I bought GTA V for Console, did I pull the trigger too soon?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

warriorlax1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 warriorlax1234
Member since 2003 • 338 Posts

So GTA V is fantastic. Great game, story, graphics are meh (happens when you pc game for years) and I am not trying to turn this into "this better then that" topic here, but every GTA since 3 has come out on PC, just much later that console release. Have any of you bought GTA V for console and couldn't wait for more info on PC release? Have any of you not due to the wait for PC? What are your thoughts?

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I don't play on my console often except the odd game of Fifa so it's nice to have a game to play while relaxing on the couch with a big screen. It's one of those games that works well on consoles and after the GTA IV nightmare with GFWL and sluggish, choppy frame rates, I'm not interested or holding out in a PC port, it's a fools game.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

So GTA V is fantastic. Great game, story, graphics are meh (happens when you pc game for years) and I am not trying to turn this into "this better then that" topic here, but every GTA since 3 has come out on PC, just much later that console release. Have any of you bought GTA V for console and couldn't wait for more info on PC release? Have any of you not due to the wait for PC? What are your thoughts?

warriorlax1234

Graphics are certainly not "meh"... Sure jagged edges are annoying, but that is about it as far as graphical shortcomings are concerned at the moment... The rest of the game is gorgeous.

warriorlax1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 warriorlax1234
Member since 2003 • 338 Posts

[QUOTE="warriorlax1234"]

Squeets

Graphics are certainly not "meh"... Sure jagged edges are annoying, but that is about it as far as graphical shortcomings are concerned at the moment... The rest of the game is gorgeous.

They are not meh if I am sitting on my couch about 7 ft away from the 40 in screen I got. If I sit about 2 feet away (normal gaming distance for me) I can see a lot of imperfections. But again, I am not bashing it , or trying to, it is gorgeous .  I Agree with yea there

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

The only reason the graphics are meh is because of the low resolution and frame rate. If you had that running in 1080p, it would be one of the best looking games, period. It's not on the level of Crysis 3, but it looks better than most games.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Doesn't look like the game will be on the PC until sometime during 2014 at this rate. I picked up the game on the PS3. It's a fantastic game and I don't regret picking it up now. Waiting 6+ months to play the game would mean 6 months of not playing GTA V, which is unacceptable.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Nah, it's great on consoles. I don't have any of my gaming systems with me at school, but I've dabbled with it on my housemate's Xbox and it's pretty tight.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

If I had a console I'd sure as hell play it there first. But yeah, the superior version is coming in a few months

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I was always going to get it for the console and then get it on the PC. Simply wasn't willing to wait.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
gotta buy it for the ps3 and rebuy it for the PC..
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I bought GTA V on PS3 to play with friends. Graphics don't bother me but the drop in framerate and resolution was obvious. Still, can't say those things really bother me. I'm constantly playing games from all gens as it is.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="warriorlax1234"]

warriorlax1234

They are not meh if I am sitting on my couch about 7 ft away from the 40 in screen I got. If I sit about 2 feet away (normal gaming distance for me) I can see a lot of imperfections. But again, I am not bashing it , or trying to, it is gorgeous .  I Agree with yea there

2 feet away from a 40 inch screen? That's a problem with you, not the game.

The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

I have no option but to wait. I only have pc lol

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
I dont regret getting it now. I got it for PS3 and think it was a good decision. The PC version will come out at some point and Rockstar knows they would be stupid not to release a PC version and do it right this time. (Hopefully anyway). The best thing about getting it on consoles is the fact that it will be packed with players for a very long time. GTA Online is going to glorious and I cant wait. Its also nice to get away from the computer from time to time.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10445 Posts

yep, bought it, lovin' it.

will replay it on pc next year too. and...

tumblr_m2c01jXpHu1rqfhi2o1_500_zpscae9e9

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
I picked it up for ps3, its a great game and aside from all the jagged edges the game looks great. It really is a technological marvel on these old consoles.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts
i am waiting. i dont buy the same game twice so may as well hold out for the best version. there are plenty of games to get on with in the meantime (rome 2 should be ready next month :P, X in november, loads of games coming for the 3DS, a few for the vita). so tis no bother. i hope they do some big upgrades for it though. rumor has it there will be a PS4 and X1 version also so hopefully the upgrade is significant.
mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

I'm glad I'm not that picky. The game is fine as it is for me.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
I had/still have GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, IV, and the episodes for console and PC. If you're enjoying the game now, it was worth it, but also think how it may still be worth a re-buy if they 'un-limit' the Online to more than 16 players, the added possibility for modding, along with more of a native-1080P resolution. I bought GTA V on console to enjoy it now, but also the intention that I will get it again on PC. Plus, most of my friends have consoles, and not-quite-capable PC's for GTA IV, let-alone however much more system V might need.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

I have no option but to wait. I only have pc lol

The_Lipscomb
Same.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

just enjoy the game

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Nope. I did the same thing. As long as you can afford to do so, who the f*ck cares if other people think you pulled the trigger too soon. I'm loving every second of this game.
MasterNinja49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MasterNinja49
Member since 2008 • 461 Posts

Got GTAV at the midnight release for PS3 and don't regret it. I will buy the game once it hits PC cause there are flaws in GTAV graphics that are easily fixed Like AA, AF, 1080p, longer draw distance, would all go a long way to make GTAV so much more amazing looking.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
It's a great game. I don't use my PC to play multi-platform games so I really have no interest in a PC version.
Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
The GTA 4 port wasn't worth waiting for, the GTA 5 port won't be any different. It's not like Max Payne 3, where it was built individually for each platform.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
The GTA 4 port wasn't worth waiting for, the GTA 5 port won't be any different. It's not like Max Payne 3, where it was built individually for each platform.Mcspanky37
The GTA IV port just needed a lot more system than probably the average PC gamer had at the time. I had just upgraded my video card prior to it releasing and found the graphics enhanced, and the clip capture an excellent addition to the game. GTA IV only got better a few years later when I upgraded to a quad-core CPU, and a video card with enough memory to allow me to turn all the in-game settings up.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The GTA 4 port wasn't worth waiting for, the GTA 5 port won't be any different. It's not like Max Payne 3, where it was built individually for each platform.Mcspanky37

I'm pretty sure their not going to make another GTA 4, especially if the port is coming in around 6 months.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3226 Posts

I'm just going to wait for a PC release. While I do want to play the game right now, my PS3 only has 2 GB left in it and I don't want to upgrade for just one game since I'm done buying PS3 games. Plus I mostly like playing games on PC since I find it better. I don't really mind waiting for a while of the PC version of the game. I just hope it will run well.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
I do like GTA in general, but not to the point of OMG I MUST HAVE NOW!!! So waiting for GTAV to be released on PC is fine for me, got other games to play... sigh... stupid Steam sales...
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

plenty of good games out there man.

if you have a console, why wait? It is going to be a while.

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts
[QUOTE="Mcspanky37"]The GTA 4 port wasn't worth waiting for, the GTA 5 port won't be any different. It's not like Max Payne 3, where it was built individually for each platform.Stinger78
The GTA IV port just needed a lot more system than probably the average PC gamer had at the time. I had just upgraded my video card prior to it releasing and found the graphics enhanced, and the clip capture an excellent addition to the game. GTA IV only got better a few years later when I upgraded to a quad-core CPU, and a video card with enough memory to allow me to turn all the in-game settings up.

The performance was the least of my problems. It just wasn't well put together. The mouse integration was half-assed, with some weird ingame DPI cap (probably emulating a thumb sticks with a mouse), making it nigh impossible to do long-rang precision aiming (which was necessary in multiplayer). Also, you couldn't switch teams in multiplayer. Lame as ****.
DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts
I think if you like GTA game then you did the right choice because you can always buy it again, on the PC, when its on sale. Plus I think it gonna take awhile to get it to the PC anyway.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Personally, I would have preferred it on PC, but mainly because my monitor is better than my TV and I wanted to play GTA: O with my friends (who are either split between Xbox and PS3 versions and waiting for the PC version, or simply waiting for the PC version with more patience than I).

That said, the PC version won't come out for at least 6 months, and the game is damn amazing and worth playing now. It works perfectly on consoles, without any major issues that would normally arise from games that come out late in a generation (like Rockstar's own Bully on PS2, which very much stretched the PS2's limits), and it's good enough that I definitely see myself rebuying it in 6 months, especially since by then I'll have had an aching to go through the campaign again and would enjoy whatever additions they add, plus the chance to play with all my friends.

Plus, isn't that one of the main reasons we might own consoles? With a pricey gaming PC, you have most of your ground covered aside from the occasional game that refuses to work on your system, so if there's a game that is on consoles NOW and is truly amazing, it's not worth waiting if you already have the ability to play it and very much want to do so.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SPYDER0416

Doesn't look like the game will be on the PC until sometime during 2014 at this rate. I picked up the game on the PS3. It's a fantastic game and I don't regret picking it up now.

Waiting 6+ months to play the game would mean 6 months of not playing GTA V, which is unacceptable.

Wasdie

Also, this is pretty much the only justification anyone needs. As much as I'd love to play it on PC, I love using my PS3 too, and an extra 6 month wait when the game is out and everyone else is playing it is just way too much of an unnecessary wait.

If GTA Online does get a ton of content updates and DLC though, the PC version that I purchase down the road will be well worth the extra cash I put into rebuying GTA.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
I always buy the GTA games twice. I'm loving it on PS3 at the moment and 'll get it for PC for the inevitable ENB slap on.
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

warriorlax1234

??lol how old are u son? i own GTA 1 for PC......pop it in your CD stereo player and listen to the tunes from game's sound track!!

btw i have quite a back log so i am saving till i have finished this list of games. by then, if a Wii U or XBOX One version is out, i will grab that instead of XBOX 360 or PS3 ( i own all devices but not interested in PS4)

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

[QUOTE="warriorlax1234"]

Squeets

Isn't GTA-V also running at 25 to 30 FPS on consoles?
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Trade it in when it comes out for PC and use the money/store credit to buy that version...simple. I'm personally glad I bought it because I'll be playing the online with friends for a long time and I was super hyped for the game anyway. I'll be getting the PC version to keep in my collection once I've sold my 360.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Regret that I didn't buy the special edition, but I don't regret buying it for ps3. Always had a copy since 3 for the ps consoles.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Game isnt coming anytime soon for pc you made the right choice TC. I mean im thinking R* wont even announce it until next year if it is coming and even then it will probably be somewhere Q3 or Q4 so youd be playing the waiting game.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

[QUOTE="Squeets"]

[QUOTE="warriorlax1234"]

bonafidetk

Isn't GTA-V also running at 25 to 30 FPS on consoles?

Frame rate does drop at times but is generally stable. Ive noticed that it mainly happens if you have a really fast car and are well going really fast then the FPS can drop a bit(next to no pop in though) and not surprisingly having a flashlight mod(produces huge bright spotLight) on a gun can seriously tank the FPS at times but other than that its pretty stable at 30. When it does drop its not jarring really though its not like the game goes into slow motion or starts to skip around. The graphics are fantastic too on a technical and artistic lvl. The amount of detail that went into everything is just astounding.

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

I just bought it yesterday for ps3, couldn't wait, plus as others have said its one of the few games that goes good with the couch. I only have 2-3 hours in, but will fire it up first thing after work :)

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

warriorlax1234

pc version is always better than the console version, even if you have to wait 8 months for it. plus it's usually less expensive as well. so i go for the pc version, nine times out of ten, if i have that option.

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

I'm gonna hold off till the PS4 or PC versions are out.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts
I have ps3 and PC and I am really patient enough to wait for the superior version. Get on my level, fools.
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts

I'm gonna hold off till the PS4 or PC versions are out.

slimjimbadboy
This game should be played twice or even three times so why not play right now?
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

I planned to not buy it on consoles and wait for the inevitable PC version, but I took a ride on the hype train and couldn't wait 6 months or more.

GTA V is fantastic, easily the best game I played this year. Gameplay wise I don't think any other open world game comes close. Everything aspect of the game is so refined and the 3-character system works great. 

The only thing that is very meh indeed are the graphics, and I don't think that has to do with getting used to PC graphics, as I can easily go back to many older games without a problem. It's just a damn shame that GTA V has so many high quality assets that are ruined by the horrible draw distance and jaggies. It's amazing what GTA gets out of last gen hardware but I still feel like this game was made with next gen consoles and PC in mind. The game also fails to keep a steady framerate.

GTA V will easily be better on PC (if the port is any good) so I will buy and play it again on that.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SPYDER0416

I planned to not buy it on consoles and wait for the inevitable PC version, but I took a ride on the hype train and couldn't wait 6 months or more.

GTA V is fantastic, easily the best game I played this year. Gameplay wise I don't think any other open world game comes close. Everything aspect of the game is so refined and the 3-character system works great. 

The only thing that is very meh indeed are the graphics, and I don't think that has to do with getting used to PC graphics, as I can easily go back to many older games without a problem. It's just a damn shame that GTA V has so many high quality assets that are ruined by the horrible draw distance and jaggies. It's amazing what GTA gets out of last gen hardware but I still feel like this game was made with next gen consoles and PC in mind. The game also fails to keep a steady framerate.

GTA V will easily be better on PC (if the port is any good) so I will buy and play it again on that.

R4gn4r0k

I think GTA V is actually a gorgeous game, especially the vistas and water effects, plus small things (like flip flops actually flip flopping). It's just up close you notice stuff like textures being a bit flat and some rough aliasing, plus the occasional pop in.

Looking at all of Los Santos and feeling like it's this massive city on par with actual Los Angeles is a hell of a feat, especially since Rockstar didn't even try to make it massive, they just managed to make it "feel" massive.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46296 Posts

I think GTA V is actually a gorgeous game, especially the vistas and water effects, plus small things (like flip flops actually flip flopping). It's just up close you notice stuff like textures being a bit flat and some rough aliasing, plus the occasional pop in.

Looking at all of Los Santos and feeling like it's this massive city on par with actual Los Angeles is a hell of a feat, especially since Rockstar didn't even try to make it massive, they just managed to make it "feel" massive.

SPYDER0416

I absolutely agree with that. The vistas and water are great looking. Sometimes I find these things in game that absolutely amaze me, like how detailed the roads are and how they reflect headlights, for being on such ancient hardware. I noticed those flip flops too.

Rode up the highest mountain with a Sanchez today and I just stood there looking at the sights. The game also has a great color palette, many games try to downplay colors in order to make it look more realistic, when working with older hardware. I'm glad GTA didn't do that, no in fact, GTA V looks a lot better than those games.

But the looks of the game are hampered by the hardware, there is no denying that. I notice a lot of jaggies and everything at a distance loses detail really fast. It's hard to tell which car is coming at you from a distance: is it a sports car ? or is it a normal car ? You'll have to wait and see when it gets closer.

I can not wait to see what this will look like on PC and hopefully next gen consoles too. Because those are really the only downsides of the game for me: the draw distance, aliasing and frame drops. The rest of the game is amazing.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
This won't be coming out on the PC because the next gen consoles are right around the corner and Rockstar has a reputation of selling their game exclusively on consoles. Second point is, the next-gen system is more powerful than 90% of PC gamers rigs anyway, so they will probably not even bother with it.