Gamespy: "This is one of the WORST Ports we've ever seen"

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dark-souls/1225854p1.html

Dark indeed -- this is one of the worst ports we've ever seen.

I can give it this much: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition does run. Yet when over 100,000 PC gamers petitioned Namco Bandai to bring its popular console action RPG to the PC, this probably wasn't exactly what they had in mind. We've had our concerns over the quality of the PC ever since we first saw it earlier this year, and now that it's here, the worst of them are confirmed: this is just about a worst-case scenario port. It's a shame, too -- it's like getting that bike you asked for for Christmas only to find that it's so poorly assembled you can barely ride it.

I can now confirm first-hand that no matter what resolution you set in the options, Dark Souls will run at 1280x720 (or 720p) and stretch to fit. It looks pretty terrible on a PC monitor, or anything higher than 720p resolution. Everything's blocky, and even text looks awful. Of all the low-quality shortcuts From could've taken in putting Dark Souls on the PC, limiting the resolution may well be the most inexcusable. I've seen a lot of bad ports, but it's been a long time since I've seen something this bad.

But from the modding community comes hope! NeoGAF poster Durante has already posted a home-brewed resolution fix (you can read more about that here). Once installed and properly tweaked, it improved the overall visual quality of Dark Souls significantly on our PCs. There's still a lot of testing to be done before it can be strongly recommended, because we're just not sure yet how well Dark Souls will endure this tinkering, but it's better than nothing.

There's nothing outstanding here, but at least it's not missing any essential features. Music, sound, and voice volumes can all be adjusted, but there's no surround sound or special headphone profiles.

Dark Souls can be played with the mouse and keyboard, but only if you really want to hate the experience. From didn't even bother to design proper mouse and key icons for on-screen prompts, so good luck figuring out what button you're supposed to push when it flashes "Press RT for Strong Attack" and you don't have a gamepad plugged in. Move the camera with the right analog stick? C'mon, guys. Really?

There are also some absurd default control settings, such as how the End key is used to bring up the menu while Escape does nothing, or how camera controls are set for the I, J, K, and L keys, as if you'd want to control the camera with the keyboard instead of the mouse. Actually, given how the floaty, inaccurate camera is only just barely controllable with the mouse, how much worse could it be?

And while you can remap most keys, you can't assign anything to the Mouse 4 or 5 buttons. On the upside, Dark Souls does support hot-swapping between keyboard/mouse and gamepad without having to toggle a setting in the menu. Yeah, that's a pretty small upside. If you've already bought Dark Souls and you don't have a gamepad yet, I highly recommend you buy one ASAP. When using one, it plays identically to the Xbox version.

Once Dark Souls is up and running, it's hard-capped at 30 frames per second, ensuring that your performance will never be better than just barely tolerable even on top-of-the-line hardware. And that's best-case -- even playing it for just a few minutes on my GeForce GTX 470-powered PC I encountered a bunch of framerate drops, notably every time a cloud of dust was kicked up during the first boss battle with the Asylum Demon. (Note that this was without installing the resolution patch.)

There's an autosave feature, and that's it. But seeing as how this is a core component of Dark Souls' difficulty and challenge (and thus its charm), I'm not too bothered by the inability to scatter save files. Apparently there's Steam cloud support, but I haven't yet confirmed this.

We knew this was coming too -- Dark Souls' multiplayer and player profiles are tied to Games for Windows Live. As much as we'd all love to see GFWL left to rot in a shallow grave, it's still not going to stop me from enjoying a good game.

CONCLUSION
To some extent this feels like I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth here, since Namco Bandai only created the PC version of Dark Souls after PC gamers cried out for it en mass. But in reality, Namco isn't "giving" us anything -- it's charging us $40 for a product, and that product is technically poor. It's a shame that it'll generate some bad word of mouth, and in turn lower sales, as the lesson Namco Bandai and other publishers will probably take from Dark Souls is that no matter how many PC gamers say they want a port, they won't buy it. But that's the wrong lesson: the lesson is that PC gamers won't buy poor-quality products.

Of course, if you're playing on a gamepad, the challenging gameplay experience of Dark Souls is intact, but this is just an unfortunate and underdeveloped mess of a port. With the limited resolution and framerate and lack of usable mouse and keyboard controls, it feels as though From simply emulated an Xbox rather than properly porting Dark Souls to the PC.

Spy Guy says: I have to say, I'm blown away that the resolution patch came out the same day as Dark Souls did -- especially since the release happened a day earlier than Namco Bandai said it would. Time will tell if it works properly the entire way through, but if one guy can make that fix so quickly, you have to wonder what else could've been improved with just a few hours' work. Does this info put you off of Dark Souls, or are you prepared to die anyway?

Lucky we have modders in the PC community to fix issues :)

#2 Posted by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -

I'm thinking of buying it anyways. I actually owned it on the 360 but returned it after the game literally handed me my own ass. I really love the concept and art style of the game though...maybe there will be a difficulty patch as well.

Anyways cool to hear about the good work that modder is doing! Personally I think they didn't do a proper port not because of laziness, but rather some silly ideal that the PC version shouldn't be superior to the console version. The decision to release (for free) the added content on consoles makes total sense, but to arbitrarily limit frame rates and internal resolution is absolutely silly imo.

#3 Posted by tobes1993 (227 posts) -
Yes we know! Everyone knows it's a bad port, if you don't want to buy it then don't buy it and stop talking about it, simple.
#4 Posted by D1zzyCriminal (1839 posts) -

Here is what will happen.

-Bad port gets bad press.

-No one buys the bad port.

-Sales are less than expected.

-Some external reason will be found to blame the failure on.

-Namco/Bandai become reluctant to support the PC.

#5 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
Whoever signed that petition is not a real PC gamer. It's some console scrub with 100,000 accounts trolling us with crappy console ports.
#6 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Whoever signed that petition is not a real PC gamer. It's some console scrub with 100,000 accounts trolling us with crappy console ports.SKaREO

I signed it and I'm damn well a "real" PC gamer. This is such a stupid post man, the game port turned out sh*t, it's not my fault that they are too preoccupied with fapping that they can't make a decent port of this game. That said, the game is great on PS3, even with the terrible frame rate, and it would absolutely be worth playing on PC if it was actually completed...apparently it's not.

I did not buy this even though I signed it, I'm not into buying the "Yugo" of video games.

#7 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Whoever signed that petition is not a real PC gamer. It's some console scrub with 100,000 accounts trolling us with crappy console ports.jer_1

I signed it and I'm damn well a "real" PC gamer. This is such a stupid post man, the game port turned out sh*t, it's not my fault that they are too preoccupied with fapping that they can't make a decent port of this game. That said, the game is great on PS3, even with the terrible frame rate, and it would absolutely be worth playing on PC if it was actually completed...apparently it's not.

I did not buy this even though I signed it, I'm not into buying the "Yugo" of video games.

Wow, dude. How hard is it to understand that games are designed to run differently on consoles? If you want to play the damn game, buy the console! I bought a PS2 and PS3 to play Metal Gear Solid, I didn't petition to have them ruin the experience with a crappy port. It just never works dude.
#8 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiz3fzY0kSY

Is It Pure?: Dark Souls PC First Impressions + Gameplay

Stylosa and Kirioth take a look at newly released console port Dark Souls:the much hyped petition success from Namco Bandai. An epic hardcore action RPG, Dark Souls is widely known as one of the most difficult games out there... the question is, though, Is It Pure?

#9 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -
Disappointing. They've been working on the port for a while so you'd think they would get it right. There is no excuse for releasing a game in a horrible state. Take the extra time and make it work. You'll get the extra sales and people will be more likely to buy your next game.
#10 Posted by vfibsux (4497 posts) -

"To some extent this feels like I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth here, since Namco Bandai only created the PC version of Dark Souls after PC gamers cried out for it en mass. But in reality, Namco isn't "giving" us anything -- it's charging us $40 for a product, and that product is technically poor."

This is what the so called pc gamers crying about our complaints need to understand, this company is charging us for a substandard product. When we want you to release your game for the PC, we want it released FOR THE PC.

You people who accept this mediocrity are the ones hurting PC gaming, not us.

#11 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiz3fzY0kSY

kozzy1234
I just burst out laughing at the "Initialize" button.
#12 Posted by vfibsux (4497 posts) -
Disappointing. They've been working on the port for a while so you'd think they would get it right. There is no excuse for releasing a game in a horrible state. Take the extra time and make it work. You'll get the extra sales and people will be more likely to buy your next game. Rattlesnake_8
The sad thing is it took some random dude 20 minutes to fix the resolution issue, which tells me they just did not care either way. They did not even try.
#13 Posted by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -
[QUOTE="jer_1"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Whoever signed that petition is not a real PC gamer. It's some console scrub with 100,000 accounts trolling us with crappy console ports.SKaREO

Wow, dude. How hard is it to understand that games are designed to run differently on consoles? If you want to play the damn game, buy the console! I bought a PS2 and PS3 to play Metal Gear Solid, I didn't petition to have them ruin the experience with a crappy port. It just never works dude.

Or someone can buy the port and still enjoy the game just fine. At the very least from all gameplay impressions it actually runs BETTER than it's console counterpart (ie way less lagging in Blighttown) and with a simple mod can actually look better too. So a pc gamer doesn't need to buy a console just to play this game, they can easily buy it on PC and play it just fine...for $20 less too. Place whatever value you want on poor ports and what not...your values are not universal and you do not represent PC gamers as a whole.
#14 Posted by QQabitmoar (1892 posts) -

One guy did 4 hours after release, what From couldn't do in 6 months. How useless can they be?

#15 Posted by Vesica_Prime (7062 posts) -

It's dissapointing that they had to screw up this hard on what should have been released to fanfare and cheering.

Still, with the resolution fixes out as well as the Blighttown fixes there's reason for me to get the PC version.

#16 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="jer_1"]

Renevent42

Or someone can buy the port and still enjoy the game just fine. At the very least from all gameplay impressions it actually runs BETTER than it's console counterpart (ie way less lagging in Blighttown) and with a simple mod can actually look better too. So a pc gamer doesn't need to buy a console just to play this game, they can easily buy it on PC and play it just fine...for $20 less too. Place whatever value you want on poor ports and what not...your values are not universal and you do not represent PC gamers as a whole.

You don't get it. It's not worth playing console games on PC because they are designed to be played with console hardware. Just like it's no fun playing Monopoly with 4 people on your laptop.
#17 Posted by Emraldo (1959 posts) -

Press release from Namco/Bandai next week: "Dark Souls piracy on PC is 93-95%"

Looks like this is the last port we'll get by asking for it. It's a shame that it's such a shoddy port, I was really looking forward to the new content and the improved matchmaking. Guess I'll get it at christmas when it's <$20

#18 Posted by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] Wow, dude. How hard is it to understand that games are designed to run differently on consoles? If you want to play the damn game, buy the console! I bought a PS2 and PS3 to play Metal Gear Solid, I didn't petition to have them ruin the experience with a crappy port. It just never works dude.SKaREO

You don't get it. It's not worth playing console games on PC because they are designed to be played with console hardware. Just like it's no fun playing Monopoly with 4 people on your laptop.

You are the one who doesn't get it, what you value doesn't represent what any other person will value. The game runs fine (actually, based on hands on it runs BETTER). The game itself is the same and anyone who would enjoy THE ACTUAL GAME will enjoy it on the console, PC, or any other system it comes out on.

If a game being a "proper port" means a lot to you, moreso than the actual game itself...hey your money do with it what you want.

#20 Posted by tanerb (1300 posts) -

Snap skip.

#21 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Renevent42"] Or someone can buy the port and still enjoy the game just fine. At the very least from all gameplay impressions it actually runs BETTER than it's console counterpart (ie way less lagging in Blighttown) and with a simple mod can actually look better too. So a pc gamer doesn't need to buy a console just to play this game, they can easily buy it on PC and play it just fine...for $20 less too. Place whatever value you want on poor ports and what not...your values are not universal and you do not represent PC gamers as a whole.

You are the one who doesn't get it, what you value doesn't represent what any other person will value. The game runs fine (actually, based on hands on it runs BETTER). The game itself is the same and anyone who would enjoy THE ACTUAL GAME will enjoy it console, PC, or otherwise.

It's like you want the PC to be your gaming swiss army knife rather than a ginsu knife. People like you are helping dumb down PC gaming and flooding the market with these sub-par ports.
#22 Posted by Emraldo (1959 posts) -

You don't get it. It's not worth playing console games on PC because they are designed to be played with console hardware. Just like it's no fun playing Monopoly with 4 people on your laptop.SKaREO

Just... no. You understand Dark Souls was built on a PC engine right? Or do you not get that PCs and consoles HAVE THE SAME COMPONENTS just that PC ones are more powerful and consoles have a different OS? You ruined whatever point you thought you were making when you showed how ignorant you are about these fundamentals.

#23 Posted by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] You don't get it. It's not worth playing console games on PC because they are designed to be played with console hardware. Just like it's no fun playing Monopoly with 4 people on your laptop.

You are the one who doesn't get it, what you value doesn't represent what any other person will value. The game runs fine (actually, based on hands on it runs BETTER). The game itself is the same and anyone who would enjoy THE ACTUAL GAME will enjoy it console, PC, or otherwise.

I'm just going to assume you're not a PC gamer from now on. You make no sense at all, like you want the PC to be your gaming swiss army knife rather than a ginsu knife.

I'm not going to stop you from making ignorant assumptions...have fun with that. In the other thread I actually showed I've been playing PC games longer than you in the anyways :lol:
#24 Posted by x-2tha-z (8984 posts) -
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] Wow, dude. How hard is it to understand that games are designed to run differently on consoles? If you want to play the damn game, buy the console! I bought a PS2 and PS3 to play Metal Gear Solid, I didn't petition to have them ruin the experience with a crappy port. It just never works dude.

Who says it isn't fun? You? Are you the f*cking Lord Emperor of fun? There's probably plenty of people out there who enjoy playing Monopoly on their laptop. Your arguement has now moved past the quality of the Dark Souls port and you're basically saying ports shouldn't happen and every platform should only have exclusive games. That's an unrealistic and childish view.
#25 Posted by Pedro (31660 posts) -

[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]SKaREO

PC Gamer = one who plays games on the PC.

#26 Posted by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="SKaREO"] You don't get it. It's not worth playing console games on PC because they are designed to be played with console hardware. Just like it's no fun playing Monopoly with 4 people on your laptop.

It's like you want the PC to be your gaming swiss army knife rather than a ginsu knife. People like you are helping dumb down PC gaming and flooding the market with these sub-par ports.

See you edited your post and removed your ignorant assumption...good call ;) Anyways I play all sorts of games...from indies, hardcore PC games, and everything in between. If a game is good a game is good...nothing dumb about it. That's what is so great about the PC...we have so many options.
#27 Posted by ShimmerMan (4612 posts) -

PC gamers should have consoles. I don't understand anyone who can sit there and wait for these games to hit PC instead of buying a cheap console and playing it as intended. I imported Demon Souls before it even hit the US/EU because I knew it was a good game. I bought Dark Souls on day one of release in my country. This game should of stayed on console. The PC expereince is going blow...

-Bad Port

-Non conclusive to PC mouse and keyboard controls

-Games for Windows Live

-hacks in multiplayer

I'm glad From Software did not spend much porting this game to PC. They should concentrate on the next installment and ignore PC all together.

#28 Posted by Lach0121 (11193 posts) -

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="Renevent42"] Or someone can buy the port and still enjoy the game just fine. At the very least from all gameplay impressions it actually runs BETTER than it's console counterpart (ie way less lagging in Blighttown) and with a simple mod can actually look better too. So a pc gamer doesn't need to buy a console just to play this game, they can easily buy it on PC and play it just fine...for $20 less too. Place whatever value you want on poor ports and what not...your values are not universal and you do not represent PC gamers as a whole.Renevent42

You are the one who doesn't get it, what you value doesn't represent what any other person will value. The game runs fine (actually, based on hands on it runs BETTER). The game itself is the same and anyone who would enjoy THE ACTUAL GAME will enjoy it on the console, PC, or any other system it comes out on.

If a game being a "proper port" means a lot to you, moreso than the actual game itself...hey your money do with it what you want.

This! Renevent, and I often don't see much eye-to-eye.

But this PC elitism, "go play on consoles" crap is one thing that makes "real" pc gamers look bad.

People like all sorts of different games, on different platforms. Also a console is nothing but a tiny limited proprietary pc anyways...

Am I dissapointed in Dark Souls for pc, (from what I hear yea) but the thing is (we do plan on getting a ps3 for blu-ray) But if the game runs better on pc, then why not get it on pc during a sale? As I am interested in the game.

#29 Posted by Pedro (31660 posts) -

See you edited your post and removed your ignorant assumption...good call ;) Anyways I play all sorts of games...from indies, hardcore PC games, and everything in between. If a game is good a game is good...nothing dumb about it. That's what is so great about the PC...we have so many options. Renevent42

Obviously you know nothing about PC gaming, PC gaming is all about playing ONLY on the mouse and keyboard with the bestest hexacore CPU and octo GPU setup while speaking !33t on chat bragging about how teh awesomes teh PC gaming is and how dumb it is to play on kiddy Mario Sonic Halo consolez. :P

#30 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]You don't get it. It's not worth playing console games on PC because they are designed to be played with console hardware. Just like it's no fun playing Monopoly with 4 people on your laptop.Emraldo

Just... no. You understand Dark Souls was built on a PC engine right? Or do you not get that PCs and consoles HAVE THE SAME COMPONENTS just that PC ones are more powerful and consoles have a different OS? You ruined whatever point you thought you were making when you showed how ignorant you are about these fundamentals.

Of course I know what platform games are developed on. Don't assume you know who I am, because you don't. Let me explain this in layman's terms.   You notice anything different about this hardware?   Major difference in controls and hardware configurations. That's going to affect your gameplay BIG TIME. If you think I bought a PC to play games designed to run on a 5 year old console, you're sadly mistaken. You see, the games I look for on the PC cannot be run on console hardware, or played with inferior controls.
#31 Posted by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -
Obviously you know nothing about PC gaming, PC gaming is all about playing ONLY on the mouse and keyboard with the bestest hexacore CPU and octo GPU setup while speaking !33t on chat bragging about how teh awesomes teh PC gaming is and how dumb it is to play on kiddy Mario Sonic Halo consolez. :PPedro
You're right...I'm going to go home and burn my PC now :P
#32 Posted by Pedro (31660 posts) -

SKaREO

Let me simplify it for you.

PC = Personal Computer

Game Console = A computer device designed for gaming

Game controller = used for playing games

Keyboard = used for typing

Mouse = used for nagivating modern day Graphical User Interface

PC Gaming:- facilitates a wide variety of peripherals ranging from gamepads, steering wheel, mouse, keyboards, touchpad etc. Any device can be plugged into a PC to interact with software.

Video Games = are software that runs on a computer ranging from mobile phones to video game consoles to personal computers.

Hopefully that clarify some of the basics for you :).

#33 Posted by Wasdie (53572 posts) -

What I think is that there are a few higher ups at Namco that are doing whatever they can to bascially ruin Dark Souls on the PC.

Yes this sounds like a conspiracy theory but hear me out. Namco isn't making a ton of money right now. Most of their franchises have stalled and they've never really made PC games to invest into that market.

There are probably a very small group of pretty high up Namco execs who do not want to invest into the PC market because they still do not believe it can be profitable. They read things about piracy and they just go crazy. So they are working against From Software wherever they can so that the port is really bad. If the port is bad, sales will be lower and piracy will be higher. They can then use this case as an example in their further arguments against investing into the PC market.

Yes it's a tin foil hat conspiracy, but the choices made in Dark Souls are a good indication that this is more than just a crappy port. Things like the controls and resolution locking don't make sense and there is no way it would have passed a modern QA test without somebody saying "ok this is crap".

I can understand GFWL and the 30fps lock. Yes, the 30 fps lock which at first seems even more bizaar than a revolution lock. One just needs to look back to retro console games. Back in the day, console games were locked into the cycle rate of their hardware. If you would increase the amount of hardware and speed, the game would run faster. Audio, animations, and video would all seem sped up. It wouldn't be just a increase in framerate, but an increase in everything. The engine behind Dark Souls was obviously made similar to this. Instead of a hardware limit, they just tied every bit of code into a lock 30 cycles per second. This is everything from audio processing to gameplay processing to video output.

Somebody said they can already adjust this refresh rate to 60 fps but the game runs really fast when that happens. Just like old console games.

The resolution lock makes no sense though. None at all. Already the community fixed it, before the game was even launched. That's just suspicious as hell.

#34 Posted by Walincas (511 posts) -

[QUOTE="Emraldo"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]You don't get it. It's not worth playing console games on PC because they are designed to be played with console hardware. Just like it's no fun playing Monopoly with 4 people on your laptop.SKaREO

Of course I know what platform games are developed on. Don't assume you know who I am, because you don't. Let me explain this in layman's terms.   You notice anything different about this hardware?   Major difference in controls and hardware configurations. That's going to affect your gameplay BIG TIME. If you think I bought a PC to play games designed to run on a 5 year old console, you're sadly mistaken. You see, the games I look for on the PC cannot be run on console hardware, or played with inferior controls.

Hehe pretty nice post :)

I pretty much agree with the sentiment that gaming is best done on a PC.

But that is what's great about this world - we got the oppertunity to go for another feeling and atmosphere.

Im not really fond of consoles, because I personally get a feeling of trench running and limited freedom when playing on one - that is why I prefer the PC.

When my little niece at age 8 is having fun playing Mario on her console, that's fine though and I would not want to take that away from her - as long as I get to rule my empire in Shogun 2, im good!

#36 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

I feel like Dark Souls coming to PC is the worst thing that ever happened to gaming forums. Now aside from half of them not shutting up about a game everyone played a year ago, the other half won't shut up about how its a port and wasn't ported right and blah blah blah whine whine whine rant rant rant.

Like come on, enjoy the game, or don't. That's it, its an amazing game on its own, it was amazing on consoles when it came out, it comes with some extra content to boot, and if you aren't satisfied then there is a 95% chance you never cared about it or are just one of those entitled gamers that thinks every game should require mod support and free DLC and other things other people have to work for to bring you.

I just don't care anymore, I'm just going to go play it on PS3 now.

#37 Posted by Pedro (31660 posts) -

What I think is that there are a few higher ups at Namco that are doing whatever they can to bascially ruin Dark Souls on the PC.

Yes this sounds like a conspiracy theory but hear me out. Namco isn't making a ton of money right now. Most of their franchises have stalled and they've never really made PC games to invest into that market.

There are probably a very small group of pretty high up Namco execs who do not want to invest into the PC market because they still do not believe it can be profitable. They read things about piracy and they just go crazy. So they are working against From Software wherever they can so that the port is really bad. If the port is bad, sales will be lower and piracy will be higher. They can then use this case as an example in their further arguments against investing into the PC market.

Yes it's a tin foil hat conspiracy, but the choices made in Dark Souls are a good indication that this is more than just a crappy port. Things like the controls and resolution locking don't make sense and there is no way it would have passed a modern QA test without somebody saying "ok this is crap".

I can understand GFWL and the 30fps lock. Yes, the 30 fps lock which at first seems even more bizaar than a revolution lock. One just needs to look back to retro console games. Back in the day, console games were locked into the cycle rate of their hardware. If you would increase the amount of hardware and speed, the game would run faster. Audio, animations, and video would all seem sped up. It wouldn't be just a increase in framerate, but an increase in everything. The engine behind Dark Souls was obviously made similar to this. Instead of a hardware limit, they just tied every bit of code into a lock 30 cycles per second. This is everything from audio processing to gameplay processing to video output.

Somebody said they can already adjust this refresh rate to 60 fps but the game runs really fast when that happens. Just like old console games.

The resolution lock makes no sense though. None at all. Already the community fixed it, before the game was even launched. That's just suspicious as hell.

Wasdie

There is a method that is used to make mechanics in the game run the same regardless of the system speed. I just know it as deltaTime.

#38 Posted by Fizzman (9892 posts) -

I was soooo excited for Dark Souls when it was first announced. Unfortuantely after all the previews started to pour in, i completely lost interest. A day one purchase turned into a five dollar steam sale purchase.

#39 Posted by Mazoch (2472 posts) -

Wasdie

I have to disagree with your theory. For one thing it's a whole lot of effort and money to go through just to make yourself look bad. If they didnt want to invest in the PC Market all they'd have had to do was to not do so.

My personal guess is that they let they excitement overshadow their knowledge and experience. How often do you see a hundred thousand fans begging you to let them buy your product?

However what could easily have happened was that people at from made incorrect assumptions on how hard it would be and how much work, time and effort would be needed to make a port. Add a few issues such as poorly documented code, one or two key engineers no longer being on the team and everything quickly becomes a huge mess. Those are obviously guesses on my part, but I just dont see why anyone would deliberately work on the PC, make a bad product and offend a large part of the gaming community, just to avoid working on the PC in the future.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#40 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

What I find more startling is that this dude could make it run at a better resolution than the devs themselves. How does that even happen? and I think a 60 fps mod will arise shortly too and put the devs to even more shame.

#41 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

Thank god there is still some websites and people that will call a bad port a bad port when thats the case. People have the right to know about these sorts of things.

I have only complained about two games out of 500+ I own (SR2 and RE4), but these last two from the 2+ hours I played of each of them, are down right BAD PORTS, no other way to put it.

If these issues in these games are not a big deal to you then fine, so be it but that does not mean everyone else wants to spend full price on half assed PC ports. I have made that mistake myself in the past with SR2 and RE4 and I will not make that mistake again, I will try games that look to have bad ports at friends places before I buy them myself (or hell even rent or buy the console version).

What makes this annoying is that all the 4 games I dislike the PC ports to are all good games overall they just had crappy crappy pc versions done up. Its not like they are bad games that have crappy PC versions, they are all games I have enjoyed either on other systems before or previous games in the series that unfortunatly have bad PC versions.

#42 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

I don't really get how anybody is defending this. Played some of it at my friend's house and it was TERRIBLE. This is a bad port, plain and simple.

#43 Posted by Mazoch (2472 posts) -

What I find more startling is that this dude could make it run at a better resolution than the devs themselves. How does that even happen? and I think a 60 fps mod will arise shortly too and put the devs to even more shame.

seanmcloughlin

Random guesses on my part since I obviously havent worked the game :P

In my experience it's typically something that you wouldnt expect. For example, people are mentioning that messages are not appearing on screen. It could easily be an issue where there was no way to fix messaging or movement or cinematic or menus because those functions were programmed in a way that prevented it from being adjusted without a major re-write of a core system.

The perfect example is what Wasdie talked about with the 30 FPS cap. Normally you wouldnt expect there to be a link between the FPS and the games speed, but often, ounce you pop the hood on software like this you find some really surprising dependencies that might have made sense on fixed PS3 hardware but become a huge mess when you suddenly try to make the game do something that wasnt intended when they wrote the original code.

#44 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

I don't really get how anybody is defending this. Played some of it at my friend's house and it was TERRIBLE. This is a bad port, plain and simple.

airshocker

The funny part to me is how we get called ELITIST or SNOBBY PC GAMER,etc.. when in reality we just don't like to support lazy ports, period. The hours I played of Darksiders2 and Dark Souls at my friends was horrible and I actually felt bad for them having bought these games, as they felt and looked the same as I had years before when I got Saints row2's crappy pc port and RE4 crappy pc port.

Not a elitist or snobby pc gamer at all, graphics are probably my least favorite aspect in games, I love old school games and I love indie games that dont have the greatest graphics, but a lazy port is still a lazy port in my book and I wont support them.

#45 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9681 posts) -
I was very excited for this game on PC because it would be a whole lot better with keyboard and mouse controls. It's not really worth spending $40 for a product that is identical to the console version and unplayable without a controller when I could just go pick up the game on PS3 for half that price.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#46 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Mazoch

In my experience it's typically something that you wouldnt expect. For example, people are mentioning that messages are not appearing on screen. It could easily be an issue where there was no way to fix messaging or movement or cinematic or menus because those functions were programmed in a way that prevented it from being adjusted without a major re-write of a core system.

The perfect example is what Wasdie talked about with the 30 FPS cap. Normally you wouldnt expect there to be a link between the FPS and the games speed, but often, ounce you pop the hood on software like this you find some really surprising dependencies that might have made sense on fixed PS3 hardware but become a huge mess when you suddenly try to make the game do something that wasnt intended when they wrote the original code.

Well the text issues are fixed in the mod now and it runs fine with no problems so far I can see.

As for the 30 fps thing I really don't know. But again the dude made the mod BEFORE he got his hands on the actualy game. And applied it in 23 mins. That's startling when you think about it and the bugs it had were ironed out in a few hours by him

#48 Posted by airshocker (31700 posts) -

The funny part to me is how we get called ELITIST or SNOBBY PC GAMER,etc.. when in reality we just don't like to support lazy ports, period. The hours I played of Darksiders2 and Dark Souls at my friends was horrible and I actually felt bad for them having bought these games, as they felt and looked the same as I had years before when I got Saints row2's crappy pc port and RE4 crappy pc port.

Not a elitist or snobby pc gamer at all, graphics are probably my least favorite aspect in games, I love old school games and I love indie games that dont have the greatest graphics, but a lazy port is still a lazy port in my book and I wont support them.

kozzy1234

Completely agree. I remember trying to play RE4 on the PC. Holy sh*t, couldn't get past the first level it was so bad.

#49 Posted by Lach0121 (11193 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mazoch"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

But again the dude made the mod BEFORE he got his hands on the actualy game. And applied it in 23 mins. That's startling when you think about it and the bugs it had were ironed out in a few hours by him

This is why I am still so hopeful for the future of gaming. Along with game engines making it easier for these people to have more to work with, like the modding community, and the indie devs.

Even despite the fact that several publishers (and often investors) are literally ruining it.

#50 Posted by Advid-Gamer (4883 posts) -

:lol: Kozzy you get laid off, grounded or something. Or are you the new king of the cry babies?