intel lied.. haswell is misleading

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"] $8000 a year? What is that for? Like a 17 year old boy in a Lamborghini? I'm in the UK and my first year of insurance was £1200 on a 1.2 Corsa.

That is a bit expensive. I think it will be around 800-1100£ for me when I get my own car. Though depends a lot on the car.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] $8000 a year? What is that for? Like a 17 year old boy in a Lamborghini? I'm in the UK and my first year of insurance was £1200 on a 1.2 Corsa.

That is a bit expensive. I think it will be around 800-1100£ for me when I get my own car. Though depends a lot on the car.

Good luck getting it cheaper than that, most of my friends paid more. The only real way to lower it is a smaller engine, and 1.2 is small enough :P
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"] Good luck getting it cheaper than that, most of my friends paid more. The only real way to lower it is a smaller engine, and 1.2 is small enough :P

I live in Norway, not UK :P A friend of mine got a Mercedes C180, 1994 model for 900£ a year. It's expensive here until you hit 24 or 25. Then it gets cheaper. The car we have I think will be around 800£ for me. I'm the only one who have used it the two last years and I haven't had an accident yet :P
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

my imaginary rx7 will PWN

kraken2109

owning a car is not that expensive...you can get a decent condition used car for under $4000.  The only things you need to worry about is filling up gas, plus insurance. Once in a while making sure the car is in good running condition is also a must.

Insurance depends on location, but in the USA , auto insurance is generally much cheaper than in most parts of Canada.  I always laugh when Americans call insurance costing $800 an year expensive.  Here in Toronto, $8000 an year for a new driver is typical.  

$8000 a year? What is that for? Like a 17 year old boy in a Lamborghini? I'm in the UK and my first year of insurance was £1200 on a 1.2 Corsa.

lol no...thats the general cost of insurance for someone who is around 22 years old driving a 2004 honda acura TL but has no prior record.  Not me btw, just someone I know.  Generally new immigrants pay somewhere around $5000-10000 their first year for insurance on again low end cars worth less than $10000.  Even my insurance is $2700 an year with a 10 year driving history, no accidents/claims, driving tickets.  26 years old driving a 2004 mazda with nearly 200 000 km on it.  If you get even 1 speeding ticket, or a small accident, expect to pay out of your ass in insurance for the next 7 years. Insurance companies here are crooks, and id like nothing more than to see them crash and burn. 

If you're planning to move to canada, stay away from Toronto, its too expensive to drive.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 blaznwiipspman1

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

You upgraded when your video card didn't cut it for what?  What were your needs?  You should have been more responsible and frugal.  How many shirts do you have?  Surely you could do with less.  How much do you spend on food?  I'm sure that's not necessary.  Here, let me show you how irresponsible you have been.  

Anyways...

Money is for spending.  Otherwise it's just a piece of paper.  That's not to say that I don't have some savings.  Right now I'm doing fine.  I have never been late on or missed a payment, and I have more than enough to cover my needs and reasonable wants.  My experience with cars is that you can either pay for a newer, more reliable car, or you can pay for repairs more and more as a used one gets older outside of warranty.  Pick your poison.  I drive a lot for both work and pleasure, so the miles are going to pile up.  Driving is also a hobby and a pleasure for me.  I used to drag race semi-professionally as well.  

I don't have any children to save money for.  I'm not sure that I will ever have children.  I'm not married.  That means that my money is mine, and do as I please with it.  Have fun with your investments and accumulation of wealth.  I've never seen a U-Haul behind a hearse.

GummiRaccoon

indeed , just ignore gummi.  Enjoy your life, make your money and blow it on whatever the FUK u feel like.  As you said, your not taking anything in your life beyond the grave.

For someone that upgraded from a 2600k to a 3770k that sounds like post purchase justification to avoid buyers remorse.

lol, sometimes I think you just keep saying the same thing again and again to annoy me....ive told everybody like 100 times that I got a sweet deal for that 3770k, after selling my 2600k, I came out a little ahead, not much but it was a positive gain.  

I even got a 3930k recently, for a good deal, like $260, but decided to resell it since the cost of mother boards are at least $200 so not worth it for me IMO.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

owning a car is not that expensive...you can get a decent condition used car for under $4000.  The only things you need to worry about is filling up gas, plus insurance. Once in a while making sure the car is in good running condition is also a must.

Insurance depends on location, but in the USA , auto insurance is generally much cheaper than in most parts of Canada.  I always laugh when Americans call insurance costing $800 an year expensive.  Here in Toronto, $8000 an year for a new driver is typical.  

blaznwiipspman1

$8000 a year? What is that for? Like a 17 year old boy in a Lamborghini? I'm in the UK and my first year of insurance was £1200 on a 1.2 Corsa.

lol no...thats the general cost of insurance for someone who is around 22 years old driving a 2004 honda acura TL but has no prior record.  Not me btw, just someone I know.  Generally new immigrants pay somewhere around $5000-10000 their first year for insurance on again low end cars worth less than $10000.  Even my insurance is $2700 an year with a 10 year driving history, no accidents/claims, driving tickets.  26 years old driving a 2004 mazda with nearly 200 000 km on it.  If you get even 1 speeding ticket, or a small accident, expect to pay out of your ass in insurance for the next 7 years. Insurance companies here are crooks, and id like nothing more than to see them crash and burn. 

If you're planning to move to canada, stay away from Toronto, its too expensive to drive.

Christ, at those rates, I'd rather drive a beat up shopping cart than drive a car. No one I know, not even in my family could afford those rates. And I'd be damned if I had to ask family members to help me pay that much.
Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Your cognitive ability is minus, thus your judgement on what constitutes terrible is questionable.

GummiRaccoon

So someone who buys a Bugatti is not allowed to say; a Prius is shit?

#gummilogic

Someone that buys a bugatti has minus cognitive ability.  Cars aren't investments.

Vacations aren't investments. Anyone who spends money on vacations has "minus cognitive ability". In fact, almost no hobbies are investments. Anyone who spends money on hobbies has "minus cognitive ability". The average person who buys a Bugatti has enough money that's it the equivalent of an average person buying a high-end gaming PC. Do people who buy gaming PCs have "minus cognitive ability"?
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#108 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

#gummilogicBruin1986

Someone that buys a bugatti has minus cognitive ability.  Cars aren't investments.

Vacations aren't investments. Anyone who spends money on vacations has "minus cognitive ability". In fact, almost no hobbies are investments. Anyone who spends money on hobbies has "minus cognitive ability". The average person who buys a Bugatti has enough money that's it the equivalent of an average person buying a high-end gaming PC. Do people who buy gaming PCs have "minus cognitive ability"?

well-said

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#109 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

#gummilogicBruin1986

Well, as a hobby I invest all my money in investments...

Am off.  Repair the roof. My cognitive abilities just went through it.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="C_Rule"]

#gummilogicBruin1986

Now you're getting it.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Wow... This thread went in a completely different direction.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 blaznwiipspman1

NVIDIATI

lol yeah, thank gummi for that one.

metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
i'm not sure "thank" is the correct word, 'blame' perhaps
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

blaznwiipspman1

Looks like I won't be going to canada. My insurance dropped to £650 for my second year.
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 JimmyJumpy

NVIDIATI

That's the thing with cars.  They have a steering wheel so you can go in any direction, even up if not careful.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

i'm not sure "thank" is the correct word, 'blame' perhapsmetacritical

That's what hitler did to the jews.

metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 JimmyJumpy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_lawmetacritical

I particularly like the bit where it says "anyone making (the comparison mentioned in the link) has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress..." :D

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#119 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

[QUOTE="metacritical"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_lawJimmyJumpy

I particularly like the bit where it says "anyone making (the comparison mentioned in the link) has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress..." :D

BWAAAAHAHAA
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#120 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

I wouldn't call it useless especially if you want to game off of a VM.  You can assign a VM to directly access your videocard.  This allows you to load Linux as your main OS and then run a Windows 7 VM to play games.  There are a ton of uses for allowing your VM to directly access your PC cards vs having to go through your host.

If you have an old game that can't run on your OS you can create a VM with a compatible OS and have it directly access your videocard to run the game.  You may need an older videocard as well as the drivers for it but, at least you have that option.  There are emulators that will let you play old stuff but, emulators won't play everything and they tend to crash a lot for me.

msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

How is he a bad human being?  I think he's hilarious.  Also has pretty good taste in cars.  

hartsickdiscipl

Unless you are laughing at his chin, I dunno what else is funny about him.

Whether he has good taste in cars doesn't mean they are valid investments (which they aren't)

He makes funny jokes.  I like his type of humor most of the time.  It's more clever and insightful than most of the other idiots on TV.  

About the cars as investments-  Have you seen some of the cars that he has?  Most of them continue to increase in value.  

He doesn't even come up with his own jokes. He have a staff of writers that write the jokes for him. And he IS a bad human being. In real life he is a asshole jerk. Money is so stuck up in his head that he looks down at people with less money then him, and thinks he is better then everyone below him.
msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts
I seen a big performance gain when I went from my Phenom II x4 955 CPU to a FX-8120. A lot of my programs loaded up a lot quicker.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

http://wccftech.com/intel-removes-overclocking-nonk-series-haswell-parts/

okay so you the user want to get a cpu for a little bit of everything. maybe do some virtualization, some gaming, and you want to verclock. guess what. you got jacked by intel as you now have to choose. WCCFtech has looked into the matter and its accurate as hell.

k series cpu's can overclock but they lack virtual ahrdware extensions making VM's impossible on K series cpu's. but they are on non-k variant which are COMPLETELY LOCKED, meaning you can even brute force a tiny overclock out.

this should be an interesting fight we have here. haswell is a stock flop with two faces vs amd's weaker, cheaper, one size fits all approach. who will come out on top?

--Anna--

Has anyone called you a fan boy idiot lately:roll:   just anyone who follows tech stuff knows that Haswell sucks.  Why not tell me something new?  Otherwise, you are just wasting space in the forum.  PS: It would be nice if you would use spell-check at least sometimes.

hmm? I read it and there are two typos but other than that no spelling mistakes.