Desktop starts, sometimes.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IronBeaver
Member since 2009 • 1986 Posts

So about a week and a half ago, I was playing a game when it froze, and I had to restart the computer. It would not boot past the MOBO splash page. I did some reading and pulled out the BIOS battery for a few minutes and reseated it, and that seemed to work. Then it happened the next day. Since then I have jumped the BIOS, reseated RAM, ran memtest, reseated other cables, tried Windows Repair, and eventually something worked because I had no problems for about a week. I could game and everything.

Now I go to try it tonight and it won't boot past the MOBO screen again. Take note though, that a few times in this whole fiasco it would boot to the "setting up windows" screen, but freeze and I had to reset it. I am at a loss, really. Anyone have any ideas? The whole issue seems really enigmatic and I really have no desire to replace anything besides the PSU (650w, btw).

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

You could all ways reformat and reinstall windows. Seems to work for a lot of people. Would just need to back up your files and start on a fresh OS.

vedette20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vedette20
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Sometimes it had something to do with CPU temperature. Did you check your desktop temperature when you are playing. I experienced that once. My computer temperature rose up at 52 while playing. It can be also the cause of your computer froze.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

@vedette20 said:

Sometimes it had something to do with CPU temperature. Did you check your desktop temperature when you are playing. I experienced that once. My computer temperature rose up at 52 while playing. It can be also the cause of your computer froze.

52 degrees(in both Celsius and Fahrenheit) is not high for a computer under load.

IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IronBeaver

@horgen123:

@horgen123 said:

@vedette20 said:

52 degrees(in both Celsius and Fahrenheit) is not high for a computer under load.

If it was overheating, then why would it have trouble booting a day after it has been off?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

@IronBeaver said:

@horgen123:

@horgen123 said:

@vedette20 said:

If it was overheating, then why would it have trouble booting a day after it has been off?

It might take awhile before it overheats if it has some cooling. Of course if that is the problem, I would check the CPU fan and heatsink. If it is full of dust then clean it.

IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IronBeaver

Okay so I just turned it on for the first time in two days, and it is working fine again....

edit: Installed some temp monitoring software. With nothing running but a few normal background programs, the temps are no higher than like 30 degrees C. I started a game and the temps didn't really go above 40. The game froze very soon, had to turn off computer. Wouldn't turn back on. I remembered reading once recently that changing the SATA port of the HDD might do something. DId that, and computer starts. But this has been kinda a trend I have noticed too: anytime I fiddle with some piece of hardware, the thing works for at least a day...

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Man i really wish i could help. Please keep us posted. Ive been in the same position and have never found the cause. VERY INTERESTING

IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IronBeaver

So I did fine with a new SATA port since I last posted. But it is still uncooperative sometimes.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Reformatting while not optional is sometimes the best method. You could also try a restore point to a time when it worked.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

It's not the motherboard cuz it will post, and it's not the battery cuz you would get an error. 80% of the time the first thing to die is the power supply. Let me know if that fixes it.

Ok so anyway make sure to get a Bronze one from newegg.com they are great. Or just go to newegg and search for a Bronze power supply, at least 750 watts. Make sure is that that Bronze or Silver seal. That means that the PSU operates at the 75-85% during heavy load and maximum capacity.

Power supplies are the most important component and if they fail they can kill your video card or other stuff, never buy cheap.

woomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#13 woomar
Member since 2008 • 172 Posts

Did you overclock the CPU or the GPU ?

IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IronBeaver

@woomar Nope. Never tried it.

@Realmjumper I guess I will try and get one. My only concern is I am not to familiar with PSU shopping. Maybe it's a stupid question, but do I have take measurements to make sure it will fit in my case? And do I need to make sure it has the right amount of cables

HailtotheQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 HailtotheQueen
Member since 2014 • 290 Posts

Good luck, I have been having serious issues myself with bluescreens and bios issues the past month. I just now (last night) think I may have it fixed but I'm not positive yet. A friend is coming over tomorrow to try something and hopefully I will be back on again after I install windows on my new hard drive. I love PCs but they can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

@@ After further review my best guess it's two things, the power supply or the motherboard. How are your motherboard capacitors? (Those are the cylinder looking batteries just google for more info)

If they are expanding then your mobo could be dieng on you, if not then it's the PSU. Google some bad capacitors on motherboards so you can see what I am talking about.

As far as the power supply most these days are the same size for an ATX case. If you have a 650watts then you probably have an ATX case as AT cases (Old Pentium 1, and 2's) are pretty much non existent in the marketplace unless you go to specialty websites or visit someone's home.

Look inside your case and determine how many connectors you have. More than likely most of them just go to the motherboard, harddrive/cd drives, and MAYBE a PCI Express 4 or 6 pin connector to your video card. (You can google this so you understand what they look like)

You might also have one or two going to side fans or rear fans on your case. These are the 4 pin plastic with metal inside Again just google.

If this is the case then you will need a power supply that includes a PCI Express connector. What kind of video card do you have?

I'll check regularly to update. Here is a good power supply. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

The wattage might not be enough though it really depends on how many components you have. However the reason why I want you to take a look at the power supply is because of the specifications.

It is VERY important these days to have

• ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91
  • Modular
  • 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
  • 100 - 240 V 50/60 Hz
  • +3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V1@20A, +12V2@20A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A

The +12V rails @ 20 amps each is crucial. These rails will handle the voltage necessary for your videocard under heavy load. Without these system components can fail.

The 80 plus bronze certified means that during testing this power supply is guaranteed to run at a high % typically 80-90%. This one is rated at Super High Efficiency (up to 87%).

Here are a couple more good one's with more watts. I put them from low price to high for you. Also with Modular power supplies that just means you plug in the power cables you need which can save you space. (The Power supply has slots where you plug it in, it's really easy)

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152042
  2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152047
  3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438007

Just note the 2nd one has one single rail 20v running @53 amps. I've never tried those but based on the reviews they should be fine. So your choice.

How to install it just youtube or read the instructions. You just unplug everything, inside and out, unscrew the PSU. remove it, then put in the new one and plug everything back. (With Modular u select the amount of cables you need to plug in which can save you space). Use some rubber bands or velcro (sometimes it comes with it) to wrap the cables for better airflow.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@Realmjumper: Unless he's running dual graphics cards he doesn't need a 700w power supply.

IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IronBeaver

@Realmjumper said:

@@ After further review my best guess it's two things, the power supply or the motherboard. How are your motherboard capacitors? (Those are the cylinder looking batteries just google for more info)

If they are expanding then your mobo could be dieng on you, if not then it's the PSU. Google some bad capacitors on motherboards so you can see what I am talking about.

As far as the power supply most these days are the same size for an ATX case. If you have a 650watts then you probably have an ATX case as AT cases (Old Pentium 1, and 2's) are pretty much non existent in the marketplace unless you go to specialty websites or visit someone's home.

Look inside your case and determine how many connectors you have. More than likely most of them just go to the motherboard, harddrive/cd drives, and MAYBE a PCI Express 4 or 6 pin connector to your video card. (You can google this so you understand what they look like)

You might also have one or two going to side fans or rear fans on your case. These are the 4 pin plastic with metal inside Again just google.

If this is the case then you will need a power supply that includes a PCI Express connector. What kind of video card do you have?

I'll check regularly to update. Here is a good power supply. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

The wattage might not be enough though it really depends on how many components you have. However the reason why I want you to take a look at the power supply is because of the specifications.

It is VERY important these days to have

• ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91
  • Modular
  • 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
  • 100 - 240 V 50/60 Hz
  • +3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V1@20A, +12V2@20A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A

The +12V rails @ 20 amps each is crucial. These rails will handle the voltage necessary for your videocard under heavy load. Without these system components can fail.

The 80 plus bronze certified means that during testing this power supply is guaranteed to run at a high % typically 80-90%. This one is rated at Super High Efficiency (up to 87%).

Here are a couple more good one's with more watts. I put them from low price to high for you. Also with Modular power supplies that just means you plug in the power cables you need which can save you space. (The Power supply has slots where you plug it in, it's really easy)

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152042
  2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152047
  3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438007

Just note the 2nd one has one single rail 20v running @53 amps. I've never tried those but based on the reviews they should be fine. So your choice.

How to install it just youtube or read the instructions. You just unplug everything, inside and out, unscrew the PSU. remove it, then put in the new one and plug everything back. (With Modular u select the amount of cables you need to plug in which can save you space). Use some rubber bands or velcro (sometimes it comes with it) to wrap the cables for better airflow.

Checked out my capacitors. None of them are blown it seems. Also, I have a GTX460 (there are 2 PCIE cables from PSU in it). Thanks for helping too man :)