Is Act of War: Direct Action still a good game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

If I'm buying it, its for the single player. I wanna know if the story is any good.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

If I'm buying it, its for the single player. I wanna know if the story is any good.

JangoWuzHere

I enjoyed it. I never played the online for it myself. I played it strictly for the single player story.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

I enjoyed the game. The story itself is pretty incredulous, but still entertaining.

MEOWWW123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MEOWWW123
Member since 2008 • 870 Posts

Its hard to get it to work on modern day rigs

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

MEOWWW123
This, it's great if you can get it to work though
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

MEOWWW123

I try to keep an XP product key handy for those times so I can throw XP on a spare partition. Best of both worlds.

grisibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 grisibur
Member since 2004 • 600 Posts

MEOWWW123

It isent that hard, you just have to make sure your rig boots up with 2 gig memory or less, then it should work, did so for me anyways.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts

Story is amazing, but the game is a bit hard to get working on modern PCs.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
I loved that game. i think I still have it lying around here somewhere. They need to make a new one that is more balanced.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Good game, I enjoyed it to be honest. But never tried it online sadly.
Furher12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Furher12
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
It was a great game, they don't make them like this anymore
Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

Niceee, I was not aware of this game, im definately getting it after looking at some tube videos, thanks for asking such a good question!! :)

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Niceee, I was not aware of this game, im definately getting it after looking at some tube videos, thanks for asking such a good question!! :)

Walincas
No problem, questions I asked over a year ago are always helpful!
Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

[QUOTE="Walincas"]

JangoWuzHere

No problem, questions I asked over a year ago are always helpful!

I guess it's my lucky week, found alot of amazing "old" games, all strategy and all pretty good!

gamerrig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamerrig
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
yes indeed correct... 'please help me for i have downloaded this game and installed fine, keeps saying runtime error, and i was told it wont work on windows 7 x64 with more then 4Gb or ram? if you have a solution please post i beg of you LMAO.
gamerrig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamerrig
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
how the heck can i do that? in msconfig? were it says advanced options for boot? because i have 16Gb of ram installed and if i alter this settinng i wonder will i scew up the pc? and can this be changed back to the glorious 16Gb i have
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

You can virtually limit your ram, and have to for these two games. Direct Action is good, High treason is buggy because of this. (I believe this can be done through system settings)

This is ALL system RAM. Including VRAM. So if you have a graphics card of more than 1gb of Vram (high treason will crash for you half way through the game)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory

This (copy and paste into browser) should tell you how to virtually allocate memory.

Both games need LESS than 3GB total RAM.

It is a good game however, High treason seemed to have better mechanics, but like I said it was buggy as hell.

It will not screw up your computer, and you can set it back whenever your done with the game. On Vista I had to restart the pc each time the setting was changed, but that might not be the case with windows 7 or 8.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

You can virtually limit your ram, and have to for these two games. Direct Action is good, High treason is buggy because of this. (I believe this can be done through system settings)

This is ALL system RAM. Including VRAM. So if you have a graphics card of more than 1gb of Vram (high treason will crash for you half way through the game)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory

This (copy and paste into browser) should tell you how to virtually allocate memory.

It is a good game however, High treason seemed to have better mechanics, but like I said it was buggy as hell.

It will not screw up your computer, and you can set it back whenever your done with the game. On Vista I had to restart the pc each time the setting was changed, but that might not be the case with windows 7 or 8.

nilzg

fyi, this has nothing to do with the actual ram you have, (well meaning that it doesn't limit your ram or something) this virtual memory or page file is a replacement for your system ram, when your ram runs out windows uses the page file.

Thats fine, however like I stated above.

For these 2 games you need to virtually limit your entire system ram (including VRAM as its counted as default) slightly less than 3gb.

I am aware that it doesn't actually limit your RAM (like take a stick out). It is all done VIRTUALLY. Basically telling windows what it is allowed to use in the instance you are booting up for.

This is the only way to get the game to work I found on newer systems with a somewhat decent amount of RAM. 

Try running these games with more than 3gb of total system ram, without doing this, and chances are it will not run. 

Also this is a necro.

TranceWarpDDR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TranceWarpDDR
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

If you have the resources, another option is a VM with a copy of Wndows that you own, but aren't using.

I have Windows 7 Pro which lets you run a copy of XP on the same machine at the same time as Windows 7. As the XP Mode doesn't have 3D acceleration, I downloaded a free VM which did. Then loaded the XP Pro ISO that comes with XP Mode and set hardware to 2GB RAM and 128MB VRAM (the highest usable in my VM). Except for a small glitch with the mouse cursor, both versions of Act of War are running fine.

nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts

Lach0121
fyi, this has nothing to do with the actual ram you have, (well meaning that it doesn't limit your ram or something) this virtual memory or page file is a replacement for your system ram, when your ram runs out windows uses the page file.