FINALLY a Breath of Fresh Air in an MMO...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I'm talking about THE SECRET WORLD.

Just released this week and 1.5 million playing already. (including ME and Elann2008 which we both love).

Finally an MMO which tries to be different, and it's plenty different. From the LEVELESS Levels and Characters, to the Ability Wheel which lets you be whatever you want to be.

The best thing about this game are the graphics, sound, atmosphere and story telling.

There are also missions where you need to investigate and find clues instead of just grinding.....even search on the Internet using the in-game browser.

Highly recommend this game but be warned it's not for everyone.

So far I'm playing this and not even interested in Guild Wars 2 (which I have pre-ordered)

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

never even heard of it, but it's bound to be a WoW killer.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Sounds interesting. Any PvP?
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

When I played the beta it was awful. Really awful. The atmosphere was the only thing that was remotley good about it. Everything else especially the combat, sucked.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
I've heard from several of my friends who play that the combat system is so bad and broken that it undermines the rest of the gameplay/atmosphere.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I've heard nothing but bad things about this game.:?

WizardGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WizardGlass
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

except it is horrible.... and the shareholders know it.

"Funcom shares tank following Secret World launch".

this will most likely be the last game FUNCOM ever releases. too many horrible flops in a row.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Too late to get into the beta?

Also, is there a montly fee?

trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

Sounds interesting. Any PvP?KHAndAnime

I do not own the game yet but have played in many of the beta's. Yes there is PvP (2 battlegrounds, and a persistent 100% PvP zone), my only complaint about it is that from beta perspective players tended to die in...4-5 seconds, unless they were stupidly geared or something. I have a feeling (at least hope so) that it is more balanced as of now. Also, making a concentrated, uber PvP build out of the 500+ abilities given was a blast.

My impressions of the beta was personally that the game was amazing. I *LOVED* the feel and atmosphere of the game. I see all the complaints about the combat, but to me it plays just like WoW except with more versatility. The active dodging was a nice addition and the sheer capabilities unlocked by the ability wheel was great. I had a ton of very, very cool builds that I made. If anything the first 3 dungeons or so of the game was incredibly fun and strategic. I intend to pick TSW up after waiting a month or so and see how things pan out, but I had a lot of fun in beta doing the quests/dungeons/PvP.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside
I didn't find the combat THAT bad. It plays pretty well and the ability wheel (with 500 abilities to mix and match) makes you able to do infinite builds. I never played the Beta but the final product is pretty well optimized (it has some FPS issues in some parts which they are fixing). Like I said before, it's not for everyone....so lots of complaints come from those who expect something like WoW.
KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

Havn`t really heard anything about this, but maybe i`ll check it out.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

When I played the beta it was awful. Really awful. The atmosphere was the only thing that was remotley good about it. Everything else especially the combat, sucked.

HyperWarlock
you had the same impression has me but I've pre-order the game anyway because I was bored and found out they fixed a lot of things from the beta. I really enjoy the game, the puzzles and the atmosphere are refreshing.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Got it today, however due to crashes as a cause of lack of memory and fixing that would have me do a clean install, I've canceled the subscription. The little I got the play was pretty good though. And No, I will not do a clean install just to play one game. Later on perhaps, If I'm lucky it's still going strong then
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Treflis"]Got it today, however due to crashes as a cause of lack of memory and fixing that would have me do a clean install, I've canceled the subscription. The little I got the play was pretty good though. And No, I will not do a clean install just to play one game. Later on perhaps, If I'm lucky it's still going strong then

I had crashes but it was because my video card driver was outdated. I installed the latest driver and now works perfect.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Got it today, however due to crashes as a cause of lack of memory and fixing that would have me do a clean install, I've canceled the subscription. The little I got the play was pretty good though. And No, I will not do a clean install just to play one game. Later on perhaps, If I'm lucky it's still going strong thenFelipeInside
I had crashes but it was because my video card driver was outdated. I installed the latest driver and now works perfect.

With mine it was because I apparently used the Windows 7 32 bit OS.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
I asked this on another forum...can you play this game in a first person mode?
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Electronic Arts? Won't buy. Won't even bother looking at it, don't care.
8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
Will probably end up being a huge blunder.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Looks really meh. I don't see anything "fresh" about it and it still has the same old generic combat that 90% of MMORPG's have... It will be F2P after awhile.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23929 Posts

I'm talking about THE SECRET WORLD.

Just released this week and 1.5 million playing already. (including ME and Elann2008 which we both love).

Finally an MMO which tries to be different, and it's plenty different. From the LEVELESS Levels and Characters, to the Ability Wheel which lets you be whatever you want to be.

The best thing about this game are the graphics, sound, atmosphere and story telling.

There are also missions where you need to investigate and find clues instead of just grinding.....even search on the Internet using the in-game browser.

Highly recommend this game but be warned it's not for everyone.

So far I'm playing this and not even interested in Guild Wars 2 (which I have pre-ordered)

FelipeInside

While the red parts have already been done before. I am so darn glad someone is finally doing those things again. So darn relieved.

I am waiting for the game to go down in a good price, then I will get it. I heard great things about it from a friend, who is a fellow gamespotter if I may add ;)

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

comabt is a mofo and their e-shop is so busted its stupid. gamespot user ownsin got banned for jsut trying to make a purchase in the e-shop and getting a generic system error

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside
I asked this on another forum...can you play this game in a first person mode?Gooeykat
You can zoom in all the way but it's not optimal to play like that.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]Looks really meh. I don't see anything "fresh" about it and it still has the same old generic combat that 90% of MMORPG's have... It will be F2P after awhile.

Looked really meh to me too until I tried it, then you realize it does lots of things differently.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside
Electronic Arts? Won't buy. Won't even bother looking at it, don't care.SKaREO
Right, cause the Publisher determines if a game is good or not (not the developer). Leave this forum with ur EA Hate or contribute something useful.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jebus213
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Jebus213"]Looks really meh. I don't see anything "fresh" about it and it still has the same old generic combat that 90% of MMORPG's have... It will be F2P after awhile.

Looked really meh to me too until I tried it, then you realize it does lots of things differently.

Like?
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23929 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Jebus213"]Looks really meh. I don't see anything "fresh" about it and it still has the same old generic combat that 90% of MMORPG's have... It will be F2P after awhile. Jebus213

Like?

Individuality, progression, quest design, lack of talent tree non-sense.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Not really.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Jebus213"]Looks really meh. I don't see anything "fresh" about it and it still has the same old generic combat that 90% of MMORPG's have... It will be F2P after awhile.

Like?

The things I said before: - Atmosphere. It's like playing Alan Wake in MMO mode. - Sound, it has amazing sound which even scares me in parts. - Ability Wheel. Instead of talent tree depending on each class, there are no classes and it's just one big wheel with 500+ abilities to mix and match (with only 7 active and 7 passives at one time, ala Guild Wars 1) - Missions, believe it or not, they are quite different. From talking to people, to learning how to assemble guns, to finding clues etc etc - Clothing doesn't equal talent, gear and abilities do. You can look simple and be powerful, and vice-versa. - Story-telling, so far the best I've seen in an MMO. (I've only scratched the surface though) I'm not saying it's all new, but it tries to be different and succeeds in lots of ways. BUT again, it's not for everyone. If ur looking for an MMO with lots of loot or best gameplay, move along. If ur looking to be immersed into a dark world and story-telling, buy it.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside

Not really.

Am_Confucius
Have you played it?
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

glad to see someone else is enjoying it. What build did you start with felipeinside? Also the questing in this game isn't for everyone. This game goes way beyond the normal kill quests in MMOs and forces you to do research with the clues givin. last quest took me 2 hours to figure out

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

glad to see someone else is enjoying it. What build did you start with felipeinside? Also the questing in this game isn't for everyone. This game goes way beyond the normal kill quests in MMOs and forces you to do research with the clues givin. last quest took me 2 hours to figure out

lawlessx
I'm a Templar, currently with a sword and blood magic, but since the game is in the real world, I think I'm going to change into a guy with a SWORD and a MACHINE GUN :) :) :) The quests and atmosphere are what keep me interested. Love that some of them you have to search on the Internet with fake website or just Google. The mission I did today took me 40 minutes just to find the clue on one of the walls.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FelipeInside
Live Stream for anyone interested: http://au.gamespot.com/features/the-secret-world-live-stream-extravaganza-6384944/
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

i was in the first beta weekend they did and i do like the style of the game the graphics are very good for an mmo and the atmosphere and setting is pretty unique too that sad i cant say i was a fan of the combat but i didn't get to spend much time with it. It does seem like its inevitable that this game will end up f2p though.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

i was in the first beta weekend they did and i do like the style of the game the graphics are very good for an mmo and the atmosphere and setting is pretty unique too that sad i cant say i was a fan of the combat but i didn't get to spend much time with it. It does seem like its inevitable that this game will end up f2p though.

Gen007
I didn't play the Betas but lots of players have said that they have improved the combat and actually listened to the feedback and changed the things recommended. For me the combat is normal, just like any other MMO, but this MMO isn't all about combat. As for F2P, yeah....most MMOs these days can't sustain a subscription model, but that's fine with me....means I won't have to pay $15 a month to play it.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

except it is horrible.... and the shareholders know it.

"Funcom shares tank following Secret World launch".

this will most likely be the last game FUNCOM ever releases. too many horrible flops in a row.

WizardGlass

Far from a flop. It's a brilliant game. I played in the beta as well and ended buying retail and I love it. Didn't like it that much in beta. Best MMO I've ever played and I've played many, extensively. And also my current GOTY, if I had to choose one now.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Elann2008

lawlessx
This. Questing is FUN again. Awesome quest structures and some are challenging.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

HyperWarlock

You realize that a beta is not a demo, right?

I played the beta and thought the same too. I did however give in because of the skill system and my boredom. I must say that the beta definitely felt a lot worse than the live game. I am throughly enjoying my experience. A lot of references, lore and areas to explore. PVP is fun with its constant zone where you battle it out to hold points which give buffs.

Overall I did not expect it to be this good. I do worry about endgame content, but am definitely enjoying this darker themed MMO. Funcom has almost redeemed themselves in my eyes.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

I played the beta and thought the same too. I did however give in because of the skill system and my boredom. I must say that the beta definitely felt a lot worse than the live game. I am throughly enjoying my experience. A lot of references, lore and areas to explore. PVP is fun with its constant zone where you battle it out to hold points which give buffs.

Overall I did not expect it to be this good. I do worry about endgame content, but am definitely enjoying this darker themed MMO. Funcom has almost redeemed themselves in my eyes.

They have also said that their MMO is not about end-game like every other MMO, but about story-telling, setting and atmosphere through-out (hence why there are no levels). Each areas has lots of missions anyway and keeps you occupied for hundreds of hours.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Elann2008

[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

FelipeInside

They have also said that their MMO is not about end-game like every other MMO, but about story-telling, setting and atmosphere through-out (hence why there are no levels). Each areas has lots of missions anyway and keeps you occupied for hundreds of hours.

I've been playing for 2 days nearly nonstop and I'm still in the first area - Kingsmouth. lol I honestly feel like this game was made for me. It's wonderful.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I keep seeing a lot of mixed opinions on this game. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I was burned with AoC and I'm still fairly bitter about it.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

The focus is on story and questing right? So basically, it's another linear story-driven theme-park MMO, but with a few new tricks. Might be interesting for theme-park players I guess...

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jebus213
Gameplay>>story
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Looks incredibly boring and cheesy to me, but to each their own.

IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

The focus is on story and questing right? So basically, it's another linear story-driven theme-park MMO, but with a few new tricks. Might be interesting for theme-park players I guess...

QQabitmoar

I do not like themepark MMOs, yet this one is quite fun. I like the stratedgy on choosing your 7 skills and 7 passives out of 500+. The questing and story you are so quick to dismiss is pretty good. Its very dark themed and a modern MMO, both completely new settings. This isnt something that has been done before to this degree.

mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mr_zombie60
Member since 2007 • 560 Posts

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

I do not like themepark MMOs, yet this one is quite fun. I like the stratedgy on choosing your 7 skills and 7 passives out of 500+. The questing and story you are so quick to dismiss is pretty good. Its very dark themed and a modern MMO, both completely new settings. This isnt something that has been done before to this degree.

Does the game follow a holy trinity? Also when you do dungeons does it follow the standard trash mobs ===> boss composition?

IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

[QUOTE="IxX3xil3d0n3XxI"]

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

mr_zombie60

Does the game follow a holy trinity? Also when you do dungeons does it follow the standard trash mobs ===> boss composition?

Ive only done 1 dungeon so far. It does use the trinity of tank/dps/heal. As for bosses, there was hardly any trash in between them, the bosses took longer to kill than the trash, and I might be streching it but there was almost as much bosses as trash, about 5-6 in the first instance.
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Looked really meh to me too until I tried it, then you realize it does lots of things differently.

Like?

The things I said before: - Atmosphere. It's like playing Alan Wake in MMO mode. - Sound, it has amazing sound which even scares me in parts. - Ability Wheel. Instead of talent tree depending on each class, there are no classes and it's just one big wheel with 500+ abilities to mix and match (with only 7 active and 7 passives at one time, ala Guild Wars 1) - Missions, believe it or not, they are quite different. From talking to people, to learning how to assemble guns, to finding clues etc etc - Clothing doesn't equal talent, gear and abilities do. You can look simple and be powerful, and vice-versa. - Story-telling, so far the best I've seen in an MMO. (I've only scratched the surface though) I'm not saying it's all new, but it tries to be different and succeeds in lots of ways. BUT again, it's not for everyone. If ur looking for an MMO with lots of loot or best gameplay, move along. If ur looking to be immersed into a dark world and story-telling, buy it.

Thanks for your info, you almost seal the deal for me if not for the fact that July is my WoT month. But I hope you can keep doing this and share more of your play experience and screenshots coz I think many of the silent forum stalkers out there prolly wish to see and read more about the game.
heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

For people who are interested in finding out a bit more about it

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/03/wot-i-think-the-secret-world/

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
I don't understand the hate against theme-park MMOs, is it because of the core concept itself or the over-abundance of theme park MMOs (which doesn't necessarily mean its a bad game design). I personally enjoy theme-park MMOs, I like walking into a new area and find out new things, new atmospheres and ambience etc etc. I personally enjoy open world/sandbox MMOs as well, having played Ultima Online, Asheron's Call and of course, Eve Online. I'm glad i'm the kind of gamer that are pretty open to differing concepts, why limit yourself?
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Do you just jump onto every new MMO that comes out and try to hype it up? You did something similar with SWTOR...