GTX 780 In Mid-May; Nearly Identical to Titan Performance For Half The Price

• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

[QUOTE="acanofcoke"]This stupid thread now has given me the itch to upgrade!!! I was originally going to wait until the 800's but don't think i'll be able to as I've got some good money coming in at the moment that I might put aside for MOAR POWA!! Stupid damn thread... FaustArp

Haha, I put the thought in your head.  :P  Lol.

At 1440p you can put it to use I'd think.  I ordered a 1600p monitor yesterday, very curious to see how much more HP is required for these higher resolutions.

Speaking of which, did you notice a big jump in graphics quality when you went higher-res?

Id imagine it would balance out again. You dont need to run as much AA @ 1600p as everything would look far sharper. Jelly of your stuff. damn 1600p is near 2K here in Aus, especially for that HP you were looking at.
FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts

[QUOTE="acanofcoke"]This stupid thread now has given me the itch to upgrade!!! I was originally going to wait until the 800's but don't think i'll be able to as I've got some good money coming in at the moment that I might put aside for MOAR POWA!! Stupid damn thread... Ben-Buja

Do you seriously consider upgrading from SLI 680s so soon? Is there even a game that took full advantage of your GPUs, even at 2560x1440?

This is the only computer hardware forum I've ever been to in which there seem to be large numbers of people apparently unaware that computer hardware is a hobby to some folks...

And also, I'm sure there are games that can use that power @1440p.  I couldn't keep 60 FPS locked in Crysis 3 with 2x 680 @1080p.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 darksusperia

[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

[QUOTE="acanofcoke"]This stupid thread now has given me the itch to upgrade!!! I was originally going to wait until the 800's but don't think i'll be able to as I've got some good money coming in at the moment that I might put aside for MOAR POWA!! Stupid damn thread... FaustArp

Do you seriously consider upgrading from SLI 680s so soon? Is there even a game that took full advantage of your GPUs, even at 2560x1440?

This is the only computer hardware forum I've ever been to in which there seem to be large numbers of people apparently unaware that computer hardware is a hobby to some folks...

And also, I'm sure there are games that can use that power @1440p.  I couldn't keep 60 FPS locked in Crysis 3 with 2x 680 @1080p.

yea but crysis is ahead of the curve technically, with your titans, you're fine.
Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

At 1440p you can put it to use I'd think.  I ordered a 1600p monitor yesterday, very curious to see how much more HP is required for these higher resolutions.

Speaking of which, did you notice a big jump in graphics quality when you went higher-res?

Yeah, it's both very subtle and very noticable, Tomb Raider looks so gorgeous and clear. YEs and I do blame YOU for my itch!
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

loveruby.jpg

Lulz. Just thought I'll share this.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

I'm sorry. I wasn't criticizing your choice, I was seriously asking if there were games that dropped below 60 fps?

I'm considering upgrading to the 700 series myself.

I have another question: How long have you been using SLI? Has it given you headaches a lot in terms of unoptimized games or lacking drivers?

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 FaustArp

[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

Ben-Buja

I'm sorry. I wasn't criticizing your choice, I was seriously asking if there were games that dropped below 60 fps?

I have another question: How long have you been using SLI? Has it given you headaches a lot in terms of unoptimized games or lacking drivers?

I've been using SLI for well over a year now. Only thing that didn't work immediately was the Crysis 3 beta. And soon that was fixed. :)
FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 FaustArp
[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

[QUOTE="acanofcoke"]This stupid thread now has given me the itch to upgrade!!! I was originally going to wait until the 800's but don't think i'll be able to as I've got some good money coming in at the moment that I might put aside for MOAR POWA!! Stupid damn thread... darksusperia

Id imagine it would balance out again. You dont need to run as much AA @ 1600p as everything would look far sharper. Jelly of your stuff. damn 1600p is near 2K here in Aus, especially for that HP you were looking at.

2K?!? Wow that's almost twice what I paid! :o
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 darksusperia

[QUOTE="darksusperia"][QUOTE="FaustArp"]

Haha, I put the thought in your head. :P Lol.

At 1440p you can put it to use I'd think. I ordered a 1600p monitor yesterday, very curious to see how much more HP is required for these higher resolutions.

FaustArp

2K?!? Wow that's almost twice what I paid! :o

yes, we get gouged a lot

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/images/AUOLS_R2/products.html#/u=2,1,4,hp-zr30w-30-inch-s-ips-lcd-monitor

the 7990 got listed today at an etailer for $1300

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

FaustArp

I've been using SLI for well over a year now. Only thing that didn't work immediately was the Crysis 3 beta. And soon that was fixed. :)

I've had graphical glitches in the Crysis 3 beta myself with a single 680 lol (objects in interiors had white outlines when using MSAA)

Good to hear that you've had almost no problems with it. I might pick up a 780 this or next month and then later get another one

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Seeing some great deals on 600 series cards at the moment, 700 series better be worth the wait or i'll be annoyed i didn't just grab a 660 cheap.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Enthusiasts have been waiting for the next gen of Nvidia cards and, as far as I'm aware, the next high end series are expected to compete with Titan. 

Was Titan even marketed as a consumer card? Was'nt it made abundantly clear that it was a gimped workstation card?

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 FaustArp

Enthusiasts have been waiting for the next gen of Nvidia cards and, as far as I'm aware, the next high end series are expected to compete with Titan. 

Was Titan even marketed as a consumer card? Was'nt it made abundantly clear that it was a gimped workstation card?

MlauTheDaft
We were under the impression that it was a tide-me-over for enthusiasts until the real next-gen, Maxwell.
Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
It's funny because in a thread I created a little while ago I mentioned the 700 series and everyone was like "dude that won't be released anytime soon what are you talking about." Told ya so :P
tionmedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 tionmedon
Member since 2006 • 468 Posts

loveruby.jpg

Lulz. Just thought I'll share this.

Bikouchu35
i like it.........
Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#116 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
I hope this is all accurate, the GTX 770 could be a great upgrade from my GTX 570 and at an expensive but affordable price
JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
This is good news, and if you "know how technology evolves", then you have nothing to complain about, in fact, you saw this coming already because, again, "you know how technology evolves".
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#118 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Well well....this hurts any joy.

"On the contrary to the current flagship GeForce GTX 680 the GeForce GTX 780 is not entirely a replacement for its predecessor. At least not in terms of the price. Even though it features a different specification than the original GTX TITAN, the price will not be very different (TITAN costs $1000). The GTX 780 would be considered as a TITAN for the masses. Frankly speaking, this would be a TITAN-based model, with no restrictions to modify the card, which includes a custom PCBs and custom cooling solutions, but not in terms of voltage regulations (this has to verified).

It is worth saying though, that SweClockers were quite accurate with their leaks about the GTX TITAN. If so, then we are expecting a price point from $600 to $700, if not higher."

http://videocardz.com/41218/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-to-cost-near-the-gtx-titan-price

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts

"On the contrary to the current flagship GeForce GTX 680 the GeForce GTX 780 is not entirely a replacement for its predecessor. At least not in terms of the price. Even though it features a different specification than the original GTX TITAN, the price will not be very different (TITAN costs $1000). The GTX 780 would be considered as a TITAN for the masses. Frankly speaking, this would be a TITAN-based model, with no restrictions to modify the card, which includes a custom PCBs and custom cooling solutions, but not in terms of voltage regulations (this has to verified).

It is worth saying though, that SweClockers were quite accurate with their leaks about the GTX TITAN. If so, then we are expecting a price point from $600 to $700, if not higher."

http://videocardz.com/41218/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-to-cost-near-the-gtx-titan-price

ShadowDeathX
That's sad, and here I was expecting the $500 mark :|
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#120 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

ShadowDeathX

Not surprising.  I don't know how people were thinking it would be $500 with a slightly cut-down Titan GPU.  I'm thinking $600-650.  

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 darksusperia

ShadowDeathX
so it will be 1000$ here in AUS.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#122 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

abuabed

That's sad, and here I was expecting the $500 mark :|

I would be surprised if it were to cost that much knowing Nvidia.

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#123 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
Better start saving folks!
FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 FaustArp

And suddenly, all of the Titan owners that shelled out big bucks feel less outraged haha.

All rumors of course, but so far the moral of the story seems to be:

nVidia f*cking loves money.  :P  Lol.

claytoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 claytoma
Member since 2002 • 1508 Posts
The more complex the processor the higher the research and development costs I'm sure. I think Nvidia is trying to tell us that it's the end of $500 dollar flagship cards as processors have to increase in complexity to increase performance and features. I'm sure AMD will follow suit too. They're just like all other companies; they have to remain profitable to stay in business. Also, I bet gone are the days of a 50% bump in performance between generations. I've had each flagship single processor card from Nvidia since the Geforce 2 Ultra, except the FX series, got the 9700 Pro instead, and I gladly shelled out $1000 for the Titan. This might be the generation where I try out SLI.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 hartsickdiscipl

The more complex the processor the higher the research and development costs I'm sure. I think Nvidia is trying to tell us that it's the end of $500 dollar flagship cards as processors have to increase in complexity to increase performance and features. I'm sure AMD will follow suit too. They're just like all other companies; they have to remain profitable to stay in business. Also, I bet gone are the days of a 50% bump in performance between generations. I've had each flagship single processor card from Nvidia since the Geforce 2 Ultra, except the FX series, got the 9700 Pro instead, and I gladly shelled out $1000 for the Titan. This might be the generation where I try out SLI. claytoma

There have been $600-700 flagship single-gpu graphics cards before.  Remember the 8800GTX and 8800 Ultra?  The flagship prices went down for the following generations.  I expect the same to happen after Titan LE, GTX 780, whatever it is.  

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts

The more complex the processor the higher the research and development costs I'm sure. I think Nvidia is trying to tell us that it's the end of $500 dollar flagship cards as processors have to increase in complexity to increase performance and features. I'm sure AMD will follow suit too. They're just like all other companies; they have to remain profitable to stay in business. Also, I bet gone are the days of a 50% bump in performance between generations. I've had each flagship single processor card from Nvidia since the Geforce 2 Ultra, except the FX series, got the 9700 Pro instead, and I gladly shelled out $1000 for the Titan. This might be the generation where I try out SLI. claytoma

R&D isn't necessarily increasing, it is mainly the increase in cost of manufacturing.
As you decrease the size of the transistor the complexity goes up exponentially, massively increasing R&D cost and time to release that new node, causing that increase to the cost of a wafer by a significant deal.

All ASICs, as they add features and become more general purpose rather than fix function, have to increase complexity to add performance, this has been the case since the dawn of modern computing.

Things have slowed down in the world of GPUs because of the shift of focus. General compute performance has moved to the forefront of design goals. Power and thermal limits are at their limit with current specifications and because smaller manufacuring nodes have slowed from about a yearly cadence to about every two years, AMD/Nvidia cannot rely on the process to give them the room needed for the performance increase of past generations.

Once we get even closer to the physical wall of the current manufacturing techniques and a new technique becomes mainstream we might relive the old days of massive performance gains going from one gen GPU to the next.

Not to mention the complete and utter mess on the software side of things, from drivers to the API to the game code.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts
Nvidia lost a lot of potential 680 customers to the 7970 purely because of pricing, lets hope they've learnt from that.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

That's sad, and here I was expecting the $500 mark :|abuabed

That would be awesome but I don't think we will get a $500 and under card with at least titan performance until Maxwell (the 870/880 should be on par/faster while being priced less than 500 )

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 darksusperia
new rumour. GTX 780 features DX12. - of course, its most likely fake, but who knows.  Source
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#131 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
That was already confirmed fake.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

new rumour. GTX 780 features DX12. - of course, its most likely fake, but who knows. ]darksusperia
I hope there isn't a DirectX 12 anytime soon (I want to go alll out for the Maxwell/9000 series but don't want to buy a card 4-5 series's into DirectX 11 if were going to get screwed again).

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#134 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]and this is what Ive been waiting for. As for your happiness, Well, you paid the premium for bleeding edge right at day 1, nothing more. This be how the tech game is played.FaustArp

I know how technology evolves...but seriously, 2 months?  :?

Look at it this way... they released their card early for early adopters willing to pay a premium. Some people jumped on this, and spent more money on a card than most people could justify. Me? I have to wait for a price drop like this one.
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4863 Posts

Thats a very nice monitor. Do you do graphic design or photography by chance?
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

ShadowDeathX

Still expensive...

Nobody in the middle class wealth would spend over £800 on a GPU.

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

The prices keep getting higher, wtf.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#138 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Sorry if I don't feel for the people who blew $1000 or more on a completely unneccesary piece of hardware..

mitu123

If you're gaming higher than 1080p or 1080p with 120-144hz, then it's not unnecessary...

Neither one is neccesary to enjoying the game.. Especially when we aren't talking about a 680, or a 7900.. But a Titan..

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 LordEC911

Look at it this way... they released their card early for early adopters willing to pay a premium. donalbane

Nope sorry. GK100 should have been ready in 1H '12, instead they had to do a redesign, GK110, and released it in Q1 '13.

MerckmanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 MerckmanX
Member since 2009 • 98 Posts

Meh, with all these console ports I don't think I'll be dropping 1k on a single video card any time soon.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#141 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

And this is the reason you don't buy $1000 cards. 

xhawk27

no need to be condescending. We don't officially know how it will perform.

Yeah sorry about that didn't mean to sound condescending. In 2008 I paid $600 for the top videocard from Nvidia. Less than a year it was obsolete and if that wasn't bad enough it had heat problems. 

I paid $1500 for a PC in 2009 that can max out any game except Crysis 3. Thats an entire PC, not just the GPU that cost $1500. How did you spend $600 on a GPU that became obsolete in a year?
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#142 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

[QUOTE="darksusperia"]and this is what Ive been waiting for. As for your happiness, Well, you paid the premium for bleeding edge right at day 1, nothing more. This be how the tech game is played.FaustArp

I know how technology evolves...but seriously, 2 months?  :?

Computer technology / digital technology sucks : / its ridiculous how fast they evolve and how previous digital tech becomes obsolete so fast. Analog still the king! Snell THX Reference towers best speakers since 1998!
LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 LordEC911

I paid $1500 for a PC in 2009 that can max out any game except Crysis 3. Thats an entire PC, not just the GPU that cost $1500. How did you spend $600 on a GPU that became obsolete in a year?Mozelleple112

Wow... go back to system wars.
At 1280x1024 maybe, not at any decent resolution.
GT200 and RV770 just don't cut it anymore.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]no need to be condescending. We don't officially know how it will perform.

Mozelleple112

Yeah sorry about that didn't mean to sound condescending. In 2008 I paid $600 for the top videocard from Nvidia. Less than a year it was obsolete and if that wasn't bad enough it had heat problems. 

I paid $1500 for a PC in 2009 that can max out any game except Crysis 3. Thats an entire PC, not just the GPU that cost $1500. How did you spend $600 on a GPU that became obsolete in a year?

What are the specs of that $1500 computer from 2009?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 kraken2109

[QUOTE="Mozelleple112"][QUOTE="xhawk27"]

hartsickdiscipl

What are the specs of that $1500 computer from 2009?

Maybe a GTX 295? Still a fairly good card.
LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 LordEC911

Maybe a GTX 295? Still a fairly good card.kraken2109

Not really... and he doesn't buy $600 GPUs. 

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts
[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]no need to be condescending. We don't officially know how it will perform.

Mozelleple112

obsolete to you, but some of us rather get the best and don't cry when something new comes out calling what we have obsolete. obsolete means no longer use full. if you can still use it it's not obsolete. The industry has done a great job brainwashing fools into thinking when the new comes out the old is no longer any good.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#148 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Just a few weeks ago I still had a GTS 250 and yes it STILL plays games just FINE. I would imagine a GTX 280 would certainly be pulling high settings in a few games still at moderate resolutions. A card doesnt become obsolete if it cant do high settings.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 kraken2109

Just a few weeks ago I still had a GTS 250 and yes it STILL plays games just FINE. I would imagine a GTX 280 would certainly be pulling high settings in a few games still at moderate resolutions. A card doesnt become obsolete if it cant do high settings.

Gambler_3
BF3 was the first game I had to put anything on medium with my 275, and that's with max AF, max FXAA at 1080p (40+ fps on moderate sized maps). Far cry 3 runs at 60fps fairly solidly at 1080p on medium. I wouldn't consider a card obsolete until you're at low settings and turning down the resolution, and even then many people would still be happy with that.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#150 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

kraken2109

BF3 was the first game I had to put anything on medium with my 275, and that's with max AF, max FXAA at 1080p (40+ fps on moderate sized maps). Far cry 3 runs at 60fps fairly solidly at 1080p on medium. I wouldn't consider a card obsolete until you're at low settings and turning down the resolution, and even then many people would still be happy with that.

True. I had plans to stick with the GTS 250 just a bit longer since I am still playing games a couple of years old(I cant seem to ever cover my backlog) so I didnt really need a new card right now but my GTS 250 died lol. Gotta say finally playing the original crysis in maximum settings with 4xAA has been a mesmerizing experience.