Direct 2 Drive - 10 more $5 games

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

Week 4 of the D2D 5'th anniversary sale is the weakest so far, in my opinion.

http://www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5

But what do we think of this 'Mount & Blade' thing? The trailer actually looks pretty neat. For five dollars I might pick that one up. The average user rating is 9.2, which is obviously pretty good.

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

It's definitely worth the money. Mount & Blade is an excellent game.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

Mount & Blade is excellent...one of my favorite games. The mounted/melee combat is some of the best ever done in a video game. Just be warned the game is from a very small developer so some of the production value are a bit lacking. Also, the game is very sand-box driven so if you expect a great story or anything like that you might not like it. Try the demo though, decide for yourself.

Oh, this weeks selection stinks :(

quijeros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 quijeros
Member since 2008 • 1728 Posts

I'm not gonna lie, Mount & Blade looks really fun. And that 9.2 comes from an average of 42 reviews, so that definitely counts for something. For only 5 bucks, I say it's worth a try.

I expected the indie week to be the weakest anyway, but some of these titles look promising. I'll probably get the World of Goo based on all the acclaim it's gotten. Plus, I like physics-based puzzle games like this (ever played Fantastic Contraption online?).

Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Charles_Dickens

I think that for five dollars, the game will be the demo. LOL.

The Great Unwashed are usually right about these things. I mean, they're not going to give, say, Catwoman, an average score of 92. I'm not expecting anything great out of this game, but I think I'll buy it.

Is there anything else on that list that I should know about? I thought that Braid was going to be on there for sure. I tried Braid and hated it - just hated it.

giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 giant11
Member since 2003 • 760 Posts

World of Goo is the only gem there. Defense Grid looks kinda tempting but I'm gonna skip it..

Chyropraise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chyropraise
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts

"

I think that for five dollars, the game will be the demo. LOL.

The Great Unwashed are usually right about these things. I mean, they're not going to give, say, Catwoman, an average score of 92. I'm not expecting anything great out of this game, but I think I'll buy it.

Is there anything else on that list that I should know about? I thought that Braid was going to be on there for sure. I tried Braid and hated it - just hated it."

Mount and Blade is an amazing game. The fact that you can do ANYTHING you want adds a ton of fun and freedom. You wont get led around telling you to go kill 5 ostriches. You go tackle castles and large cities. Plunder your enemies small towns. Build an army. I didn't expect much from it until I played the demo. Not to mention the mod community for this game is excellent.

And also if you are into scary games, Penumbra is pretty messed up. It's at the bottom. They finally added Saints Row 2 back on there so I'm gonna pick that one up myself.

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
I'm surprised that people aren't commenting about Swords of the Stars. Is it a bad game or something or is it just too far down the niche ladder to be registered?
NightlyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NightlyOne
Member since 2009 • 331 Posts

Mount & Blade is VERY well worth the $5. Pretty interesting combat system, and it's fun to mow your opponents down with your weapons while on horseback. Definitely provided me with hours of entertainment, not to mention there's plenty of good mods out there.

If you are into scary games Penumbra is pretty messed up. It's at the bottom.Chyropraise

Also, this. I HIGHLY recommend getting the Penumbra series if you're into survival-horror games and don't mind blowing another $5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts
I'm surprised that people aren't commenting about Swords of the Stars. Is it a bad game or something or is it just too far down the niche ladder to be registered?Cdscottie
I don't think it's a bad from what I've seen, if you want space strategy games buy it, I would but I think I'll save up for the ultimate pack that comes with all the expansions that's on Impulse, I got enough to play as it is and I'm totally buying Mount & Blade and Cogs.
chikinlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chikinlad
Member since 2008 • 1167 Posts

I played the Mount & Blade demo awhile ago and it was a lot of fun. I was actually hoping for it to be on sale this week and I'm glad that it is.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
Mount & Blade for 5 dollars. Lots of people praise it. Even if you don't like it, well it's 5 bucks! I've bought hyped up games for 59.99 and hated them. 5 dollars is nothing. If you want to be sure though, there is a demo as others have already mentioned. But I'm pretty sure you could find 5 dollars worth of entertainment from this game.
foossilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foossilo
Member since 2004 • 715 Posts

Mount and Blade is awesome

SO is the Path and Defense Grid

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

I'm wondering if mods work for the Direct2Drive version of Mount and Blade, since I've heard mods and direct2drive don't always play nice with each other.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
World of Goo for a fiver? I may need to pick it up now o.o
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
World of Goo + Mount and Blade are both excellent game. Defense Grid is pretty good too.
PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

Stalker is back up for $5 again too.

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts

I have both World of Goo and Defense Grid, and I love both games. World of Goo is a blast. If you love physic puzzle games, this is one of the best. Defense Grid is a tower defense game, that is very well put together. I would recommend both.

bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

Mount and Blade is my 2nd favorite game of all time, I'd buy it twice for 5 bucks!

Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
Skipping this week, just like last week.
foossilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foossilo

Skipping this week, just like last week. FPS_Gamer123

*looks at username*

not surprised

carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts

I'm wondering if mods work for the Direct2Drive version of Mount and Blade, since I've heard mods and direct2drive don't always play nice with each other.

ssvegeta555
The only mods that really have problems with D2D games are the ones that modify the executable (like Oblivion Script Extender) - this is due to D2D having its copy protection built into the executable.
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
This week is pretty good, games like Mount & Blade, World of Goo and Defense Grid are quality titles with regards to indie efforts. Its only looking weak coz at the same price range ($5) we are comparing them to previous week titles from well-financed and established dev studios with millions to play around :D
Jordo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jordo321
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts
I was checkin the list this week and sadly didn't see zeno clash like I expected on there, but then I checked the previous $5 offers and saw Penumbra (which I never even noticed during whatever week is was on lmao). Needless to say it's exactly what I've been needing, I love survival horrors but its hard finding many for the pc other than silent hill etc. Plus 3 games in one rocks :D Does anyone know if the "still on for $5" has been rotating or something? Seems like I'm noticing some that I didn't notice previously. I was reluctant to buy Thief because I played it a long time ago on the GC, but I should've picked it up :(
spektor_21000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 spektor_21000
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts

I picked up Mount & blade, Defense Grid, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Penumbra collection, and call of juarez :D

foossilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foossilo

I was checkin the list this week and sadly didn't see zeno clash like I expected on there, but then I checked the previous $5 offers and saw Penumbra (which I never even noticed during whatever week is was on lmao). Needless to say it's exactly what I've been needing, I love survival horrors but its hard finding many for the pc other than silent hill etc. Plus 3 games in one rocks :D Does anyone know if the "still on for $5" has been rotating or something? Seems like I'm noticing some that I didn't notice previously. I was reluctant to buy Thief because I played it a long time ago on the GC, but I should've picked it up :(Jordo321

It has been rotating.

STALKER is back

westafford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 westafford
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts

I already own Mount & Blade and World of Goo. I bought Bridge Construction Set, though. None of the other games interested me, and it looked neat. It feels like it should be free, and I can't imagine paying $20 for it. For $5 it is not too bad.

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

Defense Grid looks kinda tempting but I'm gonna skip it..

giant11

Defense Grid is overrated, as are all trial-and-error tower defense games. Plants vs. Zombies is one of the few tower defense games I've played that actually has some personality and neat ways of playing. The rest are just clones of one another, and therefore totally suck in my opinion.

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
Mount & Blade is amazing, I can't praise it enough, especially when it's $5. Especially since the expansion is coming soon and it's wonderful. I got into the beta and it is everything I wanted it to be.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

I already got most of them.

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
I got mount & blade for $7 on a steam deal. Great game. I can't think of any other medieval combat game that makes such large scale battle fields with impressive RPG elements. The best part of the game is Ranged horseback fighting, even though you can't go wrong charging through enemy lines with a lance on horseback.
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Charles_Dickens

I'm kind of surprised that so many people are saying such good things about... I've already forgotten the title of it... Mount and Blade.

Maybe it's one of those situations where the game is over-rated because it's a good game but people weren't expecting anything of it? Well I'm gettin' it anyway. I just spent ten dollars at Starbucks for a coffee and two doughnuts, so I should be able to find the five dollars for this.

I wish that D2D had a sale every Monday.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

Mount & Blade's combat looks pretty bad in all the videos I've seen. I'm sure the game is great, but I can't get over the crappy animations and unrealistic movement & combat. A medieval combat simulation it most certainly is not.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Woot! Stalker is back for $5. I didn't miss that oppurtunity again! Who wants to celebrate with me?!

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

M&B for $5? now that's more like it. i'll probably get it, but i wonder if the D2D version is patch/moddable?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KHAndAnime
Mount & Blade's combat looks pretty bad in all the videos I've seen. I'm sure the game is great, but I can't get over the crappy animations and unrealistic movement & combat. F1_2004
Mount & Blade has the best combat in any I've ever played, that isn't a shooting game.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KHAndAnime

I'm kind of surprised that so many people are saying such good things about... I've already forgotten the title of it... Mount and Blade.

Maybe it's one of those situations where the game is over-rated because it's a good game but people weren't expecting anything of it? Well I'm gettin' it anyway. I just spent ten dollars at Starbucks for a coffee and two doughnuts, so I should be able to find the five dollars for this.

I wish that D2D had a sale every Monday.

Charles_Dickens
Maybe it's not your thing. I find besieging castles and riding alongside my armies into battle very interesting. On top of that this game has a beastly modding community.
S0H0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 S0H0
Member since 2009 • 298 Posts
I played the Mount and Blade 0.751 beta a few years ago and thought it was pretty cool at the time, especially when you consider that the entire game was made by a husband and wife team from Turkey on a shoestring budget. At the time I thought the combat was good. The only problem was back when I played the beta, there was absolutely nothing to do besides fight and trade salt plus a few other goods. No story, no quests, no dialogue, a few NPC shops but not much of anything except a barren land dotted by a few small settlements and roaming raiders. The size of the current version makes make a little sceptical so I'd like to hear from players please: Does it have any meaningful content yet? Is there anything to do besides trade from one village to the next while fighting en-route? Has it been polished much? I appreciate any considered replies. :)
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Charles_Dickens

WTF?

Mount & Blade was made by a guy and his wife! Two people? LOL!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="S0H0"]I played the Mount and Blade 0.751 beta a few years ago and thought it was pretty cool at the time, especially when you consider that the entire game was made by a husband and wife team from Turkey on a shoestring budget. At the time I thought the combat was good. The only problem was back when I played the beta, there was absolutely nothing to do besides fight and trade salt plus a few other goods. No story, no quests, no dialogue, a few NPC shops but not much of anything except a barren land dotted by a few small settlements and roaming raiders. The size of the current version makes make a little sceptical so I'd like to hear from players please: Does it have any meaningful content yet? Is there anything to do besides trade from one village to the next while fighting en-route? Has it been polished much? I appreciate any considered replies. :)

They've added a *LOT*. Things that people thought would never happen are happening left and right. They added rag-doll, spruced up the graphics, and they're coming out with an expansion with multiplayer. There are a lot of quests now and a more things to do. The core of the game is still fighting though. Lots of mods to try as well.
S0H0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 S0H0
They've added a *LOT*. Things that people thought would never happen are happening left and right. They added rag-doll, spruced up the graphics, and they're coming out with an expansion with multiplayer. There are a lot of quests now and a more things to do. The core of the game is still fighting though. Lots of mods to try as well.KHAndAnime
Hey thanks mate. That's pretty much what I wanted to hear. I guess I should take my due diligence down a notch, since it's only $5. :lol:
marksman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 marksman101
Member since 2003 • 601 Posts

I believe Defense Grid is underrated. Back when it came out I paid twenty dollars for it and still think it's worth every penny..

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KHAndAnime

I believe Defense Grid is underrated. Back when it came out I paid twenty dollars for it and still think it's worth every penny..

marksman101

I agree. It's really a fun game. Better than that Popcap crap.

pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts

..And direct2drive is now down for maintenance. Anyone have a list of the latest sale games?

2uneek4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 2uneek4u
Member since 2006 • 2548 Posts

bioshock for $5 wow what a great deal

S0H0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 S0H0

..And direct2drive is now down for maintenance. Anyone have a list of the latest sale games?

pinneyapple
It's back up and the pages appear to be loading faster for me now. :) Even though I'm in Australia and severely limited to the few D2D worldwide releases, I've still managed to pick up Bioshock and will probably get Elven Legacy and Mount and Blade too. It's a shame as I probably would have picked up another half-dozen games had they been available here.
vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts

Tried the Mount and Blade demo on Steam. It was abysmal. Cannot see why people praise this game at all.

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts

Tried the Mount and Blade demo on Steam. It was abysmal. Cannot see why people praise this game at all.

vitriolboy
Not everyone will like every game. I personally love the game, as well as X3, East India Company, Galactic Civ 2, and other obscure games. Hell, I end up spending more time enjoying those games then I have by playing Crysis, C&C3, CoD 4, and other big budget titles. To each their own I guess....