Is EA "FORCING" you to buy their next games?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

So I picked up BF1 for 5$ on this black friday sale, I remember having no issues what so ever running it on the open beta on high graphics back than with my 280/290.

Playing on single player? easy, ultra settings set.

Playing on multiplayer? I'm having 20fps at times on lowest settings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_live/comments/90w8m9/acknowledge_and_fix_bf1_performance_issues_on_pc/

Many players complain that they had the game running perfectly fine back then few months ago, while right now it works like crap.

Are EA trying to do the Apple/Samsung trick where they make their previous products worse so you go and buy their latest ones?

If so that was my last coin spend on EA and their games, don't get me wrong BF1 is as much as fun as BF4 which I own with all it's season pass, but I do not tolerate greedy corporate tricks.

Quick Update: turned on MSI afterburner to see if something is bottlenecking it, looks like it makes my CPU go 100% at times which results in the fps drops. i5 4690, looks like i'm in need of some i7 4770/4790 or a brand new i5 9600. Sounds like their latest patches were not CPU optimized

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I wouldn’t put it past them. I stopped giving them money years ago. I have zero trust or confidence in them.

hundreddeaths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 hundreddeaths
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

EA is a corrupt company, that's all i have to say.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

BF1 runs great for me just like all my BF games...

BF1 and BFV are digital copies. :)

MisterVulpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MisterVulpes
Member since 2018 • 797 Posts

With the decline of BioWare, EA now has nothing I’m interested in.

Good riddance.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I was going to buy BF 1 this during black friday but then I remembered how shitty EA has become. I also heard that BF1 and BFV don't utilize 4 cores/4 threads all that well, regardless of IPC.

I feel guilty just supporting them. With that said, BF4 is still a great game.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@BassMan: CPU: i9 9900K - yeah I have a friend with 8086K it runs at 100fps on his rig as well

This game is a CPU hog right now with their crappy updates, many people complain about the drops, you'll have to own some beasty old gen CPU or brand new i5 in order to have no drops.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BassMan

@PredatorRules: BF1 ran good on my old i7 7700K as well. It struggles (get stutters in MP) on my laptop with i7 7700HQ, but most laptops have shit CPUs though.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

BF1 was playable on my old FX-6300 with 8GB RAM, on most 64 player maps fps would drop to something like 40s. That i5 of yours is helluva lot better than the crappy FX, so it makes perfect sense to me. I remember when BF1 was released they changed the BF4 UI in the way that starting the game wouldn't open up the battlelog, but get you in the new main menu. And once you manually got into battlelog you would see all your favourite servers were deleted. And that was the end of my clan server which had been very popular prior to the update. Mods put a lot of their time and effort to manage it and they just crapped at it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@BassMan said:

BF2 doesn't run for you at all. EA shut it down and then shut down the fanmade version. My favorite game in the series can't be played anymore.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BassMan

@ezekiel43:

https://www.bf2hub.com/home/

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@BassMan: I saw someone on reddit with 1080Ti and i7 8800K which also complain about the drops...

IDK what they've done but it's random I guess.

All I do know is that when my cores go up to 100% it gets choked and the frame drops start

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Tried playing my bro in law's BF1 when it came out. Felt like the same old EA and same old FPS game as almost every other one the past 20 years. Wouldn't play it again for free.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#14  Edited By lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts
@PredatorRules said:

@BassMan: I saw someone on reddit with 1080Ti and i7 8800K which also complain about the drops...

All I do know is that when my cores go up to 100% it gets choked and the frame drops start

I ran BF1 on a 5th gen i5 with 8gb of ram and a 2GB GTX 960 and the game caused me no issue.

This has got to either be a driver issue on your end, or some sort of directx library thingie you may have to update.

As much as i dislike EA / Dice, this is not something they do, at least based on almost two decades of Battlefield titles.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

I'm sorry, but are you honestly asking if EA is deliberately sabotaging their previous games to get people to stay "current" and buy new ones?

I kind of want to call you crazy for thinking this, if you indeed are, but at the same time...I wouldn't put it past EA to do this haha

@PredatorRules said:

I would say it's probably a bad update.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GeryGo  Moderator

@lucidique: All other games run just fine no drops, hard to believe It's coming from my side when lots of other people report on the same issue.

Are you on singleplayer? because it's running 60fps all time on ultra over there.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@Yams1980: Bad coding, that's what my friend said about it too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts
@ezekiel43 said:
@BassMan said:

BF2 doesn't run for you at all. EA shut it down and then shut down the fanmade version. My favorite game in the series can't be played anymore.

People still play it on Gameranger.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lucidique

@PredatorRules said:

@lucidique: All other games run just fine no drops, hard to believe It's coming from my side when lots of other people report on the same issue.

Are you on singleplayer? because it's running 60fps all time on ultra over there.

I was running fine in both modes.

I'm not saying it's just you. I believe you a 100% when you say it may be affecting many users.

However if the game is running fine for a lot of users, it means the ones affected must have a common issue that is not the game, else everybody would be having these issues.

If the problem is not hardware, since you can play many other games just fine, it has to be software in nature.

I've had issues with certain games fixed by manually updating directx dependant redistributables. Assuming you are running a recent version of Windows, this can be done by manually selecting each redistributable under add/remove programs in the control panel.

When selecting an item, you can either uninstall or attempt a repair. That did the trick for me many times.

For reference purposes, I popped Battlefield 1 open yesterday on my current rig and the game appears to still play fine.

I am playing on :

Core i7 8700k / 32GB RAM / GTX 1070 8GB / NVMe storage.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts
@PredatorRules said:

Try out some smaller modes online (domination, frontlines) and see if it has the same issues as with bigger game modes (conquest, operations)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GeryGo  Moderator
@R4gn4r0k said:
@PredatorRules said:

Try out some smaller modes online (domination, frontlines) and see if it has the same issues as with bigger game modes (conquest, operations)

Yeah smaller maps work better but then again it's BF, why would I buy BF to play on small maps? conquest and operations are the most fun to play

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Yeah smaller maps work better but then again it's BF, why would I buy BF to play on small maps? conquest and operations are the most fun to play

Not in BF1, I don't like conquest in BF 1 at all, it's a massive zerg rush :p

Operations and Frontlines are the two modes this game is made for :)

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@BassMan said:

sweet mother of god dude..do you ever want something different from your game play?

never get bored with that?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BassMan

@tryit: I play lots of different games, but I never get bored of Battlefield. :)

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TryIt

@BassMan said:

@tryit: I play lots of different games, but I never get bored of Battlefield. :)

f me...

I played 1942 back when it came out years ago, played a few other FPS during that time but eventually....jesus H!

ok fair enough I guess

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lucidique
@tryit said:
@BassMan said:

f me...

I played 1942 back when it came out years ago, played a few other FPS during that time but eventually....jesus H!

ok fair enough I guess

For what it's worth, Dice was always able to introduce enough variety in gameplay mechanics, or additional systems to be tinkered with, with each new opus.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TryIt

@lucidique said:
@tryit said:
@BassMan said:

f me...

ok fair enough I guess

For what it's worth, Dice was always able to introduce enough variety in gameplay mechanics, or additional systems to be tinkered with, with each new opus.

horseshit

by that I mean 'enough variety'

that part of your statement is crap. give an example that doesnt make me laugh

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lucidique

@tryit said:
@lucidique said:
@tryit said:
@BassMan said:

f me...

ok fair enough I guess

horseshit

Knowing nothing about what you may consider to be enough variety, I won't waste my time humoring you, as it would be an exercise in futility.

Considering they have been going at it for close to two decades, I think my statement stands.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TryIt

@lucidique said:
@tryit said:
@lucidique said:
@tryit said:

f me...

ok fair enough I guess

horseshit

Knowing nothing about what you may consider to be enough variety, I won't waste my time humoring you, as it would be an exercise in futility.

Considering they have been going at it for close to two decades, I think my statement stands.

your unwillingness to even provide an example tells me everything I need to know, its horseshit.

your statement absolutely positively does NOT stand because they have been making the same game over and over again for a decade.

there is only so much you can do to a FPS only game, its just the physics of reality

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Four threads isnt enough for all the newer BF1 expansions.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GeryGo  Moderator
@tryit said:
@BassMan said:

sweet mother of god dude..do you ever want something different from your game play?

never get bored with that?

Some people buy the new Fifa every year, imagine playing the same game for years (any WoW veterans? lol)

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#33 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts

I don't really buy any EA games anymore. The lack of content, the cancerous micro-transactions and them destroying beloved frachises have turned me away. That being said, if the game really interests me, i'll buy it. I bought SWBF2 and i really enjoyed it. I didn't buy it for the online, however i do wish they added galactic conquest, i loved that mode in the original SWBF2. I haven't bought BF5 yet and will probs buy it when its like £20 or something. I'm annoyed the "on the house" has been taken down. It's like EA want to give away terrible service and give us terrible content.

I also have no interest in the new game library they have which now have non EA games on it. It's like they are trying to be like Steam, but if i want to buy a game thats on all applications like Steam, Origin, Uplay etc, I'll buy it on Steam regardless as theres more on it

holl1235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 holl1235
Member since 2019 • 3 Posts

No they won't force me