Im so sick of shooting russians...

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

I'm for a target rich enviorment. If whatever it is trys to kill my character I kill it. IDC who or what the enemy is. It's a game nothing more. Most of you need to lighten up.

Just an observation though, I don't think you see Chinese as enemies because they own the US money supply. Would be politically incorrect...:lol:

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#52 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Me too. I always play as the Russians in Arma 2 to make up for it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Should have Canada Vs US >__>

ZerglingZagar

No need to attack canada, their helicopters self destruct in the air by themselves (like doors falling off :lol: ) and submarines are 120 years old, all bought from another country as leftovers. At least canada has reindeer's to go against a M1 abrahams.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
[QUOTE="MEOWWW123"]

Why are so many games these days that involve modern conflict always using Russia as the bad guy? Im not russain or anything but god DAMN. Can we please have a new enemy? Everytime there some stupid cinematic and all the characters act suprised like WHAT?? RUSSIA?? NO WAY MANG.

sorry had to get that out

So many games like the ones you mentioned obviously.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Just an observation though, I don't think you see Chinese as enemies because they own the US money supply. Would be politically incorrect...:lol:

Rickylee

They're my favorite targets in Battlefield 2.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

We need a Turkish Rambo game. Would be amusing, I bet it would sell well outside of the USA, after all they are the villains everywhere else!

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

I just want some more realistic military shooters like Bohemia's games or the old Rainbow 6 games (Raven Shield and earlier) and Ghost Recon 1. I'm sick of the mainstream arcade nonsense aimed at 12 year olds.

true_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58 true_gamer007
Member since 2011 • 433 Posts

me too. but they have nothng else to make evil of.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#59 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

We should probably be looking at the next largest defence budgets if we're looking for a plausible military enemy of the U.S.:

1. China

This is probably the only viable one. They have a very large army which is well equipped with modern technology, excellent training and a fair amount of experience fighting with other major militaries. Unfortunately, they lack a powerful navy and air force, meaning that any plausible U.S. - Chinese conflict will be about the U.S. attacking China. That's not going to happen in a game because Americans wouldn't be able to stand the idea of them being aggressors and "communists" defending themselves legitimately.

2. France, The United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, Italy

They're diplomatically friendly with the U.S. and don't have strong enough air forces or navy forces to invade either, so we have the problem above - a war between them and America would have America being aggressors. The concept of America invading these countries would be so alien and offensive that a game about it would probably only get publicity by pissing off every potential customer.

3. Saudi Arabia

Given that the Saudis and the Americans are trying to cultivate friendly relations, a game about a Saudi-U.S. conflict isn't going to be politically acceptable. In any case, it's been proven in history that Arabs are inherently incapable of fighting a modern war, so a Saudi-U.S. conflict would be a total curbstomp and hence not fun or interesting.

4. India

There really is going to be absolutely no reason why American would get into a war with these dudes.

So, basically, Russia is popular to shoot at because there is a long-standing cultural tradition of fantasizing about shooting Russians. In any case, a war between modern Russia and the modern U.S. would end terribly for the easterners because they have a fraction of the economic power, population and military strength of the U.S.. So in actuality a game realistically based on this sort of conflict would be equally unbalanced and boring.

Since we have established that realism isn't really on the minds of American FPS developers, I guess they could go for any of the above nations and find some way to make a story out of it. However, it wouldn't be fundamentally different from shooting up Russians anyway. American writers have this strange attitude of portraying foreign militaries as relying on numbers and brutal discipline to fight, thus allowing the ultra-competent, good-hearted naturally courageous American hero to own hundreds of swarthy/communist/slanty-eyed/.etc foreign soldiers.

There is no reason why American writers would treat French, Japanese or .etc militaries with any more respect than they treat the Chinese and Russian militaries, so in effect the result would still be the same: you shoot up lots of incompetent foreigners who speak with scary/funny languages as a badass American war hero. This is functionally identical to most of the mainstream "US vs Russia" shooters we complain about, and it would be no less boring or intellectually insulting.

Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts
[QUOTE="GhoX"]In Soviet Russia, Russians shoot you! Wait, that's pretty normal. =/

when I saw the title this came to my mind instantly lol.
XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I find it funny some say it doesn't make sense to make a modern combat game where the US is up against Europe or South America or whatever. It's called fiction for a reason. As long as the writers can make up something believable (some near future plot or even an alternate timeline), it can work just as well.
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

It's also kinda funny how in every recent modern FPS the Russians just steamroll all western European militaries without so much as breaking a sweat. The only semi-believable USvsRussia setting in a recent game was World in Conflict, and that was set at the end of the cold war.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts
I find it funny some say it doesn't make sense to make a modern combat game where the US is up against Europe or South America or whatever. It's called fiction for a reason. As long as the writers can make up something believable (some near future plot or even an alternate timeline), it can work just as well.XIntoTheBlue
That's the point, in all likelihood America won't even fight China anytime soon due to economic interdependence. However, it is a reasonable enemy force if a writer created a universe in which the two fighting did make sense. Even if an author created a scenario of the U.S. fighting South America, it wouldn't even be a war...the battle would be over in 12 minutes as even the entire South American continent (which would NEVER fight as a single unit as many dislike each other) would pale in comparison to the USA.