, they are dead, you shoot them a litte bit, they are dead, you run away, they hardly put an effort to go to your position or bother you any further, it felt like the ai is not puttting much of a fight which made the gunplay to seem rather weak, like a break before the next puzzle. Also the suprisingly low ammo capacity made it clear that you are not suposed to spend many bullets or include yourself in a gunfight too often. Hell i remember hearing one of the commentaries in episode 1 "after that point the player experianced combat fatigue and we decided to put a relaxing puzzle" Wait what? I dont dissagree with the idea of changing the challenges you give to the player with variety of those challenges, but in hl2 case, there is no fatigue in the gunfights and it often feels like the developers are taking the combat away from you just when you started having fun.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Animatronic64

Really, everything you're saying is just going right through my head because I enjoyed it so much. lol

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kdawg88

Really, everything you're saying is just going right through my head because I enjoyed it so much. lol

Animatronic64
Same here. The quality of this game is in plain sight.
saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 saruman354

Well since I made the topic I may as well throw my two cents in.

If I had to rank the top 3 greatest single player FPS's Half Life 2 would definitely be in it. After that, things get a little fuzzy. I'm a bit conflicted on whether I think HL1 or HL2 is better. Furthermore, there are games out now like Crysis that make the shooting mechanics in HL2 seem almost archaic. Was it the best when it was released? Possibly. Is it the best now? No, but it's darn close.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

No, and it wasn't the best when it was released.

AdamLiuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AdamLiuu
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
yeah, it's a great game. i remember that for some time, i've been so crazy for it.
AdamLiuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AdamLiuu
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
yeah, it's a great game. i remember that for some time, i've been so crazy for it.
LeadnSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LeadnSteel
Member since 2009 • 371 Posts

Pretty much. I loved Half Life 2 and it had the best visuals for it's time. I know alot of people are waiting for a Hlaf Life 3 and hopefully valve will hurry up and finish the series. Hope it will also have groundbreaking visuals as well.

I was almost going to say F.E.A.R 1 was the best but I will leave it in my #2 spot.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kdawg88

Furthermore, there are games out now like Crysis that make the shooting mechanics in HL2 seem almost archaic.

saruman354
It's a heck of a lot more creative than Crysis in its level design.
saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 saruman354
[QUOTE="saruman354"]

Furthermore, there are games out now like Crysis that make the shooting mechanics in HL2 seem almost archaic.

kdawg88
It's a heck of a lot more creative than Crysis in its level design.

But the actual shooting in Crysis is better. I feel like that should count more for an FPS.
BornGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 BornGamer
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

Doom IMO.

It's the Citizen Kane of FPS's... Everyone knows it was groundbreaking and incredible but no-one wants to experience it again. LOL.