Gamespy: "This is one of the WORST Ports we've ever seen"

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 0

#51 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

One guy did 4 hours after release, what From couldn't do in 6 months. How useless can they be?

QQabitmoar

Get ready to be called a snobby pc gamer for stating facts :lol:

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 kozzy1234

What I think is that there are a few higher ups at Namco that are doing whatever they can to bascially ruin Dark Souls on the PC.

Yes this sounds like a conspiracy theory but hear me out. Namco isn't making a ton of money right now. Most of their franchises have stalled and they've never really made PC games to invest into that market.

There are probably a very small group of pretty high up Namco execs who do not want to invest into the PC market because they still do not believe it can be profitable. They read things about piracy and they just go crazy. So they are working against From Software wherever they can so that the port is really bad. If the port is bad, sales will be lower and piracy will be higher. They can then use this case as an example in their further arguments against investing into the PC market.

Yes it's a tin foil hat conspiracy, but the choices made in Dark Souls are a good indication that this is more than just a crappy port. Things like the controls and resolution locking don't make sense and there is no way it would have passed a modern QA test without somebody saying "ok this is crap".

I can understand GFWL and the 30fps lock. Yes, the 30 fps lock which at first seems even more bizaar than a revolution lock. One just needs to look back to retro console games. Back in the day, console games were locked into the cycle rate of their hardware. If you would increase the amount of hardware and speed, the game would run faster. Audio, animations, and video would all seem sped up. It wouldn't be just a increase in framerate, but an increase in everything. The engine behind Dark Souls was obviously made similar to this. Instead of a hardware limit, they just tied every bit of code into a lock 30 cycles per second. This is everything from audio processing to gameplay processing to video output.

Somebody said they can already adjust this refresh rate to 60 fps but the game runs really fast when that happens. Just like old console games.

The resolution lock makes no sense though. None at all. Already the community fixed it, before the game was even launched. That's just suspicious as hell.

Wasdie

Well said Wasdie, get ya flame shield ready though, the fanboys will be in any second screaming that this is a good port and that we are just snobby pc gamers :lol:

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

I don't really get how anybody is defending this. Played some of it at my friend's house and it was TERRIBLE. This is a bad port, plain and simple.

kozzy1234

The funny part to me is how we get called ELITIST or SNOBBY PC GAMER,etc.. when in reality we just don't like to support lazy ports, period. The hours I played of Darksiders2 and Dark Souls at my friends was horrible and I actually felt bad for them having bought these games, as they felt and looked the same as I had years before when I got Saints row2's crappy pc port and RE4 crappy pc port.

Not a elitist or snobby pc gamer at all, graphics are probably my least favorite aspect in games, I love old school games and I love indie games that dont have the greatest graphics, but a lazy port is still a lazy port in my book and I wont support them.

Well said, and it's exactly the way I feel about the situation.

...well I guess I'm off, back to DayZ and Arma2 ACE mod!

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Thank god there is still some websites and people that will call a bad port a bad port when thats the case. People have the right to know about these sorts of things.

I have only complained about two games out of 500+ I own (SR2 and RE4), but these last two from the 2+ hours I played of each of them, are down right BAD PORTS, no other way to put it.

If these issues in these games are not a big deal to you then fine, so be it but that does not mean everyone else wants to spend full price on half assed PC ports. I have made that mistake myself in the past with SR2 and RE4 and I will not make that mistake again, I will try games that look to have bad ports at friends places before I buy them myself (or hell even rent or buy the console version).

What makes this annoying is that all the 4 games I dislike the PC ports to are all good games overall they just had crappy crappy pc versions done up. Its not like they are bad games that have crappy PC versions, they are all games I have enjoyed either on other systems before or previous games in the series that unfortunatly have bad PC versions.

kozzy1234

Nobody cares if you put some much value on the quality of a port over the game itself...that's a personal decision. The issue is folks acting like fools and acting like other people are not 'real' PC gamers because they don't see the 'bad ports' as real issues and instead just enjoy the game for what it is. That's where they get called (and rightfully so) idiotic elitists.

Also, you said this in a different post but nobody is saying this is a good port...just that while it's bare-bones and has some issue that the game overall is still deep, huge, and great...oh and it runs better over the consoles and with a mod looks better as well. The fact it's a 'bad port' in your eyes and not worth your time is fine, but those placing value on different things (ie the actual game) are not being unreasonable either.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#55 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

I don't really get how anybody is defending this. Played some of it at my friend's house and it was TERRIBLE. This is a bad port, plain and simple.

jer_1

The funny part to me is how we get called ELITIST or SNOBBY PC GAMER,etc.. when in reality we just don't like to support lazy ports, period. The hours I played of Darksiders2 and Dark Souls at my friends was horrible and I actually felt bad for them having bought these games, as they felt and looked the same as I had years before when I got Saints row2's crappy pc port and RE4 crappy pc port.

Not a elitist or snobby pc gamer at all, graphics are probably my least favorite aspect in games, I love old school games and I love indie games that dont have the greatest graphics, but a lazy port is still a lazy port in my book and I wont support them.

Well said, and it's exactly the way I feel about the situation.

...well I guess I'm off, back to DayZ and Arma2 ACE mod!

Don't feel anything.I've never seen so much fuss about such an irrelevant game. Just try it if you have any interest, it's playable with a controller.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10478 Posts

the phrase "wouldn't touch it with a barge pole" springs to mind. and to think i held off getting the console version to wait for this :evil:

no problem for me, i'll pick sleeping dogs up instead

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiz3fzY0kSY

Is It Pure?: Dark Souls PC First Impressions + Gameplay

Stylosa and Kirioth take a look at newly released console port Dark Souls:the much hyped petition success from Namco Bandai. An epic hardcore action RPG, Dark Souls is widely known as one of the most difficult games out there... the question is, though, Is It Pure?

kozzy1234

Thank you for posting this video. It pretty much confirms all the issues I would have had with the game if I had bought it. After watching this, I can't see how people could defend the PC version of this game.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

What I think is that there are a few higher ups at Namco that are doing whatever they can to bascially ruin Dark Souls on the PC.

Yes this sounds like a conspiracy theory but hear me out. Namco isn't making a ton of money right now. Most of their franchises have stalled and they've never really made PC games to invest into that market.

There are probably a very small group of pretty high up Namco execs who do not want to invest into the PC market because they still do not believe it can be profitable. They read things about piracy and they just go crazy. So they are working against From Software wherever they can so that the port is really bad. If the port is bad, sales will be lower and piracy will be higher. They can then use this case as an example in their further arguments against investing into the PC market.

Yes it's a tin foil hat conspiracy, but the choices made in Dark Souls are a good indication that this is more than just a crappy port. Things like the controls and resolution locking don't make sense and there is no way it would have passed a modern QA test without somebody saying "ok this is crap".

I can understand GFWL and the 30fps lock. Yes, the 30 fps lock which at first seems even more bizaar than a revolution lock. One just needs to look back to retro console games. Back in the day, console games were locked into the cycle rate of their hardware. If you would increase the amount of hardware and speed, the game would run faster. Audio, animations, and video would all seem sped up. It wouldn't be just a increase in framerate, but an increase in everything. The engine behind Dark Souls was obviously made similar to this. Instead of a hardware limit, they just tied every bit of code into a lock 30 cycles per second. This is everything from audio processing to gameplay processing to video output.

Somebody said they can already adjust this refresh rate to 60 fps but the game runs really fast when that happens. Just like old console games.

The resolution lock makes no sense though. None at all. Already the community fixed it, before the game was even launched. That's just suspicious as hell.

Wasdie

I have to agree. I have some exp in game programming and yeah theres two ways to go about updating your game. You can have it update whenever possible which is basically running it as fast as possible or lock it to update to the set framerate. I figure most people use the speed method these days but the fps tie in method is probably highly useful for consoles. You get solid consistent performance by doing that. The thing is though that every single part of the game is tied into that system which makes a port job a nightmare. They would have to go through everything to get the FPS unlock from 30.

I also agree on the resolution. Theres just no reason besides laziness or i guess lack of time. In most cases thats as simple as changing a number. Some of the 2d aspects would need to be fixed probably like the UI but yeah its not that hard to just up the rez of a game.

So its either your conspiracy or they really just dont have pc exp and not enough time i guess.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Stylosa and Kirioth take a look at newly released console port Dark Souls:the much hyped petition success from Namco Bandai. An epic hardcore action RPG, Dark Souls is widely known as one of the most difficult games out there... the question is, though, Is It Pure?

slimjimbadboy

Thank you for posting this video. It pretty much confirms all the issues I would have had with the game if I had bought it. After watching this, I can't see how people could defend the PC version of this game.

No problem at all man, just passing it on

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

i hope namco gets their crap together
they gota release dat klonoa 3 on steam and lrn 2 advertise
but they gota lrn 2 use a pc first

are all japanese devs allergic to pc?

Well except sega, can't wait for nights

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
As much as I love Dark Souls, I hope the critics lay the smackdown uponeth this game so they may receive some meaningful professional feedback.
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

[QUOTE="Emraldo"]

Just... no. You understand Dark Souls was built on a PC engine right? Or do you not get that PCs and consoles HAVE THE SAME COMPONENTS just that PC ones are more powerful and consoles have a different OS? You ruined whatever point you thought you were making when you showed how ignorant you are about these fundamentals.

SKaREO

Of course I know what platform games are developed on. Don't assume you know who I am, because you don't.

I stopped reading here. You're adorable. Here, for you.

Is It Pure?:Dark Souls PC First Impressions + Gameplay

kozzy1234

That... made me so sad. This truly is an awful, awful port. Shame on you From Software. Guess I'll wait for either it to drop to <$20 on steam or get the new content on XBL. The awful interface leftovers and complete lack of any attempt to adapt the controls for PC was seriously depressing.

Although their complaints about multiplayer were completely unfounded. PvP and coop work completely differently in Souls games than in any other, and they simply lacked the knowledge to test them (so it was kind of unfair for them to shittalk that).

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Emraldo"] Of course I know what platform games are developed on. Don't assume you know who I am, because you don't. Emraldo

I stopped reading here. You're adorable. Here, for you.

Is It Pure?:Dark Souls PC First Impressions + Gameplay

kozzy1234

That... made me so sad. This truly is an awful, awful port. Shame on you From Software. Guess I'll wait for either it to drop to <$20 on steam or get the new content on XBL. The awful interface leftovers and complete lack of any attempt to adapt the controls for PC was seriously depressing.

Get ya flameshield ready, "snobby pc gamer" comment on the way :lol:

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Doubt it is as bad as RE4.

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Get ya flameshield ready, "snobby pc gamer" comment on the way :lol:

kozzy1234

2262045-FlameShield.jpg

Let them come.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

kozzy1234

Outch, if it wasent so sad it would be hilarious.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 kozzy1234

PcGamingRig

RE4 and Saints row2 are the only games ive been pissed off that I bought for PC in the past.

This and Darksiders2 are the worst PC ports ive seen since those two above that I mentioned.

I wish someone would have warned me about those two games before I bought them lol.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Mazoch

The truth hurts huh? :P

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I find it funny that the exact same game/experience that was on consoles that was praised so highly by so many is completely unacceptable when it get's ported exactly (for better and worse) to the PC.
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

[QUOTE="Mazoch"]

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

kozzy1234

The truth hurts huh? :P

Hehe, im ok. It's a shame but I didnt pre-order and I already got it on the Xbox. But man they really did screw the proverbial pooch on this one.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#72 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Apparently they never tried GTA4

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Mr_Ditters
You could change the resolution in GTA 4, it's automatically a better port than Dark Souls.
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

Toxic-Seahorse

You could change the resolution in GTA 4, it's automatically a better port than Dark Souls.

Not only that but the mouse works in GTA.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#75 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

slimjimbadboy

Obviously you 2 did not play GTA4 at release. Yeah you could change the resolution and play it at 5-10fps on a top of the line rig. That's if you could get it to actually run without crashing.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#76 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

One lesson we can take from GTA IV is that it was a poop port, but it was still a great game that scored higher then every other game this generation and it still raised the bar in what we could create as a living, breathing world with great writing and polish. Dark Souls is also a great title, people whine a bit much about its issues, but admittedly it freaking works. It doesn't consistently crash or break you from the experience which even well optimized titles can do every now and then, and the game itself was amazing a year ago, its still amazing now with a few hiccups any competent PC gamer can move past with a gamepad and resolution mod.

RE4 is a game that was actually negatively affected terribly when it came out, along with a bunch of bad porting issues. At least Dark Souls is better then that, and RE4 is still a fantastic game on consoles (and with the right mods on PC that let you play it how you should be able to). Just because its a bad port does NOT mean its a bad game, like just how ME3's ending isn't that great does NOT mean the entire series or entirety of ME3 is forsaken for it.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] You could change the resolution in GTA 4, it's automatically a better port than Dark Souls.Mr_Ditters

Obviously you 2 did not play GTA4 at release. Yeah you could change the resolution and play it at 5-10fps on a top of the line rig. That's if you could get it to actually run without crashing.

Yeaah no.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

PcGamingRig
Saints Row 2, Resident Evil 4, and Devil May Cry 3 are far worse ports.