This topic is locked from further discussion.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

I've had my PC for some time now, and I was recently browsing the internet when all of a sudden I got a warning saying I could not connect to the Internet. I fixed this by doing a cold reboot of my computer. The problem fixed itself, but after a while (a hibernate/sleep or two) the same problem reappears. I'm browsing the internet normally (youtube, gamespot, etc.) and suddenly the connection dies

What really has me stumped is that I've made no changes to my connection (router or otherwise), I haven't changed my usual browsing routine, and I haven't downloaded anything recently. I don't see what can cause this. No one else in our house is having this issue, and this issue started about a week ago. First time I've had this issue on this computer (I've had it for 5 years)

Thanks

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

disable the hibernate/sleep, to rule out power usage issues. And run a test from pingtest.net just to check your line quality. The if it happens again go unplug the power from the router and modem for a full minute and plug it back in.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By genius2365

Just rang pingtest.net and had no problems (no packets lost, low ping, etc.). I'll probably do as you say and unplug it from modem/router if it happens again, but how would sleep/hibernate factor into this? I've done it at least once a day on my computer for the past few years with no issues.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By 04dcarraher

@genius2365:

Its just to rule it out, but also I would run malwarebytes to see you got something.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

Yea, viruses can do freaky things to your internet. Had a few friends who got a virus from facebook and wanted me to remove it. They had no antivirus and everytime I tried to search for norton it would just bring up weird ad sights that weren't really for norton. If all else fails call your isp provider you may be having some issues in your area.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Next time you notice you cannot browse, I would check your network connection. Make sure it is still showing a CAT-5 connected. If it is wireless make sure it still sees the router signal. If those are still connected do a ping test like stated above to make sure its not a browser issue.

paulsandy85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By paulsandy85
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

To sort out the problem of slow internet connection, you can try out some manual tricks as shown in this video. To watch the video go to the link,

http://youtu.be/aDJv-j3GHYA
woomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#8  Edited By woomar
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts

Do you have any new node (added another pc to your house network) ? is your router new ?

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 genius2365

Sorry to bump my old thread, but this problem just became alot more annoying. I can't even finish a multiplayer match without getting lag and/or disconnected. I also ran a full scan with Kaspersky the other day and it found nothing, so that rules out a virus. My dad replaced the ethernet cable I was using on my PC, since the old one was a bit mangled. Didn't change anything, still the same issue: random disconnects, sometimes it's connected but running really slow, etc. As I also said nothing changed, just 5 years it's working and one day it decided to start disconnecting. Could it be an issue with the network card?

@woomar said:

Do you have any new node (added another pc to your house network) ? is your router new ?

No. Like I said, nothing changed in my routine. It's really weird.

@Chatch09 said:

lol are you using Internet Explorer?

Chrome

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 04dcarraher

If its just your pc having the issues then chances are its the ethernet controller or even the port on the motherboard. Now did you try connecting the cable to a different port on the router/modem? To rule out a bad port there. You could just pick up an network card for $15-$20 and see what it does.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 genius2365

@04dcarraher said:

If its just your pc having the issues then chances are its the ethernet controller or even the port on the motherboard. Now did you try connecting the cable to a different port on the router/modem? To rule out a bad port there. You could just pick up an network card for $15-$20 and see what it does.

Good ideas. I'll try them out. Thanks again :)

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts

I was wondering if viruses and trojans could affect the internent connection. For a few days, my internet was slow and wouldn't always respond. During that time, my internet security picked up quite a few trojans and viruses. I put the computer together nearly 4 weeks ago. Since the trojans etc have been detected and dealt with, my internet is ok again. I only have a few days until my internet secutiry needs to be up todate again, but i might give my computer a wipe and start again, that way, it's all clean.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Noob question, but have you cycled the power on your modem and router? You would be surprised how many problems that clears up. Just unplug both from the wall for 30 seconds or so, then let them boot back up.