• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

I was browsing EA's store because they're having a sale and I noticed that they listed Crysis 2 for $60. Sorry if old. Hopefully many people on PC won't support this new pricing trend thanks to Call of Dooky. I personally seen nothing about Crysis 2 that can somehow justify it to be $10 more than most other games on the platform.

http://eastore.ea.com/DRHM/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ea&Locale=en_US&ThemeID=718200&Env=BASE&productID=184052400

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Funny thing , though, that the currency exchange rates with USD and the country I'm living in, $60 games will cost the same as when I bought CoD4 and The Orange Box and back then , they were like $50. I don't mind paying at that price as long as they offer a lot of content.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

It is funny because there is 0 justification for this recent cost increase on pc (no console manufacturer to take a cut). It's just greed. And its 10 bucks and people who really want to play the game, myself included, won't hesitate to spend an extra 10 bucks and this is why they do it.

M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#4 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

OMG this is just awesome!

Thanks a lot Activision! :evil: (for starting all this with MW2)

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

M3tr4nk0

There have been games before MW2 that has a $60 price tag. As for game companies, they know that a big blockbuster game is going to sell no matter what. They are greedy and increase the price. It is a brilliant move because everyone shrugs off $10 like it's no big deal, but to the publisher/developer, it's a huge cash cow.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blues35301
[QUOTE="M3tr4nk0"]

SF_KiLLaMaN
There have been games before MW2 that has a $60 price tag. As for game companies, they know that a blig blockbuster game is going to sell no matter what. They are greedy and increase the price. It is a brilliant move because everyone shrugs off $10 like it's on big deal, but the the publisher/developer, it's a huge cash cow.

Exactly. An extra 10 dollars at 0 cost means if it sells 5 million copies that 50 million dollars more straight profit that they just pocketed. It's really smart and we pay the price. I'm not gonna boycott a game I want for 10 bucks though. It isn't a lot to the individual but it adds up fast. Thats business.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#7 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Are we really going to have this type of thread every time this happens? If you're not willing to spend the extra $10 just don't buy it. Again, I refer to how much games in other places cost. All of the games I buy at retail are normally $79 (au) and thats a discount!

I also have to question how long Kevin Van Ord is going to lower PC game scores for this. If it does become a regular aspect for games, which it looks like it is, is he still going to put it in his negative criteria?

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

LOL I don't care!

Games are SUPER CHEAP where I live!

Convert that into USD:P

Photobucket

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="M3tr4nk0"]

SF_KiLLaMaN

There have been games before MW2 that has a $60 price tag. As for game companies, they know that a blig blockbuster game is going to sell no matter what. They are greedy and increase the price. It is a brilliant move because everyone shrugs off $10 like it's on big deal, but the the publisher/developer, it's a huge cash cow.

Pretty much this... the justification is that they can still sell it at a higher price tag. When a publisher never speaks on a odd price tag, it's clearly because they just know people will buy it anyway. Meanwhile you have Codemasters selling F1 2010 pre-orders on Steam for $36.

The saddest thing in all this is that when games are on the EA store, there's no middleman taking a split of the profit, it's all going straight to the publisher. So how they can do that on their own site is just terrible, if anything they should be pushing the absolute cheapest price.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I think EA will quickly realize that Crysis 2 is no MW2 or SC2, so $60 probably won't be too appealing to most people thinking of getting it.
sandeep410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sandeep410
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts

LOL I don't care!

Photobucket

call_of_duty_10

You will have to pay double of that for crysis 2 and thats as much as paying for a console game

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

To be honest I have some interest but not enough to buy the game at this point(price tag doesn't help), still sticking to the 1st and hopefully get Warhead.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blues35301
I think EA will quickly realize that Crysis 2 is no MW2 or SC2, so $60 probably won't be too appealing to most people thinking of getting it.General_X
Well Console games are all 60 anyway so that makes no difference to anyone in that crowd interested. And Crysis is a big deal for pc gamers these days. I know I'll be day one buying it even though I have yet to be impressed by anything shown. I'm waiting for that maxed dx11 pc footage!
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It is funny because there is 0 justification for this recent cost increase on pc (no console manufacturer to take a cut). It's just greed. And its 10 bucks and people who really want to play the game, myself included, won't hesitate to spend an extra 10 bucks and this is why they do it.

blues35301

Really? 0 justification?

How about having to hire probably 25+ more programmers just to give us the graphical quality we all expect from a DX11 game. Or how about the extra money it costs to put in the high quality audio with half-decent voice actors with studio quality sounds.

This stuff ain't cheap anymore. PC people are not entitled to price cuts just because PC titles have always been cheaper.

Face it, development costs have skyrocketed. No half-decent graphics programmer is going to work for less than 50,000 a year... and when you need 30 of them over a couple of years of development, it drives up costs.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Why not $61? Are these game publishers stupid? Better yet, why not $62?
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

LOL I don't care!

Photobucket

sandeep410

You will have to pay double of that for crysis 2 and thats as much as paying for a console game

You don't get it. Crysis 2 will cost about $20 where I live,like all PC games.

sandeep410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sandeep410
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts

[QUOTE="sandeep410"]

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

LOL I don't care!

Photobucket

call_of_duty_10

You don't get it. Crysis 2 will cost about $20 where I live,like all PC games.

You are not the only one living in India. Besides Dragon age is Rs 2000 so is Mass effect 2.So will be crysis 2.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blues35301

[QUOTE="blues35301"]

Wasdie

Really? 0 justification?

How about having to hire probably 25+ more programmers just to give us the graphical quality we all expect from a DX11 game. Or how about the extra money it costs to put in the high quality audio with half-decent voice actors with studio quality sounds.

This stuff ain't cheap anymore. PC people are not entitled to price cuts just because PC titles have always been cheaper.

Face it, development costs have skyrocketed. No half-decent graphics programmer is going to work for less than 50,000 a year... and when you need 30 of them over a couple of years of development, it drives up costs.

You're guessing at how many people they hired? And still...its not justified. I'm not saying its super evil but I'm sure other devs go through similar opporating costs and expansion but don't charge extra money for their game when doing so. Seriously I know what you're saying but that is a horrible and untrue way to justify the extra 10 bucks. Crysis 1 was far more ambitious for its time and it didn't suddenly cost more to produce those graphics.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

I figured they would do this since they did it with MoH, and reception of that game has been far more lukewarm than Crysis 2's. Pretty unfortunate.

However, keep in mind you'll inevitably be able to order it somewhere "on sale" for $50. Amazon has the preorder for $50 with free shipping right now (though it doesn't stipulate that it's the limited edition right now, but I'm sure it will closer to release).

Are we really going to have this type of thread every time this happens? If you're not willing to spend the extra $10 just don't buy it. Again, I refer to how much games in other places cost. All of the games I buy at retail are normally $79 (au) and thats a discount!

biggest_loser

That just means Australians are getting ripped off extra hard.

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

Games have not always been $50, you know. I remember paying $60 for new adventure titles, or $70 to $100 for the CD-ROM version. And that was in the 90's.

nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts

[QUOTE="blues35301"]

Wasdie

Really? 0 justification?

Dirt 2, Metro 2033, Battlefield Bad Company 2 and STALKER Call of Pripyat, have all been 50$, the later even 40$ and they're all also DX11. There's no denying Crysis 2 will be INCREDIBLY consolized, in other words we'll be getting a worse version of the original Crysis at a higher price point. No thanks, I'm staying away from this one. The one and ONLY 60$ PC game I've bought is Starcraft 2, and that's because it's a game of incredible quality and one that I will be playing for the next couple of years, so it's very worth it.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Well. Seeing as how the PC will be the superior version, I do not mind paying $60 at all. I own consoles as well, and I would feel cheated if I purchased the console version for $60. Too bad though, I would still prefer $50 price tag. Saving money is always a good thing.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Dissapointing, but ill still get it nomatter what as long as it includes mod tools. If it doesnt then screw that.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

Games have not always been $50, you know. I remember paying $60 for new adventure titles, or $70 to $100 for the CD-ROM version. And that was in 90's.

dos4gw82

Most old games weren't that much in my experience, though. In the early 90's, most PC games were $30-$35 (e.g., Bio Menace, Duke Nukem, each Keen game [which we now recognize as two games split into three episodes each, minus Keen Dreams], Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Blake Stone, Jill of the Jungle, Xargon, etc.), and later $40 (Doom, Jazz Jackrabbit, and a bunch of others I'm too lazy to go refresh my memory on). From there, the $40 standard for full price for most games stuck on into the early 2000's, around which time I remember full price increased to $50 standard.

Well. Seeing as how the PC will be the superior version, I do not mind paying $60 at all. I own consoles as well, and I would feel cheated if I purchased the console version for $60. Too bad though, I would still prefer $50 price tag. Saving money is always a good thing.Elann2008

Like I said in my first post in the topic, look out for places selling at a quote, unquote "discount" price of $50 like Amazon is doing right now.

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

Games have not always been $50, you know. I remember paying $60 for new adventure titles, or $70 to $100 for the CD-ROM version. And that was in 90's.

JP_Russell

Most old games weren't that much in my experience, though. In the early 90's, most PC games were $30-$35 (e.g., Bio Menace, Duke Nukem, each Keen game [which we now recognize as two games split into three episodes each, minus Keen Dreams], Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Blake Stone, Jill of the Jungle, Xargon, etc.), and later $40 (Doom, Jazz Jackrabbit, and a bunch of others I'm too lazy to go refresh my memory on). From there, the $40 standard for full price for most games stuck on into the early 2000's, around which time I remember full price increased to $50 standard.

We must have been playing different games, then. I primarily played adventure games back then, and didn't buy many shooters or action games.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

JP_Russell

Well. Seeing as how the PC will be the superior version, I do not mind paying $60 at all. I own consoles as well, and I would feel cheated if I purchased the console version for $60. Too bad though, I would still prefer $50 price tag. Saving money is always a good thing.Elann2008

Like I said in my first post in the topic, look out for places selling at a quote, unquote "discount" price of $50 like Amazon is doing right now.

Thank you for the heads up. I'll definitely do that. :D
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

Do you guys not realise that all games have a higher rrp than what they sell for? In england its normally £50 rrp but every shop sells for £40 (unless it's mw2, in that case we pay £45 -.-). Of course it'll be more expensive on EA's site, i bet it says its $50 for assasins creed brotherhood too.

EDIT: I mean £50 rrp for console games

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34660 Posts

I also have to question how long Kevin Van Ord is going to lower PC game scores for this. If it does become a regular aspect for games, which it looks like it is, is he still going to put it in his negative criteria?

biggest_loser

Isn't knowing the value of a game kind of good? I like when they give games the "get more than your money's worth" emblem. Maybe he shouldn't lower the score, but it's nice to know. Who cares about the number anyway? Reading the review is the interesting part.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

sandeep410

you said double? its still going to be cheaper then a console game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

I will gladly pay that price if it offers the same experience as crysis did. But it doesn't seem to be that way, from the gameplay movies I've seen the levels look much smaller and there is much less sandbox gameplay. It seems more linear this time around and I'm getting really sick of those kind of FPS.

Also the graphics don't seem that much of an improvement even though the time gap is almost 4 years whereas between Far Cry and Crysis it was 3 years with a huge difference in graphics. But I'll wait for more PC footage before making my judgement on that subject

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="blues35301"]

Wasdie

Really? 0 justification?

fair enough I guess, still annoying knowing that the cost is lower for the publisher but the same for us. If the game is any good Ill still get it.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

I'm not sure about the final price. In my country MoH was marked at 60 € in PC, but now that the ship date is near I saw that in most of stores the price tag is only 50 €, as was BF: BC 2 and most of the PC games for years and years -I paid the same 50 € equivalent for almost all my PC games in the last 6 years.

Anyway, the possible extra 10 bucks isn't my main concern about the game. The lack of drivable vehicles in the mp, the reduced size of the maps and max population supported, or the absence of on fly weapon customization looks like a more serious problem than a increase in the price tag.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="M3tr4nk0"]

SF_KiLLaMaN

There have been games before MW2 that has a $60 price tag. As for game companies, they know that a big blockbuster game is going to sell no matter what. They are greedy and increase the price. It is a brilliant move because everyone shrugs off $10 like it's no big deal, but to the publisher/developer, it's a huge cash cow.

True. MS Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition was still like $70 almost a year after release. I can't even remember how much it was when it initially released.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

I've noticed that in the past 20 years, Western European and American kids have been taught in the government run schools to never fight back.

They have been brainwashed into believing that they should just take it, when someone tries to rip them off, charges more money for a product than what it's worth, flies airplanes into buildings , etc.

BUT - - they will attack anyone who DOES try to stand up for themselves.

About 50% of our young people have become wimps.

I will NOT pay 60 dollars for a game, unfortunately though, there will be people with no self respect - who will.

badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
SC2 was also $60
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
A quick look at my Amazon tells me that PC Crysis 2 will be 55 Euro in contrast to the consoles version for 70 Euro. So yeah, no reason to complain. Same price as usual here.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

[QUOTE="blues35301"]

Wasdie

Really? 0 justification?

Actually, just the other day, EA has stated that game budgets have peaked and are now moving in the reverse direction again. It's a cycle that repeats itself every generation.

Anyway, Crysis 2 is listed at 50€ for me so that's the normal price. I also took a glance at Amazon UK and they have it for 27 pounds (MSRP 35 pounds) so I guess the price hike is America-only.

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts
Shame, I was looking forward to this. $60 is unacceptable and I will be seeing Crysis 2 in a bargain bin when I get it.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="blues35301"]

Wasdie

Really? 0 justification?

You say that as if other developers don't run into these issues. Sorry, after seeing other DX11 titles and other quality PC exclusives release at a $50 price, I find this hard to believe there's justification behind it. You know it and I know it, 'EA' is only doing it because they think they can get away with it.
mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

lol its gone up £2 on amazon so its £26.99 for UK was £25.

mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

You know, i'm usually the first person to get angry and vocal when I see another game at $60, but i have to agree with a couple posters here, development costs have changed significantly. Seriously, check out the length of credits at the end of the game. Compare just 5 years ago to today. The typical game has doubled in the number of people it has take in that time. And from 5 years ago to 10 years ago, it seems to have doubled again. These are very rough approximations, but its true.

Also, doesnt it seem more common that a game company suffers an annual loss these days? If they are losing money, they will go out of business....and that is bad for all of us who like games.

morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

[QUOTE="blues35301"]

Wasdie

Really? 0 justification?

Then why arn't consoles games $70?

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="blues35301"]

morrowindnic

Really? 0 justification?

Then why arn't consoles games $70?

Because then they'd have to actually offer an explanation.
C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts
Yea game's are getting pretty expensive, but we have the choice whether or not to keep up with modern gaming, I usually lag behind 1-2 years from modern games, a few months at minimum. Hell it was only last month that I finally got around to getting Crysis 1. Loved the game although I found combating aliens boring and dreadful compared to punching North Koreans around.

Personally I would never pay 60$ for a game unless it was the holy grail of gaming, especially with a guaranteed xmas sale each year.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Wasn't planning on buying it anyway... same with MoH. They can keep their $60 games. I think they need to make sure the game series is pretty popular before they try a stunt like that, or they're gonna lose out.

FatSlasH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FatSlasH
Member since 2005 • 509 Posts

It's $50 where I live, try a different store...

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Blame it on the consoles I think their the main reason why PC games pricing is going up.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I honestly don't care, its obvious that development costs are much higher then they were in the past. If you are complaining about this and refuse to buy it because its 10$ more...then please quit PC gaming. While most of us want to have fun, you are part of the problem of why publishers don't take the PC platform seriously.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mystic-G

I honestly don't care, its obvious that development costs are much higher then they were in the past. If you are complaining about this and refuse to buy it because its 10$ more...then please quit PC gaming. While most of us want to have fun, you are part of the problem of why publishers don't take the PC platform seriously.

JangoWuzHere
Yea cause Crytek took PC gamers so seriously when they decided to go multiplatform because of piracy. That's why publishers don't take the platform seriously, not because we're dumb enough to buy a mainstream game at higher costs.