This topic is locked from further discussion.

alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alien_science
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
What does everyone think of the idea for a Harry Potter RPG? The single player could incorporate all of the books in detail and provide 100+ hours of game play while multi-player could allow for the player to develop their own Harry Potter in the world of wizards. I'm all up for spreading the idea to developers, it could really help potentiate the series. Who's up for starting a collective? It might go somewhere.
bloodreaperfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 bloodreaperfx
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts
Meh. I'm not such a big fan of Harry Potter tbh, but I guess it depends on what kind of game we're talking about. If its a darker, more gritty game, kindda like American McGee's Alice, while keeping the disturbing content to a level which is overall faithfull to the books, sure. If it has the same atmosphere as the first few HP games, then no. Also, RPG games are all about choices and how one develops the main character. If the game stays faithful to the books, then the story and conclusion is pretty much set in stone. Not many choices to make hm? You might squeeze a few from side quests or original content but overall, you know what happens in the game. You know the ending, no matter what you do. Without those elements, along with some skill/character costumization, you pretty much end up with a Action/Adventure game, not really a RPG.
alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alien_science
The single player would definately stick to the books, but to multiplayer would allow the player to create their own character and play throughout their wizarding career as their own wizard.
bloodreaperfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bloodreaperfx
Thats like...2 different modules using the same game engine. A singleplayer storyline covering all books + a multiplayer campaign, content, pvp probably, some sort of PVE using a party and such (RPG stuff). On top of that, add the licenses, actor voices, development, support......and you get one helluva expensive and improbable game :P I think a compromise betwen the two would be better. Maybe add some original content to the Harry Potter universe, using original characters. Then the story would be up to the player, multiplayer would be easy, you get what kind of wizard you want to be, dialogue choices and maybe aligment (good/bad) and faction choices.
alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alien_science
It would be worth it, and just as entertaining as the movies.
LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 LUMIN4RY
Member since 2011 • 416 Posts

Sure, if it's done well.

bballer1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bballer1024
Member since 2009 • 214 Posts

Star Wars and Lord of The Rings alresdy have mmo rpgs so Harry Potter should come down the road I think and I would love it if there was one.

bloodreaperfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bloodreaperfx

Star Wars and Lord of The Rings alresdy have mmo rpgs so Harry Potter should come down the road I think and I would love it if there was one.

bballer1024

Neither of them follow the books to the letter, using predefined characters, dialogues, choices and endings. Those are the very definition of a role playing game. Without them, you end up with a graphic novel.

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

ive been wanting one for a while

alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 alien_science
Well, I'm working on it. Completely un-licsensed and with only a few years of 3d modeling under my belt. But it'll come along. Anyone care to join? I'd hate to get into it only to have it bought out by some big company like blizzard.
jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jettpack

Well, I'm working on it. Completely un-licsensed and with only a few years of 3d modeling under my belt. But it'll come along. Anyone care to join? I'd hate to get into it only to have it bought out by some big company like blizzard. alien_science
i can do 2d art if you need any!

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I'm surprised there hasn't been one at this point already. I definitely think it sounds like a good idea.
alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 alien_science
That'd be great jetpack. If you could draw up some 2d enviornments/characters, it'd be perfect for where the games at now. I imagine rough sketches, with color shading in a somewhat dark setting, but it has to seem like they are environments that are meant to be explored and altered by an aging boy as that is what the book is all about; overcoming darkness/evil etc etc. They also need to be very magical. I picture the Harry Potter world like I would college to an extent. It needs to have a very inspiring perspective while maintaining an appeal similar to the books/movies. I've already got a rough design that I'll be posting at the end of this post. Once it's elaborated, we can come up with a storyboard and start the 3d modeling. In retrospect, if we get enough people working on what, we can have a full portfolio/proposal by the end of the year with a working beta of hogwarts and such. I was thinking about doing a 3d flash game with Adobe's new engine, but might have to put that on hold. If we can group enoug skilled people to work on certain aspects of the final game though, I think a simple flash game would be a great way to get our company out there. Harry Potter RPG: Single Player: -Follow each of the 7 books in sequence with Harry as the main character. -100+ hours of gameplay (roughly 15 hours per book) -Include all environments; hogwarts, hogsmeade, forbidden forest, private drive, diagon alley, etc -Include sub games like quidditch, skill upgrading, dueling, etc -Possible sandbox gameplay, but needs to follow set story line -It would be great if we could get the actual movie actors to do voiceovers/motion capture and use their models in game *feel free to add Multiplayer: -MMORPG style -Players would creat their own character and profile; house, class, etc -The game would continue up to the end of their 7 year curriculum as the books have not been expanded upon beyond that and I doubt JK would approve the story to be faceted by a videogame -Huge world of Hogwarts and all environments in the book; possible expansion of places that were written very little about; dragons in Egypt, etc
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
An open world harry potter RPG somewhat like a Bethesda game could be absolutely fantastic.
alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 alien_science
That's what I was thinking, something like oblivion. But I would want the game to have a mode where you stick to the storyline. That's why I figured the single player should be the way it is. The multiplayer would allow for greater exploration, but I want to stay away from the 'skill grinding' aspect many MMORPGs play as. Ideally, the single player should allow for total immersion into the Harry Potter world while the multiplayer would be more of an exploration/evironment type game where the player feels like they are actually a student at Hogwarts or fighting off trolls.
jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jettpack

I'm surprised there hasn't been one at this point already. I definitely think it sounds like a good idea. raven_squad
i know right! they have one practically built for them. spells and loot and everything

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jettpack

That'd be great jetpack. If you could draw up some 2d enviornments/characters, it'd be perfect for where the games at now. I imagine rough sketches, with color shading in a somewhat dark setting, but it has to seem like they are environments that are meant to be explored and altered by an aging boy as that is what the book is all about; overcoming darkness/evil etc etc. They also need to be very magical. I picture the Harry Potter world like I would college to an extent. It needs to have a very inspiring perspective while maintaining an appeal similar to the books/movies. I've already got a rough design that I'll be posting at the end of this post. Once it's elaborated, we can come up with a storyboard and start the 3d modeling. In retrospect, if we get enough people working on what, we can have a full portfolio/proposal by the end of the year with a working beta of hogwarts and such. I was thinking about doing a 3d flash game with Adobe's new engine, but might have to put that on hold. If we can group enoug skilled people to work on certain aspects of the final game though, I think a simple flash game would be a great way to get our company out there. Harry Potter RPG: Single Player: -Follow each of the 7 books in sequence with Harry as the main character. -100+ hours of gameplay (roughly 15 hours per book) -Include all environments; hogwarts, hogsmeade, forbidden forest, private drive, diagon alley, etc -Include sub games like quidditch, skill upgrading, dueling, etc -Possible sandbox gameplay, but needs to follow set story line -It would be great if we could get the actual movie actors to do voiceovers/motion capture and use their models in game *feel free to add Multiplayer: -MMORPG style -Players would creat their own character and profile; house, class, etc -The game would continue up to the end of their 7 year curriculum as the books have not been expanded upon beyond that and I doubt JK would approve the story to be faceted by a videogame -Huge world of Hogwarts and all environments in the book; possible expansion of places that were written very little about; dragons in Egypt, etcalien_science
Yo, if you are serious about this email me at jettpack@gmail.com and we'll talk.

Shinjikami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shinjikami
Member since 2009 • 43 Posts

I'd love a Harry Potter RPG. But I don't know who would I give it to. Because Harry Potter games usually don't live up to the expectations. =(.

Raxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Raxzor
Member since 2003 • 5399 Posts

Would you be at Hogwarts? Who would be the bad guy? Harry Potter is set in modern Britain would that make for a good open-ended world?

I think a RPG set in Narnia would be a hell of a lot better. They could set it after the books and your start off as a child going into the wardrobe and you age in Narnia there is a much wider scope of RPG elements in the Narnia Universe.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Would you be at Hogwarts? Who would be the bad guy? Harry Potter is set in modern Britain would that make for a good open-ended world?

I think a RPG set in Narnia would be a hell of a lot better. They could set it after the books and your start off as a child going into the wardrobe and you age in Narnia there is a much wider scope of RPG elements in the Narnia Universe.

Raxzor
Harry Potter RPG seems like a good idea. The Hogwart Castle would be open world and you could travel to differente places of the castle, and even, go to Hogsmeade, either by trips like or taking the secret passages. I myself want something like that: the sorting hat chooses your house, you go to lessons, learn spell, do duels, help other students, go to the Forbidden Forest...
Shinjikami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shinjikami
Member since 2009 • 43 Posts
But on the subject of a MMO, i don't think that would work. I mean, you're only going to Hogwars for 7 years, so I guess there's no objective there. An RPG where you could choose being one the four houses with their respective personalities would be preferable. Maybe that you aid Harry Potter in your own Griffindorf/Slytherin/Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw way.
alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 alien_science
I'm sure it could work with a lot of tweaking and specifics. The game could be designed so that you end up creating your own wizard, and then go on to work in the ministry of magic, etc etc. I'm going to make a group for this if anyone is interested; let me know.
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

The market is flooded with MMOs already, but good luck!

Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts
I had Chamber of Secrets on the xbox and it played very similar to Zelda, if you consider that an RPG.
brandon2802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 brandon2802
Member since 2004 • 1773 Posts
The Harry Potter universe is perfect for some sort of game. I would never want to play as one of the main characters but maybe a student in the same year has Harry Potter and you have to deal with stuff while he is off saving the world. They could just make up their own story and set it either before the books or after. There is a lot that can be used. Probably not a MMO but a RPG could work well.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

its a matter of time before we hear harry potter mmorpg, with the devs lacking imagination its amatter of time before we see smurfs mmorpg

alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 alien_science
That's why I'm trying to get a portfolio up for this game. If I think we can at least get a portfolio up before the pottermore website debuts, we would have great publication oppertunites as millions of people will be logging in and if they see an adequate portfolio, it may even catch the attention of some developers. Particularly EA.
jernas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 jernas
Member since 2005 • 1514 Posts

I like the idea of open-world Harry Potter game with a lot of freedom and everything but what I am truly waiting for is an open-world Dragon Ball Z multiplayer action game. Now that would be something...

alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 alien_science
I just feel a Harry Potter RPG would really fit well into where the series is at atm. With all of the movies and books being done (and the previous games being "sub-par" at best), a full feature single player campaign would only add to the already diverse medium base that Harry Potter is portryaed in; as well as make a lasting impression. The multiplayer could also open the story for people as induviduals experiencing Hogwarts for themselves as the book series has been un-officially ended. Maybe it would help the story live on. If you are interested in helping out with the portfolio, feel free to PM me. I'll take all of the help and ideas I can get. Make sure to head your PM as 'Harry Potter RPG'. I'll take help from anyone with programming, sketching, modeling, animating, design, skills etc. If we can get a good portfolio up by the time the pottermore website launches, were bound to expand our support base. I'm working on some 3d models now and should have a couple renders up by the end of the week. Stay tuned for more updates/
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I'm pretty sure I read that people have suggested an MMO to the author but she refused. She's basically done writing the stories, but at the same time she won't allow any media (game, movie, etc.) to expand the story unless she writes it. She's very protective of it.

alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 alien_science
That's an interesting point (post above). While I'd like to keep the single player completely story-line scripted, the MMO wouldn't necessarily expand on the series. Instead, it would exist within it. The player's character would be just like any other student at Hogwarts, and the adventures and stories the same; all within the realms of the books. I don't think creating a new or more harry potter would even be interesting, especially if it's from a different author. This is just an idea atm, but it's coming together. Feel free to submit any opinions or tips you may have.
SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

I think a Harry Potter RPG would be awesome. Being able to explore all of Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, and everywhere else in the wizarding world would be quite amazing. Leveling up your character and unlocking new spells, items, and more sounds awesome too. The world is rich and big enough to have an RPG based on it.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

That's an interesting point (post above). While I'd like to keep the single player completely story-line scripted, the MMO wouldn't necessarily expand on the series. Instead, it would exist within it. The player's character would be just like any other student at Hogwarts, and the adventures and stories the same; all within the realms of the books. I don't think creating a new or more harry potter would even be interesting, especially if it's from a different author. This is just an idea atm, but it's coming together. Feel free to submit any opinions or tips you may have.alien_science

Yeah but someone still has to write the story for all those little side quests and such. Even if it's just you creating your wizard and going through your 7 years of wizard school, the books don't have every little detail. Someone would have to flesh it out. I think JK Rowling is against that unless she wrote it herself, but she has said the story begins and ends with Harry Potter. If they redid the Harry Potter games to be AAA games that would be pretty cool. I have nothing against your idea. I just think it's a waste of time to put any time into it when there's a really good chance nothing will come of it. I guess that's why I'm an engineer instead of an inventor hehe. =)

alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 alien_science
That makes sense James. I guess we'll have to see where it goes. It would definately take some self/in-game design to create side quests and all. Even if EA were to approve it (big 'IF'), I don' t think they have creative licsense. Then again, the up and coming 'James Potter' book is said to be from a different author than JK herself. Either way, I wouldn't want it to stray to far away from the Harry Potter storyline.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I actually got a little excited here, i thought a Harry Potter RPG was announced or something. Thanks for the deceiving title..

alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 alien_science
Hey, there's always hope.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I would enjoy a Harry Potter game. Someone just actually needs to take the time to make a good one which incorporates the story.
adamlynch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 adamlynch
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts

There was a Harry Potter RPG on the GameBoy Color.

supimzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 supimzach
Someone drew on the fact that it may be limited to the confiments of the castle, I believe if you were to make the most of this game, you should probably make it not about Harry Potter as such, but rather about the Wizarding World as a whole. J.K Rowling's provided the necessary resources to make this project the best it can be. She's created a culture within the world of the story itself that can be twisted and turned and grown at command of the producer. I am 100% on board with this idea, I've actually thought it'd be an excellent idea for quite some time. There's a huge fan base, and massive market out there that would be eager to try this game. I'm new to this site so message me or something? -Zach
alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alien_science
As of right now, only the simple design and work-team has been 'created'. I don't necessarily have any motive in whining about not having a Harry Potter RPG/MMO, so I figured 'why not make one'. That's where we are at right now. What I hope to have do is create a portfolio with things like sketches, design plans, renders, etc and compile it in time for the pottermore release. If they have a community section (like a forum or social networking system), we could spread the portfolio to almost everyone who is a die hard fan and get their opinions on it. If all goes well, it would be submitted to EA and hopefully accepted. I live about 45 minutes away from the Mythic (EA's studio for MMORPGS) and would not only love to travel back and forth working on the game, but could easily do so. So, with all that said; let me ask for some help: It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could support. The following items are what we need to work with at first: -Sketches,blueprints,GUI (any and all formats) -Producers (not official ones, but people willing to post the finished portfolio where they can) -Ideas (please keep them close to the original game design - single player in hogwarts as harry, all seven books + MMO self made character, normal 7 year term, the MMO is open for most ideas) -any other helpful tips or comments you may have I'm in the process of setting up my modeling station and should have a couple renders very very soon. If this kicks off, we can create a gamespot group for the project. Again, I really think having enough material ready for pottermore is going to help us. Whether it be to get the game approved, or just encourage developers. Most importantly, this all needs to be done right. Feel free to PM me with anything you might have to say.
supimzach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 supimzach
ah, yeah what i have to say is a bit too big for a PM haha i sent you my email, so send me a message and i'll add my report to it. look forward to working on this
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

I'm just ready for Harry to die off. Tired of seeing the little **** tbh :P. I highly doubt it will make a good game, much less an RPG.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#43 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
[QUOTE="Raxzor"]

Miroku32
Harry Potter RPG seems like a good idea. The Hogwart Castle would be open world and you could travel to differente places of the castle, and even, go to Hogsmeade, either by trips like or taking the secret passages. I myself want something like that: the sorting hat chooses your house, you go to lessons, learn spell, do duels, help other students, go to the Forbidden Forest...

hell yeah. this sounds great. im trying to learn C++ as best as i can, so maybe in a year or so i could join in on the project :lol:
alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 alien_science

Man, it's been a while since I've done any 3d modeling. This took me about an hour to make and it's par at best. I was able to get some bump mapping and layed out the UVs myself though. Just a preview:

Simple Broom Render

If you can't tell what it is, it's a broom at 3 different angles. Ahhh, tutorial time =)

Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts
Harry Potter MMORPG would be pretty cool...
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
An open world harry potter RPG somewhat like a Bethesda game could be absolutely fantastic. CosmoKing7717
I completely agree, as well as to the fact that developers should look into making a Harry Potter MMORPG. If done well, it could be both fantastic and would undoubtedly sell very, VERY well.
alien_science

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 alien_science

I got some more test renders done, let me know what you all think.

They enlarge when you click on them. I know they are all very amateur right now, but I've only spent about an hour on each. It's been a while since I've modeled anything.

soufan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 soufan123
Member since 2007 • 734 Posts

I think this is an absolute BRILLIANT idea. When I first read about the idea on IGN, I seriously thought this could be a massive hit if it was done right. The Harry Potter universe is so massive and diverse that even if they implemented new ideas into the universe, it could pass as always being there. Sure the solo campaign could stick to the original story, but the MMORPG portion could focus on everything but that.

Imagine starting out, creating a wizard, and somewhere down the line deciding whether you want to side with Voldemort and his Death Eaters (Dark Side) or The Order of the Pheonix (Good Side). Then, implement WoW-type raids and such based on what side you choose.

This could work.

sami117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sami117
Member since 2008 • 650 Posts

What does everyone think of the idea for a Harry Potter RPG? The single player could incorporate all of the books in detail and provide 100+ hours of game play while multi-player could allow for the player to develop their own Harry Potter in the world of wizards. I'm all up for spreading the idea to developers, it could really help potentiate the series. Who's up for starting a collective? It might go somewhere.alien_science

that minus the multiplayer sounds cool