This topic is locked from further discussion.

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#251 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

[QUOTE="silversix_"]

they were on sale for 100$ and i wanted something light so i just grabbed them. Was thinking of returning them and get the HD558.

ChubbyGuy40

Pretty sure the 558s are identical in sound to the 555s, and I'm enjoying my Monoprice earbuds a hell of a lot more than my 555s. Even with stock tips, they're that damn good for music. Gaming is good too, but I think the 555s has better spatial (positional? forget the correct term) sound so depending on the game I might switch them out.

Here's a comparison with the HD598 included.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

Anybody got a good suggestion for a pair of headphones around the $100-$150 mark? I like over-the-ear, and they will be strictly for PC gaming, I can buy a clip-on mic if needed. Also, will I need a sound card to fully appreciate them?

Reason I'm asking this question is I'm wondering if the OP is up to date.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Anybody got a good suggestion for a pair of headphones around the $100-$150 mark? I like over-the-ear, and they will be strictly for PC gaming, I can buy a clip-on mic if needed. Also, will I need a sound card to fully appreciate them?

Plagueless
HD 558 wouldn't be a bad choice. If you don't mind extra bass audio technica M50 isn't a bad choice.
kai_311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 kai_311
Member since 2004 • 444 Posts

Plagueless
+1 on the M50 been using them for more than a year but if you're only using it for gaming, I recommend the ATH-AD700 or AKG K240. Both will definitely work best on a decent sound card or external DAC.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 kraken2109
[QUOTE="Plagueless"]

kai_311
+1 on the M50 been using them for more than a year but if you're only using it for gaming, I recommend the ATH-AD700 or AKG K240. Both will definitely work best on a decent sound card or external DAC.

I tried the M50s the other day, way too much bass for mixing but I bet they're fun for gaming
kai_311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 kai_311
Yes they are fun headphones. I mostly use it for single player games but for competitive gaming I don't use it. It doesn't have the soundstage that I'm looking for.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Creative Aurvana Live! are known for being great with gaming. Don't get the M50's, NOO, I saw a post recently, saying M50's were overhyped and forgot to show Kraken(I think it was him who challenged me to a M50 thing)..

kai_311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 kai_311

M50's are a good pair of headphones specially for its price. It is overhyped for a good reason but the problem lies when some compares it to higher end headphones that they haven't tried, saying that the m50s are the only headphones that you need. Now, that statement has some truth into it but only when comparing to a more expensive celebrity headphones like Beats. When you compare it to higher end, hi fi, audiophile headphones there are better out there specially if you move up the price range.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 Wolfetan

M50's are a good pair of headphones specially for its price. It is overhyped for a good reason but the problem lies when some compares it to higher end headphones that they haven't tried, saying that the m50s are the only headphones that you need. Now, that statement has some truth into it but only when comparing to a more expensive celebrity headphones like Beats. When you compare it to higher end, hi fi, audiophile headphones there are better out there specially if you move up the price range.

kai_311
I mean, the DT770 absolutely destroys the M50's.. Albeit $30 more on Amazon, but not that much more.
kai_311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 kai_311
Absolutely destroys? Do you own both and put a lot of hours into it? You make it sound like its a horrible headphones. I had mine for more than a year now. Comparing it with my DT880/250 premium, the beyer is better in a lot of ways but SQ wise it doesn't make me go WOW. It actually complements each other by having a closed and semi-open headphones. Now I'm not an audiophile person, I only have a few headphones including the SR80i and K-240 but I do trust reviews by these people who had way more experience with different headphones. http://youtu.be/xxccWj1jNTU http://youtu.be/1kW851TSwOQ
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#261 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts
[QUOTE="kai_311"]Absolutely destroys? Do you own both and put a lot of hours into it? You make it sound like its a horrible headphones. I had mine for more than a year now. Comparing it with my DT880/250 premium, the beyer is better in a lot of ways but SQ wise it doesn't make me go WOW. It actually complements each other by having a closed and semi-open headphones.

It seems rather normal that he uses the word "destroys" for things that are subtle and even subjective.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Wolfetan
Comparing it with my DT880/250 premium, the beyer is better in a lot of ways but SQ wise it doesn't make me go WOW. kai_311
Just proved my point.
kai_311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 kai_311
[QUOTE="kai_311"] Comparing it with my DT880/250 premium, the beyer is better in a lot of ways but SQ wise it doesn't make me go WOW. Wolfetan
Just proved my point.

What point? That a $250 headphones didn't impress me that much compared to $130 headphones? Ok...
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="kai_311"] Comparing it with my DT880/250 premium, the beyer is better in a lot of ways but SQ wise it doesn't make me go WOW. kai_311
Just proved my point.

What point? That a $250 headphones didn't impress me that much compared to $130 headphones? Ok...

Oh.. I got my DT880/250 for $175.. Deal finder over here.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

So I bought a sound card and it is working famously with my speakers. I love it! Nevertheless, the ROCCAT Kave Solid 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset i.e. the very reason I bought a sound card, has constant static noise coming from the headset and it is driving me nuts. I have contacted ROCCAT support and they responded in 11 minutes (I was impressed) with a thorough email which unfortunately didn't help much. I sent them another email but would now like to consult the GameSpot community as well as I would really like to use my headset. Thanks in advance, guys!

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-bit
Product: ROCCAT Solid 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset
Driver: "Please note: The ROCCAT Kave, including the Remote Control, is designed to work with your operating system without additional drivers."

-----------------------------

Hello,

I bought the ROCCAT Solid 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset just yesterday along with the Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 PCI-e Sound Card. I love the headset's design and what not, but the constant static noise is beyond annoying. I have tried every available PCI-e slot in my Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 motherboard but the static noise simply won't go away. Playing with the dials on the desktop remote doesn't help either. The static does increase or decrease when I shift the headset's cable around but never fully goes away and I don't see why I constantly need to play around with the cables on a 65£ headset when I didn't need to on my previous 40£ headset. I have tested the sound card using my speakers and it works just fine so kindly advise on how to get rid of the static noise in my headset. Thank you.

Kind regards,
*****Hexagon_777

Hello *****,

Thanks for choosing the ROCCAT Kave.

This phenomenon can happen with surround headsets that are not only connected to the PC via USB, but also via an analog input (jack plug). This sound is in fact caused by an electromagnetic pulse that occurs when an electrical current runs through metal. These unwanted audio signals can occur if the components in your computer such as your sound card, fan, graphic card, etc. are close together.

Some sound cards have an option that can counteract this problem called "PC Beep". Please have a look at your audio settings, which you can find in the system management or in your sound cards driver.

Heres an example of the option you need, which you can find with a simple online search:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/345503905_ea309b0393.jpg?v=0

http://ipggi.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/pc_beep.jpg

You could also try using a different USB port.

Another possible source of the problem: If theres a cordless telephone or base station near the Kave (i.e. on your desk), the radio signal might be creating interference. If this is the case, please pick a more distant position for it.

You can also have a look at your Control Panel under Sounds (or at your sound cards driver). If theres a flag entitled Digital E/A, make sure it's turned off.

Feel free to write to me again if anything is unclear or if you need further assistance.

Viele Grüße / Kind regards,

Andi Wulff

Technical SupportROCCAT Support

Hi,

Thank you for the hasty response and explanation.

I have spent the last two or so hours looking for the "PC Beep" option in Windows 7 but to no avail. I looked in my sound card's driver as well as system management but simply couldn't find it. An online search for the option didn't result in anything either. I did try using different USB ports already but again no luck. Finding the "Digital E/A" option was impossible as well. Please advise.

Kind regards,
*****Hexagon_777

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 kraken2109

^Wait is it plugged in with USB or analogue jacks?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 Hexagon_777

^Wait is it plugged in with USB or analogue jacks?

kraken2109

cbbe7aa34fe96073f8ff73b335297db9.jpg

The USB connection is only for power. Everything else is for sound.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

It's not of much relevence since this was an issue with a specific card, but my X-Fi Forte had an awful time with buzzing and noise. I found one suggestion online that was a total ghetto fix. You tape off (electrical/masking/something like that) the bracket on the outside so it doesn't touch the case. Apparently this card had a grounding issue which was causing all sorts of problems. I was surprised when it actually worked and hasn't had a single buzz since. It's totally quiet now.

Can always try that trick. No clue if it'll work but it won't damage the card. Only other thing I could think of is your mobo somehow supplying dirty power or something through USB.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 Hexagon_777

It's not of much relevence since this was an issue with a specific card, but my X-Fi Forte had an awful time with buzzing and noise. I found one suggestion online that was a total ghetto fix. You tape off (electrical/masking/something like that) the bracket on the outside so it doesn't touch the case. Apparently this card had a grounding issue which was causing all sorts of problems. I was surprised when it actually worked and hasn't had a single buzz since. It's totally quiet now.

Can always try that trick. No clue if it'll work but it won't damage the card. Only other thing I could think of is your mobo somehow supplying dirty power or something through USB.

ChubbyGuy40

I bought some ferrite beads so I'll have to see if those actually work. Won't be able to test this for a while, though. Thank you for your input!

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 Plagueless

What would you guys recommend as the best pairs of headphones for under $120? Just wondering if anything new has come out since the list was made.

I've been eyeing the Sennheiser HD518's, are they a good pair for my budget?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 Hexagon_777

What would you guys recommend as the best pairs of headphones for under $120? Just wondering if anything new has come out since the list was made.Plagueless
The ROCCAT Kave Solid 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset is pretty great. :D

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Plagueless

[QUOTE="Plagueless"]What would you guys recommend as the best pairs of headphones for under $120? Just wondering if anything new has come out since the list was made.Hexagon_777

That looks nice, but I was thinking about something more like studio headphones. I actually listen to music more than I play games, often over my games, and I don't play a lot of competitive games where I need to hear every pin drop in the game.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Plagueless"]What would you guys recommend as the best pairs of headphones for under $120? Just wondering if anything new has come out since the list was made.Plagueless

That looks nice, but I was thinking about something more like studio headphones. I actually listen to music more than I play games, often over my games, and I don't play a lot of competitive games where I need to hear every pin drop in the game.

I actually think I use mine for music more, both while gaming or when doing other stuff. I adore them!

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Wolfetan

What would you guys recommend as the best pairs of headphones for under $120? Just wondering if anything new has come out since the list was made.

I've been eyeing the Sennheiser HD518's, are they a good pair for my budget?

Plagueless
http://www.amazon.com/KRK-KNS8400-Studio-Headphones/dp/B004ARUO2S/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361411950&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=KRK+8440 A little over though.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#275 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

hat looks nice, but I was thinking about something more like studio headphones. I actually listen to music more than I play games, often over my games, and I don't play a lot of competitive games where I need to hear every pin drop in the game.Plagueless

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Surround-Professional-Headphones/product-reviews/B00101UHS8/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_2?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=2&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

$119.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 kraken2109
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

[QUOTE="Plagueless"]What would you guys recommend as the best pairs of headphones for under $120? Just wondering if anything new has come out since the list was made.Plagueless

Are you after open back (like the senn 5xx series) or closed back?
Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 Plagueless
[QUOTE="Plagueless"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]The ROCCAT Kave Solid 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset is pretty great. :Dkraken2109

Don't really care either way, though the place where I'll be using them most is at my desk, with pretty much no one else around, so I think open back would be better for the better quality.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Plagueless"] That looks nice, but I was thinking about something more like studio headphones. I actually listen to music more than I play games, often over my games, and I don't play a lot of competitive games where I need to hear every pin drop in the game.Plagueless

Don't really care either way, though the place where I'll be using them most is at my desk, with pretty much no one else around, so I think open back would be better for the better quality.

I agree, I much prefer open back cans.

Maybe you can stretch to HD558s? Or find the older models which are still great like the 555 or 595.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 Plagueless

[QUOTE="Plagueless"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] Are you after open back (like the senn 5xx series) or closed back?kraken2109

I agree, I much prefer open back cans.

Maybe you can stretch to HD558s? Or find the older models which are still great like the 555 or 595.

Nah, I'm pretty broke at the moment, so the price was pretty concrete. I went ahead and ordered the 518's, every review I'd seen said they were great for the price, and they were on sale at Amazon for $108. I'm no audiophile, in fact the reason I'm getting these is to replace my sh** $30 logitech usb headset, so I'm pretty sure I won't be dissapointed.
Avatar image for WonderfulTonite
WonderfulTonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 WonderfulTonite
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts

I've narrowed it down to two ATH-M50 for $120~ or the  Sennheiser HD598 for $220.  The price difference is big but is the extra difference in sound quality that HD598 delivers worth the extra money?  Would the average person even tell a difference between the two?

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 Wolfetan

I've narrowed it down to two ATH-M50 for $120~ or the  Sennheiser HD598 for $220.  The price difference is big but is the extra difference in sound quality that HD598 delivers worth the extra money?  Would the average person even tell a difference between the two?

WonderfulTonite
I'd say it would be a good upgrade from the HD598.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 kraken2109

WonderfulTonite
They're quite different headphones, the major difference being that the AT are closed back and the Senns are open back
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#283 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
Do you guys think the JVC HA-RX700 is a good upgrade from the Sennheiser 202 II?
Avatar image for WonderfulTonite
WonderfulTonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 WonderfulTonite
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts

[QUOTE="WonderfulTonite"]

kraken2109

They're quite different headphones, the major difference being that the AT are closed back and the Senns are open back

Ah didn't know that thanks for clarifying. I definitely want open back since  I'll be listening to stuff in quiet envrionments and use different headphones for gym.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="WonderfulTonite"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="WonderfulTonite"]

WonderfulTonite

Ah didn't know that thanks for clarifying. I definitely want open back since  I'll be listening to stuff in quiet envrionments and use different headphones for gym.

HD598 it is then..
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] They're quite different headphones, the major difference being that the AT are closed back and the Senns are open backWolfetan

HD598 it is then..

They're also far comfier than the M50s
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 Chiddaling
Do you guys think the JVC HA-RX700 is a good upgrade from the Sennheiser 202 II?Chiddaling
I'm still waiting for a reply D;
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 Wolfetan

Returned me Mad Dogs, too big for portable use. Planning to get Unique Melody Miracles. If anybody is bored, I'm open to suggestions on color choices. http://www.custom-iem.com/designer/includes/designer.php One thing to include, I am stuck on getting a wood insert. I love wood on my headphones so that is a no-brainer for me. I'd love some different designs to look at, thanks!

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 kraken2109
[QUOTE="Chiddaling"]Do you guys think the JVC HA-RX700 is a good upgrade from the Sennheiser 202 II?Chiddaling

What is your budget?
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 Chiddaling
[QUOTE="Chiddaling"][QUOTE="Chiddaling"]Do you guys think the JVC HA-RX700 is a good upgrade from the Sennheiser 202 II?kraken2109

What is your budget?

Around $60-70 CAD. I'd like to stick with purchasing from Amazon.ca since I have a few gift cards with them.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 kraken2109
[QUOTE="Chiddaling"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Chiddaling"] I'm still waiting for a reply D;

What is your budget?

Around $60-70 CAD. I'd like to stick with purchasing from Amazon.ca since I have a few gift cards with them.

I had a quick look on amazon.ca, i didn't see much from the 'good' brands for that price, so the JVC is probably a good choice.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Just curious,what would be a proper upgrade to a pair of HD555?(without breaking the bank :P)

And would I need a proper amp, got a Xonar Essence STX or could use my Denon DRA-397.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 kraken2109

Just curious,what would be a proper upgrade to a pair of HD555?(without breaking the bank :P)

And would I need a proper amp, got a Xonar Essence STX or could use my Denon DRA-397.

MonsieurX
Well what would you want to do with this 'upgrade'? Music? Films? Gaming? Mixing?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 MonsieurX
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]

kraken2109
Well what would you want to do with this 'upgrade'? Music? Films? Gaming? Mixing?

Let's say 70% music and 30% gaming
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 kraken2109
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]

MonsieurX

What kind of music? Do you have any complaints about your current headphones?
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 MonsieurX
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] Well what would you want to do with this 'upgrade'? Music? Films? Gaming? Mixing?

Mostly into rock and sub-genres of it. No complaints currently,maybe more bass. I was just curious
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 kraken2109
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"] Let's say 70% music and 30% gaming

Mostly into rock and sub-genres of it. No complaints currently,maybe more bass. I was just curious

Well your current headphones are pretty good, so unless you have a real reason to I wouldn't bother replacing them unless they break. To get an improvement would be expensive.
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 Chiddaling
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Chiddaling"][QUOTE="kraken2109"] What is your budget?

I had a quick look on amazon.ca, i didn't see much from the 'good' brands for that price, so the JVC is probably a good choice.

Okay thanks, I'm gonna go ahead and purchase them!
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 Wolfetan

Maybe the Beyer DT990.Â