Does anyone still play MW2?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AuzzieGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 AuzzieGunner
Member since 2011 • 43 Posts

I've been playing alot of MW on PC recently, and it has given me the urge to play MW2. However, I have no idea how many people play it on PC, and since they dont have dedicated servers, i cant go on a website like gametracker and see all the servers.

So does anyone out there still play MW2 on PC? If so, how easy is it to find a game? Are there alot of hacked lobbies? etc..

Thanks in advance

Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts
just checked steam stats, and yes many people still play it, you wont find a problem finding a game.
AuzzieGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AuzzieGunner

just checked steam stats, and yes many people still play it, you wont find a problem finding a game. Shatilov

Thanks, i might buy it after all

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I have had issues for over a year now with the matchmaking system.. sometimes I can never find any games. However, if you check out fourdeltaone.net, you can modify the game client with their mod to point to their dedicated server list, where the public run their own dedicated servers.

It's absolutely brilliant. Lots of good servers and well-populated with different game modes, and you can finally change the damn FOV.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

There are people still playing it, but out of all the COD games, this is the one that suffered from Hackers the most! (Haven't tried BO2 yet)

So a large portion of the playerbase is probably those clowns.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

There are people still playing it, but out of all the COD games, this is the one that suffered from Hackers the most! (Haven't tried BO2 yet)

Lach0121
This, and also everyone just plays DM, so you'll have a hard time finding people in other modes. You're best bet is COD4 or Black Ops 1 or 2. Plenty of people there.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

I've had issues finding games, and when I did play, I came across a fair bit of hackers.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

FelipeInside

This, and also everyone just plays DM, so you'll have a hard time finding people in other modes. You're best bet is COD4 or Black Ops 1 or 2. Plenty of people there.

I've been trying to pick up COD4 for $5 but Activision won't let it go below $10. /sigh

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Cwagmire21

I've been trying to pick up COD4 for $5 but Activision won't let it go below $10. /sigh

Dude, $10 ??? Just buy it, a Big Mac Combo costs more....
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Only when playing through the story of the MW games again. I don't play it online anymore.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Yeah a lot of people still do, but I think CoD4 and the Black Ops games are much better on PC. I think MW2 really kind of belongs on XBL, the PC version lacks all the amenities of the previous games, lacks the splitscreen of consoles, doesn't really have much to show, and the pacing feels a little, er, "off" on PC if that makes sense.

But yeah, it's still a blast on PC.

AuzzieGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AuzzieGunner

I have had issues for over a year now with the matchmaking system.. sometimes I can never find any games. However, if you check out fourdeltaone.net, you can modify the game client with their mod to point to their dedicated server list, where the public run their own dedicated servers.

It's absolutely brilliant. Lots of good servers and well-populated with different game modes, and you can finally change the damn FOV.

MyopicCanadian

Thanks for the tip, i'll check it out.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

MyopicCanadian

Wow, I never knew. In the end there I could not find ANY matches just said 0 people online all the time. Thanks matchmaking! bestideaevar l0l0l.

Doesn't matter cause I uninstalled though, maybe someday but I doubt it because CoD4 is good enough for me. I enjoyed my time on MW2.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Lach0121
This. And non-dedicated servers made matches a slideshow.. super fail. Source: My own experience. I know stupid, for buying it right? At least the campaign was decent! hah!
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

just checked steam stats, and yes many people still play it, you wont find a problem finding a game. Shatilov

8,402 peak....P2P matchmaking...

8,000 is not "many people". That's very little.

I hope he didn't buy it. He'll spend more time waiting for that oh so "RELIABLE" matchmaking system to drop him into a lag fest game.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Shatilov"]just checked steam stats, and yes many people still play it, you wont find a problem finding a game. Jebus213

I hope he didn't buy it. He'll spend more time waiting for that oh so "RELIABLE" matchmaking system to drop him into a lag fest game.

Yeah last itme I checked, 9k-ish, that's VERY VERY little. Not worth buying imho.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="Shatilov"]just checked steam stats, and yes many people still play it, you wont find a problem finding a game. Elann2008

Yeah last itme I checked, 9k-ish, that's VERY VERY little. Not worth buying imho.

Black Ops 2 is averaging 8000-11,000 at the moment and I always find a game. Remember, it's not going to get the same numbers as console.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MyopicCanadian

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

Masenkoe

Wow, I never knew. In the end there I could not find ANY matches just said 0 people online all the time. Thanks matchmaking! bestideaevar l0l0l.

Doesn't matter cause I uninstalled though, maybe someday but I doubt it because CoD4 is good enough for me. I enjoyed my time on MW2.

Yeah, I enjoy CoD4 as well, but honestly finding servers that aren't 24-7 *insertmapname* with 50 players is proving difficult. I like small hardcore TDM games, and found two servers.. one of them doesn't allow you to jump and shoot :P

Still, when I can find the right server for me, that game is great fun.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]

[QUOTE="Shatilov"]just checked steam stats, and yes many people still play it, you wont find a problem finding a game. Elann2008

9k for a PC game is fine. This isnt console land where you get 2million people playing COD.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Jebus213"]

bonafidetk

9k for a PC game is fine. This isnt console land where you get 2million people playing COD.

No it isnt. If it had servers AND A SERVER BROWSER I wouldn't be saying this.

Go ahead TC, waste your money.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SPYDER0416

FelipeInside

Black Ops 2 is averaging 8000-11,000 at the moment and I always find a game. Remember, it's not going to get the same numbers as console.

Yeah, I'm overseas right now and don't have the best internet, and I can still find a great match on BOII and have a blast.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

MyopicCanadian

Yeah, I enjoy CoD4 as well, but honestly finding servers that aren't 24-7 *insertmapname* with 50 players is proving difficult. I like small hardcore TDM games, and found two servers.. one of them doesn't allow you to jump and shoot :P

All servers shouldn't let you jump and shoot, its the most ridiculous thing ever.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MyopicCanadian

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

FelipeInside

All servers shouldn't let you jump and shoot, its the most ridiculous thing ever.

I hope you're joking, but I can't always tell sarcasm over the internet.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

MyopicCanadian

Nah, actually I'm not. I hate Bunny Jumpers.....they come across a corner like Superman with a gun. Pure BS. (I understand it's part of the game but personally I hate it)
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

FelipeInside

Actually Black Ops 2 is averging 35,000. I think you were looking at the single player.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Yeah last itme I checked, 9k-ish, that's VERY VERY little. Not worth buying imho.HyperWarlock

Actually Black Ops 2 is averging 35,000. I think you were looking at the single player.

You're right, but looks like they fixed it with the latest patch. I was looking at the number at the bottom left on the Lobby Screen and I never saw it go past 11,000. I just went in then and it's 25,000 (and that's off-peak).
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] All servers shouldn't let you jump and shoot, its the most ridiculous thing ever.FelipeInside

Nah, actually I'm not. I hate Bunny Jumpers.....they come across a corner like Superman with a gun. Pure BS. (I understand it's part of the game but personally I hate it)

I literally have never experienced bunny hoppers on console like I do here on PC, same with drop shotting (which happens on console, but people do less). It is so frustrating, especially when I run into people who somehow jump right over me and blast me to bits.

I try not to do it so I can maintain some moral high ground, but my crappy k/d isn't getting any better because of it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside

SPYDER0416

I literally have never experienced bunny hoppers on console like I do here on PC, same with drop shotting (which happens on console, but people do less). It is so frustrating, especially when I run into people who somehow jump right over me and blast me to bits.

I try not to do it so I can maintain some moral high ground, but my crappy k/d isn't getting any better because of it.

I know how to both Bunny Jump and Drop Shoot, but I never do it because it's pisses me off when people do it.

At the end of the round, when I haven't done it at all and then see myself at the top of the table against people who have, I feel all nice and mushy inside :)

The reason probably why it doesn't happen on consoles is because it's harder to do on a controller.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#29 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
That was so much fun when it came out!! :D
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

MyopicCanadian

COD 4 spawns are pretty broken and my experience playing it can aptly be summarized by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLbxOwXBfi0&t=25s
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Nah, actually I'm not. I hate Bunny Jumpers.....they come across a corner like Superman with a gun. Pure BS. (I understand it's part of the game but personally I hate it)FelipeInside

I know how to both Bunny Jump and Drop Shoot, but I never do it because it's pisses me off when people do it.

At the end of the round, when I haven't done it at all and then see myself at the top of the table against people who have, I feel all nice and mushy inside :)

The reason probably why it doesn't happen on consoles is because it's harder to do on a controller.

Some people use custom controllers or get used to drop shotting, but I almost never see bunny hoppers.

On PC CoD on the whole is just weirder, I have never lost somebody in close quarters in console, but on PC people have a habit of jumping or disappearing behind me and then we both just start freaking out and shooting at each other in circles on PC. I guess that doesn't happen because of the aim assist preventing people from hopping around like bunnies around each other and it being useful as well.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"] All servers shouldn't let you jump and shoot, its the most ridiculous thing ever.FelipeInside

Too hard to aim at the bunnyhoppers? What about dolphin divers? I play BO 2 like its Quake whith my smg long barrel and lasersight.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cranler

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

SPYDER0416

Some people use custom controllers or get used to drop shotting, but I almost never see bunny hoppers.

On PC CoD on the whole is just weirder, I have never lost somebody in close quarters in console, but on PC people have a habit of jumping or disappearing behind me and then we both just start freaking out and shooting at each other in circles on PC. I guess that doesn't happen because of the aim assist preventing people from hopping around like bunnies around each other and it being useful as well.

Reason you dont see bunnyhopping and dropshooting on console is because of the control scheme. Jump is a and change stance defaults to b. Cant press either without taking your thumb off the aim stick. Theres the tactical control scheme that moves stance to right stick click which allows drop shooting but most people dont use that since it moves stab to b.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

Zubinen

COD 4 spawns are pretty broken and my experience playing it can aptly be summarized by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLbxOwXBfi0&t=25s

go play s&d and you are the only one who thinks mw2 is better than cod4 cod4 better in every way
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cranler

SPYDER0416

I use everything at my disposal to help the team win. If the designers didnt want you to jump and shoot at the same time they would remove it from the game.
Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
[QUOTE="Zubinen"][QUOTE="MyopicCanadian"]

JigglyWiggly_

cod4 better in every way

Except for spawns, map design, and little variation in playstyles. COD 4 had better PC support and came first, that's about it, as for dedicated servers: not an issue for me as someone living in the ever so densely populated city of New York.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Nah, actually I'm not. I hate Bunny Jumpers.....they come across a corner like Superman with a gun. Pure BS. (I understand it's part of the game but personally I hate it)Cranler

I use everything at my disposal to help the team win. If the designers didnt want you to jump and shoot at the same time they would remove it from the game.

Just lilke how the designers don't want you to cheat but never fix the cheat system anyway...?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

FelipeInside

Just lilke how the designers don't want you to cheat but never fix the cheat system anyway...?

What? You're comparing a gameplay mechanic that could be easily changed to something thats very difficult to program like anticheat?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] I use everything at my disposal to help the team win. If the designers didnt want you to jump and shoot at the same time they would remove it from the game.Cranler

What? You're comparing a gameplay mechanic that could be easily changed to something thats very difficult to program like anticheat?

No, I'm just saying that the CoD developers are lazy. There have been various things that need fixing and every version still has them. Hacking is one of them....there were hackers on Launch Day....LAUNCH DAY !!!!, like C'mon....
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cranler
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

No, I'm just saying that the CoD developers are lazy. There have been various things that need fixing and every version still has them. Hacking is one of them....there were hackers on Launch Day....LAUNCH DAY !!!!, like C'mon....

I havent seen any hacking in BO 2 so far. I quit playing MW 3 after a few days because the hacking got so bad.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Cranler"] What? You're comparing a gameplay mechanic that could be easily changed to something thats very difficult to program like anticheat?Cranler

I havent seen any hacking in BO 2 so far. I quit playing MW 3 after a few days because the hacking got so bad.

Well I guess ur lucky then in BO2, cause there's heaps of hacking.

HARDCORE mode seems to be less, that's why I stick with that mode now (but I miss my Domination).

I already said this is probably the last CoD I buy until they either A) fix the engine cause of the hackers or B) bring out a new engine

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZiKtmqVsbo

Just do a search on YouTube and you get heaps of videos.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
Yeah, I only play HC on BO2 myself. Having a great time. This is my 2nd favorite COD since COD4. But MW2 was fun on the Xbox, not so much on PC.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts

bnzWg.jpg.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Last weekend was actually thinking how COD4 was better than MW2 & 3... I had the game on consoles (PS3 & 360) but never on PC..

So is the game still alive on PC in terms of community? since i wouldnt mind getting the PC version for cheap..

COD:BO2 while being a decent game still didnt surpass COD4 imo..

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

Last weekend was actually thinking how COD4 was better than MW2 & 3... I had the game on consoles (PS3 & 360) but never on PC..

So is the game still alive on PC in terms of community? since i wouldnt mind getting the PC version for cheap..

Malta_1980
Yes, plenty of people still play COD4. I think most people consider COD4 mostly due to nostalgia, cause it was a massive jump from COD2. If you play Blops2 for an hour and then COD4 for an hour, you can tell the differences.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

FelipeInside

Yes, plenty of people still play COD4. I think most people consider COD4 mostly due to nostalgia, cause it was a massive jump from COD2. If you play Blops2 for an hour and then COD4 for an hour, you can tell the differences.

Well like you pointed out nostalgia plays an imp part.. However I somehow remember all maps for COD4 but not for its successors..

Imo COD4 > MW2 > BO1 > BO2 > WAW > MW3

COD:BO2 however is a good game but atm I find myself spending more time with BF3 & Planetside2 when it comes to fps :)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Zubinen"] COD 4 spawns are pretty broken and my experience playing it can aptly be summarized by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLbxOwXBfi0&t=25sZubinen
cod4 better in every way

Except for spawns, map design, and little variation in playstyles. COD 4 had better PC support and came first, that's about it, as for dedicated servers: not an issue for me as someone living in the ever so densely populated city of New York.

except cod4 u dieslower so it's faster paced

i was s&d hero in cod4

mw2 is all camp

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
COD4 was boss simply because it didnt have those stupid killstreaks.. I prefer a more personal combat.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside
COD4 was boss simply because it didnt have those stupid killstreaks.. I prefer a more personal combat.DevilMightCry
that's why I love Black Ops 2 cause its scorestreak, not killstreak. So people that are doing their job on the map get points as well.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SPYDER0416

COD4 was boss simply because it didnt have those stupid killstreaks.. I prefer a more personal combat.DevilMightCry

Actually it introduced killstreaks, you just couldn't customize them or pick absurdly powerful ones like an AC-130.

3-5-7, UAV-Airstrike-Helicopter, but I think in CoD4 it worked great since they were balanced and easy to counter, and not something people sit back and camp to earn.