Fallout 3 PC Freezing and Lockups

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Underworldy69
Member since 2009 • 251 Posts

EDIT: With sending Bethesda an email for support, and sending much more emails pretending to be different people asking them to patch the game up I got a message from them saying that Fallout 3 was not officially tested to run on Windows 7 so it may not completely work. Many others though can run Fallout 3 on Windows 7 though without a scratch. I am confused with this.

Like always, I guess its up to the community who paid the developer to fix the bugs and issues instead of the developer.

I am one of those who are affected by the bugs of Fallout 3.

PC Issues

-Freezing and Lockups. Where the game stops and the controls are disabled with sound still in the background. The only way out is to turn off your system by the physical power button or Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Often appears in V.A.T.S, and in smaller interior cells. It is not often in the wasteland.

I do not get CTDs (Crash to Desktop) however .

Fixes I have tried and did not work

- Final Fix - Skullptura (To Note: I have purchased this game (Game of the Year) on sale for $25 on Steam, so I needed to find some thing.

- Fallout.ini - The file, which was named Fallout_default.ini for me, could be edited to support Quad Core systems. I do not own a Quad Core.

- K-Lite Codec Pack - Did not work.

- Turn off auto save on rest, wait, and travel.

- Have all updates.

- Unoffical Patch

I am running Ultra, HDR, non-windowed, and 1920x1080

My specs:

Intel Core i3-330m 2.13 ghz (2 Cores/4 Threads)

NVidia Geforce 260m GTX 1GB

4 GB Ram

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premuim

320 GB HDD

Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

Yeah I have the same issues with Fallout 3. I have the latest patches and all, but it still crashes. i love the game, but haven't played it for a few weeks because I got tired of it crashing all the time.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
In my reccomendation use patch 1.4 and see how it goes.
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheGreatOutdoor

In my reccomendation use patch 1.4 and see how it goes.dakan45
Is this the patch you are talking about? And will this work on the Game of the year edition, because that's what I have?

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#5 bowlingotter
Member since 2005 • 6464 Posts

Hell I have the PS3 GOTY edition and it still locks up on me from time to time

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

have you tried turning settings down a tad? Most people that have problems have the settings cranked Ive noticed.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TerrorRizzing

bowlingotter
thats the worst version.
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bowlingotter
[QUOTE="bowlingotter"]

TerrorRizzing
thats the worst version.

Is 3 freezes in 30 hours of gameplay worst?
quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

Have you tried the fallout.ini fix yet (the iNumHWThreads one)? It's a fix that's not restricted to quad core machines; I've read about several instances where adding this line has solved freezing problems for dual core users.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TerrorRizzing
[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="bowlingotter"]

bowlingotter
thats the worst version.

3 freezes for you, fallout 3 never froze for me at all... does that mean the pc version has no bugs?
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bowlingotter
[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"][QUOTE="bowlingotter"][QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"] thats the worst version.

3 freezes for you, fallout 3 never froze for me at all... does that mean the pc version has no bugs?

Well that's obviously a ridiculous statement considering the existence of this thread. If you mean visually, yes, the PS3 version would be the weakest of the 3 in the form of more jaggies and weaker draw distance and lighting. I have the PC version of the original release and the PS3 version of GOTY (gifted to me). In the end, it's still the same game.
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheGreatOutdoor

Have you tried the fallout.ini fix yet (the iNumHWThreads one)? It's a fix that's not restricted to quad core machines; I've read about several instances where adding this line has solved freezing problems for dual core users.

quijeros

I did and it didn't fix anything for me. In fact, it made things worse for me.

TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheGreatOutdoor

[QUOTE="bowlingotter"][QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"] thats the worst version.TerrorRizzing

No, it just means you are lucky. I am on the PC version.

Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Underworldy69

have you tried turning settings down a tad? Most people that have problems have the settings cranked Ive noticed.

TerrorRizzing
I have lowered the resolution a tad bit down and had little luck. I also changed Ultra to High and no luck. Maybe a bit lower?
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Underworldy69
In my reccomendation use patch 1.4 and see how it goes.dakan45
Alright. Would it effect DLC though?
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
[QUOTE="dakan45"]In my reccomendation use patch 1.4 and see how it goes.Underworldy69

You gonna have to uninstall and reinstall the game plus the dlc but it will work.
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="dakan45"]In my reccomendation use patch 1.4 and see how it goes.dakan45

You gonna have to uninstall and reinstall the game plus the dlc but it will work.

Alright. im gonna try it.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"] Alright. Would it effect DLC though?

did it work? Try installing the game and all the DLC but don't install the unofficial patch, just install the official patch :)
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="dakan45"] You gonna have to uninstall and reinstall the game plus the dlc but it will work.

did it work? Try installing the game and all the DLC but don't install the unofficial patch, just install the official patch :)

Its installing via Steam (a hell of a long time), lol. Would it work with Steam?
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 guildclaws
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"] Alright. im gonna try it.

Its installing via Steam (a hell of a long time), lol. Would it work with Steam?

you bought it on Steam? Yes you can patch the game if you have the steam version :)
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"]did it work? Try installing the game and all the DLC but don't install the unofficial patch, just install the official patch :)guildclaws

you bought it on Steam? Yes you can patch the game if you have the steam version :)

Yep, but I also have the Skullptura's rip of the game (because I thought the finalfix for that version would work. it didn't.) I have bought a physical copy when I had a different PC and my cousin stole it and he gave it to me broken.
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"]did it work? Try installing the game and all the DLC but don't install the unofficial patch, just install the official patch :)guildclaws

No luck.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 guildclaws
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"] Its installing via Steam (a hell of a long time), lol. Would it work with Steam?

Yep, but I also have the Skullptura's rip of the game (because I thought the finalfix for that version would work. it didn't.) I have bought a physical copy when I had a different PC and my cousin stole it and he gave it to me broken.

what's a skullrupta rip?
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 guildclaws
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"] Its installing via Steam (a hell of a long time), lol. Would it work with Steam?

No luck.

really? I didn't really know that, so is the Fallout 3 still freezing again? Did you fix the bug?
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"]you bought it on Steam? Yes you can patch the game if you have the steam version :)guildclaws

what's a skullrupta rip?

A version by the game ripped by Skullptura with a finalfix that is supposed to be less crashy than the original legit copy. I had no luck though. Also, maybe I should delete Game for Windows Live before the patch? I have an account on it.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 guildclaws
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"] Yep, but I also have the Skullptura's rip of the game (because I thought the finalfix for that version would work. it didn't.) I have bought a physical copy when I had a different PC and my cousin stole it and he gave it to me broken.

what's a skullrupta rip?

A version by the game ripped by Skullptura with a finalfix that is supposed to be less crashy than the original legit copy. I had no luck though. Also, maybe I should delete Game for Windows Live before the patch? I have an account on it.

isn't that pirating?, try updating your Games For Windows Live 3.0, it's not because of your GFWL account, did you tried it without a mod or without an unofficial patch? I think that will work
bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bowlingotter
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"]what's a skullrupta rip?guildclaws

isn't that pirating?, try updating your Games For Windows Live 3.0, it's not because of your GFWL account, did you tried it without a mod or without an unofficial patch? I think that will work

It's pirating if you don't own a copy of the game. He owns a copy. It's then considered a legal backup.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 guildclaws
[QUOTE="bowlingotter"][QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"] A version by the game ripped by Skullptura with a finalfix that is supposed to be less crashy than the original legit copy. I had no luck though. Also, maybe I should delete Game for Windows Live before the patch? I have an account on it.

It's pirating if you don't own a copy of the game. He owns a copy. It's then considered a legal backup.

did TC solve the problem? I hope he solved the problem :)
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="bowlingotter"][QUOTE="guildclaws"]isn't that pirating?, try updating your Games For Windows Live 3.0, it's not because of your GFWL account, did you tried it without a mod or without an unofficial patch? I think that will workguildclaws

did TC solve the problem? I hope he solved the problem :)

Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition finally re-installed. Steam takes a hell of a long time install them but hopefully this would work. I mostly think though that this is Bethesda's problem and that they should update it, considering that it seems like they haven't been developing games for a while and wouldn't take forever. (WET, Rouge Warrior, and New Vegas are only published by them.) I will post back if I am lucky with it.
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Underworldy69
I think that you have to remove Games for Windows Live though because Broken Steel, Point Lookout, and Motheship Zeta uses achievement support from future patches. Because I tried it last night with the finalfix version and it crashed on start-up. It might conflict with GFWL.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 guildclaws
I think that you have to remove Games for Windows Live though because Broken Steel, Point Lookout, and Motheship Zeta uses achievement support from future patches. Because I tried it last night with the finalfix version and it crashed on start-up. It might conflict with GFWL. Underworldy69
are you using mod again? I always crashed when I start the quest at megaton, I remove my mods, it's not crashing anymore, I don't know why it usually crashed at start-up but try removing your mods :)
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"]I think that you have to remove Games for Windows Live though because Broken Steel, Point Lookout, and Motheship Zeta uses achievement support from future patches. Because I tried it last night with the finalfix version and it crashed on start-up. It might conflict with GFWL. guildclaws
are you using mod again? I always crashed when I start the quest at megaton, I remove my mods, it's not crashing anymore, I don't know why it usually crashed at start-up but try removing your mods :)

I am using no mods. What are your specs? And what types of crashing were you experiencing? CTDS (Crash to Desktop) or freezing.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 guildclaws
[QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"]I think that you have to remove Games for Windows Live though because Broken Steel, Point Lookout, and Motheship Zeta uses achievement support from future patches. Because I tried it last night with the finalfix version and it crashed on start-up. It might conflict with GFWL. Underworldy69

I am using no mods. What are your specs? And what types of crashing were you experiencing? CTDS (Crash to Desktop) or freezing.

I told you, I'm not crashing anymore, I even finish the game twice, by the way did you fixed the problem? So you're using no mods? Guess I'm out of ideas, did you patch the game to 1.7? My Specs Intel Core I7 920 Ati HD 4870x2 2GB Ram
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"]are you using mod again? I always crashed when I start the quest at megaton, I remove my mods, it's not crashing anymore, I don't know why it usually crashed at start-up but try removing your mods :)guildclaws

I told you, I'm not crashing anymore, I even finish the game twice, by the way did you fixed the problem? So you're using no mods? Guess I'm out of ideas, did you patch the game to 1.7? My Specs Intel Core I7 920 Ati HD 4870x2 2GB Ram

So I know you are a multi-core and the game has known issues with them. What is your OS? Windows 7 is another known reason for Fallout 3 to work. Also, does it sound odd if I think this game might not work well with 64-bits?
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 guildclaws
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"] I am using no mods. What are your specs? And what types of crashing were you experiencing? CTDS (Crash to Desktop) or freezing.

So I know you are a multi-core and the game has known issues with them. What is your OS? Windows 7 is another known reason for Fallout 3 to work. Also, does it sound odd if I think this game might not work well with 64-bits?

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, it works fine for me, it's because of your OS, by the way what's your specs?
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"]I told you, I'm not crashing anymore, I even finish the game twice, by the way did you fixed the problem? So you're using no mods? Guess I'm out of ideas, did you patch the game to 1.7?

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, it works fine for me, it's because of your OS, by the way what's your specs?

Intel Core i3-330m 2.13 ghz (2 Cores/4 Threads) - Luck, you have a Quad-Core (or Six-Core, whatever the i7s are) NVidia Geforce 260m GTX 1GB 4 GB Ram (Fallout 3 is a 32-bit program though so it will only process 2 GB, unless you get the RAM Boost modification) Windows 7 64-bit Home Premuim 320 GB HDD
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 guildclaws
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"] So I know you are a multi-core and the game has known issues with them. What is your OS? Windows 7 is another known reason for Fallout 3 to work. Also, does it sound odd if I think this game might not work well with 64-bits?

Intel Core i3-330m 2.13 ghz (2 Cores/4 Threads) - Luck, you have a Quad-Core (or Six-Core, whatever the i7s are) NVidia Geforce 260m GTX 1GB 4 GB Ram (Fallout 3 is a 32-bit program though so it will only process 2 GB, unless you get the RAM Boost modification) Windows 7 64-bit Home Premuim 320 GB HDD

I think it's because of your OS, 64-Bit, I have Windows Vista 64-Bit and I can't run Crysis and other games, that's why I decided to buy Windows 7 32-Bit, try patching your game to 1.7, hope it will work when you patch the game to 1.7
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"]I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, it works fine for me, it's because of your OS, by the way what's your specs?guildclaws

I think it's because of your OS, 64-Bit, I have Windows Vista 64-Bit and I can't run Crysis and other games, that's why I decided to buy Windows 7 32-Bit, try patching your game to 1.7, hope it will work when you patch the game to 1.7

Steam came with it fully updated. My 64-bit Windows btw can run Crysis that I bought earlier today.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 guildclaws
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"][QUOTE="guildclaws"][QUOTE="Underworldy69"] Intel Core i3-330m 2.13 ghz (2 Cores/4 Threads) - Luck, you have a Quad-Core (or Six-Core, whatever the i7s are) NVidia Geforce 260m GTX 1GB 4 GB Ram (Fallout 3 is a 32-bit program though so it will only process 2 GB, unless you get the RAM Boost modification) Windows 7 64-bit Home Premuim 320 GB HDD

Steam came with it fully updated. My 64-bit Windows btw can run Crysis that I bought earlier today.

fallout 3 works fine to me, I remember when I'm playing Fallout 3, it always freezing and crashing when I use Windows XP SP2, that's was a long time ago, sorry but I'm out of ideas :(
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Underworldy69
Thats alright. Im just gonna send Bethesda some more harrassing emails.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 guildclaws
Thats alright. Im just gonna send Bethesda some more harrassing emails. Underworldy69
try sending Bethesda About the freezing problem :), hope they will give you the answers
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Underworldy69
i did and they told me that they have not officially tested it with Windows 7 so there is no simple answer, which I think is BS.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 guildclaws
i did and they told me that they have not officially tested it with Windows 7 so there is no simple answer, which I think is BS.Underworldy69
really? wow
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Underworldy69
[QUOTE="Underworldy69"]i did and they told me that they have not officially tested it with Windows 7 so there is no simple answer, which I think is BS.guildclaws
really? wow

They refused to help me because they never tested it on Windows 7. Why the hell can't they just test it and put it on the cover and website that it will not work if it won't? I dont know.
fabounito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fabounito
Member since 2010 • 61 Posts
Fallout 3 don't like multi core cpu, try to deactivate some of them in the fallout_defaut.ini I saw that in a french forum I applied it to my fallout 3 and since it plays great. But i'm sorry, i can't find the topic anymore and i have totally forgot the takedown
Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Underworldy69
I only have a dual core though.
Torino818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 Torino818
Member since 2008 • 150 Posts

I've also been having problems with fallout 3. It tends to randomly crash when i am moving from area to area outdoors without warning. I've tried every trick i know (like reinstalling, patching, checking codecs, compatibility mode, even using a game booster that shuts down all but essintial systems on my computer and the game) and nothing seems to work. I have a brand new Fujistu laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics card, 4 Intel Core i5 CPU, and i believe 4 gigs of ram. Does anyone have any suggestions?