Fallout 3 IGN Review 9.6

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

Here it is.

Hopefully we'll see the GS review soon.

I really can't wait to get it now, too bad its not out in NZ till the 31st!

claytoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 claytoma
Member since 2002 • 1508 Posts
I'm so buying this game tomorrow. I will fit myself with an extra large diaper (nappy) and take speed to suppress my appetite.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Wholly hell!

Thats one of the highest ratings. I'll have a read of it.

en-z-io

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 en-z-io
Member since 2004 • 3390 Posts
This game sounds AWESOME. Finished watching the video review. I might just have to pick this up tomorrow.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
Picking my copy up today!
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
looks like ill be playing this and farcry 2 for the next while (until Left4Dead hehe)
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Level cap and no sexual content = fail

I highly doubt the story is very good (I've read what happens at the end, and the "plot twist" is very cliche and very predictable)

I'm not saying it'll be bad, it's probably better than Oblivion

I'll play it anyway, but it's most likely overrated and it's still just Oblivion with guns

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I guess I'll try it.
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

Seems like a must have.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I'm going to try it - with low expectations.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#11 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
Glad to hear its got ALOT more rpg elements in it and a better story the Oblivion :)
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Can't wait for my Steam copy to unlock.
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
i don't know........remember Oblivion? it got insane scores from virtually every site but i'm hardpressed to find anything to like in that game.........hmm......
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 chesterocks7
Member since 2005 • 1572 Posts

Darth_Kane

We're talking about games here remember? I suppose Half-Life, Doom, Far Cry, F.E.A.R., and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. all fail because they have no sexual content.

/facepalm

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

i don't know........remember Oblivion? it got insane scores from virtually every site but i'm hardpressed to find anything to like in that game.........hmm...... Jinroh_basic

Look at the average reader review, it mirrors the so called pro reviews.

Jodan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jodan77
Member since 2005 • 2567 Posts

I fell for the Oblivion Reviews.

Not Falling for this one. The Game Could score tens everywhere and I still wouldn't buy it.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]i don't know........remember Oblivion? it got insane scores from virtually every site but i'm hardpressed to find anything to like in that game.........hmm...... Captain__Tripps

actually....Oblivion also got insane score from readers. :(

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chesterocks7

I'll play it anyway, but it's most likely overrated and it's still just Oblivion with guns

Darth_Kane

Oh and watch the video review. The first point he makes is "Let's get one thing straight, this is not just Oblivion with guns."

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chesterocks7
[QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]i don't know........remember Oblivion? it got insane scores from virtually every site but i'm hardpressed to find anything to like in that game.........hmm...... Jinroh_basic

Then that probably means the majority of the people liked it. Yeah it wasn't a revolutionary RPG, but it was still fun.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]i don't know........remember Oblivion? it got insane scores from virtually every site but i'm hardpressed to find anything to like in that game.........hmm...... Jinroh_basic

PC Gaming burdens us with heightened standards.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

Yeah, thats what I meant.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts
Im sold, although I am still not expecting much. Its taking all my restraint to not hype this tho.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts
[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"][QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]i don't know........remember Oblivion? it got insane scores from virtually every site but i'm hardpressed to find anything to like in that game.........hmm...... chesterocks7

Then that probably means the majority of the people liked it. Yeah it wasn't a revolutionary RPG, but it was still fun.

well,I guess the thing is that as of now Fallout 3 mirrors everything of Oblivion: pre-release hype, on release high review score, and constant 10s from fans. for Oblivion fans, that's good news, they have another winner major, hyped game to play. for those who still feel the bad taste of Oblivion in the mouth, high scores from reviewers and fans mean nothing at all.

I, personally, wouldn't leave King's Bounty: The Legend for this game just yet. maybe when it drops to bargain bin price, I may have time for it.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chesterocks7
[QUOTE="chesterocks7"][QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"][QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]i don't know........remember Oblivion? it got insane scores from virtually every site but i'm hardpressed to find anything to like in that game.........hmm...... teardropmina

well,I guess the thing is that as of now Fallout 3 mirrors everything of Oblivion: pre-release hype, on release high review score, and constant 10s from fans. for Oblivion fans, that's good news, they have another winner major, hyped game to play. for those who still feel the bad taste of Oblivion in the mouth, high scores from reviewers and fans mean nothing at all.

I, personally, wouldn't leave King's Bounty: The Legend for this game just yet. maybe when it drops to bargain bin price, I may have time for it.

Well I never played the original Fallouts so I won't be comparing it to them, but based on that IGN review, it looks to be quite a bit different from Oblivion. And I don't care how many people cry "Oblivion with guns" I'll believe one person who has played the over a thousand people just speculating.

visceron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#25 visceron
Member since 2005 • 2160 Posts
Such a long review, IGN needs to keep it to a 3 page max, 2 if possible.
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
My pre-order should be at the house this afternoon. Too bad I won't be able to play it untill tommorow because of work. I just hope it is as good as all the reviewers are making it out to be. The Official Xbox magazine gave it a 10 out of 10.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#27 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I should be getting it this weekend, game looks like fun, hopefully it's oblivion with guns.
thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#28 thenewau25
Member since 2007 • 2058 Posts
this game owned fable, owned every outher game so far and its fallout allright and not oblivion, with guns well its better than oblivion isnt it? ok then ill get it best game so far, lets hope its true
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
[QUOTE="teardropmina"][QUOTE="chesterocks7"][QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"][QUOTE="Captain__Tripps"]

[QUOTE="Jinroh_basic"]i don't know........remember Oblivion? it got insane scores from virtually every site but i'm hardpressed to find anything to like in that game.........hmm...... chesterocks7

Well I never played the original Fallouts so I won't be comparing it to them, but based on that IGN review, it looks to be quite a bit different from Oblivion. And I don't care how many people cry "Oblivion with guns" I'll believe one person who has played the over a thousand people just speculating.

i think you are missing a certain part, these people ( including me ) didnt enjoy oblivion and didnt think it was fun. so its not about "it wasnt revolutionary rpg so it was boring", its about enjoyment and i thought oblivion is very boring game even its pretty.

when i played it at first, i liked it until i managed to escape from prison. then i wandered around the world, entered some dungeons, found quest guy, played abit and... closed it because i was bored. i tried it again, started from beginning, enjoyed prison part again and bom... uninstalled the game...

i started 3rd and 4th time to give it a chance but nope... then i though maybe if i use cheats to have more things to do from beginning, i played abit, enjoyed more but still failed...

so its not about oblivion's technical quality or its big world, its about enjoyment and i didnt have fun in that game and fallout 3 seems its just like oblivion...

crazyfist36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 crazyfist36
Member since 2003 • 574 Posts
are you kidding me? did no one watch the video? there were so many instances where the character is fighting or shooting soeone and they do nothing bt stare back like idiots.just look at the fight towards the end with the grease monkeys.hes puinching the guy and yet all he does is smile and talk to him.how can serious flaws like that get a 9.6? i bet this is another one of those games that is actually an 8 at best.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Darth_Kane

So this is what you do instead of finding a REAL girlfriend? Sad.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

Good score.

Still ain't getting though.

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts
Maybe he just means that sex is a large phenomena in human society and for their too be nothing of the sort in a post apocalyptic washington seems odd....doesnt bother me though....anyway,i was expecting high scores,hype two three four,it wont be a 9.6 or a 9,but unlike some other people here i had some enjoyment from oblivion(Nothing compared to morrowind) so ill pick it up.
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts
[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

Johnny_Rock

So this is what you do instead of finding a REAL girlfriend? Sad.

QFT

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Fantastic review!

Great score - check
PC version is best - check
No activations/limited installs - check
Combat (my main concern) system sounds fun - check, sounds fun is the best I can hope for at this point

One person's opinion is not my own of course, but until I play the game myself, I'll gladly prefer to hear good reviews over poor ones any day. Unfortunate change in direction for the hardcore Fallout fans from Van Buren, but I personally dig FPS/RPG games, so any similarity to that genre here gets no complaints from me ;)

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
Well I guess that is good, probably be checking this one out. Even if it does blow in its vanilla state, hopefully the PC community can make it better much like they did with Oblivion
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
I spent over 300 hours on oblivion I'm sure I'll do the same for this, can't wait for mods.
thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thenewau25

are you kidding me? did no one watch the video? there were so many instances where the character is fighting or shooting soeone and they do nothing bt stare back like idiots.just look at the fight towards the end with the grease monkeys.hes puinching the guy and yet all he does is smile and talk to him.how can serious flaws like that get a 9.6? i bet this is another one of those games that is actually an 8 at best.crazyfist36

this aint a fps you crazyfist

thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thenewau25

Good score.

Still ain't getting though.

mo0ksi

and after that you want me to apreciate crysis...SUREEEEEE

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#40 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
Unfortunately that IGN review was done by one of the Xbox editors, not one of the PC guys. So, I'm going to take the review with a grain of salt.
thenewau25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thenewau25

Unfortunately that IGN review was done by one of the Xbox editors, not one of the PC guys. So, I'm going to take the review with a grain of salt. Gooeykat

do they ever review games on pc anymore? i mean look at the reviews all in x360 expect if they are not available on x360, and he said he is a fallout fan!

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]Unfortunately that IGN review was done by one of the Xbox editors, not one of the PC guys. So, I'm going to take the review with a grain of salt. thenewau25

do they ever review games on pc anymore? i mean look at the reviews all in x360 expect if they are not available on x360, and he said he is a fallout fan!

Apparently IGN does not, but some still do. I trust reviews from PC gamers, not sure if the guy prefers console or pc. My point is that he is member of the xbox team so my immediate inclination is that he will compare Fallout 3 to other games on the Xbox 360 rather coming at the game from a PC perspective. As PC game how does F3 compare to other PC games of its genre. Make sense? If it were Jason Ocampo (IGN PC) I would trust his opinion more because he is a long time pc game reviewer. He used to work here at Gamespot.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts
Make way for the hype train! Whoo whoo!
A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#44 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
Does it have SecuROM or any other spy ware? If so I won't be playing or buying it.
sentenced83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 sentenced83
Member since 2005 • 1529 Posts
didnt like how the characters move around .. the others seem to float rather than move
GTZ2k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GTZ2k3
Member since 2003 • 472 Posts
When I booted Fallout 3 and tried to use my CrySuit powers they didn't work. Plus there were no palm trees. I wasted $50.
Avatar image for xAngels_Assasin
xAngels_Assasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 xAngels_Assasin
Member since 2007 • 467 Posts
Well seeing as Im a huge Oblivion fan might give this a try.
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 chesterocks7

i think you are missing a certain part, these people ( including me ) didnt enjoy oblivion and didnt think it was fun. so its not about "it wasnt revolutionary rpg so it was boring", its about enjoyment and i thought oblivion is very boring game even its pretty.

when i played it at first, i liked it until i managed to escape from prison. then i wandered around the world, entered some dungeons, found quest guy, played abit and... closed it because i was bored. i tried it again, started from beginning, enjoyed prison part again and bom... uninstalled the game...

i started 3rd and 4th time to give it a chance but nope... then i though maybe if i use cheats to have more things to do from beginning, i played abit, enjoyed more but still failed...

so its not about oblivion's technical quality or its big world, its about enjoyment and i didnt have fun in that game and fallout 3 seems its just like oblivion...

TheLegendKnight

Well most of the people who complain about Oblivion say that it isn't a true RPG. That's the most prevalent argument I've encountered anyway.

And this review makes it pretty clear that this game is not much like Oblivion at all.