Digital or Physical?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cpo335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 cpo335
Member since 2002 • 5463 Posts

Would you rather get a game digitally or have a physical copy? Why?

I'd prefer the physical copy, but I'm kind of torn between digital copies now. What are the advantages of getting a digital copy barring release day access?

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Easier to manage and install/keep up to date and this one is 50-50, prices, sometimes retail is cheaper (on release it's always cheaper to go retail), but most of the time sales go lower than retail prices.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts
Usually depends on price but generally I still prefer physical copies, mainly because internet speeds aren't fast enough here.
danygo1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 danygo1996
Member since 2009 • 377 Posts

Digital, you don't have to worry about losing the disc or manuals/key's that come with the game. and you can re-download it anytime.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Usually depends on price but generally I still prefer physical copies, mainly because internet speeds aren't fast enough here.hrt_rulz01
I hear you fellow Aussie. Here we have monthly limits, so it's not like we can just download everything. With me it depends on price, but sometimes if u preorder at the store u get good prices and some nice extras. When I buy on Steam I even use my work's internet to download.
madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts
Digital for me. Saves storing room and eventually a game just gathers dust. I used to love to collect boxes and show them on my shelves but i have outgrown that and not value it anymore. It is also nice when you dont have the physical at hand you can just download it and have a go.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Digital by far!

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I always go digital if I can. I play mostly indie games now. Most of them are not released at retail anyways.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#10 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Whatever is cheaper. So, usually digital.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

digital for me. No use having a pile of boxes taking up space and that ill never touch again

pathofneo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#12 pathofneo99
Member since 2012 • 125 Posts
I'll go against the grain and say physical still. I just prefer something tangible, something to hold in my hands and saying it's mine. Plus.. this is psychological but generally when I buy something digital I don't seem to appreciate it as much. It's like I paid $5 for a big game and I'll get around to it sometime and never do. But with a physical copy I always have it on the shelf and it garnishes my interest more over the years.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
digital all the way. funny how 5 years ago i'd have never believed you if you told me i'd prefer digital copies in the future, and now i'm an advocate of digital distribution.
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

If all games were like the Witcher, I'd say physical. Removing the requirement to have the disc in the tray, was a great move.

Of course sometimes, digital is necessary, when finding a physical copy is impossible.

Having said all that, all of the games I've bought in the past two years, have been on Steam.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Physical, I like having something physical for my money.. and when the online servers go down for whatever online service you bought the game from, you lose everything. I can still install and load my disc copy of Age of Mythology any time I want.. will I be able to do that with my digital copies in 20 years? Who knows.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

Physical, I like having something physical for my money.. and when the online servers go down for whatever online service you bought the game from, you lose everything. I can still install and load my disc copy of Age of Mythology any time I want.. will I be able to do that with my digital copies in 20 years? Who knows.Rattlesnake_8
Most new games actually require that you register an account, online checks, DRM etc... so having a disk is useless if your game can't call mothership to do its thing.

With that said, older games are fine. I probably have 80-ish and most can be played offline.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Physical, I like having something physical for my money.. and when the online servers go down for whatever online service you bought the game from, you lose everything. I can still install and load my disc copy of Age of Mythology any time I want.. will I be able to do that with my digital copies in 20 years? Who knows.flipin_jackass

Most new games actually require that you register an account, online checks, DRM etc... so having a disk is useless if your game can't call mothership to do its thing.

With that said, older games are fine. I probably have 80-ish and most can be played offline.

The disk comes in handy for the install. It's always quicker to install from a DVD than the Internet.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
[QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Physical, I like having something physical for my money.. and when the online servers go down for whatever online service you bought the game from, you lose everything. I can still install and load my disc copy of Age of Mythology any time I want.. will I be able to do that with my digital copies in 20 years? Who knows.FelipeInside

The disk comes in handy for the install. It's always quicker to install from a DVD than the Internet.

yep, thats the main reason my last few games have been physical, even though they were steamworks games. the last digital big game I got was Max Payne 3 and they screwed the preload so I didnt get to play it till the day after instead of on release day due to the 30GB download and crappy Aus net.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Would you rather get a game digitally or have a physical copy? Why?

I'd prefer the physical copy, but I'm kind of torn between digital copies now. What are the advantages of getting a digital copy barring release day access?

cpo335

I prefer physical but I don't mind digital. I prefer physical because I like the physical manuals and I like my gaming closet that I show off to friends. That being said I won't buy physical if it costs too much. For instance I bought Need For Speed: The Run yesterday for $5 from Gamersgate. EB Games had it on sale for $20. I am not going to pay $15 more just to have my pretty manual and a sexy closet.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts
[QUOTE="hrt_rulz01"]Usually depends on price but generally I still prefer physical copies, mainly because internet speeds aren't fast enough here.FelipeInside
I hear you fellow Aussie. Here we have monthly limits, so it's not like we can just download everything. With me it depends on price, but sometimes if u preorder at the store u get good prices and some nice extras. When I buy on Steam I even use my work's internet to download.

Yeah that's right mate... Especially since games are getting bigger and bigger too. It's just too hard to download. Plus I find that 80% of the time it's actually cheaper to buy a physical copy, which is wierd.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

I'd rather have physical however digital is just so easy and inexpensive that I rarely find myself purchasing physical anymore

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#22 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I like game boxes (and steelbooks) but most games these days have atrocious manuals and very little else. Since I get digital significantly cheaper 90% of the time most of my purchase are digital.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mitu123

I like game boxes (and steelbooks) but most games these days have atrocious manuals and very little else. Since I get digital significantly cheaper 90% of the time most of my purchase are digital. nutcrackr
They put so much effort into manuals in the past that it's sickening to see how they are nowadays!

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#24 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Oh, I forgot that I actually rage-quit boxed copies after having to install Batman: AC. So, I guess digital now, but I still consider boxed copies provided that they're cheap, but I would need to do a little homework first.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]

[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Physical, I like having something physical for my money.. and when the online servers go down for whatever online service you bought the game from, you lose everything. I can still install and load my disc copy of Age of Mythology any time I want.. will I be able to do that with my digital copies in 20 years? Who knows.FelipeInside

not on my internet *struts around* :P

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Physical. Digital if the game is on sale and I really wanted to play it.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="flipin_jackass"] Most new games actually require that you register an account, online checks, DRM etc... so having a disk is useless if your game can't call mothership to do its thing.

wis3boi

not on my internet *struts around* :P

DVD still faster. :P
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chickan_117

DVD still faster. :PFelipeInside
If we both picked a game I'd bet that I could buy, download and install it faster than you could drive to the shops, purchase it, drive home and install it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]DVD still faster. :PChickan_117

If we both picked a game I'd bet that I could buy, download and install it faster than you could drive to the shops, purchase it, drive home and install it.

There is a thing called home delivery ya know.... :P And probably not anyway, my local Game Shop is a 5 minute drive.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="Chickan_117"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]DVD still faster. :PFelipeInside

There is a thing called home delivery ya know.... :P And probably not anyway, my local Game Shop is a 5 minute drive.

still faster. and saves on gas.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Chickan_117"]If we both picked a game I'd bet that I could buy, download and install it faster than you could drive to the shops, purchase it, drive home and install it.BrunoBRS

Nope, DVD STILL FASTER !!! :P
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] There is a thing called home delivery ya know.... :P And probably not anyway, my local Game Shop is a 5 minute drive.

Not for lucky people :P, now it's even faster for me, the isp raised the speed with 50%, now 150 upload 150 download, went from 11 mb/s on Origin to 15.4 mb and due to Dota 2, Valve added more servers around the world clearing up the bandwidth for content servers making downloads finally reach the 10 mb mark. With most games having day one patches and them starting to decompress lots of data from discs, it's faster to just download, even if we're talking huge games like GTA ( WoW is the only game I can think of installing faster from the disc, but it depends on how much time downloading its patches would take after the base install).
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] still faster. and saves on gas.

Not for lucky people :P, now it's even faster for me, the isp raised the speed with 50%, now 150 upload 150 download, went from 11 mb/s on Origin to 15.4 mb and due to Dota 2, Valve added more servers around the world clearing up the bandwidth for content servers making downloads finally reach the 10 mb mark. With most games having day one patches and them starting to decompress lots of data from discs, it's faster to just download, even if we're talking huge games like GTA ( WoW is the only game I can think of installing faster from the disc, but it depends on how much time downloading its patches would take after the base install).

Looks like the Internet might be reaching DVD Transfer Speeds soon, as long as the server is pumping out at full speed always, which sometimes doesn't happen.
Frieza99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Frieza99
Member since 2012 • 228 Posts
Digital is better for me.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I personally like buying physical copies of games, in fact i don't even think i've ever purchased a game online.

But having said that buying games digitally are way cheaper in the long run, and there's so many cool deals going around, so things may change for me.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Right - I forgot to mention that. The main reason I've been buying from Steam - is the prices during the sales.

But - I remember 10 years ago when sites like this one said that downloading games was the wave of the future, because it would cut the cost of new games in half.

That turned out to be a big fat lie . . . didn't it?

zyphyr2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zyphyr2k12
Member since 2012 • 277 Posts

I'm all about the digital, mainly because I have a relatively fast internet connection. I live a good 45 minutes away from any place that I can buy retail pc games so it's just more convenient and cost effective to download a game.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#38 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Physical mostly for nostalgia's sake. Also, it gives the owner a better sense of value as opposed to a game that can be downloaded and deleted at will and requires no real thought or care that comes with ownership...

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mitu123

[QUOTE="Chickan_117"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]DVD still faster. :PFelipeInside

There is a thing called home delivery ya know.... :P

Yeah, like waiting a day or more later...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Chickan_117"]If we both picked a game I'd bet that I could buy, download and install it faster than you could drive to the shops, purchase it, drive home and install it.

mitu123

There is a thing called home delivery ya know.... :P

Nope, EB Games deliver same day release day. Or u can pick up from store release date. And what's a day anyway. I'm not as desperate as other gamers to play the game straight away at 1 minute past release time.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#41 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I like digital because there aren't any games/discs/boxes cluttering everything up. I like physical because I know if anything happens I have the disc at the very least (though that can mean nada these days).

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Physical copy as long as the prices are close to the same.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I buy full priced games in physical form. Their already digital just the physical copy is much faster to install.

If my internet was faster then i'd go digital for all my games.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chickan_117

I think Felipe has lost track of his argument somewhere along the line.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

Chickan_117
I never argued about anything. The topic asks which one do you normally get. And I said, I get the one that is normally cheaper, or more convenient. The Physical copies here are normally same price as digital or even sometimes cheaper, and I don't have to use my download quota or wait for it to download. What have I lost track of?
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] There is a thing called home delivery ya know.... :P FelipeInside

Nope, EB Games deliver same day release day. Or u can pick up from store release date. And what's a day anyway. I'm not as desperate as other gamers to play the game straight away at 1 minute past release time.

In my experience various stores don't always have the game I want on day one. Well a day sooner is better than a day later...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="mitu123"] Yeah, like waiting a day or more later...

mitu123

In my experience various stores don't always have the game I want on day one. Well a day sooner is better than a day later...

I'm not really picky with days. I can just play something else if I need to wait an extra 12 hours. Saying that, I guess I'm lucky cause the EB Games I buy at always have the game on Day 1. Heck, they even gave me Call of Duty Black Ops the day before cause I'm a regular customer.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chickan_117

[QUOTE="Chickan_117"]

FelipeInside

I never argued about anything. What have I lost track of?

Ok maybe argue isn't the right word. Light hearted discuss? Lol

You said DVD was faster than DL. I responded saying that I thought I could download a new game before you were able to go to a shop buy it and come home, blah blah blah, bit of back and forth then you posted

And what's a day anyway. I'm not as desperate as other gamers to play the game straight away at 1 minute past release time.FelipeInside

It's not really important. My response was intended light heartedly.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Chickan_117"] I never argued about anything. What have I lost track of?Chickan_117

Ok maybe argue isn't the right word. Light hearted discuss? Lol

You said DVD was faster than DL. I responded saying that I thought I could download a new game before you were able to go to a shop buy it and come home, blah blah blah, bit of back and forth then you posted

And what's a day anyway. I'm not as desperate as other gamers to play the game straight away at 1 minute past release time.FelipeInside

It's not really important. My response was intended light heartedly.

Ah, sorry if I took it the wrong way. Yeah, it doesn't really matter and what we were "light heartily discussing" really is pointless anyway. BOTH systems have their ups and downs, and it also depends where you live.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

Digital.

A: It's usually a lot cheaper

B: I can still back up my games/files on disks or on other drives for later use

C: I can access my games through downloading the game again, not just by storage.

D: More money goes to the developers than for boxed retail copies.

E: I can usually get the game earlier when using digital stores (preloading and whatnot)

F: Better for the environment I guess