Do you play games outside your home enough to justify a Steam Deck?

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

I've heard all this hype for the Steam Deck and I don't get why you'd want to play PC games on a handheld system with a relatively tiny screen and speakers instead of on your large home TV and sound system (assuming you have that).

I have a Nintendo Switch and the only time I use it in mobile mode is when I'm traveling. I'll play in the airport and on the plane (although I feel a bit embarrassed sometimes) and then have also played it in the car on long road trips, but I can't play too long without getting car sick.

If you want to play games in different rooms in your house or on a trip couldn't you just play on a more powerful gaming laptop? Same thing for work.

Do you feel comfortable playing the Steam Deck or Switch on the subway, bus, etc? I feel bit silly as an adult to have people looking at me playing games with headphones.

Seems like these are great mobile systems and if I were flying a lot I'd think about getting the Steam Deck if I didn't have the Switch, but I don't get the mass appeal.

Is there any point getting one if you don't travel that much just to move it around your house or connect to multiple TVs?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

First off, I think Steam Deck is great. Not knocking it my comments below, I have nothing but love for Valve hardware; Steam Controller, Valve Index, Steam Link, Steam Deck...all winners, major manufacturers could take a hint from Valve.

To the point:

No, time away from home is time for me to detox, to readjust.

I've got a serious gaming habit, but I'm not addicted to the point where I have to play when I am away from home (not implying those that do have an addiction, just saying if I did that I might consider I have one).

Now, if I travelled a lot for work that might change my tune but as it is now having a fixed schedule and such makes it easy for me to get my fill of gaming.

@Maxpowers_32 said:

I've heard all this hype for the Steam Deck and I don't get why you'd want to play PC games on a handheld system with a relatively tiny screen and speakers instead of on your large home TV and sound system (assuming you have that).

I have a Nintendo Switch and the only time I use it in mobile mode is when I'm traveling. I'll play in the airport and on the plane (although I feel a bit embarrassed sometimes) and then have also played it in the car on long road trips, but I can't play too long without getting car sick.

If you want to play games in different rooms in your house or on a trip couldn't you just play on a more powerful gaming laptop? Same thing for work.

Do you feel comfortable playing the Steam Deck or Switch on the subway, bus, etc? I feel bit silly as an adult to have people looking at me playing games with headphones.

Seems like these are great mobile systems and if I were flying a lot I'd think about getting the Steam Deck if I didn't have the Switch, but I don't get the mass appeal.

Is there any point getting one if you don't travel that much just to move it around your house or connect to multiple TVs?

Steam Deck isn't a substitute for desktop or even laptop gaming, it's strictly a compromise that allows you to take PC gaming with you if you travel a lot.

And it is a compromise. Short battery life, small screen, small speakers, and losing various input devices (M+KB, flightsticks, etc).

But if do travel a lot, it's probably a compromise that is worth it. I wouldn't be too concerned with folks looking at you haha.

As for "is there a point" if you game at home, no, I don't personally think there is. If I rode the bus or train to work I'd probably just read a book. If I travelled out of town for days at a time I might consider getting one, but then again I'd probably stick with a laptop.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4224 Posts

@Maxpowers_32: agreement. It’s just that the reason I wouldn’t take a Steam Deck outside is people just wouldn’t understand the appeal of the console.

The whole point of a PC is to play immersive games on it…say System Shock 2 or Half life 1/2.

But that’s technology, it’s always pushing and pushing into a changing dynamic world.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

It'll be nice to have time away from the PC screen. I'd mainly use it throughout the house. But I carried my Switch on a trip. So if I did go on a trip, I would most likely bring the Deck. Also the Steam Dock allows the Deck to connect HDMI. It can be docked to a monitor/TV. It's not out yet. :(

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

I kind of agree with some of your points, but still think it's a cool product. The thing is too big and battery life is too short for it to really be a great portable system. I think we will see revised models in the coming years that alleviate these issues though.

But as it stands, there are still some practical things about it:

The big one to me is it plays games you already own. Think of it as a supplementary travel PC, and this could be a good value. You're not building a new library or buying new controllers, this is gives you more options to access your current game collection.

If you have a family, you might want to use a Deck while your kids or partner are on the computer. The advantage here over Switch is you could continue games you were already in the middle of on PC.

On a similar note the Deck could be easily moved from room to room if you have multiple TVs in your house.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#7 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

Definitely no which is why I won't buy one. I have a Switch and it's basically docked 99.9% of the time. I can deal with a console or PC setup but handhelds are just the latest terrible trend.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#8 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

I don't play games on the go and I wouldn't want to experience games at shit quality. So, I would rather just hold off and play them on a good setup.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2410 Posts

Would rather get a laptop, for other needs.

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

Mobile gaming is stupid.

THe only time I even do anything mobile is when in flight........stuck in a giant tin can..... watch a movie on muh tab so forget about where I am.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

No, not at all. I play games at home. Also it's hard for me to get immersed in handhelds.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Never used a handheld outside, even back in Gameboy/Game-Gear days.

Get nicked.

WladolfPutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WladolfPutler
Member since 2022 • 256 Posts

I am enjoying my PC games on huge virtual theaterscreens (depending on specs, regular 2D-games and non-vr games also in full 3D or even full-vr) within my VR googles and the vorpX-app, so the Steam-Deck is in my opinion nothing but a completely retarded and downright stupid gimmick for valve-fanboys mostly.

I am also asking myself, if people were actually asking for a STEAM-DECK to begin with or if it was Valve who manipulated people into thinking they would need such a shitty handheld console.

WladolfPutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WladolfPutler
@wladolfputler said:

so the Steam-Deck is in my opinion nothing but a completely retarded and downright stupid gimmick for valve-fanboys mostly.

I had to quote myself to make something clear about it:

On the first sight and first thought, regarding the Steam-Deck, it appears to be a nice and kewl piece of hardware, even myself was thinking about to get, but when i started to think about it on a more serious approach, i came to the conclusion that it is rather fat ugly Gabe manipulating me and my fellow gamer-bros to buy that crap, coz in fact i don´t need this gimmick at all and i think you guys as well do not really need it too.

In all honesty, i am already playing PC-Games a little too much at times and i dont think i really need to play the same games on every occasion as soon i am running around outside.

WladolfPutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WladolfPutler

Sorry for making a triple-post but this thing is actually pretty interesting:

The time and energy Valve/Steam was putting into making HALF-LIFE: ALYX along with the STEAM-DECK, man.....they could have already made a great HALF-LIFE 3 along with probably an even better HALF-LIFE 4 too!

But they don´t want to coz Valve rather makes something "new" and "extraordinary" to show the world how much they still RULE and they neither do it for their "fans", they just want to...well....RULE!

So everyone who still hopes for HALF-LIFE 3, forget it, Gabe/Valve/Steam is shitting onto your heads, and you probably can feel the warm sauce running over your face, you just don´t want to accept the sad truth about those money-addicted powermongers.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#16 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

I have a Switch Lite but just play inside and never take it outside. For $500 I rather get a laptop as mine died last year and was from 2015.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

I finally got my notification, and I'm going to use mine like I use my Switch (mostly docked). If I wind up liking some of the games and features I'll probably get a gaming laptop. About time I retire this one anyways. I'm more of a console gamer, so that suits my needs better.