Gabe Newell on E3 "We are not announcing Half-Life 3..."

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

No Half Life 3, Portal 3 or L4D3 at E3 2012If anybody hasn't seen this yet, its dissapointing news for people like myself who was expecting something of a HL3 announcement at E3 this year, people were calling fake at first but there appears to be sufficient evidence that it is real in the link. Thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
So, Episode 3 is still a possibility?
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

What the hell is wrong with them? Half-life is what made Valve. They need to stop neglecting the franchise.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Valve can't count to 3. Do you see how many 3's are in your post OP? Well...

DO YOU?

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

So Gabe eats alot..can someone poison him and then only give him the cure if he starts making Half Life 3 ? The sad thing is I want to get over it but I crave for HL3 every single year, I want to say F off to Valve, but in the end I know ill crawl back and buy the game when it comes out:(

quebec946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 quebec946
Member since 2007 • 1607 Posts

What the hell is wrong with them? Half-life is what made Valve. They need to stop neglecting the franchise.

hartsickdiscipl

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

So, Episode 3 is still a possibility? ferret-gamer

I think it's more likely that HL2: Episode 3 will never see the light of day. Episodic gaming was something of an experiment, and while it worked in some genres for some developers (mostly episodic adventures like the Sam & Max series), it just didn't work out for Valve. When it takes almost as long to produce an episode as it takes some developers to produce a full game, it's just not realistic to continue with that model. I remember Gabe doing an interview a long time ago where they talked about this.

At this point they would be better off just focusing on making a full-blown HL3 game to round off the series as a trilogy, and then move on.

Having said that, what I think might work is if they made a short movie giving a grand finale to the Half Life 2 story arc. If fans can put out high quality short story videos of people trying to escape City 17 - then it should be well within Valve's capability to produce a high-quality movie 30 mins to 1 hour in length that finalises that storyline.

Other studios 'fill in gaps' in storylines by using other media like comics, novels, or movies (eg., Final Fantasy), so the precedent is there.

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 supras989

DO YOU?

Masenkoe

When they try to sing ABC by M Jackson "ABC easy as 1, 2 uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 supras989

Personally I'm still holding out for an announcement of sorts this year, maybe an ARG portal 2 style, I'm really grasping for straws though, I know deep down we probably won't see anything this year.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

hartsickdiscipl

I wish I never finished the Half-Life 2 episodes 1 and 2. I need something to cling on.. didn't expect such a wait for Ep3 or HL3. :lol: But yeah, I agree with this comment wholeheartedly. Aside from Starcraft 1 and Diablo, Half Life was the game that I attracted me to Valve and PC gaming.

Winchester39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Winchester39
Member since 2012 • 35 Posts
mind freak!
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

I am still sitting on EP1 and EP2, haven't touched them, just waiting for a 3 of some kind to come out.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Elann2008

I am still sitting on EP1 and EP2, haven't touched them, just waiting for a 3 of some kind to come out.

GummiRaccoon
That's smart. Don't be like me.
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Someone needs to call McDonald's and tell them to not server Gaben anymore untill he gives us some valid INFO about the next Half-Life game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

So, Episode 3 is still a possibility? ferret-gamer

i hope it's not happening. i really wish they use all their resources to make HL3.

?The problem is,? suggests Gabe, ?we think that the twists and turns that [HL3's development is] going through would probably drive people more crazy than just being silent about it, until we can be very crisp about what's happening next.?

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

I wasn't expecting for Gabe to even bother announcing HL3 ... after episode 3 was getting so delayed it kinda gave a hint that Valve is thinking of freezing the franchise ...

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

GummiRaccoon
haha honestly I won't be surprised if we don't get a new half life game for another 5 years. No I am not exaggerating, I am seriously thinking that Valve won't create another half life game for that time period. Episode 2 came out what 4 years ago or something? I think as of right now they aren't planning on a new half life game for that long is my pessimistic thought.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46299 Posts

Maybe a new Day of Defeat ?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Elann2008
[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

gunmaster55555
haha honestly I won't be surprised if we don't get a new half life game for another 5 years. No I am not exaggerating, I am seriously thinking that Valve won't create another half life game for that time period. Episode 2 came out what 4 years ago or something? I think as of right now they aren't planning on a new half life game for that long is my pessimistic thought.

And you're not wrong for thinking and believing that way. I honestly believe Valve has an inkling of that same thought in the back of their minds. It's probably THE game that will have to live up to the biggest amount of expectation, ever. And if they do not deliver, people's hearts, the fans will be crushed. They're remaining silent, developing this game, Valve Handbook in one hand, ideas, imagination, thoughts in the other, and they will deliver (one day). And when that day comes, whether it be this generation or next generation, Half Life 3 will reach out to millions and it will be remembered for another 20 years.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k

And you're not wrong for thinking and believing that way. I honestly believe Valve has an inkling of that same thought in the back of their minds. It's probably THE game that will have to live up to the biggest amount of expectation, ever. And if they do not deliver, people's hearts, the fans will be crushed. They're remaining silent, developing this game, Valve Handbook in one hand, ideas, imagination, thoughts in the other, and they will deliver (one day). And when that day comes, whether it be this generation or next generation, Half Life 3 will reach out to millions and it will be remembered for another 20 years.Elann2008

But Half Life 2 had the biggest amount of expectation too because it was the sequel to Half Life.

I think they know how to make a great sequel that will please the fans.

I get why they won't announce HL3 yet, because it would overshadow both DOTA 2 and CS:GO and as a company that's not a smart decision.

But 9 years ? I seriously hope not. I really hope they announce HL3 after they released DOTA 2 and CS:GO but who knows.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

So that meens Either day of defeat 2 or TF3 the Super Hat Sim

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

GummiRaccoon
truthfully me too....
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#23 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

I love how on a recent podcast when asked about Half-Life 3/Episode 3, Gabe couldn't refer to it by name and instead had to refer to it in code as "Ricochet 2". :P

Well, the gap between Half-Life and Half-Life 2 was 6 years. If we're counting from Episode 2 in 2007, we've only had 5 years. ;)

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

hartsickdiscipl

Thing is...I don't think they're neglecting it at all. Quite the opposite, actually.

I'm pretty much certain that they've been working on it for years, and are just unwilling to reveal anything or get people's hopes up until the game meets their extremely high standards (their design goal for Half-Life 2 was 'make the best game ever'; it's safe to say that they have the same goal for Half-Life 3).

Half-Life 1 and 2 both took six years to make under their intensive development process (including tons of playtesting, re-writes, scrapping and rebuilding of entire sections, and so on), so it shouldn't come as any surprise that Half-Life 3 could potentially take that long too.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k

So that meens Either day of defeat 2 or TF3 the Super Hat Sim

James161324

As much as I would love a new Day of Defeat I doubt there will ever be one. Valve can't even be bugged to implement fixes to the game that have long been finished.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

hartsickdiscipl
I think they are scared stiff of their own Half-Life fan-base. Also, I think they are content with riding on the laurels of their Half-Life 1/2 fame. Why risk the chance of damaging their reputation by making Half-Life 3 and then not meeting the impossible hype and expectation?
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

mirgamer

I think they are scared stiff of their own Half-Life fan-base. Also, I think they are content with riding on the laurels of their Half-Life 1/2 fame. Why risk the chance of damaging their reputation by making Half-Life 3 and then not meeting the impossible hype and expectation?

By that logic, why make Half-Life 2? Half-Life 1 got just as much praise.

I agree that the slow development time is the result of high expectations, but Valve isn't afraid to innovate. They'll keep trying until they get it right.

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
At this point they might just be waiting for the next consoles to come out, and release HL 3 on the PC and consoles at the same time. That's how their currently releases have been going (The Orange Box, L4D, L4D2, Portal 2)
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
It's coming, just not this year people, relax... Not like we don't have some awesome games coming out soon, we'll have plenty of alternatives.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
Agree with that point, it seems to me Valve is waiting on next gen consoles and had been working on HL:3 for some time. No matter when it comes out, it will be worth the wait. HL:2 and Orange Box is still top level for years since it came out.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
To be honest, I couldn't care less if they just stop making Half Life and move on to something with a bit more substance.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
To be honest, I couldn't care less if they just stop making Half Life and move on to something with a bit more substance.SKaREO
lol
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SKaREO
Half Life + Persistent Sandbox MMO perhaps? That would be an interesting game. Something that requires the Internet would be nice. I don't play single-player games anymore.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
Half Life + Persistent Sandbox MMO perhaps? That would be an interesting game. Something that requires the Internet would be nice. I don't play single-player games anymore.SKaREO
It would be a disgrace for Valve, developers that pride themselves on making fun as opposed to addictive games, to develop an MMOG. I'm rather looking forward to HL3DM.
Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

DO YOU?

Masenkoe

valveloves2

Cs go is quite alot different than css. So you may say its 3rd installement. But people still think that even css isnt cs2. And I think valve has said same thing.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Elann2008

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

Planeforger

Thing is...I don't think they're neglecting it at all. Quite the opposite, actually.

I'm pretty much certain that they've been working on it for years, and are just unwilling to reveal anything or get people's hopes up until the game meets their extremely high standards (their design goal for Half-Life 2 was 'make the best game ever'; it's safe to say that they have the same goal for Half-Life 3).

Half-Life 1 and 2 both took six years to make under their intensive development process (including tons of playtesting, re-writes, scrapping and rebuilding of entire sections, and so on), so it shouldn't come as any surprise that Half-Life 3 could potentially take that long too.

Not to mention they would have to refine the graphics to meet today's standards. Let's say they started since 2004-2005. By now, they would have had to rework the graphics engine at least once (at least on the level of Portal 2 if not better), and then they have to touch it up again (understatement), to meet next-gen standards. There's no doubt that Half-Life 3 will be for next-gen consoles, and not this generation.

On the contrary, I still think Half-Life 2 has aged gracefully, and it still crushes many recent games.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
They are holding out for next generation consoles... 100% guaranteed that we wont see a announcement till those PS4/720 are announced. With the success of Portal 2, Orange Box, Left 4 Dead on consoles with the almighty Counter Strike coming out later this year its safe to assume they will be making HL3 on a new engine or a heavily modified version of the current engine that won't make its way to current console hardware. 2013 E3 we will see HL3.
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

Not Half Life 3.... Episode 3!!!!!!!!!

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

what was that other game they were working on which was a bit like portal but not.

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#40 toddx77
Member since 2008 • 3395 Posts

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

DO YOU?

Nohtnym

valveloves2

Cs go is quite alot different than css. So you may say its 3rd installement. But people still think that even css isnt cs2. And I think valve has said same thing.

lol nice pic did you make that?

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SKaREO
What is it you expect to see in Half-Life 3 that wasn't already exhaustively covered in the other two? I have to know, because Half-Life is literally the most boring FPS ever made. Great for modding, but otherwise the games sucks.
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
gabe said he had canceled their Portal 2 announcment at E3.
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mep69
What is it you expect to see in Half-Life 3 that wasn't already exhaustively covered in the other two? I have to know, because Half-Life is literally the most boring FPS ever made. Great for modding, but otherwise the games sucks.SKaREO
obvious troll is obvious. Is someone looking for some arguments just to say " you mad ?" No one cares for you, here or in real life.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SKaREO
[QUOTE="SKaREO"]What is it you expect to see in Half-Life 3 that wasn't already exhaustively covered in the other two? I have to know, because Half-Life is literally the most boring FPS ever made. Great for modding, but otherwise the games sucks.mep69
obvious troll is obvious. Is someone looking for some arguments just to say " you mad ?" No one cares for you, here or in real life.

No I'm not trolling I'm serious. Half-Life is boring and uneventful. I prefer games that require hardcore gaming skills, not just a puzzle-shooter for children. Again, I'm not trolling, I'm dead serious. What is HL3 going to introduce that hasn't been done to death already?
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="mep69"][QUOTE="SKaREO"]What is it you expect to see in Half-Life 3 that wasn't already exhaustively covered in the other two? I have to know, because Half-Life is literally the most boring FPS ever made. Great for modding, but otherwise the games sucks.SKaREO

No I'm not trolling I'm serious. Half-Life is boring and uneventful. I prefer games that require hardcore gaming skills, not just a puzzle-shooter for children. Again, I'm not trolling, I'm dead serious. What is HL3 going to introduce that hasn't been done to death already?

"I hate the game that introduces something revolutionary when there are 100 clones of it."

HL and HL2 were years ahead gameplay wise when they came out. We want half life 3 because we are expecting the same level of innovation.

People that enjoy puzzle shooters like HL2 are typically older than the twitch shooter enthusiasts. Nice personal attack against people that enjoy something you don't. Go back to quake live or CS if that is how you feel. (If you play anything other than those 2, you are not playing a game that requires hardcore skills)

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SKaREO

[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="mep69"] obvious troll is obvious. Is someone looking for some arguments just to say " you mad ?" No one cares for you, here or in real life.GummiRaccoon

"I hate the game that introduces something revolutionary when there are 100 clones of it."

HL and HL2 were years ahead gameplay wise when they came out. We want half life 3 because we are expecting the same level of innovation.

People that enjoy puzzle shooters like HL2 are typically older than the twitch shooter enthusiasts. Nice personal attack against people that enjoy something you don't. Go back to quake live or CS if that is how you feel. (If you play anything other than those 2, you are not playing a game that requires hardcore skills)

Ok sure, we could throw logical fallacies around all day. Checkers could be more mature than Chess even though it's less hardcore and has almost zero competitive scene. Sure. Blah blah blah. You don't want a game, you want a 10,000 piece puzzle kit. I play FPS games to shoot you in the face, not to sit around with a crossword chit chatting about the wonder years.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="SKaREO"] No I'm not trolling I'm serious. Half-Life is boring and uneventful. I prefer games that require hardcore gaming skills, not just a puzzle-shooter for children. Again, I'm not trolling, I'm dead serious. What is HL3 going to introduce that hasn't been done to death already?SKaREO

Ok sure, we could throw logical fallacies around all day. Checkers could be more mature than Chess even though it's less hardcore and has almost zero competitive scene. Sure. Blah blah blah. You don't want a game, you want a 10,000 piece puzzle kit. I play FPS games to shoot you in the face, not to sit around with a crossword chit chatting about the wonder years.

Crossword puzzle are also primarily done by older people.

Congratulations on being 18.

I'm sure you have tons of fun playing CoD

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mep69
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

No I'm not trolling I'm serious. Half-Life is boring and uneventful. I prefer games that require hardcore gaming skills, not just a puzzle-shooter for children. Again, I'm not trolling, I'm dead serious. What is HL3 going to introduce that hasn't been done to death already?SKaREO

Not everyone wants a mindless Online only game, playing with annoying chavy children spaming their mics annoying people. People play Half-Life because Valve know how to make it. They have mastered Story telling, if you find it boring we don't care. We find you boring; this is a thread about Half-Life. If you have a negitive attitude, then don't post here.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SKaREO
Since nobody answered the question I think it's safe to say that if there ever is a HL3, it will be the same regurgitated crap that it's always been. I'm more interested to see the new engine and the mods that will come out of it.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Since nobody answered the question I think it's safe to say that if there ever is a HL3, it will be the same regurgitated crap that it's always been. I'm more interested to see the new engine and the mods that will come out of it.SKaREO
We get it, you don't like popular games.