Gotham City Impostors has gone Free-To-Play on Steam

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
GCI is now available as a free to play game on Steam. It's basically a loadout based wacky cartoon themed shooter where you can choose bodytypes(ranging from tiny to huge which affects hitpoints, hitbox size, movement speed, etc.), perks, gadgets, and the big thing that stood out for me: movement type(where you can choose between double jump boots, spring boots, roller skates, air gliders, and grappling hooks). This game going free to play means these already hard at work developers(relative to how much funding they have) are going to be capable of doing incredible things with GCI as updates roll out. http://store.steampowered.com/app/206210/
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
Free to Play huh. I saw it in my games list and just figured it was a free weekend. May have to give it a shot at some point.
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

I loved this game for PS3. Im definately going to download this on PC, hope there's still a community.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

That fast? Well, I've heard good things, my friends bought it but didn't play much, now I guess some of them might be peeved but eh.

LordLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LordLOC
Member since 2003 • 51 Posts

GCI is actually a really solid and fun shooter. With a pretty irreverant sense of humor and terrific feeling weapons (not to mention ridiculous weapons at that) I'm really glad to see this went F2P. The devs deserve more support than they are getting (or have gotten) so far. Hopefully this will bring in a huge influx of players and we can enjoy shooting each others Jokers and Bats some more :D

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
Awesome, always wanted to try this game out
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

WTF...why?
I got this game on release date...i want my money back :P

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

Sweet, good thing I never paid $15 for it. But I bet that is for a reason, probably won't even like it.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zubinen
Here's a video of it for those who haven't decided on whether or not to try it yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdbPQeouj5U&hd=1&t=1m33s
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Thank **** I didnt buy it in the sale and waited. Niiiiiiiccccee.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
Damn!... I only bought it last month :(. Great game by the way, I recommend it to anyone who enjoys online shooters. That said once you have played it for 40-50 hours it gets a boring.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zubinen
Sniping with The Marshal(default sniper rifle) using the 4x scope is quite satisfying since it's a one hit kill for a headshot or as much as 5+ shots to the body generally, got a bit excited when I got 3 headshots in a row in roughly 3 seconds :P The kills feel satisfying.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Seems like a really fun game, from what I played so far.

But I constantly keep getting 'disconnected from the server' messages. Anyone else have this ? Or know how to fix it ?

AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#16 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

That's awesome, I've been wanting to try this game for a while. I almost bought it when it was 5$ at the Steam Summer Sale 2012, but ended up not getting it since none of my friends play it nowadays.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Problem with it is that it was way too close released to Batman Arkham City or at least the aftermath of it so everyone smelled a cheap try to get a bad game sold while the Batman Hype is still around. I guess that was why it never had a real chance. F2P I MAYBE will check it out, but then again, probably not. If I want a good batman game I'll just play BAC or BAA. Especially...bats...shooting...this two things alone kind of destroy the spirit of batman :/

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts
Giving it a try, or at least getting it from Steam. Is the game any good or is it very reliant on using the paid content to really get into the game (i.e. if I choose to just use the free pack, am I likely going to get smoked by those who have the paid expansion/weapon content etc)?
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Problem with it is that it was way too close released to Batman Arkham City or at least the aftermath of it so everyone smelled a cheap try to get a bad game sold while the Batman Hype is still around. I guess that was why it never had a real chance. F2P I MAYBE will check it out, but then again, probably not. If I want a good batman game I'll just play BAC or BAA. Especially...bats...shooting...this two things alone kind of destroy the spirit of batman :/

Justforvisit

Why not at least check it out before writing it off ? The worst thing that could happen is you losing a few minutes of your time.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zubinen

Justforvisit
It isn't Batman, the name of the game has no mention of Batman, it's Gotham City Impostors which makes perfect sense considering the two factions consist of "clowns" and "bats" who due to their lack of resources finds other means(i.e slapping together whatever they can salvage) for effectively fighting each other, it's a wacky and colorful FPS that lets you move around the map freely thanks to grappling hooks, jump boots, roller skates, glider rigs, it may be more than a little silly to expect the same of this game as say what you got from the Batman Arkham games. This is a multiplayer only FPS with the theme centered around wannabe heroes and villains dressing up as bats and clowns using whatever weapons they can find or conjure whereas Batman Arkham series is single player only third person sandbox beat em up, they're only loosely related in theme that's all. Perhaps this video will better illustrate what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asyDEa5gFb0&hd=1&t=4s

As for GCI itself it seems to be doing fine so far in terms of player count, according to Steam stats:

5,000 8,141 Dark Souls 4,379 7,497 Total War SHOGUN 2 4,135 7,195 Gotham City Impostors Free to Play 3,739 7,101 Empire: Total War 3,684 7,908 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer 3,366 5,967 Terraria 3,294 6,048 Fallout New Vegas 3,214 5,660 Call of Duty Black Ops - Multiplayer 3,070 6,783 Mount&Blade: Warband 2,906 5,541 ARMA II - Operation Arrowhead ... 1,780 3,348 Blacklight: Retribution ...1,091 2,020 Tribes Ascend

Just a small background for the developers, they did the PC version of F.E.A.R 1, BLOOD 1&2, No One Lives Forever 1&2, and Condemned 1&2 and GCI is basically on an updated version of the engine used for all these games, suffice to say the developers deserve a chance especially considering all the free content they released when the game was selling at a maximum price point of $15 and all the content is available to all players on the free to play version now.