Far Cry 2 impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 0

#201 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I made the decision to buy this on PC instead of my 360 but i was jsut wondering if a Nividia GeForce 7900 GS would do alright at getting it to medium - High settings? Everything else surpasses the recommended requirements.

Also how is the map editor? Is it easy to use, such is the interface streamlined and stuff? Is there a tonne of stuff to mess around with to?

htotheo

Man the editor is alot of fun. Not as in depth as Crysis's editor of course, but its the next best thing imo. Its also pretty user/noobie friendly. meaning people who dont design alot of maps to begin with can still make decent maps on this. While others with alot of experience will be able to make amazing ones (like the Eifel Tower and Pyramid ones)

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Okay, so I got it today and have played it for a few hours. Playing the game with all settings maxed and turned on, 1600x1200, 2X AA. It's usually playable with 4X AA, but occasionally I come up on areas that do cause significant slowdown, so I keep it at 2X and the game seems to stay above 20FPS. From what I can tell, it's a great game. But not fantastic. I'll probably end up rating it either an 8.0 or 8.5. I'll just go down the list of things I'm not digging so much.

-The handholding stuff with the flashing cots and medkits and highlighted signs is just stupid, and I get the feeling it's something they added when they adapted the game to consoles. It's not just annoying; highlighted signs at forks in the road mean you don't have to actually slow down and read the sign, you just follow the rainbow-colored one, and it sort of kills immersion for me when that happens.

-Enemy soldiers can take a ridiculous amount of shots. Short bursts even at point blank won't work; count on emptying at least 10 rounds into a guy with AR's to be sure he dies when you stop firing. I'm playing on normal, I should add.

-Enemy soldiers feel a little static to getting hit. They do flinch, but the animation doesn't seem right, and the blood spurts look unnatural. They look like when you put your thumb over the end of a running hose, then remove it and put it back quickly to let out a sort of short, globby gush. That's what the blood sprays look like. Overall, shooting men in the game feels like shooting a man-sized Caprisun bag. :P It doesn't help, I guess, that weapons aren't especially accurate (which is fine).

-There really is almost no interactivity. For a game with lots of objects and bobbles just lying around that do have active physics on them, so you can bump them and move them if you want, it's disappointing you can't actually do anything with them. So the environments feel kind of static, though they're better than CoD4's with its immovable, solid titanium barrels. Also, the destruction of foliage, as I had suspected, is kind of overrated. Plenty of plants aren't destructible "by the leaf." It honestly doesn't feel any better than Crysis's destruction. In fact, take into account all kinds of destruction (huts, wooden fences, breakable objects, trees), and Crysis actually has more things to destroy, and they destroy better at that thanks to a more impressive physics engine.

-ShaunMC mentioned in the GS review that lines of dialogue sound like the VA's are intentionally rushing through them to fit more audio on the disc, and I thought that was probably presumptuous at first... But he's right, that really is what it sounds like. Almost all dialogue is delivered in a sort of run-on sentence way of speaking, and one just can't help but think they're doing it on purpose. The VA's are average at best to begin with, but the short and snappy dialect makes the voicework sound downright poor overall.

-There are a lot of giant outcrops of rock beside a lot of the roads, and there's no way to actually get up on top of these and use them as vantage points or something. In effect, quite a few of the pathways feel narrow and linear, and a lot of the roadway is almost like a simple maze as opposed to just marked paths through a totally open land that you can traverse any section of if you like. Now don't get me wrong, there are some very open sections, but there are some pretty linear parts, too. And there are even some objective points that don't really feel like you can come at them from absolutely any direction you'd like.

There are some other minor points, but I don't want to keep going on about all this. In any case, if all this sounds horrible, it's not. This game is genuinely great, and most of these things feel like small annoyances or things that "could have been." I can tell without a doubt already that there's potential this game has that just wasn't exploited, as well as some slightly rough or underdeveloped aspects to the gameplay here and there, but it certainly doesn't ruin anything, and I am having quite a lot of fun playing it right now. :)

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

I made the decision to buy this on PC instead of my 360 but i was jsut wondering if a Nividia GeForce 7900 GS would do alright at getting it to medium - High settings? Everything else surpasses the recommended requirements.

htotheo

You should manage that, yeah. My dad's 8800GTS 320MB runs the game acceptably at all high and very high settings at 1680x1050. So I'd say a mix of medium and high at at least 1280x1024/1440x900 will be manageable for you.

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts
[QUOTE="htotheo"]

JP_Russell

You should manage that, yeah. My dad's 8800GTS 320MB runs the game acceptably at all high and very high settings at 1680x1050. So I'd say a mix of medium and high at at least 1280x1024/1440x900 will be manageable for you.

That's nice to hear. Also, good impressions. I hope you and others will post more - I won't be getting Far Cry 2 until a few more days atleast. I somewhat disappointed though by the general consensus: that it's not an utterly fantastic game like PC Gamer made it out to be.

dbtor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#205 dbtor
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

What do you gain from reputation? I just got "Reputation level 2" but what does that mean? :|

I find it annoying that EVERYONE is hostile to you yet in the intro when you were in the car nobody shot at you at all?

Another annoying thing is the guard posts, you clear/scout them and get the x/54 notice but then come back later and they have all respawned, really annoying and makes travelling around much harder. I even have a camo suit, get out my vehicle quite far away from the guard post and crouch in a bush no way near my car but the guards instantly get in there car and come full speed into my face...

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts
Played it for a bit just now. It runs pretty good for the graphical capabilities, although it's not up near Crysis in terms of eye candy and optimization. Gameplay seemed decent... Only played it for like 10 minutes. I'll play it more tomorrow.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Okay, so I got it today and have played it for a few hours...

JP_Russell

Nice, thx for the detailed impression JP.

What do you think of the respawning of enemies? This seems to be common complaint, and something I'm not particularly fond of either in most games.

Although if it's to a minimal degree in FC2, it's probably not much of an issue --- you have to figure/imagine enemies are on the move throughout the map as well and may "reappear" in previously cleared locations.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2470 Posts

OK, so to sum up all the user reviews, you get your typical range of responses:

1. One or two ZOMGGGGG THIS IS BEST GAME EVAR I WANT TO MARRY IT reviews by over-stimulated ADD latch-key kids who drank too much Mountain Dew while recently divorced single mom worked at local insurance office. Toss out high scores.

2. One response from that guy who finished the game two hours after he bought it and says that it's "meh." This has more to do with poster's general feelings of ennui, low self-esteem, and boredom with life than the actual game, ie, he never goes outside or has any friends. Toss out low score.

3. Rest of the reviews seem clustered around the middle of the Bell Curve, where they should be. So it seems to be a solid game, but not crazy great in league with, say, [INSERT YOUR FAVORITE GAME EVAR OMG HERE].

That is all.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts
Well im 43% on steam....hope its not a disappointment...love it or hate it is what i get from what people are saying.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#210 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

Okay, so I got it today and have played it for a few hours...

Nitrous2O

Nice, thx for the detailed impression JP.

What do you think of the respawning of enemies? This seems to be common complaint, and something I'm not particularly fond of either in most games.

Although if it's to a minimal degree in FC2, it's probably not much of an issue --- you have to figure/imagine enemies are on the move throughout the map as well and may "reappear" in previously cleared locations.

It's not to a minimal degree.

It's horrible.

Remember how many people trashed Clear Sky for the number of enemies and the respawn rate? Here it's 10x worse. The map is full of enemies, there's a guard post or a patrol to meet every minute. If you run past them, they'll follow you with the jeeps. It's very, very frustrating when it happens for the 50th time in one hour.

And they respawn very fast too, it's just a matter of minutes.

OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

I found it boring and repetitious...

Looks good ( 16x10 4AA all options maxed..like buttah )

But is still really boring...

I like open ended games but this game is just so repetitious that I can't stand spending the next 30 hours doing it over and over.

Don't get me started on the respawn...

It's almost as boring as Assassins Crud.

I gave the game away....

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2470 Posts

Well, at least we have Saint's Row 2 to look forward to--oh wait, that sucks, too.

PG gaming sucks.

nightwraith40k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 nightwraith40k
Member since 2008 • 475 Posts

Well, at least we have Saint's Row 2 to look forward to--oh wait, that sucks, too.

PG gaming sucks.

attirex

Are you stupid? These are multiplatform games, the reason why they are problems with immersion etc. is because they wanted to suit console players which nerfs the PC game.

It doesn't suck, its just not as good as it could be, if they worked on it more.

Myxisbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#214 Myxisbird
Member since 2005 • 163 Posts

Well this game was a huge disappointment... I am a huge FPS fan and I love most of em. This one is crap, no other word for it.

The game look nice at 1680x1050, optimal settings, x2 AA. But that's it, nice, nothing more. Bioshock looks much better not to mention Crysis which is in a whole different league. I'm gonna go on the limb here and say Far Cry 1 looks better. Much better to my taste.

The gameplay is full of fail as well with useless weapons that carry 120 bullets when it takes 20 bullets to kill one guy, then you spend half a battle looking for bodies just to get some bullets.

Then I was driving around and my GPS showed a clear road ahead, all of the sudden I find my self in a huge base of....someone, don't really know who they are and they slaughtered me, i didn't save before of course since I had no idea what I was going into. Car control sucks as well with the cars having the most ridiculous truning circle I've ever seen (you have to go all round the map just to make a U turn)

It's a real bummer this game, I really wanted it to be good since FC1 is one of my favorite all time games, this one is very bad.