This topic is locked from further discussion.

overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 overhead_drums
Member since 2010 • 338 Posts

Hi Guys,

In the quest to make sure my HD 7970 works when it comes back from scan i am trying EVERY possibility out there including updating my BIOS.

So I have never upgraded it before and i dont think they did in the PC shop i took it to either. I downloaded ASUS update and the newest version it could find on the net was 1101 i think. Anyway, on the asus support page i was able to download version 1301 for my motherboard and OS and used the option in asus update to select that ROM file from my hard drive.

So i dont know why ASUS update couldn't find the 1301 version itself, I was wondering if that is becuase I shouldn't of installed that version.

Anyway, what does everyone think? I'm hoping that this is the reason why my 7970 spontanously and randomly blue screened and froze when the GTS 450 i have in it at the moment has not crashed one in about 2 weeks....

So my main questions are, Is this BIOS update (1301) okay for my MOBO (ASUS M4N98TD EVO), and what is the likelyhood of this being my problem from the start?

Any advice would be great! Cheers Guys!

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

If the file came from the page for that motherboard on the manufacturers website then all should be fine.

overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 overhead_drums

If the file came from the page for that motherboard on the manufacturers website then all should be fine.

kraken2109
Nice, Cheers Kraken. Fingers crossed that helps!
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

overhead_drums
Nice, Cheers Kraken. Fingers crossed that helps!

If it breaks anything then you should make a complaint because the company themselves have said it's suitable for that motherboard.
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts
I normally tell people to leave the BIOS alone because you can brick the mobo if you screw it up. It's not something that gets updated like a driver. Usually BIOS updates merely add functionality that no gamer would ever need, but in this case, the first item in the BIOS description is "improve system stability", so I would flash that puppy immediately. Just be very afraid, and don't mess up.
overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 overhead_drums
Cheers guys. Do you reckon that the older BIOS I had installed could of been causing issues with my 7970?
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
I normally tell people to leave the BIOS alone because you can brick the mobo if you screw it up. It's not something that gets updated like a driver. Usually BIOS updates merely add functionality that no gamer would ever need, but in this case, the first item in the BIOS description is "improve system stability", so I would flash that puppy immediately. Just be very afraid, and don't mess up.Blistrax
depends on the motherboard but there isnt much to fear in flashing a mobo, hell, some of them can do it without a cpu/ram installed now. Some even have a dual BIOS so you can flash back if anything does go wrong. Ive flashed many a BIOS on both mobo and gpu and havent had an issue. The easiest way is to do it via usb key, otherwise you can always do it from within windows given the right app provided by the manufacturer.
overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 overhead_drums
Well my computer still turns on and such, so i suppose i haven't balls'd it up at least! But do you reckon my 7970 will work now?
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
try it...
5SI-GonePostal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 5SI-GonePostal
Member since 2004 • 391 Posts

Well my computer still turns on and such, so i suppose i haven't balls'd it up at least! But do you reckon my 7970 will work now?overhead_drums

Possible but doubt it (i hope it does for you buddy, we all know how **** stuff like this can be) - if this doesnt work my main priority now would be sticking it in another PC ASAP, this will tell you if there is a problem with the card or not. 

overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 overhead_drums
Cheers for the advice lads, I will try another PC, fingers crossed!